Jump to content
  • William Maley
    William Maley

    Jeep Grand Commander is a Three-Row SUV for China

    Jeep has introduced a new three-row SUV for the Chinese market called the Grand Commander.

    There is a lot of design inspiration from the Yuntu concept shown at the Shanghai Motor Show last year. The Grand Commander has squared-off corners, large glass area, and front-end styling similar to the Grand Cherokee. In terms of dimensions, the Grand Commander is about two inches longer in overall length than the Grand Cherokee. But it is two-inches narrower than the Grand Cherokee.

    Only one engine will be available, a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 230 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. This is sent through a nine-speed automatic to either the front wheels or four-wheel drive system. Underpinning the model is FCA's Compact U.S. Wide (CUSW) platform.

    The Grand Commander is expected to go on sale sometime later this year.

    Before anyone asks, this is not the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer that is expected sometime in 2020 or so.

    Source: Motor Authority




    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    So based on the Cherokee...transverse 4cyl?  Has the unfortunate FWD based front axle to door length issue.      But since it's not for the US, it's a moot point.   Other pics of it show some weirdness around the rear window--the back edge of the c-pillar doesn't line up with the rear window/hatch opening, so there are cheesy black trim pieces on each side of the rear window...ugh. 

    Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Another reason it looks so odd...the wheelbase is almost 5 inches shorter than the GC.    Another odd factoid--the wheelbase is the same as the old Grand Wagoneer (110 inches).   Not sure why they would do a 3 row on such a short wheelbase.   Remember the Commander from a decade ago?  Had an even shorter wheelbase. 

    Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I have to say, this is kind of growing on me over time.  It would never be a replacement for the Grand Cherokee, but I think it still might have a place in the Jeep lineup to let the JGC move up market.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    59 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    Maybe with a facelift it could be the next Dodge Journey...

    I'm guessing we don't see it here.  If this is indeed a stretched Cherokee, it is unlikely it would meet US side-impact standards.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think they should do a Comander or Wagoneer 3 row SUV that is like a Traverse/Explorer competitor, that doesn't matter if it is it front drive the a turbo 4.  But they should also have a Grand Wagoneer that is like a 3-row more luxurious version of the Grand Cherokee.  More like a Yukon Denali competitor on the latter.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    43 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

    I think they should do a Comander or Wagoneer 3 row SUV that is like a Traverse/Explorer competitor, that doesn't matter if it is it front drive the a turbo 4.  But they should also have a Grand Wagoneer that is like a 3-row more luxurious version of the Grand Cherokee.  More like a Yukon Denali competitor on the latter.

    On the first one, why should they dilute the brand like that? Just for volume? Every Pacifica clone with a Jeep grille and standard doors would devalue the premium that the JGC can sell at.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    I think they should do a Comander or Wagoneer 3 row SUV that is like a Traverse/Explorer competitor 

    The Pacifica and Durango fill the family hauler niche, Jeep doesn't need to go there..

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    On the first one, why should they dilute the brand like that? Just for volume? Every Pacifica clone with a Jeep grille and standard doors would devalue the premium that the JGC can sell at.

    Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't have a 3rd row, so it is already off the radar of about 500,000 buyers or more.  VW, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, GMC, Ford, Chevy, Buick all make a 3 row SUV.  Jeep does not.

    2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

    The Pacifica and Durango fill the family hauler niche, Jeep doesn't need to go there..

    What happens when the Chrysler brand dies and Dodge might also?  And they don't sell Chrysler and Dodge in international markets or at least not in any measurable volume.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 4/26/2018 at 12:24 PM, William Maley said:

    Before anyone asks, this is not the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer that is expected sometime in 2020 or so

    This line makes none of this matter... 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The First Robo Cop movie, the Original  was a telltale sign of the future. They talked about Big is Better and Room inside is King The all new 6000 SUX, a hybrid or pure electric CUV.

    I can see a limited market for Cars in the Future, SUV/CUV/Truck will be KING as we meet fuel standards via the new power trains.

    Welcome to the Future!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

    Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't have a 3rd row, so it is already off the radar of about 500,000 buyers or more.  VW, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, GMC, Ford, Chevy, Buick all make a 3 row SUV.  Jeep does not.

    What happens when the Chrysler brand dies and Dodge might also?  And they don't sell Chrysler and Dodge in international markets or at least not in any measurable volume.

    I fully expect a 3-row from Jeep... but making it a vanilla crossover with no off-road capability isn't the way to go about it. 

    • Upvote 1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yeah that's not the Jeep way. If they offer a Trailhawk version in the baby Renegade..They'll have one in their range topper as well. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

    Yeah that's not the Jeep way. If they offer a Trailhawk version in the baby Renegade..They'll have one in their range topper as well. 

    I don't expect a rebadged and rebodied Pacifica to get the Trailhawk rating... but that type of vehicle is what SMK is suggesting. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

    I don't expect a rebadged and rebodied Pacifica to get the Trailhawk rating... but that type of vehicle is what SMK is suggesting. 

    No I am not, it could be a fwd or rwd platform it just has to have 3 rows and interior like a base Grand Cherokee or higher trim Cherokee.  The Renegade, Compass and Cherokee are on fwd car platforms so I don’t see what the difference is on platform when that is what they do now.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    ccap41

    Posted (edited)

    FWD platforms but not necessarily "car" platforms. 

    The Grand Cherokee and Wrangler are on RWD platforms... if that's what they do now, why change? 🙄

    Edited by ccap41

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    FWD platforms but not necessarily "car" platforms. 

    The Grand Cherokee and Wrangler are on RWD platforms... if that's what they do now, why change? 🙄

    Well the Renegade and Compass are built on this platform:

    01-500x-1.jpg

     

    And the Cherokee is built on this platform:

    alfa-giulietta-270111-(8).jpg

    So if they could make that work, I am sure they can find a platform out of the FCA parts in that can produce a 7 passenger SUV for $35k that is as good off road as a Cherokee.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Why would they want that when they're trying to keep Jeep a more premium brand? 

    The vehicle in this article isn't going to be made for this market so I'm kind of confused on all of the hoopla over it in general.

    The Grand Wagoneer is what we will get and that'll be a big 7 seater. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

    Why would they want that when they're trying to keep Jeep a more premium brand? 

    The vehicle in this article isn't going to be made for this market so I'm kind of confused on all of the hoopla over it in general.

    The Grand Wagoneer is what we will get and that'll be a big 7 seater. 

    They could make a different vehicle for this market, the Durango is a 3 row SUV, they can make a Wagoneer out of that, and make some Escalade or Navigator competitor for a Grand Wagoneer.  

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites


    Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

    Guest
    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.