The 2018 Chevrolet Equinox Could Have Looked So Much Different

• How focus groups caused Chevrolet to go back to the drawing board

If it weren't for focus groups, the design of the 2018 Chevrolet Equinox could have looked so much different.

Speaking to Automotive News, chief engineer of the 2018 Equinox Mark Cieslak revealed that focus groups weren't not impressed with the first designs of the redesigned model. They described the design as being bulky, 'not compelling', and looking a bit odd. If this was old GM, they would have gone forward with the design.

"Back in the day, we would have probably just kept going," said Cieslak.

"What we had on paper we felt was not going to win."

But this being the new GM where bean counters lost a fair amount of influence, the decision was made to go back to the drawing board. At the time, GM was scrambling to fix the Malibu as its redesign earned poor reviews and a drop in sales which likely played a part in this decision. They needed to get the Equinox redesign right as the model it would replace was very popular. There were concerns that this could cause the new Equinox to be delayed. But in the end, the team were able to design a new Equinox without falling off schedule.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Interesting, at least GM listened to the focus groups and did the right thing. If the potential customers will not like it, trash it and start over.

Todays market is one not to let be lazy or just meh. You have to always listen to the customers and push the edge.

Honda might have move up in edgy design language, but is Meh in overall driving dynamic and excitement.

It's like living on cold mush breakfast cereal.

ccap41

Posted (edited)

Is it a good thing though? Customers don't know what will look good in 5-10 years they just know what things look like now and what they're used to seeing. They didn't push anything

The Camaro got focus groups...of Camaro owners.. and look what we got. The same thing and their sales haven't taken off like most do with a brand new car.

Edited by ccap41

To me it skews too far toward feminine.  Cooties.  Plus it drags its belly in the dirt.  Piggy.

It it pushing more Korean this way.....not bad, but kinda boring as well. Liked the fact the old Nox had a kinda boxier shape to it.....

14 hours ago, ccap41 said:

The thing is that technically the Camaro groups got it right. Especially considering they moved the Camaro from a Full-Size platform to a compact one. The sales deficiency comes from lack of fleet sales IMO.. especially when compared to what Ford has done with the Mustang and FCA has done with the Chally. The only other thing Camaro team could have done would have simply left the car alone in styling.. trying to literally replicate the Camaro5 with no changes at all to visuals.. much in the way the Challenger folks have done. Well I guess they could improve (by simply going back to the 2010-2012 model) taillights

12 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I think that is the point. The smaller CUV market normally skews to women. The Terrain on the other hand still looks more masculine.. at least to me. AND there may be a huge set-up for Chevy trying to get ready for a Trailblazer (based on Colorado7) launch

6 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The thing is that technically the Camaro groups got it right.

How? How did they "technically" get it right? There's no measure of right or wrong other than people buying or not buying the product.

7 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

That IS what they did. WE, enthusiasts, know the difference but I would wager $100 that average Joe and Jane couldn't pick one from the other on a drive-by.

8 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

much in the way the Challenger folks have done.

That was only a refresh not a whole new car, assuming you're talking about the 2015 refresh.

The Camaro 6 is technically a waaaaaaay better car than the Camaro 5. I hate using the analogy when it comes to sales but saying what U are saying essentially means that the Corolla.. is the best car on the copact market because it has sold for longer and more so than all other compacts. Same for the Camry. I personally don't kno anyone who would say that the Corolla is a better car than the Cruze, Civic, or Mazda 3

Well there is not a necessity for revolution in car design every 5 years anymore. The Challenger is a prime example of this.. to your next comment.. Refresh??? The Challenger has been the same since 2006 for all intents with a simply change to front and rear clips to anyone looking. Its design is still HOT. There was no need to change it IMO. Ford could have left the Mustang alone.. the pre-facelift was actually slick.. but they effed it up. The Camaro rear end is the only negative I see on it.. it should have been left the same going all the way back to 2013 when they made the change from the 4 squares. Ironically I feel the same about the ATS front. The original front was better looking, IMO, than the change that took place for 2015.

Point is that in terms of sales Chevy could do a bunch of things to boost their numbers.. the first being dump to fleet by about 25-30% like the other two Pony Cars

and seriously.. no one can tell me that.. looking like the old one or otherwise.. that this car is not effin SWEET maxresdefault.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

It is a better car as a whole, EASILY. But we're strictly talking about exterior design/looks. That's why there really isn't much of a way to measure. There's usually a good sales bump for a new generation just because it's the new, hip thing and they look BRAND NEW. I also am not a huge sales-talk fan but new generations always create a decent bump in sales. The Gen5 outsold the Gen6 every year it was sold compared to the first year for Gen6.

17 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I agree. I think automakers need to spread the costs out longer than 5 years. Life cycles should be more in the 8 year range with a good refresh at the 4 year mark. Buuuuut competition always makes them do it sooner.

Gen 5 had a 7 year glut of Camaro/Firebird fans. Granted New generations normally create a sales bump.. but I can't stress the fact that the new GM is doing business has nothing to do with NORMALLY.. especially when it pertains to them. In other words the numbers are not the true measure by which GM, under Barra rule is gauging things. The old GM.. (1980-2009),  even the newish GM ( 2009-2013) under Smith to Wagoner to Henderson (Whitaker was too short and Akerson, IMO, started this new way of business) saw sales as a gauge of success. Barra sees profit and innovation as the measure. I prefer this.. as a fan cars and a stock holder.  Also.. the Camaro is a PLATFORM (Camaro, CTS, ATS)vehicle similar to the previous. I wouldn't be surprised if the Alpha Global sales are similar to the ZETA (Commodore, Caprice, Omega, Lumina, Camaro) Global sales 2016-2017 because as much as people like to dog out the ATS, for instance, its doing pretty decently globally. I kno that sounds like an excuse.. but from a business stand point if its producing more profit.. not producing and selling like this then why wouldn't U. 2015's $9.7 and '16s $9.5 Billion is hard to argue against. This is after leaning out and not adding a bunch of rental fat.

BTW.. I always though that the Challenger should have been outselling the Camaro and Mustang for that matter.. simply because it really isn't as performance focused as the two. Its a big family coupe that happens to use the old Detroit option of a big engine. It kinda has a niche of its own.. and Sergio, if U notice, really hasn't effed with it. Considering it and the Charger are his only sellers in the CAR world, I could see both being the same for another 2 years min.

the are putting BIG money on the hoods of Camaros right now, so I don't know how the whole profit over sales thing is working for it.  You are right though, a lot of the 5th gens success was because of a backup of fans waiting for it.  I love the exterior of the new Camaro.  For me I feel like the tightened up the lines to a point they should have been from the beginning.  I think they could have done much better with the interior, particularly style-wise.   they also didn't fix the most major issues of visibility and space.

12 minutes ago, Stew said:

Agreeeeed!

13 minutes ago, Stew said:

they also didn't fix the most major issues of visibility and space.

Also, Agreed. lol

Honestly, if I could see out of one of these it would be ahead of the Mustang on my list. It just performs so damn well and my driving style suits the low end grunt of the LT1 over the Coyote.

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Big Money??? $3000 on Loyal or 3500 on Conquest buyers.. on a car that starts off at $1700 more than the Mustang.. WHICH IS DOING THE EXACT SAME REBATE. Your point is NULL. Believe me I checked all of that before I made my original post.. just in case a dullard tried to fuck with mei70mfl.jpg

Just now, Cmicasa the Great said:

A friend's son on FB got a 2016 1SS for 28k.

A friend's son on FB got a 2016 1SS for 28k.

A friend of mine.. in REAL LIFE.. got a 17 Mustang GT for $29K

COME ON... COOOOOME ON!!!

tumblr_n06uuqxsTB1rsiv4fo1_500.gif

9 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

A friend of mine.. in REAL LIFE.. got a 17 Mustang GT for $29K

COME ON... COOOOOME ON!!!

tumblr_n06uuqxsTB1rsiv4fo1_500.gif

I'm not arguing Mustang discounts at all, am I? YOU brought mustang discounts into this.

I didn't bring the Mustang discounts in as a put-down.. I brought them in because the Mustang and the Camaro are in the same segment... competitors.. and each is a gauge of the other. If one does something then the other must follow. That shill Stew tried to make a thing of the incentives.. as if GM was actually losing money on a car that they obviously artificially priced higher

19 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Big Money??? $3000 on Loyal or 3500 on Conquest buyers.. on a car that starts off at $1700 more than the Mustang.. WHICH IS DOING THE EXACT SAME REBATE. Your point is NULL. Believe me I checked all of that before I made my original post.. just in case a dullard tried to f@#k with mei70mfl.jpg

There are dealership selling them for as much as 10 grand off............

1 minute ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The shill would be the one that thinks GM can do no wrong no matter what...........

Stew

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

LOL, we aren't talking about the Mustang, but for the heck of it, the Mustang is in it's 3rd model year with a MAJOR update coming up soon.  the Camaro is in year 2 with no major update over the horizon.   They started having to offer rebates almost immediately after the Camaro came out BTW.

Off topic, but that has to be the best looking RC I have seen.

Edited by Stew

Hey, @Cmicasa the Great   Related image

Ill make you famous!

Casa, the Camaro6 LOOKS EXACTLY like a copy then pasted and reduced by 10-15% Camaro5.

There are more VISUAL differences between a 1970 Camaro versus a 1978 Camaro than the Zeta Camaro versus the Alpha Camaro!

There are more VISUAL differences between a 1982 Camaro then there is a 1992 Camaro!

There are more VISUAL differences between a 1993 Camaro and a 2002 Camaro!

The Camaro6 is an absolute MONSTER of a car performance wise...VISUALLY though...it leaves much to be desired.

The Camaro6 should have been the Camaro5 visually and dimensionally. GM had to make do withy the Zeta platform, and that is GREAT! So the Camaro5 is what it was, which at the end was a FAN-PHOQUING-TASTIC car that was LOOOONG in the tooth in the VISUAL department...and what does GM do for the next gen? GM copy and pastes the Camaro5 and reduces it by 10-15%....

The Camaro6 should have NOT looked that way. It SHOULD have taken a different approach.

But @Cmicasa the Great, its OK...we had are showdown at the OK Corral a looong time ago regarding this! Time to move forward.

A little reminder...

Transformers the Movie came out in 2007 when we got a glimpse of what the Camaro will look like...we are in 2017....that is a decade of having a similar look!

Deny is all you could do...but unlike Johnny Ringo, I am your huckleberry and I do NOT back down and I certainly don't lose to you!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.