GM Plans On Building More Crew Cab Models Of 2019 Trucks

More crew cabs are expected to be rolling off the production line

When the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra begin rolling off the assembly line sometime later this year, there will be a larger number of crew cabs.

GM's vice president of global product development, Mark Reuss tells Automotive News that the company has been "constrained' when it comes to the output of their crew cab pickups, a segment that has seen its popularity increase in recent years. Reuss said the company is planning to increase capacity for crew cabs with their next-generation pickups.

A Chevrolet spokesman said that crew cabs have grown from more than 50 percent of GM's truck sales in 2013 to more than 60 percent.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Edited by William Maley

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Surprised the percentage is so low... maybe there are regional variations, but I ever see usually are crew cabs.

I was thinking the same thing. I almost never see regular cab trucks that aren't utility or maintenance trucks of some kind. I would have guessed it would closer to 80/20 split.

Just now, Scout said:

Yeah, out here in the burbs civilian use ones seem to all be crew cabs.  And in Phoenix, they all seemed to be 4WD crew cabs...

Not interested unless it is a 4-door coupe pickup.

Got a picture of what a Crew Cab Coupe Pickup would look like?

oooh..maybe a sleek roofline coupe pickup is the next un-exploited niche. :)  Frameless door glass, lower roof, sleek c-pillars coming back like flying buttresses over the bed sides...

1 hour ago, Scout said:

I'd agree but I think the 80/20 would include both Crew Cab and Double Cab.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Your forgetting about the Double cab.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's easy to mix Crew Cab and Double Cab from Chevy and Ram because they have four doors opening up "regularly" where Ford's middle cab configuration doesn't have exposed door handles and are more of a "suicide door" style.

Crew Cab is a Double Cab.  Maybe you are thinking Extended Cab?   (double cab is more of an EU/Asia market term, meaning what we call a Crew Cab).

Since GM and Ram have normal doors on their extended cabs, I'm not sure the point of having an extended cab anymore, since the only difference between it and a crew cab is the length, rear doors, and rear leg room.  Why not just offer a regular cab and a crew cab and cut out the middle version?   Not sure of the value of the middle version.

4dr trucks--whether Extended Cab or Crew Cab, far outsell regular cabs.   BTW, remember when Ford's regular cabs even had little rear opening extended cab style doors?

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

:butthead:

Weird, but all my searches for a Coupe Crew Cab Pickup keeps bringing me to these type of trucks. Anything but a Coupe Style I think, but still a cool old Ford Pickup that should be restored into a Rat rod or performance cool truck.

#1old-pickup-trucks-ford-trucks.jpg

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

#1old-pickup-trucks-ford-trucks.jpg

Interesting...wonder what the story is with that.. a Ford F1 extended cab??

8 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

image.jpeg.16c422bce9b4ee2a2068bba246ee857d.jpeg2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Double Cab

@balthazar Please confirm or correct me but it seems 1936 built by Chevy Coupe Pickups?

ChevyCoupePickup.jpg

Cool found a 1937 Terraplane Hudson Coupe Pickup.

1937TerraplaneHudsonCoupePickup.jpg

I can now see a Nod to the Past in building a CUV Pickup. Very cool! :metal:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado has changed their naming from the "Extended Cab" to a "Double Cab." The double car is slightly smaller than the Crew Cab and this affect ordering car windows for the rear driver and passenger's doors.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Chris Jenish said:

Wow..that's f*ked up... and Ram calls theirs a Quad Cab....and doesn't Ford call their extended cab a Super Cab and the crew cab a Super Crew?   Need standardized terminology for the body styles.

ChevyCoupePickup.jpg

Cool found a 1937 Terraplane Hudson Coupe Pickup

1937TerraplaneHudsonCoupePickup.jpg

I can now see a Node to the Past in building a CUV Pickup. Very cool! :metal:

The Terrorplane looks like an Australian Ute..which were called Coupe Pickups also, I think..car body with a bed, kind of the precursor to El Caminos and Rancheros.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

20 minutes ago, Chris Jenish said:

Your forgetting about the Double cab.

No, I'm aware of the different configurations. The article says they will be building more crew cabs. I was  surprised the "crew cab" was only 60 percent of sales. I really would have expected it to be more.

34 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

They're different. They have 3 different cabs on Silverados and F150's. Ram has a 4th, Mega Cab.

2018 Silverado.PNG

#1old-pickup-trucks-ford-trucks.jpg

That's actually super cool looking but it doesn't look like what I would imagine a 4 door coupe truck would look like in 2018..which would be crap.

Just now, ccap41 said:

As was brought up in Chris J's post, GM is now calling their extended cabs double cabs.  Which is odd, since Double Cab was always synonymous with Crew Cab in my understanding.  Problem is everyone uses a different term for an extended cab---Super Cab, Quad Cab, etc.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Chris Jenish said:

image.jpeg

I think they changed the name because they stopped the front opening rear doors. They wanted to make sure customers weren't confused with the old truck.

131_0606_07_z+2007_chevy_avalanche+drivers_side_view.jpg

Really, so the Avalanche was considered a Coupe Crew Cab pickup? WOW :o

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Really, so the Avalanche was considered a Coupe Crew Cab pickup? WOW :o

LOL, it just has the roofline from the side view.

LOL, it just has the roofline from the side view.

It kind of does fit the description...  integrated body and cab, 4 drs...

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

To name a few. Over the years they have had many more.

If I remember correctly that is a custom cab.

We have also had supper cabs, King cabs, x-tra cabs and so on.

Edited by Scout

18 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I remember that...not sure if Toyota built those or it was some aftermarket vendor..

1980's Toyota Custom Cab Pickup were 3rd party built trucks with a sleep cab, much the way 3rd party Vans were built.

Good History of Toyota here:

But they do not comment on the Custom Cab pickup.

1985-Toyota-4x4-Custom-Cab-Pickup-2.jpg

Found out that Toyota had these built for them from a company in Oregon and shipped then throughout NA.

CFM Custom Fab MFG of Oregon Inc.

5602 N. E. Skyport Way, Portland OR 97218

1-503-284-9195

Very interesting truck.

I've seen a few of those...even saw one in the Phoenix area still going about 5 years ago.

Speaking of custom Toyota trucks, I always wondered if this Hot Wheels Toyota from 1980 or so is from Mattel's imagination or if something real was built like this, maybe a one off custom...

s-l225.jpg

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

s-l225.jpg

That makes me think mini Dolphin.

7 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

s-l225.jpg

Wonder if that was supposed to be an early FJ concept?

EDIT: On second thought, I think that is supposed to be a Custom Cab with a canopy on the back of the truck bed. Sure looks like the one I posted above.

Found this cool Toyota Concept truck. Reminds me of the 80's

See the source image

1980's Toyota Custom Cab Pickup were 3rd party built trucks with a sleep cab,

I didn't realize those were aftermarket.  Well, I guess that being the case you could always have a MEGA X 2 truck if you have the money and desire.

11 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

s-l225.jpg

See the source image

Yup, I think it is supposed to be a 1990's SR5 Extra Cab with matching Canopy you have there.

5 minutes ago, Scout said:

Very Cool, I can see these selling to Catholic and Mormon families. Thanks for the post as I like these. :)

I hope GM rethinks making a truck like their 2008 Concept. I loved this looking truck!

See the source image

Love the room in Ram Mega Cab! :metal:

I've never been in one but to think they're more spacious than a SCrew F150 is insane. I think those cabs are huge. lol

51 minutes ago, William Maley said:

Coming soon from Mercedes-Benz, the XLC-Coupe.

8 months later from BMW then another 10 months from Audi.

I have been in them and love the ability to stretch my long legs out and the fact that the rear bench has a 6 inch slide so you can pull it forward and be more like a supercrew truck or standard crew cab with plenty of storage room behind the seat.

8 months later from BMW then another 10 months from Audi.

And no acknowledgement from SMK that Cadillac did it 16 years before the Germans.

See the source image

Nah, the Hot Wheels is from 1980 and the rear body is integral w/ the cab...has a neat little sofa and table inside..seems like something that might have been a SEMA-type show custom...

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

OK, giving me the date, I think it is a custom conversion as a number of companies in the 80's and 90's would take the trucks and turn them into custom camper trucks.

See the source image

Chinook conversions was the biggest on any body style they offered even on the Extra cab.

See the source image

I remember Chinook...still a bunch of the later ones running around in AZ...  the Hot Wheels reminds me of a sleeker version of this Chinook.

images-27.jpeg

Got a picture of what a Crew Cab Coupe Pickup would look like?

Person(s) in the back have to be horizontal.

62 P Armbruster05.png

Model FC Coupe-Delivery, 3183 built in '36. '42 was the last year.

- - - - -
    • 'Double Cab" is a toyota thing for the most part, not domestic market. I was a bit disapointed Chevy appropriated the term a few years ago.

- - - - -

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 5.47.01 PM.png

Edited by balthazar

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Person(s) in the back have to be horizontal.

62 P Armbruster05.png

The body work looks neat on that Pontiac..rear opening door behind the front door.  Would be neat to convert the bed area (former flower car?) into a long trunk...

I looked at this very car when it was in NJ- immense- had a 2-piece driveshaft. Ad claimed it was 1 of 1. These pics were from 2012- after the owner apparently had moved to AZ.

62 P Armbruster03.png

^^ THIS IS A 4-DOOR COUPE, THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE A "4-DOOR COUPE" ^^
    I don't care what the ad men claim.

Be still my heart RE taking the stainless off & making a huge trunk lid. I LOVE short hood/long deck cars.

Here's a '63 (non-commercial):

63 Bonnelino.jpg

Edited by balthazar

52 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Odd  that the windows don't open with the rear hinged doors.

Guess someone thought of strong roll over protection over ease of getting in and out. Weird for sure, but cool.

Apparently the coachbuilder (Armbruster in this case) used a Catalina 2-dr sedan shell and fabricated opening doors in the quarters.

Nah- I think one would be hard pressed to flip this float. Besides, hardtop were the norm vs. sedans in this era.

Edited by balthazar

No one is worried about rollover protection in a funeral flower car.

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No one is worried about rollover protection in a funeral flower car.

Especially in 1962.  People rarely wore seatbelts then... different world.

I established my 'pilots license' in a pre-seatbelt car. Well, I didn't drive it much but I was deeply in love with everything about it.
    When I later got another of the same year/make as a daily driver, tho it did have front outer belts, I never wore them. To this day I frequently drive without my belt on. I get yelled at / it's a work in progress...

Fed requirement for front outer belts went into effect for Jan of 1966. I know that at least as far before that as '62, GM was welding 'bosses' under the floor for dealers to install belts (which sometimes happened- and I believe they were also optional in this period (not an expert on this). No provisions for belts in my '59, tho I am going to install outer front lap belts.

In 30+ years of driving, I've mostly only driven in cars with 3 point seat belts, but have driven a few late 60s Fords with the lap belt / separate shoulder belt arrangement. In the 69 Mustang the shoulder belt doesn't have any give, so I can't reach the radio when I have it on, so I drive that car with the lap belt only (drove it a whole 25 miles last year).   Just seems so alien to me to drive without 3-point inertia reel style belts.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I feel uncomfortable in a car without my belt on.  It's such a mechanical thing for me to do when I get in the car, I've caught myself doing it just shuffling cars around in the driveway.

• By David
      GM announced today their new family of EV motors, The Ultium Drive family.

The Ultium Drive family is made up of five interchangeable drive units and three motors. This will help transition the current portfolio of auto's to fully electric lineup. Performance, scale, speed to market and manufacturing efficiencies will provide GM significant advantages over past EV auto's. GM is leading the way with industry class leading drive units that use an electric motor and single-speed transmissions to apply power best in class horsepower and torque. Ultium Drives will be more responsive than internal combustion motors with precision torque control of the motors and smooth performance. The design and development of the Ultium Drive modular architecture allows us to offer industry-leading torque with power density across a wide spectrum of different vehicles types.
      GM has applied their 25 years of EV experience in creating the Ultium Drive family with lighter and more efficient designs. The Ultium Drive family integrates the power electronics into the drive units assemblies allowing for a 50% reduction in electronics over previous auto's thus saving cost and packaging space while increasing capability by 25 percent.

To Quote GM press release:
      “As with other propulsion systems that are complex, capital intensive and contain a great deal of intellectual property, we’re always better off making them ourselves,” said Adam Kwiatkowski, GM executive chief engineer, Global Electrical Propulsion. “GM’s full lineup of EVs should benefit from the simultaneous engineering of Ultium Drive. Our commitment to increased vertical integration is expected to bring additional cost efficiency to the performance equation.”
      Ultium-Drive-to-Help-Power-GMs-All-Electric-Future.mp4

• By David
      Detroit Free Press covered the annual GM Analysts call this week and with the second quarter results it showed that GM has lost $800 million in the quarter but over all North American Earnings were breakeven and this was with 8 weeks of shutdown. Over all the Stock beat wall streets estimates and yet still sold off in large numbers during the pandemic closure.
      Analysts had plenty of questions for GM with a major question of will GM consider spinning off their technology arm which would include electric vehicles operations into a stand alone company?
      The idea of a stand alone GM Tech company is to recognize the advanced tech GM has over other auto companies and to unlock what Analysts see as considerable shareholder value. This new entity would allow access to cheap new capital to keep the old GM going till the new GM would replace it as a cutting edge tech auto company with what is seen as future strong growth.
      GM has reinforced it's future of all electric auto's, self driving auto's and what it expects to become a zero emission company with 20 new EV auto's on the market by 2023, the first being out in Q1 of 2021.
      The group of Analysts has suggested the new company be called Ultium based on GM's new battery tech.
      The CEO responded that GM is evaluating many scenarios for the future of GM. She had nothing further to say other than the board and executive team will consider all options for what is best for driving long-term shareholder value. Quote: "Nothing is off the table."
      Analysts have since added notes to their research suggesting that GM could already be considering this since so many start ups are valued more than GM such as Tesla, Nikola, Rivian, etc. The Billions of cheap dollars that could help drive GM long term into the future is hard to ignore.
      Some analysts say that to split the company would kill off the baby, meaning the EV side would die after the money was harvested from the stock sale as you only have the Chevrolet Bolt and the new company would have to follow Tesla in going back to the market for more and more money. This is based on what some analysts see as only a US/Canada interest in EVs compared to the rest of the world needing ICE.
      That being said it does show a clear line between those Analysts that see Europe and China leading in new tech with a change to EV's versus those Analysts that are more inline with the oil industry and imply that there is little to no interest in EV's.
      End result is WHAT WILL GM DO?
      I suspect GM will stay the course of using ICE auto's to fund the change to an all EV world. 50 years from now, people will be wondering why it took so long to dump ICE auto's in favor of EV's.
      What are your thoughts on this?

• By David
      Today July 31st 2020 GM and EVgo anounced their partnership to grow the EVgo fast charging network in growing nationally fast chargers. 2,700 fast chargers will be paid for and added to the EVgo network of fast chargers nationally by 2025.
      EVgo currently has 800 fast chargers that allows EV's to fully charge battery packs from 15 to 30 mins. In support of GM's drive to be 100% renewable power, all EVgo chargers use renewable energy now and will continue for the additional 2,700 stations that are to be added to the network.
      To Quote the News Release:
      This EV charging announcement continues GM’s commitment to an all-electric future.
      The heart of GM’s strategy is a modular propulsion system and a highly flexible global EV platform powered by proprietary Ultium batteries, allowing the company to compete for nearly every customer in the market today, whether they are looking for affordable transportation, a luxury experience, work trucks or a high-performance machine. On Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020, Cadillac will reveal the luxury brand’s first fully electric vehicle, the Cadillac LYRIQ. Earlier this year, GM announced that the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant will be GM’s first plant that is 100 percent devoted to electric vehicles and in fall 2021, will start building the new GMC HUMMER EV. GM was the first automaker to launch a long-range, affordable EV in 2017 with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and will expand on the Bolt EV’s foundation with the introduction of the Bolt EUV in 2021.  In March 2020, GM announced plans to greatly expand employee workplace charging with the addition of 3,500 new plugs at GM facilities in the U.S. and Canada. In 2019, GM announced the creation of Ultium Cells LLC, a joint venture with LG Chem to mass-produce battery cells in Ohio for future battery-electric vehicles, and that GM is working with Qmerit to create a more accessible at-home charging solution. 1 Actual charge times will vary based on battery condition, output of charger, vehicle settings and outside temperature.
      The Hyundai Santa Cruz has been talked about off and on since its debut as a concept in 2015. But it seems the truck is finally coming to fruition as some new spy shots reveal.
      Compared to the concept which was an extended cab, Hyundai is using a crew cab layout. The bed is quite short, possibly around four to five feet being our guess. Up front, the Santa Cruz gets the same front end treatment as the refreshed 2021 Santa Fe - wider front grille and new headlight treatment.
      Following in the footsteps of the Honda Ridgeline, the Santa Fe will be based on a unibody platform. In this case, the Santa Fe. This likely means power will come from either the 2.4L four-cylinder with 185 horsepower and 178 pound-feet of torque or turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 235 hp and 260 lb-ft. Our money is on the latter engine.
      Expect more details to come out on the Santa Cruz before its launch next year.
      Source: Autoblog, Car and Driver

Expect more details to come out on the Santa Cruz before its launch next year.
      Source: Autoblog, Car and Driver

1. Raybob9289
      Raybob9289
    2. Z06C6Vette
      Z06C6Vette

There are no registered users currently online