Rumorpile: Cadillac's Upcoming 4.2L Twin-Turbo V8 To Appear in Escalade, CTS-V?

See if you can spot the odd vehicle out!

Back at the New York Auto Show, Cadillac unveiled an all-new twin-turbo 4.2L V8 that produces 550 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque. This engine was destined for upcoming CT6 V-Sport. But with the CT6 lineup destined to go away in the near future, what will happen to the new V8.

Roadshow has learned from a source that Cadillac will be using this engine in the next-generation Escalade and CTS-V (don't you mean CT5-V?!).

Let's begin with the next-generation Escalade. The current model uses a 6.2L V8 engine that makes 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque. We know that Cadillac was planning to offer a slightly detuned version of the 4.2L V8 on the regular CT6, producing somewhere in the range of 500 horsepower. Whether Cadillac decides to go with this or push power down a bit further remains to be seen.

Now to the CTS-V, or CT5-V. This is where we begin to question the source. We know that Cadillac will be retiring the CTS and ATS in the next couple of years for the upcoming CT5. Why the source said, "next-generation CTS-V sedan" has us scratching our heads. Maybe the source misspoke or GM is thinking about continuing forward the CTS-V nameplate. We're likely putting too much thought into this.

Nevertheless, we would expect Cadillac to bump up horsepower to 600 or so to keep up with the likes of the Germans.

Source: Roadshow

The 4.2L TT V8 I suspect is greatly understated at 550 hp / 627 lb-ft of torque.

I expect the next Escalade to have their normal and at least a V-Sport if not a full blown V edition.

I believe we will see the Escalade with a normal DI V8, then V-Sport with a current TT V8 and the V edition will be the dialed up TT V8 SUV. I also would not be suprised to see this show up in the XT6 or 7 what ever they call it.

As for cars, CT5 and if they keep the CT6 or CT7 or what ever, I expect GM to maximize the return on investment by having it at various power levels in these cars too till they can no longer support them due to customer demand for EVs replace it.

My gut tells me they could push the TT V8 to around 800hp and 1000 lb-ft of torque.

This is entirely hot. I will gladly give up GM trying to be everything to everyone with lots full of cars at deep discount if they can bring me this.  Holy S#!% this thing is lustworthy.

You know tuners will....where is that hellcat...here kitty kitty kitty....

Lmfao if they come out and say.. "JDN came up with that naming scheme, for the trucks it was cool.. But the the CTS, ATS are keeping their names.. Oh.. The CT6 is only being sold in China, but we'll be selling an identical car here as the new XTS" 😂

I think every enthusiast is surprised there hasn't been a V-Sport or true V version of the Escalade already... GM has had plenty of different engines to drop in there then they just need to work on a break and suspension package. It seems like a obvious big money maker.

It would really be hot.

Interested to see how the Edge ST does.  Even I am kind of starting to like that a little bit...

35 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It would really be hot.

From the little I've read on it, it seems like a more powerful Edge Sport.. It isn't exactly "sporty" or "ST" worthy. I also don't think a buyer of an Edge ST really wants a super tight suspension setup. If they did, they probably aren't buying an SUV..or a sporty one at that.

I think something like that would be perfect for me. "Hello 45k? Where are you?"

I do like the visual packaging on it...it does not need to be a sports car...just a performance vehicle.

9 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

There is a guy over at GMAuthority who says Cadillac just lost him as a customer because they are going to stop making a big Cadillac.

He owns a 2010.. I said 2010.. a 9 year old Cadillac and he says this.. THIS IS HOW IDIOTIC PEOPLE ARE. I responded with:

My name over there is MiatsoCi

No offense.. but GM/Cadillac built 2 large sedans for U.. for the last 3(2016-2019 CT6) and 6(2013-2019 XTS) years. Both have won gobs of praise. One is literally a superior version of your DTS, while one is a direct competitor to the S550 (3.0LPlatinum CT6) and U still haven’t bought.. maybe.. they just tired of waiting. BTW.. there are still new XTSs and CT6s on the showroom floor til the end of 2019… a year that hasn’t even happened yet.

My name is Cmicasa the GreatXvX.. and I approve this message LOL

So let them loose him as a customer. Trying to be everything to everybody all of the time hasn't helped GM. They do not need a car for every buyer...just cars for people willing to pay a reasonable premium for.

Economically it makes no sense to be bottom feeders in any market. But especially cars.

I for one am curious what Cadillac has in store for us.

The reduction in horsepower in favor of the twin-turbo setup still won't be enough for @smk4565... he'll find something wrong with the headliner or the insides of the glovebox.

I still don't buy that the CT6 is being discontinued.  If so, Cadillac is fully to blame for how they have packaged and priced the car.  But apart from that, they have now created the sweet v8 for that car and they will announce either a production move to China or will stage a dramatic PR plant rescue for the car here in the states.  Again, the collateral damage of Cadillac not having a big sedan to me means Cadillac becomes a crossover heavy company with no essence.  Might as well shut it down.  When does Mercedes get rid of the S Class?  Not yet.

Aside from that, you might as well put it in the Escalade.  If they put it in the CT5 or CtS replacement whatever it is, it's a completly useless proposition to the market if they don't give it all wheel drive.  If their plan is to only make it RWD in the CT5 than Cadillac's braintrust is on to the next level of stupidity, surpassing the overall level of GM stupidity for the last 10 years or so.

Edited by regfootball

Read between the lines.... the official line is that the CT6 is no longer going to be produced in North America.  It will remain in production in other countries.

Does that mean that the CT6 (or its replacement) will be imported here from wherever else it is built?

As for the 4,2L TTV8, where was this engine five years ago?  This engine deserves to be MORE than just an option engine for the Escalade or a Corvette.

If they are killing off cars, then Motor1.com has shown the 15 worst cars that should also die.

• Units sold since the start of 2018
    • 6th - Toyota Mirai at 1,263 - Seems crazy to include Hydrogen autos
    • 5th - Audi TT at 1,244
    • 4th - Smart For Two at 1,054
    • 3rd - Audi A8 at 909
    • 2nd - Kia K900 at 277
    • 1st - Alfa Romeo 4C at 217 units

I would say if Cadillac cannot make a profit on the CT6, then how can any of these auto companies make a profit and all these cars should be killed off for the US.

Everybody is ASSUMING that the supposed discontinued cars don't make a profit. When/where was that ever stated? A vehicle can be 'profitable' yet still not meet the goals of the OEM and be discontinued. Happens all the time.

I'm guessing the CT6 will be imported from China. That's my guess.

I wonder if we can get it with a side of Moo-shoo pork? :P

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm guessing the CT6 will be imported from China. That's my guess.

Probably truth but now with tariffs and such, and just image wise I think the top sedan coming from China is problematic.

I think Cadillac could still manage 30-40k volume on the CT6 a year in the US once the XTS is gone and then realign the trims.

Edited by regfootball

That would be an excellent approach- discontinue the XTS and pump the CT6 volume up. Put it in another US plant, because I'd never buy a Chinese-built version and I don't think it does Cadillac any favors to import it.

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Problem is.. that only because its GM would anyone know. Seriously.. I've never seen a company that inspires so much press about what it does for Americans.. while at the same times have American openly say how much they hate GM..not even for the cars.. just because.

Either way.. the average American.. if GM were to properly market the vehicle.. hell the way they are currently doing with the XT4.. they could sell 3X what they have been.. As Americans don't really care where the car comes from.. just look at Volvo.

Sales numbers technically and surprisingly are a lot considering the segment.

808 per month as of Sept..

vs 681 per month for the 7 Series

741 for the Lexus LS

284 for the Audi A8 and A7 COMBINED.. (I said the Audi A8+A7 have only sold 2560 units this whole year combined and GM is king the CT6 for selling 7272🤔)

BTW.. I never could figure out how they expected the CTS or the CT6 to truly show a real un-touched number with the vehicles being so closely aligned in either size or price. The XTS and the CTS we exactly the same price.. while the CT6 and XTS were damn near the same size.. visually the were exactly the same size.. and after the exterior redo of the XTS recently.. even I had to do a double take to tell the difference.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Yet they import and sell all the S-Class from Germany, so why would the 1% care about where the auto is built?

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Cause MT, C&D, Jalopnik, Truth About Cars.. etc will SCREAM IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS that GM is doing it. Now.. me personally.. I'm hoping that Cadillac is keeping the CT6 and just changing the name as I said before. Call it CT6=Escala. Change the back.. I would scoop this up in a NY sec

261611_Cadillac_Escala_-_Le_nouveau_look

Cadillac-Escala-Concept-Rear-Three-Quart

41 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

261611_Cadillac_Escala_-_Le_nouveau_look

Cadillac-Escala-Concept-Rear-Three-Quart

Wish they would allow two Emoji on a post as my first was :roflmao: and the second was 👍

Totally agree with you, Escala with AWD Electric would rock! :metal:

Talk about being the most quiet smooth ride around! Truly World Class Leading.

Of all of the introductions that Cadillac has over the next year and a half (1 every 6 months till the end of 2020), only ONE is a new model that doesn't directly/indirectly replace something they don't already sell.  (I'm counting CT4 as an indirect replacement for ATS and CT5 as an indirect replacement for CTS)

Totally agree with you, Escala with AWD Electric would rock! :metal:

Talk about being the most quiet smooth ride around! Truly World Class Leading.

Oh no doubt. In fact that would be perfect, and a splash that would send the brand on high. JESUS!!! Did U read what U wrote? That would be fantastic! AWD and Electric.. of course I would still have an optional 4.2L TTV8 for the hold outs.. which would be simply insane.

so three? but a forth could also be in there as the words I read were always "THRU 2020." XT6 is one.. I wish that replacement vehicles were not included.

19 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Escalade, CT4, CT5, XT6, XT5 (refresh).... not in that order

XT6 will be in Detroit in January.

Escalade, CT4, CT5, XT6, XT5 (refresh).... not in that order

XT6 will be in Detroit in January.

I hope they knock this one out the park. The XT6. There is literally ZERO reason for them to eff it up. Formula.. the extremely nice Buick Avenir Enclave.. Upgraded Cadillac leathers, Cadillac style.. 9 Speed tranny... MRC.. new faster "CUE..." (yeah I know).. and to really get a WOW.. make the Platinum available with a certain V8..

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Not sure that 4.2L TTV8 would FIT into a Lambda platform meant for a v6.

If Cadillac were smart, they take the latest Omega, make that the CT6 successor and make the 4.2L the standard engine, other than the pure EV choice.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Not sure that 4.2L TTV8 would FIT into a Lambda platform meant for a v6.

Yeah, remember that's a FWD/AWD transverse engine platform...I think GM's days of doing FWD V8 cars is in the past...

Edited by Robert Hall

Let's go ask Germans if they had any issue buying an S-class built in South Carolina, USA.

i always thought that the Avenirs should have top grade leather and should just be a luxo max trim for GM.

Cadillac would then get the high - end new age materials, some luxury brands are going back to cloth but like the stuff used for designer coats and bags... anyways yes.

But I’m still puzzled. I guess the agile GM thing started already. But isn’t it hard to make investments and then having to trickle elsewhere super rapidly because the initial version didn’t pan out?

This V8 has yet to come to market. It’s obvious thery’re going to find uses for it. Why it’s such a rumour, I mean it’s practically guaranteed. Do we really salivate over GM that much?

11 hours ago, balthazar said:

Moot point since they don't build the S-class in the US.  They build SUVs in Alabama, though.   (Which when they started production there over 20 years ago I thought would never be successful, but it has been).

^ A-duh. Point was; WOULD Germans have an issue buying a MB s-class in Germany that was built in the US? Or China?
    Perhaps journalists there wouldn't harp & harp & harp on the COO of such a vehicle, unlike US journalists, and it wouldn't be an issue.
    Then again, private ownership in Germany runs well south of that in the US --vehicles there seem to be moreso appliances/taxis/fleets-- so maybe consumers wouldn't care if it was spun that way there.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

YES.. they would. The IG Metall members in Sindelfingen would probably, and literally kick the S#!+ outta U if U did. Their families too.. because they know that their economy is dependent on that purchase. Looking at U people in DETROIT who drive anything other than a GM or Ford. Effin IDIOTS we as Americans are. Imagine the idea of an actual person buying a Toyota Sequoia over a Tahoe. Makes no sense in any reasonable way. Only Americans I think

Anyway.. the Aviator.. the Aviator is the first vehicle I have seen from Ford that actually makes me scared for Cadillac in terms of luxury. I can take an XT5 and genuinely have no issue over buying it versus an GLC or RX, and always feel like I have a superior luxo CUV in  all ways unless we thru in the AMG version.... where again.. Cadillac has the full capability to take that vehicle down and doesn't by simply equipping it with a LGX. THE QUESTION IS SIMPLE AND PLAIN.. WILL GM SIMPLY TAKE A LOOK AT THE AVIATOR AND NAVIGATOR AND SAY "SCREW IT.. LETS BEAT 'EM. " When the current CTS debuted.. and then the CT6.. I truly believed that there were zero doubts. The death of the CT6 , or the news of it is what is scaring every one of us.

Edited by Cmicasa the Great

On 11/30/2018 at 3:20 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I think they should have 2 tubes of this V8 and put it in everything they can.  If the XT5 and XT6 were not front drive then it could have been there too.  I would put this in the ATS replacement too.  Cadillac needs something to stir up some excitement. They have other issues too but an exclusive V8 would help.

14 hours ago, balthazar said:

They might, Mercedes is building a new factory to make the S-class am EV’s while the current factory will continue making other models.  But I think GLE’s from Alabama go back to Germany and people buy them.

14 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

I am honestly surprised that GM has not tied up with any designer or premium sports product company for a Premium Cadillac auto.

Asians, since I am married to a Korean, are crazy for brand names and I truly believe Cadillac could sell a Coach Edition CT and XT in the Asian rim and even sell some here.

Also who could not see Escalade selling a Premium NFL edition or any other sports edition versions. At least do this probably better yet for the sports at the GMC level.

Based on this list of most valuable companies:

Why does Cadillac not have a Louis Vuitton or Nike Edition?

On 12/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

261611_Cadillac_Escala_-_Le_nouveau_look

Cadillac-Escala-Concept-Rear-Three-Quart

I've warmed up on the Escala, if GM actually built it to look like the show car.

I don’t know why GM decided on a 4.2 liter V8 when China has a displacement tax threshold at 4.0 liters, unless they don’t plan on selling this engine in China, then it doesn’t matter.

70% of the Chinese market sales is under 1.6L. Still, the Chinese consumer is hit with so many taxes it's ridiculous.

Chinese consumers lack understanding of taxes at purchasing and using phases, and scarcely pay attention to taxes within price such as vehicle CT (consumer tax). Actually, vehicles with different displacements pay different CT, and CT is included in ex-factory price, incorporating into the bases of VAT (value added tax) and surtaxes. Thus, CT and VAT are included in Manufacturers’ Suggested Retail Prices (MSRP). Besides, the amount of VPT (vehicle purchase tax) paid by consumers is 10% of vehicle price exempted of VAT.
    ~ Overview of China’s Automotive Tax Scheme, 2017

CT6 is an aspirational & expensive full-size luxury car in a very small segment of overall sales. Buyers expect the price to be high, and buried in the MSRP, it's not obvious. Other cars it competes with already start much higher in price. Audi A8, only available with a 3.0L, starts MUCH higher in price- "do they expect to sell any there"??

On 11/30/2018 at 10:36 PM, dfelt said:

• 6th - Toyota Mirai at 1,263 - Seems crazy to include Hydrogen autos
    • 5th - Audi TT at 1,244
    • 4th - Smart For Two at 1,054
    • 3rd - Audi A8 at 909
    • 2nd - Kia K900 at 277
    • 1st - Alfa Romeo 4C at 217 units

The Audis don't really make sense as there are the S versions of both of those and an RS for the 7. Add those up and they're likely not on that list and it's all the same car.

It's a shame about the 4C as it's a beautiful car but I completely understand why that's on the list and #1.

Also, a lot of those aren't US exclusive. I know a lot of those luxury brands sell in Europe. I know the CT6 sells in China as well...not sure on those numbers.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:09 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Their marketing is dog$h! outside of Cadillac.

Those numbers where for the US market only and so it is correct that in the global view, some of these auto's would not be on this list. For the US, these numbers suck for sure.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

~ Overview of China’s Automotive Tax Scheme, 2017

I imagine most Audi’s sold in China are 2 or 3 liter.  Their V8 does come in under 4 liters to avoid that top tax rate.  But I bet the great majority of A8’s are V6 in China

On 11/30/2018 at 11:16 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm guessing the CT6 will be imported from China. That's my guess.

...and how much more of the lineup in another ten years?

28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...and how much more of the lineup in another ten years?

Comparing the ratios of populations 300 million to 1.6 billion, the US is 1/5th of their population, so I am guessing 1/5th of Cadillacs lineup stays local such as Escalade and 1or 2 XT's the rest is imported.

Here's a thought.. How much is labor in China vs US. A bunch in sure, but with the supposed new trade agreement there will be no tariff in exports to China from US.. Hey GM.. Build the CT6 here for US and China and keep the 900+ buyers per month happy. My V is at the dealership now for a recall on the steering module. They have me in CT6 3.6l with Super-Cruise. I will post a review tonight or tomorrow. Let's just say that we are really missing out of they really kill this car. I've driven the 3.0TT in the past but this my first time in the 3.6.. It too is seriously swift to be in such a large AWD vehicle

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

So your choice is an A8 with a 6-banger for STILL way more yuan, or a twin-turbo V8 CT6.
    I know where I'd put my money!

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

I know where I'd put my money!

The A8 with V6 mild hybrid is about 900k to 1.2 million Yuan in China.  It looks like China only has the turbo 4 and the 3 liter V6 CT6 for China, which do run much cheaper than the A8 in the 400-800k range.  But the A8 is a better car also.

I feel like the CT6 will exit the American market, unless they import Chinese made ones, but maybe they cancel it over there too.  I suspect GM made a decent amount of investment on CT6 because it was a new platform, that 3.0 V6 is only used there also, this 4.2 V8 is only there for now.  This isn't a good economies of scale car, they could be losing money on it, and even if it turns a small profit, I can see GM just scraping it.

Based on your statement then MB should be scrapping many of their low selling cars.

MB should scrap the SLC.  The only other low sellers globally are the SL and AMG GT and those aren’t going anywhere.  They have to do something with the SL to improve sales which is hard when 2 seat convertibles have very low demand.

13 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The CT4 and CT5 are coming. I would expect the 3.0TT to show up in those. Or maybe still the 3.6TT for V-series and V-Sports.

They should put the V8 in the CT4-V.  No holding back, if you have it, then use it.

GM should also make an inline six and kill all these V6's because any over 300 hp vehicle should be sending power to the rear wheels, and any sedan or crossover at Buick or Chevy can use a 4-cylinder/turbo/electric combo powertrain like Volvo does on their line, so no need for a transverse V6.   Also XT5 and XT6 should switch to Omega and get the V8.  This is the V8's last hurrah before electric takes over, I say V8 all things.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:03 PM, smk4565 said:

I am NOT impressed with the "Blackwing" V8. I am not impressed because:-

• It is not particularly high specific output (about the same as a 260hp 2.0L engine).
    • Engines which making more notably torque than HP -- by definition -- spends it time running out of breathe as revs build
    • The Hot Vee is a stupid idea because it limits turbocharger sizing for minimal to no benefits to responsiveness
    • The only reason I'll advocate for a Hot Vee is to use a larger turbo vs two smallers ones for better efficiency and/or costs and that is not being done on the Blackwing.
    • It did not include GM's new Tri-power cam switching valve train despite being based on the Ecotec 4-cylinder family

That said, the Inline-6 is an even worse idea. The Inline-6 is VERY LONG and harder to fit in a car than a V8. Basically, if you can fit an I-6 you can fit a V-12 and it takes a heck of a lot of hood length to fit either. Also, just because it is an I6 and I6es are naturally 1st and 2nd order balanced does not mean an I6 is necessarily more refined. GM's last I6, the 4.2L DOHC-24v 291hp Atlas (LL8) was... well... blah.

I'll very much prefer a V8TT to the tune of 500 lb-ft @ 2,600~6,600 rpm and 640 bhp @ 6,800 rpm with a 7,000 rpm redline. The key here isn't the power output per say, but the fact that you WANT an engine that gives you more and more as you progress up the tachometer. You don't want an engine that pushes you back like a freight train then spend half the tach sweep running out of breathe. It is very un-enticing to drive. People buying sports sedans are not exactly looking for the Peterbilt experience.

Edited by dwightlooi

19 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

That was a truck engine, not a car engine...wasn't intended to be refined.

14 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

That was a truck engine, not a car engine...wasn't intended to be refined.

But it could have been. ;)

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

That was a truck engine, not a car engine...wasn't intended to be refined.

The point is that just because it is an Inline-6 doesn't mean it is more refined. You can have a truck engine that is very refined -- go drive the 2.7T 4-potter (L3B) in the Silverado and you'll see. You can have a car engine that really isn't like the LLT 3.6 DOHC V6 -- despite GM's exhaustive attempts to claim to the contrary, it is louder, more granular and more clattery than the 3.5L and 3.9L Pushrod V6es it replaced (thanks largely to the curse of Direct Injection).

The point is that while certain engine layouts have naturally superior balance (line the I6, I8, V12 and any of the horizontally opposed designs), adopting any such layouts is not sufficient to guarantee refinement. If GM REALLY wanted ultimate refinement they will incorporate Dual Injection (so direct injection can be disabled at idle and low engine loads where it is not needed and has no tangible benefit). If GM is REALLY interest in ultimate refinement, they will actually get rid of the Start-Stop nonsense or allow it to remember that it's turned off when the driver disables it. But, obviously, there are or have been other priorities.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:35 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

That will not happen. China is NOT STUPID. They understand Merchantilism. They understand that the wealth of Nations rise on Trade Surpluses and diminishes on Trade Deficits. They understand that ONLY trade that generates surpluses is of any benefit to a country and Trade that generates deficits impoverishes a country. That is why they have the HIGHEST IMPORT TARIFFS overall in the world and they REQUIRE foreign manufacturers building cars in China to avoid tariffs and to do it in factories at least 51% Chinese owned.

You see, Free Trade doesn't work. It doesn't work because unlike in stupid economics classes, absolute and comparative advantages measured in man-hours is irrelevant. It is irrelevant because Chinese and other 3rd world workers make $1.90 an hour and US workers make 10 times that. Are you willing to lower wages in the US to $2 an hour and eliminate social entitlements to compete? No? Then you will LOSE with Free Trade. You will never be 10 times more productive or skilled to make up the difference. Free Trade ensures the outflow of wealth, industry and influence from Rich Countries to Poor Countries. That is great for China, great for the 3rd World and great for the Globalist opportunists profiting in the process. IT might even be the best Social Justice and Redistribution program in history. But, it is terrible for any affluent country.

What we can expect and hope for is for barriers to be erected to impede Free Trade with countries with whom we have a deficit and to cause a global manufacturing diversification away from China -- our chief strategic rival. We'll be a little less harsh on the Chinese if they play ball, but that's about it. Unlike the swamp creatures in Congress (from both parties) Orange Man is very smart and Orange man is laser focused on the things that matter.

Edited by dwightlooi

1 hour ago, dwightlooi said:

So why didn't he propose 100% tariffs on all Chinese made goods a year ago?

5 hours ago, dwightlooi said:

I am NOT impressed with the "Blackwing" V8. I am not impressed because:-

Even if the 4.2 liter V8 has flaws, it is the best engine Cadillac has, so it should be in every product they can fit it in.  Leaving it on the shelf in favor of a turbo V6 or a 2015 era Corvette engine would be a bad idea.

Inline sixes aren't hard to fit in rear drive cars.  If GM had more rear drive cars it would make more sense.

It depends on your definition of "best". The 2015 era Corvette Engine makes 100~150 more hp and 23~97 lb-ft more torque than the 4.2 "Blackwing" while weighing about the same.

While the EPA fuel economy numbers have not been disclosed by GM, I suspect that the 2015 era Corvette Engine will not fare substantially worse than the 4.2TT. The LT4 V8 SC turns in 14 / 21 mpg. That is 1 mpg worse than the hot vee 4.0TT E63S AMG's 15/22 MPG, which the 4.2TT benchmarks. One has to note that the 4.0TT AMG engine produces 47 hp and 23 lb-ft less than the Corvette Pushrod engine while exhibiting notable lag to its 22 psi peak boost whereas the Supercharged pushrod engine is instantaneous. The fact is that the good old Pushrod design has consistently beaten DOHC designs of the same output in power-to-weight, power-to-size and power-to-cost ratios while matching or beating their fuel economy numbers.

That said, the 4.2TT "Blackwing" with its torque characteristics will make a very decent Escalade or truck engine if you don't care about the cost or the complexity.

49 minutes ago, dwightlooi said:

Well that V8 is GM's newest engine and developed for Cadillac so it should go in Cadillacs.

The S63 sedan gets 17/26 mpg and 17/27 mpg in the S63 coupe, that compares well to the 14/21 mpg of the CTS-V and the Mercs have all wheel drive which isn't helping fuel economy.

Also the AMG 4 liter V8 weighs the same as the non-supercharged GM 6.2 liter V8 and beats China's upper tier displacement tax.  It must work because AMG has the fastest SUV, fastest wagon, fastest 4-door car around the Nurburgring and the GT R was the fastest front engine/rear drive car around the Nurburgring, not sure if it still is.  That engine performs at a high level across the board though, and it isn't even electrified yet which will be the next phase.

And AMG could get more power out of that V8 if they wanted to, but they have to factor in refinement and NVH too.  The new 2.0 liter A45 engine is said to produce 416 hp and that is just half their V8, they could get 800 hp out of that 4 liter if they really wanted to, they get 800 hp from a 1.6 liter V6 so out of a 4 liter V8 should be easy.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

Here we're 'worried' about a "Corvette engine from 2015" but we're advocating inline 6s from the 60, 70, and 80s.

Except for me...getting early vintage Ford disease again. 1940 Ford ragtop with a flathead please. None of this silly overhead valve stuff Dwight keeps talking about.

flathead VEE eight tho, yes?

Or were you pining for a Ford I6 flathead? (85 HP IS a neck-snapping amount to handle)

flathead VEE eight tho, yes?

Flat head V8...yes...and a 40 Ragtop to run it in.

Although a fellow poster said anything with less than 1000 torque is not worth driving....hmmm...I damn sure would drive that vintage Ford!

19 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

That was a truck engine, not a car engine...wasn't intended to be refined.

For its day, the Atlas I6 was very nicely refined compared to the V6 counterparts.

Wait a minute.  Do we need a good V8 or a GREAT V8?  Do we need a good I6 or a GREAT V6?  EVs will not be mainstream for at least another 15 years, so GM needs to still make GREAT V8 and V6 engines with Great torque curves period.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

GM already has that covered I think.

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

...

...

You can gear and AFM a pushrod V8 for better fuel economy too. We were comparing the economy numbers output focused E63S and the CTS-V.

You CAN get over 400 hp from 2.0 liters. I know... I have been there and done that. You could do that 25 years ago with a 4G63 in the Talon or Eclipse running a TD06H-20G turbo and 7.8:1 compression. The engine actually never broke... the tranny and the transfer case keeps breaking though. You will lose fuel economy from reduced compression and you will gain massive amounts of lag not just from a large turbocharger, but the need to go from vacuum to about 30 psi of boost when you stab on the throttle.

For a production car carrying a warranty and appealing to customers with their heads intact, one has to ask why do you want to do that? Displacement does not cost money; complexity and exotic materials do. Displacement also does not necessarily cost fuel economy; friction and aspiration loses do. If you want 400 hp in an economical powerplant, you are far better off with a 2.5~3.0L class four with half as much boost, cylinder deactivation and a miller cycle cam on your VVL system to switch to. You don't even really need 4-valves per cylinder; it doesn't really give you much under 6,000 rpm except a lot of friction and complexity*.

*Note: This is NOT a subjective statement. Look at the torque peak and power peak of a LT1 V8. 460 hp @ 6000 rpm and 465 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm empirically tells you that peak volumetric efficiency (cylinder filling) occurs at around 4600 rpm and volumetric efficiency does not fall faster than rpm rise until 6000 rpm. There is no airflow problems with two valves sitting side-by-side and with pushrods in the way of the intake ports at least until 6000 rpm. A SOHC 2-valve engine with a hemispherical combustion chamber and opposed valves should do a bit better. I can confidently say that for motors tuned to deliver torque peaks under 5000 rpm and power peaks around 6000 rpm -- which includes all the Accord and Camry engines -- DOHC 4-valves costs you a little fuel economy and extra money for NO PERFORMANCE BENEFIT.

The COVID-19 pandemic has possibly caused another auto show to rethink their plans. According to Automotive News, organizers of the show are planning to delay the show from November to next May. Three sources tell the outlet the new dates are May 21st to 31st. Two of sources go on to say that an announcement could come this week.
      Automotive News tried to get comment from Terri Toennies, president of the show, but did not reply.
      By possibly moving the LA Auto Show to May, automakers and organizers of the New York and Detroit shows find themselves in a difficult spot. The LA show sandwiches between New York (April) and the revised Detroit show (June), which may cause automakers to make difficult decisions as to which shows get the most significant unveilings or whether to attend at all.
      Auto shows in general have been struggling before the onset of the pandemic. With automakers deciding to hold their own events to have more time in the spotlight and save cash, the spectacle of the show has gone down.
      We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

We'll keep you posted.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
      It is no secret that General Motors has big ambitions in the electric car space, we talked about back in March. But our chance to see to see the first fruits of this, the Cadillac Lyriq had been delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic. But tonight, Cadillac finally revealed the Lyriq in show car form.
      "Show Car" is important in this context as Cadillac is finalizing various parts of the Lyriq's design - various reports say the design is 80 to 85 percent production ready. This may explain why Cadillac isn't launching the model until late-2022. The design is quite out there with a large pattern grille, vertical LED headlamps, fastback roofline, and rear lights that wrap around the pillars. Moving inside, the center piece is a curved, 33-inch display that features driver information and infotainment. There is also a dual-pane head-up display that can display different information - the nearest one can show speed and direction, while the further one can issue alerts and navigation.
      Cadillac hasn't released any power figures on the Lyriq, only saying that it will offer two drivetrain versions; rear-wheel drive with a single electric motor and all-wheel drive with two electric motors. A new modular platform for electric vehicles promises a low-center of gravity and a near 50/50 weight distribution for the all-wheel drive version. Range is targeted at over 300 miles. Cadillac says the production model will offer DC fast charging.
      Source: Cadillac
      Press Release is on Page 2

LYRIQ Show Car Leads Cadillac Into Electric Future
      The brand’s first all-electric vehicle introduces a new era in luxury, technology and zero-tailpipe-emissions performance Cadillac’s introduction of its electric portfolio begins today with the debut of the LYRIQ show car — a dynamic, modern and fully electric luxury crossover.
      The propulsion system and supporting technologies position Cadillac to be a leader in electrification, connectivity and automated driving, all delivered with thrilling performance and a new threshold in technology integration.
      “Led by LYRIQ, Cadillac will redefine American luxury over the next decade with a new portfolio of transformative EVs,” said Steve Carlisle, executive vice president and president, GM North America. “We will deliver experiences that engage the senses, anticipate desires and enable our customers to go on extraordinary journeys.”
      The LYRIQ is based on GM’s next-generation, modular electric vehicle platform and driven by the Ultium propulsion system, allowing Cadillac to deliver customers a variety of range and performance options. With range being one of the biggest factors when it comes to selecting an EV, we’re designing LYRIQ to offer beyond 300 miles of range on a full charge, based on internal testing1. Performance and technology highlights include:
      Charging options that fit a variety of preferences for home, the workplace and on the road — including DC fast charging rates over 150 kilowatts and Level 2 charging rates up to 19 kW2. Rear-wheel drive and performance all-wheel drive configurations. The latest version of Super Cruise3, the industry’s first truly hands-free driver assistance feature, available on more than 200,000 miles of compatible highways and recently enhanced to include automated lane change. New technologies such as dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display and remote self-parking. The brand’s most seamless and adaptive technology interaction with the driver and passengers, including the latest Cadillac user experience, which is showcased in a 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED screen the spans the entire viewing area of the driver. “LYRIQ was conceived to make every journey exhilarating and leverages more than a century of innovation to drive the brand into a new era, while rewarding passengers with a more personal, connected and immersive experience,” said Jamie Brewer, Cadillac LYRIQ chief engineer. “To do this we developed an architecture specifically for EVs.  It is not only an exceptional EV, but first and foremost a Cadillac.”
      LIBERATING PERFORMANCE
      Some luxury EVs today feature adapted traditional internal combustion engine architecture, that is not the case with LYRIQ. Cadillac’s all-new, modular EV platform on which the LYRIQ is based is the foundation for its liberating performance. With a dedicated EV architecture, its design eliminates significant physical constraints associated with adapting electric propulsion within a conventional vehicle architecture, for an optimized design that supports greater driving range, an engaging driving experience and a new interpretation of passenger space.
      Within the LYRIQ, the Ultium battery system is a structural element of the architecture, integrated in ways that contribute to ride and handling, as well as safety. In fact, the lower center of gravity and near 50/50 weight distribution enabled by the placement of the battery pack results in a vehicle that’s sporty, responsive and allows for spirited driving.
      Additionally, the LYRIQ is driven primarily by the rear wheels, with a performance all-wheel drive option available. The placement of the drive motor at the rear of the vehicle contributes an even greater feeling of balance and agility — attributes that affirm Cadillac’s longstanding commitment to satisfying performance. It also enables the system to channel more torque to the pavement without wheelspin for exhilarating acceleration and greater cornering capability. Vehicles equipped with performance all-wheel drive go a step further, with a second drive unit placed at the front of the vehicle, which allows for a significant amount of tuning flexibility, enhancing vehicle dynamics and performance for drivers.
      ALL-NEW ULTIUM BATTERY SYSTEM
      The Cadillac LYRIQ is powered by GM’s new Ultium battery system, which offers approximately 100 kilowatt-hours of energy to deliver stirring performance.
      Ultium’s state-of-the-art NCMA (nickel-cobalt-manganese-aluminum) chemistry uses aluminum in the cathode to help reduce the need for rare-earth materials such as cobalt. In fact, GM engineers reduced the cobalt content by more than 70 percent, compared to current GM batteries.
      The advanced battery chemistry is packed in large, flat pouch cells that enable smart module construction to reduce complexity and simplify cooling needs. Additionally, the battery electronics are incorporated directly into the modules, eliminating nearly 90 percent of the battery pack wiring, compared to GM’s current electric vehicles.
      When it comes to charging, LYRIQ offers quick and convenient charging options whether at home or on the go. With DC fast charging, the LYRIQ can charge at rates over 150 kW.
      ARTFULLY INTEGRATED TECHNOLOGY
      Envisioned to make interaction with its technologies more intuitive and rewarding, the LYRIQ’s partnership with the driver and passengers is simultaneously energizing and artful.
      Upon approach, the LYRIQ recognizes the driver and initiates a “greeting” with a choreographed lighting sequence, while also preparing the cabin for the journey, including seat, mirror and climate system adjustments. Once inside, the LYRIQ offers Cadillac’s highest level of driver information, infotainment and connectivity integration, for a more seamless and rewarding experience.
      A 33-inch-diagonal advanced LED display artfully integrates a single, large screen that spans the viewing area for the driver and incorporates driver information details, infotainment controls and camera views. This new display has the highest pixel density available in the automotive industry today and can display over one billion colors, 64 times more than any other vehicle in the automotive industry, providing a stunning in-vehicle experience unlike anything seen before from Cadillac.
      Additional technology and interactive highlights include:
      Battery and charging monitoring conveyed by easy, at-a-glance graphics. The system identifies the vehicle’s energy needs at home and on the go, according to owner preferences, while also monitoring and forecasting energy consumption and providing charging suggestions. New dual-plane augmented reality-enhanced head-up display employs two planes: a near plane indicating speed, direction and more, and a far plane displaying transparent navigation signals and other important alerts. The latest version of Super Cruise, the hands-free driver assistance feature, including automated lane change.3 Supervised remote parking that uses ultrasonic sensors to help the LYRIQ park itself in parallel or perpendicular parking spaces — whether the driver is inside or outside of the vehicle.4 SENSE OF SOUND
      LYRIQ’s technology also addresses sound in two important ways: Blocking unwanted sounds and making the most of the sounds passengers want to hear.
      For the first time, Cadillac will introduce a new road noise cancellation technology, which takes active noise cancellation to the next level by introducing more microphones and accelerometers, which improve noise cancellation abilities. With this new system, Cadillac’s performance and audio engineers can target the frequency range of tire cavity noise, reducing the noise level in the vehicle and allowing for a quieter in-cabin experience.
      The Cadillac LYRIQ builds on the brand’s exclusive partnership with AKG. “With LYRIQ we wanted to deliver a sound experience that would transport the driver from a vehicle into a recording studio,” said Hussein Khalil, Cadillac lead audio design release engineer. “With the AKG sound system, we are able to deliver this experience along with the quality and reliability luxury customers expect.”
      At launch, LYRIQ will offer a 19-speaker AKG Studio audio system that delivers exceptionally crisp and precise sound reproduction, enabling drivers and passengers to enjoy their favorite music.
      NEW FACE OF CADILLAC
      Cadillac’s first electric SUV makes a bold design statement that introduces a new face, proportion and presence for the brand’s new generation of EVs. It’s a forward-looking vision unconstrained by the needs of a traditional internal combustion engine and driveline.
      “The LYRIQ represents the next iteration of the iconic brand’s styling, enabled by electrification, as only Cadillac can express,” said Andrew Smith, executive director, Global Cadillac Design. “Inside and out, LYRIQ is a thoughtful integration of design and technology and is intended to make every drive an occasion.”
      Defined by taut lines and clean surfaces, LYRIQ is assertive and modern, characterized with a low, fast roofline and wide stance that emphasize agility and convey confidence. Additional details such as a flow-through roof spoiler express the careful attention paid to aerodynamics to optimize efficiency on the highway.
      A distinctive “black crystal” grille in the front is one of the LYRIQ’s most unique and expressive design elements. It is also a dynamic feature, as it is part of a dramatic lighting choreography that — along with bold vertical, slim LED signature lighting — greets the owner upon approach. At the rear, a split taillamp design incorporates slim LEDs that are also integrated into the lighting choreography.
      Inside, the LYRIQ’s new electric vehicle architecture opens up possibilities in vehicle spaciousness and design; and Cadillac designers used this as an opportunity to rethink how to use the space and where to locate various interior elements.
      The result is a more airy, minimalistic design that does more to involve the driver and passengers in the driving experience while offering exceptional functionality when it comes to storage solutions. It is also brimming with subtle yet obsessive details such as backlit speaker grilles, curved screens with hidden storage and, like the exterior, orchestrated lighting features.

• '65-67 Corvettes, esp. convertibles look great in that pale yellow they had back then. Bright yellow was an iconic color for the '69-70 Boss 302 Mustang.    Today, bright orange or bright yellow seem to be popular on the GT models of Porsches and more exotic fare like Lambos, but I prefer Porsches in the more subtle colors, like dark brown or dark green...  The upcoming Bronco 2dr looks good in orange, at least in pictures..
    • More feel-good marketing spin. EVERY brand out there has -or will in the next 11 minutes- claim the very same thing.
    • I like this pair, father and son...   Thjey ahve a lot fo fun, make a lot of sense...
    • Hella yella looks good on the new 2020/2021 Wrangler.  Orange looked good on the 69 Camaro and SS 396 Chevelle, 69 Judge, etc.  As much as I am going to wash my fingers with soap for even typing this, the Kia Soul looks fantastic in bright colors (Horse heads for soap for typing this...) Depends on the vehicle.  Some Street rods look good in yellow or Orange....the Coupe from American Graffiti for example.  I can see why Yellow would be a poor choice on a HD Diesel truck. Or a B59.  But Mayfair Maze was a fantastic color for 1960's Pontiacs. But 1960's Pontiacs and 1930's Fords are some of the most aestheically pleasing vehicles ever built...they would still look good covered in cow shit for that matter.    And with a two tone white, GMC/Chevy trucks of the 67/72 Era looked good in orange. Or the period Yellow. I would rock one without complaint.

1. lauren