C/D Comparo: Colorada vs. Tacoma.

Damn that really was a slaughter. I'm shocked to see the Taco tanked it on the transmission portion. GM isn't really known for ideal 6-speed tuning, but it hammered the Toyota 10 points to 5. I thought the Taco's new V6 would at least give it a straight line advantage too, since it's so much lighter, but that's not the case either!

Meanwhile, GM is sitting on two newer V6 engines (4.3L ecotec3 and LGX) and an 8-speed auto when it wants to refresh their midsize trucks.

• Agree 1

I am surprised that the Colorado came out that far ahead, just because of the reputation the Tacoma has. Most thought the Tacoma update would be an equalizer but it is far from it. It shows how far GM has come with the Colorado and how complacent Toyota has been. Kudos to GM here.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Removed quotes from earlier thread trolling
  • Agree 1

Complete domination by the Colorado. Again, I am surprised. This is why Ford needs to bring back the Ranger and make the competition that much stiffer. The Colorado sure put the Tacoma on notice here.

Edited by Drew Dowdell
Removed quotes from earlier thread trolling
  • Agree 1

To be fair, this win was as inevitable as the tides. GM came to the segment loaded for bear and whatever players were still hawking product were doomed to be cannon fodder.

Still, a 27-point win for the GM product is proof that excellence of execution is the only way to succeed in today's car biz. Half-assed hype just gets you funny looks and a bit of ad copy.

I also struggle with the description of 115,000 units in a startup year as niche numbers. But I suppose one person's niche numbers are another person's market segment gainers.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 3

I am like the opposite of a Toyota fan, and of course I love my truck and feel it is a superior product.  I would love to see Ford and Dodge get back into the small truck market.  I want to see GM add production capacity, to fulfill these trucks' true potential to bust the segment wide open.

Toyota trucks were better back when they were tiny, rust notwithstanding.  This Tacoma is just a poorly executed product.  In my own test driving experience, the Tacoma seats you on the floorboards, rides like it has no springs, and gets bad fuel mileage for what it is.

My wish list for the Colorado:

Regular cab

Diesel available in all cabs

Manual transmission availability with V6 and diesel

ZR2 production version

Some sort of 2WD sport trim package (love the 2016 Z71 Trail Boss)

Tan interior (GMC Canyon has it)

cp-the-nerd, on 09 Oct 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

You could at least upload the points page with your phone camera.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thanks for posting it, I have cropped and rotated so easier to read. Thanks again,

post-12-0-89544700-1444595709_thumb.jpeg

• Agree 1

Will have to say that saying the new Tacoma has a better interior was them throwing the Taco truck a bone as they knew it was going down. That interior is not better IMHO than the colorado.

I expected the Colorado to clobber the Tacoma.  

But, but... I thought it was a "crappy midsize truck"???

Yes, in the context of a comparison a Platinum level F150 or Denali GMC interior the Canyonados have terrible, dare say again I say 'crappy' interiors.

You chose to forget a pretty obvious detail.

Yes, in the context of a comparison a Platinum level F150 or Denali GMC interior the Canyonados have terrible, dare say again I say 'crappy' interiors.

Your opinion regarding my truck interior should matter to me... why again?

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Your opinion regarding my truck interior should matter to me... why again?

I didn't realize you needed to cough up a response to tell me how much it doesn't matter at all. No need to waste breath to defend a mindset you've already assumed. But you go ahead and waste your time anyways. 

Now. Back to the topic. 

Except for hardcore Toyota lovers, most will see the Tacoma and if they have compared trucks will go NO THANK YOU. Toyota really dropped the ball on this one.

Honestly.. I'd still take a Tacoma over a Colorado.. But a Canyon over a Tacoma. The Colorado's front end just looks too dang soft for my liking. The Tacoma and Canyon have muscular angles and grills whereas the Colorado is all soft from the end of the hood down to the plastic 3inches off the ground.

I just wish I wouldn't have let my subscription run out so I could have read this by now!

In all honesty I see what you mean by the more jelly bean look of the Chevy compared to Toyota or GMC, but both the Chevy and GMC I would take over the Toyota.

Autoblog review title sums it up best. 2016 Tacoma Average in Everyway possible.

http://autoomobile.com/news/2016-toyota-tacoma-is-just-average-in-every-way-possible/10030142/

post-12-0-50591600-1444750086_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-99285000-1444750084_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-74582500-1444750087_thumb.jpg

Honestly, I would tell everyone to pass on Toyota even though they are getting ready to make their largest marketing push for the Tacoma ever according to the Motley Fool.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/02/toyota-prepares-to-push-the-2016-tacoma-as-gms-new.aspx

post-12-0-89778700-1444750609_thumb.jpeg