Cadillac Says A Refreshed XTS Coming This Year, New Products Beginning In Second Half of 2018

Cadillac has crossovers coming! But they won't be here till the second-half of 2018

If there is one issue that is top of mind for various folks at Cadillac, it is the lack of crossovers. Their sedan-heavy lineup isn't doing them any favors in a marketplace crazy for crossovers and SUVs. The brand does have some breathing room thanks to increasing sales in China, but they know they need crossovers now.

“It’s left us with the obvious difficulty. The core part of our volume lineup is in the market that’s contracting while we are unable, as good as XT5 and Escalade are, we are unable to fully exploit the updraft that’s taking place in the other half of the market,” said Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen to The Detroit News.

The bad news is the first of a handful will not arrive till the second half of 2018 according to de Nysschen. The first is a model that will be smaller than the XT5, what we believe will be called the XT3. Some analysts believe the XT3 will be built at Fairfax Assembly Plant in Kansas City, Kansas. Then a full-size crossover slotted between the XT5 and Escalade will come next. We think this could be the sister model to the Chevrolet Traverse and Buick Enclave. Finally, de Nysschen hinted that an even smaller crossover could arrive after 2020.

That doesn't mean Cadillac isn't working on their sedan lineup either. The XTS is expected to get a refresh later this year. Cadillac will also be launching a sedan to compete with the likes of the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz CLA in 2019. A coupe and convertible will join the sedan around the same time. de Nysschen explained the entry-level luxury marketplace is growing and the company wants a piece of it.

Source: The Detroit News

I agree that they need a deeper CUV lineup, not sure about the car lineup. I honestly do not see a need for the convertible. Coupe yea, but convertible is such a small dying market that why waste the R&D dollars when there are far better areas to spend it in.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Coupe and Convertible are definitely necessary. Its part of what is holding Cadillac back in terms of prestige. In fact.. I believe Cadillac should have a convertible in CT3, CT5, and CT6 (or CT8) no different than Benz. Quite frankly Cadillac's line-up, BARRING the cheap compliance and mainstream cars from Benz, should be pretty much the SAME as Benzo's.

49 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Guess living in a rainy state with money, I rarely see a convertible, but plenty of coupes. I honestly cannot say when I last saw a convertible from Benz, BMW or really any other car brand except Mustang and Camaro.

I will say that Silver Escalade is sexy. Imagine if the C pillar was black rather than silver and you would have a long floating roof on it till you got to the sexy tail lights. :wub:

I see them all the time here in Maryland especially because of the fact that we really only have three seasons and we get pretty nice Sunshine days from March to October.  Regardless... a luxo brand should not be all about practicality to be frank.  Exuberance is a necessity. A convertible is more of an expression of opulence than even a sports car. Especially if your 4 seater is rolling down the freeway,  top down and just one occupant.  And mind U...  I'm not a convertible buyer,  but I have a crazy amount of friends who are.

Also the floating roof on the Escalade is an easy mod

tumblr_nde70uZA7a1s4977xo1_1280.jpg

The lack of a Coupe and Convertible is not holding Cadillac back. If anything it is helping them as coupes in general are languishing in sales in all classes right now.

They really need to get the details right on the CTS and ATS in the major make over. They then need to address the market with image and let it go till it grows to connect again with Cadillac. Even then the CUV and SUV models will dominate.

If they do a coupe it will need to be on the high end as they will sell in such low volumes the price will have to make up the profits. Lets face it the CTS and ATS coupe both really are rare sights as are most coupes outside the muscle coupes that are now on the decline in sales.

If you were to do a convertible I would love a proper Roadster with a good trunk to compete with the BMW roadster. Base it on the Alpha and price it to a place where people would be willing to give it a chance vs another $100K failure. This would also keep the Vette and it exclusive.

Cadillac does not have to compete with Benz and BMW on every level. They just need to build cars that work and build their image. They need to get products people will buy and not regret later.

This class is very socially aware and people often feel they are defined by what they drive. Cadillac needs to continue to improve the product to a level of no compromise or excuse and let the product earns its place back over the coming years. ATP is way up as are sales in China so it is not a matter of survival it is a matter of time and product.

Lets face it people like to drop the name BMW or Benz at a party and if you drop Cadillac people think you just do not measure up yet. Compelling products will bring that back but it will take time to earn that image and trust back.

Cadillac did not piss the image away over one year and one model and they will not get it back with one model and one year.

To be honest if they get the CUV models right people will give them a shot and the image will be earned back for the name covering the cars too. GM can make the best CUV models and Cadillac can ride these back to respectability.

You earn their respect and trust on a CUV and next time they buy a car it may be a Cadillac.

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Also the floating roof on the Escalade is an easy mod

tumblr_nde70uZA7a1s4977xo1_1280.jpg

Sexy as HELL! :metal:

20 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Entry level luxury coupe/sedan to compete with Audi A3... why do I get the sinking feeling this is going to be FWD.

I really hope not, but I do wonder after seeing the terrible badge job on Holden.

12 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

I'm sorry. I do love Cadillac, but I'm also IN LOVE with Cadillac. Like I wish it could have my baby and we settle down and live happily ever after with me never ever looking at another woman again kinda love. :wub:

That being said.. Yes.. Caddy NEEDS a coupe and convertible. The lack of these extravagant actually is holding the brand back. I bet great money that just the addition of Lexus' LC500 will instantly catapult that tired brand into more legitimate comparisons to Benz and BMW. In fact.. and this bewilders the shit out of me.. the previous Gen CTS's Coupe was doing the exact same thing for Cadillac. The loss of that car actually stumped their ascension. It wasn't about practicality.. it was about the "WOW.. look at that... Hold Up.. is that a Cadillac?" factor. Believe me.. as an ex-CTS-V Coupe owner I watched slobber lines trail even the most staunch German luxo lover like a snail leaves a trail on the sidewalk in the Spring.

Yes the CUV segment needs to be addressed. Obviously. That's announced. I covered it before with the whole "Cadillac 2 versus Mercedes 7 CUVs" talk above. They need them for sales.. but sales don't equal prestige.. which I really don't agree with U completely in terms of "name dropping at parties." LOL.. a very tired statement that car forum people like to use.. Either way.. I've been to these parties after pulling up.. and I have never not once in the last 8 years .. been belittled for owning and promoting owning Cadillacs. Very often having comments of "must be nice being able to.. " lobbed at me. The only time I've been asked why Cadillac and not BMW or Benz was when it was someone who was still in the mindset of the old DEVILLE Cadillacs. My current Caddy stops people in their tracks. A Coupe would have given them a heart attack.. a Vert??? Instant DEATH.

Again. CUVs for sales. Great CUVs with luxury as a priority. Niche cars are still a very necessary component.

8 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Becuse it could be.. but I doubt it considering the need to continue utilizing the RWD Alpha Platform.

Sexy as HELL! :metal:

and pretty easy to do. I might try to see what it looks like on the Yukon this weekend with some plastidip.

Refreshed XTS predictions: mild update to front and rear fascias. Base powertrain matches the Buick Lacrosse.  . slight interior nip and tuck. V-Sport dropped. Possibly the 3.0TT as option engine upgrade. Introduction of Cadillac's SuperCruise is a possibility, I've seen test mule XTSes in Pittsburgh and there is a lot of self driving car research going on here.

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

That being said.. Yes.. Caddy NEEDS a coupe and convertible. The lack of these extravagant actually is holding the brand back. I bet great money that just the addition of Lexus' LC500 will instantly catapult that tired brand into more legitimate comparisons to Benz and BMW. In fact.. and this bewilders the $h! out of me.. the previous Gen CTS's Coupe was doing the exact same thing for Cadillac. The loss of that car actually stumped their ascension. It wasn't about practicality.. it was about the "WOW.. look at that... Hold Up.. is that a Cadillac?" factor. Believe me.. as an ex-CTS-V Coupe owner I watched slobber lines trail even the most staunch German luxo lover like a snail leaves a trail on the sidewalk in the Spring.

Here is the deal. I want Cadillac to be the best damn car company in the world. Or at least in the segment they are in. But here is the problem.

No matter the make Coupe and Convertible sales are tanking. It is a segment that is a hard sell even if you have the best car in the eyes of the public. Cadillac has offered two coupes and a wagon that all sold in numbers hard to make a business case over.

Add to that it is not going to return prestige anymore than getting the other higher volume products right, The key now it to take the core product and return it to what it should be and let the customers come back to it and regain trust. If you can get a Sedan or CUV right the Coupe is going to languish.

Now if you want to do a coupe it almost needs to be a flagship model It has to be high end price wise to justify the expense for the low volume it will sell in. You would have a better chance there but even then so few people will see one as it will be in such small numbers.

BMW was built on a 3 series coupe and they moved to the sedan as the market did.  Today the coupe is only a token and may not last all that long for them.

As for going to parties no one is going to get in your face about driving a Cadillac. This is a image and mind set. They will not dis you but you are seen as the guy who could not afford the more expensive car. While Cadillac is changing this the self image of the car is still in recovery. It is not that they hate the car they just do not see it on the same level as the other cars.

Same thing applied to other cars like the Boxster for years screamed to many as you were the guy who could not afford the 911.

The new cars have advanced the Cadillac image and it is still in rehab yet. As I have said one car and one year will not undo decades of mistakes. Right now they need to get their core product back to being the best in class with no exceptions. They need to get Cadillac's image as one that people feel reflect in a positive nature on them.

The long and short of it is the cars have been seen as damaged for many years. the CUV on the other hand is new and there is no preconceived notions there. Add to that the Escalade image and the path may be through the coming CUV models to the image they need and the trust they need to gain.

While a coupe and Convertible is cool and I personally would love to see it I just do not see how you could even justify the cost of putting them out there based on the present market reactions to a coupe.

If you want a convertible do a sedan convertible. Who else has one? What was Cadillac well known for when they really mattered? Open touring cars. Now that is a real flagship.

@hyperv6 I totally agree with  you on Cadillac and would rather see the R&D spent on the Escalade and CUV lineup being the best in segment / Luxury Industry.

If a convertible needs to be done, high end for sure and a 4 door sedan convertible would be the way to do it in honor of the cadillacs of past and what people really wanted. That might even make me buy a car again if they did it right with room for us big folks.

4 door convertible :metal:

20 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I'm just sayin'

IMG_4426.JPG

Sexy as Hell! :metal:

This is a true example of "If you build it they will cum!"

Sexy as Hell! :metal:

This is a true example of "If you build it they will cum!"

It should come standard with a bib and a drool bucket!

IMG_4426.JPG

12 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Entry level luxury coupe/sedan to compete with Audi A3...

A3 ~
    overall length : 176"
    width : 71"
    weight : 3200-3600
    HP : 185-220
    MSRP : $32K

ATS~
    overall length : 183"
    width : 71"
    weight : 3400-3700
    HP : 272-335
    MSRP : $34K

Cadillac ALREADY HAS a car in the same segment as the A3!!
    Otherwise Cadillac is playing a marketing shell game and wasting precious funds to build a car 3" shorter and $2000 less.
    NOW, if the idea is to make the NEXT GEN ATS a bit smaller & (MUCH) less powerful (and hopefully NOT FWD), that's another discussion (regardless of the fact it would be going backwards in perception).
    But it would cataclysmically stupid to bring out ANOTHER sedan alongside the ATS.

3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It should come standard with a bib and a drool bucket!

IMG_4426.JPG

Yup this is enough to make any person drool! :drool::drool::drool::drool:

2014-Cadillac-Ciel-Convertible.jpg

Cadillac-Ciel-Cabrio-8.jpg

Cadillac Ciel Doors.jpg

I honestly will never understand why Cadillac did not bring  this concept as is to market! :nono:

Well JDN has said publicly that he would like to go back to Cadillac roots and to do a flagship that would represent a car that Cadillac did so well. He stated a 4 door touring car was what they were known for back in the golden era and that no one today even tries to do one. He felt it was a way to make them stand out and highlight their past when it really meant something.

Just so happens they were working on a show car like this before he got here too. Hmm?

It is said the flagship is not a 4 door sedan and the latest show car is not production. Hmmm?

Edited by hyperv6

We need to start calling some of these "crossovers" like the GLA, QX30, GLE, X1, etc, what they really are.... hatchbacks.

Tall hatchbacks and tall wagons sell in the USA, like hatchbacks and wagons have sold in Europe the past 20 years.  With the exception of the GLE which I assume you mean the coupe version, is still pretty large, the rest are basically hatchbacks on stilts.  Lexus is coming out with a product for that segment also to replace the CT200 or whatever that hatchback thing they had was called.

Cadillac definitely needs a convertible, every luxury car company needs one.  Buick and Chevy have convertibles, how does Cadillac not?  It won't cost that much to make a convertible ATS or CTS, they already make a convertible on that platform, it isn't that hard.

I think the ATS will grow in size, as every car grows in size, and they easily could make a smaller than ATS car, although people don't buy the ATS because they say it is too small, so I don't know how many sales they are going to get.

Not sure why even bother with an XTS refresh, unless it is really mild and costs very little.  They have an abundance of sedans and the XTS is probably only being kept around to sell to funeral homes.

They need crossovers and more crossovers.  Like Cmicasa said, Mercedes is up to 7, and yet they are all selling better than they did when they had 3.  Lexus, Audi and BMW have more crossovers coming, the market is crazy for them.

The XTS sticks around because they still sell 3,000 of them a month and a lot of the parts are shared with other vehicles like the Lacrosse, XT5, and Impala, so it's relatively inexpensive to manufacture.

I see an unusual number of V-Sports here in Pittsburgh.

I think the ATS will grow in size, as every car grows in size,

I have to totally disagree with you on this statement.

The mistake is of auto companies and marketing groups that say you always have to grow. BS, As long as the car is in the right size inside and out for the class of auto, then leave the size alone and just always make it better.

Enlarging an auto is what has always screwed up the heritage and history of that auto.

Mustang and Camaro owners do not want a car the same size as an Eldorado with 2 doors.

We need to stop this lie that auto's will and must grow in size from generation to generation.

I see an unusual number of V-Sports here in Pittsburgh.

Drew, same here in Washington. I believe it is the baby boomers as my dad loves the XTS but my mom refuses to give up her SRX and hates how low the car is so my dad traded in his truck for an SRX so they have two now.

The XTS at the dealership I go to are almost all sports. They usually only have one lower tier and one or two higher. Seems according to my salesman that the bulk of buying is the v-sport. Crazy but cool I think.

• By Drew Dowdell
      QUARTER 4 (CALENDAR YEAR-TO-DATE) JANUARY - DECEMBER   2019 2018 %Change Volume   2019 2018 %Change Volume   Cascada 77 743 -89.6   2,535 4,136 -38.7   Enclave 10,143 14,420 -29.7   51,156 49,647 3.0   Encore 28,497 23,326 22.2   102,402 93,073 10.0   Envision 8,380 7,535 11.2   33,229 30,152 10.2   LaCrosse 463 2,118 -78.1   7,241 15,527 -53.4   Regal 1,514 3,110 -51.3   10,363 14,118 -26.6   Buick Total 49,074 51,257 -4.3   206,929 206,863 0.0   ATS 83 831 -90.0   1,134 10,859 -89.6   CT5 43 0 ***.*   43 0 ***.*   CT6 2,276 2,398 -5.1   7,951 9,668 -17.8   CTS 966 2,442 -60.4   6,965 11,219 -37.9   Escalade 8,889 9,573 -7.1   35,424 36,872 -3.9   XT4 8,895 7,573 17.5   31,987 7,785 310.9   XT5 11,168 13,582 -17.8   49,879 60,565 -17.6   XT6 7,169 0 ***.*   11,559 0 ***.*   XTS 1,062 5,063 -79.0   11,304 17,727 -36.2   Cadillac Total 40,551 41,462 -2.2   156,246 154,702 1.0   Blazer 23,008 27 ***.*   58,115 27 ***.*   Bolt EV 3,307 6,212 -46.8   16,418 18,019 -8.9   Camaro 11,474 11,135 3.0   48,265 50,963 -5.3   Colorado 25,484 30,004 -15.1   122,304 134,842 -9.3   Corvette 3,491 3,910 -10.7   17,988 18,791 -4.3   Cruze 2,699 32,955 -91.8   47,975 142,617 -66.4   Equinox 92,092 98,239 -6.3   346,048 332,618 4.0   Express 16,652 22,543 -26.1   77,457 81,239 -4.7   Impala 9,545 12,604 -24.3   44,978 56,556 -20.5   LCF 1,273 940 35.4   4,495 2,810 60.0   Malibu 34,314 37,084 -7.5   131,917 144,542 -8.7   Silverado HD 36,704 34,222 7.3   131,953 142,632 -7.5   Silverado LD 124,619 126,950 -1.8   438,686 442,943 -1.0   Silverado MD 2,018 6 ***.*   4,961 6 ***.*   Sonic 3,339 2,765 20.8   13,971 20,613 -32.2   Spark 11,016 5,174 112.9   31,281 23,602 32.5   Suburban 10,242 15,200 -32.6   51,928 60,633 -14.4   Tahoe 21,086 24,679 -14.6   101,189 104,153 -2.8   Traverse 33,631 39,536 -14.9   147,122 146,534 0.4   Trax 33,039 22,378 47.6   116,816 89,916 29.9   Volt 370 5,063 -92.7   4,910 18,306 -73.2   Chevrolet Total 499,404 531,985 -6.1   1,958,925 2,036,023 -3.8   Acadia 19,471 25,128 -22.5   99,429 88,621 12.2   Canyon 6,525 8,219 -20.6   32,825 33,492 -2.0   Savana 3,136 2,905 8.0   24,226 19,684 23.1   Sierra HD 18,228 16,550 10.1   59,871 60,389 -0.9   Sierra LD 50,494 50,762 -0.5   172,452 159,165 8.3   Terrain 28,060 31,595 -11.2   101,470 114,314 -11.2   Yukon 20,966 25,366 -17.3   74,673 80,784 -7.6   GMC Total 146,880 160,525 -8.5   564,946 556,449 1.5   GM Vehicle Total* 735,909 785,229 -6.3   2,887,046 2,954,037 -2.3                     78 selling days for the QUARTER 4 this year and 77 for same QUARTER last year.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Cadillac President Steve Carlisle said that when Cadillac starts rolling out its electric vehicles, it will use actual words for model names instead of the alphanumeric scheme currently used on its cars and SUVs.  Cadillac's move away from names started in 2003 with the Cadillac CTS. Over time, the Seville and Deville were converted to STS and DTS respectively. Later, the scheme was changed to alphanumeric when Johan de Nysschen joined the company as President.
      Cadillac will be taking the lead on GM's push to introduce 20 new all-electric vehicles around the globe by 2023.  Carlisle said that by 2030, the majority, if not all, Cadillacs will be battery electric vehicles. The recently release set of vehicles, CT4, CT5, XT4, and XT5, will get one more round of refreshes before transitioning to a BEV platform late in the decade.
      The next introduction is the Cadillac Escalade, which will be officially introduced in February, though pictures of the 2021 Escalade have already leaked online. Cadillac's SuperCruise hands-free driver-assist system will eventually be offered on the Escalade with additional functionality not currently included in the system. There are strong hints that this version of SuperCruise will include lane change ability.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Just a day after the 2021 Suburban and Tahoe debuted the Cadillac Escalade has also leaked out online.  As expected, the side profile still looks like the Tahoe/Suburban, however it apparently does still sport the vertical tail lights of the current generation vehicle.  Inside is a decidedly upgraded interior. The gauge cluster is dual screen and flows into the infotainment system.  Like the Chevy twins, the column shifter is gone, in this case replaced by Cadillac's Precision Control Shift. A dial to control the infotainment system similar to that on the XT6 is visible as well.

The Escalade will be powered by the same 6.2 liter V8 offered as an upgrade in the Suburban and Tahoe, but a supercharged version could make its way into the engine room at a later date as well finally giving the Escalade a V version. Expect the same wheelbase and space increases gained on the Chevies.
      The Escalade will be debuting officially soon, so keep it tuned here for more updates as they come out.

• By Drew Dowdell