Rumorpile: GM Joins the Electric Van Fray

Your future delivery vehicle may be electric and from GM

While the focus on the electric vehicles have been on the ultra plush and quick models from the likes of Tesla, Audi, and Jaguar, there is a lot of work being done for electric delivery vans. The combination of reduced maintenance, low fuel costs, and an abundance of torque to deal with heavy loads make them a perfect to do deliveries in urban areas. Rivian is the most-well known player here with plans to build out a fleet of electric vans for Amazon. Another player is ready to join the fight.

Reuters reported yesterday that General Motors is working on a electric van for the commercial market. Five sources reveal that the van - codenamed BV1 - is expected to go into production late next year. It is expected to use Ultium battery technology that GM first talked about back in March. Utilizing this could solve one of the big issues with EVs, price. By switching Cobalt (expensive) for Aluminum (less expensive), GM says it will drop the cost of a battery to $100 per kilowatt-hour - making it around the same cost as regular gas powered van. Analysis done last year put the kilowatt-hour cost of a battery at $159.

One item still being debated internally is whether the van will be sold as Chevrolet, GMC, or a new brand.

When asked by Reuters, GM said it is “committed to an all-electric future and is implementing a multi-segment, scalable EV strategy to get there. At this time, we do not have any announcements to make regarding electric commercial vehicles.”

GM isn't the only company getting on the electric van train. Ford has announced plans for an electric version of the Transit to launch in 2022, and British startup Arrival which has the backing of Hyundai, currently has an order of 10,000 vans from UPS.

Source: Reuters

Very exciting to see that the future will have quiet zero emission delivery vans in cities and urban areas. Should help with clean air as well as just keeping things quiet.

Right now it is so noisy with all the diesel UPS and FedEx vans moving around to deliver everything due to the pandemic.

I think a lot of it is cultural with respect to how much people use their horns and just being obnoxiously loud too with their car radios or conversations etc..   Tokyo is very quiet for a city of almost 40 million people, amazing.

Edited by frogger

33 minutes ago, frogger said:

Very true, as one that went to college at Kobe University, I have spent much time in Tokyo and this is true of the whole country, people are raised to not impose their choices of music, auto noise, etc. on others around them and as such you do have traditional city noise without all the extraneous noise of music, open pipe auto's exhausts, etc.

The worst thing I remember before the Pandemic was the Harley open header bikes coming into the city of Seattle early in the morning for construction jobs and how loud and noisy it was. I felt for those living in the city that are woke up by the rude noise of the bikes or auto's that also have loud exhausts.

EV's will bring much tranquility to the cities as well as the urban areas.

I haven't been but it is right up there on my bucket list to spend a few months. I do enjoy watching travel videos on youtube sometimes.

1 hour ago, frogger said:

You will love all the vending machines, there is nothing you cannot get out of a vending machine. It is OK for kids to buy cigarettes and 5th of whiskey for their parents. There is far more respect for both youth and older adults than we see here in the US. We could learn a few things on having a better open society leading to respect for each other.

This is not to say they are perfect as they have their own issues also much like us.

Commercial EV vans make sense for deliveries as long as they know the average distance traveled in their specific routes and they should with GPS tracking that they use, but these vans will need 500+ mi. of range to cover most UPS or FedEx routes. Not gonna work sitting at a public charging station just to finish their route if over miles. I'm sure the GPS tracking will be able to advise the drivers to return to the distribution hub when at a certain threshold is reached, but what if you're the next guy in the route and now you have to wait until tomorrow because your drivers battery packs got too low? :explode:

I can tell you as of right now that UPS being the largest parcel delivery company in the world was the WORST during the height of the pandemic the last 3 months, they're all screwed up, my regular UPS driver told me it's busy like Christmas, but no extra drivers or trucks to cover the increase in shipments. Nothing is on time, not even close and they aren't guaranteeing anything, no next day or two day. Meanwhile, FedEx, Ontrac, Amazon as well as even USPS were surprisingly pretty good at getting parcels and/or letters delivered on time or even early at times.

Edited by USA-1
    • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, USA-1 said:

All businesses that have EVs have fast chargers and as such your looking at 40 min for full recharge not waiting till the next day. STOP THE FUD! about EVs. A full recharge is very doable during a lunch break.

We already know that the average route for US mail is under 100 miles a day, so no problem going EV for USPS, Amazon also has stated that their average daily route is no more than 150 miles if Urban, on average 50 to 80 miles in the City, so again no problem for EVs.

Multiple sites that have UPS or FedEx drivers posting that on average they drive 100 to 150 miles with anywhere from 150 to 220 packages to be delivered. I have a hard time believing that the delivery drivers taking the package the last step to the customers door are driving 300 to 500 miles a day. 300 to 500 miles a day makes no business sense as they would never have time to stop and deliver the packages. There are posts that many drivers are like USPS with routes under 100 miles a day but hundreds of packages that have to be delivered.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Calm down EV soldier I'm not bashing EV's I'm just thinking outside of the box, try it sometime. I'm talking UPS or FedEx, those guys push 400-500 mi. every day especially right now and the huge battery packs on these trucks will never fully recharge during a lunch break if nearly depleted. My UPS driver just told me it's nuts and not enough time in the day to get all packages delivered, some have (and this is no joke) 800 stops/deliveries thrown on them in a day and at least half or more get pushed off for the next day and others for the next day and so on and so on. Deliveries will have to be scheduled around the trucks range just like current full BEV's and don't forget the extra weight of these truck will eat up the batteries faster as well. I still think the GM Voltec platform was the best technology having the best of both world's, but it was never marketed correctly or at all really. As for USPS yes those guys are ready for EV's with shorter routes and the long overdue replacement needed of the ancient small box trucks. If the UPS and FedEx trucks were the Voltec platform they could have EV mode around town and diesel mode on the freeway where batteries get depleted the fastest.

Have you owned or regularly driven a BEV or PHEV yet? I have, so I am speaking first hand with how they act.

2 hours ago, USA-1 said:

One your wrong, the semi truck drivers might cover 400 to 500 miles in a day, but not the local deliver folks.

Your also wrong on the battery pack charging full on a lunch break. All the current 300 mile battery packs fully recharge in under an hour on DC fast chargers.

I agree with you that the GM Voltec should never have been a car and they first VOLT should have been a CUV and they should have had it in multiple CUVs by now.

Spent the last 5 years commuting to work daily in a Volt as a team member has one and it is great other than no one can sit behind me cause there is not enough room and my knees hit the volt dash.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Do you mean, "you're" the one who's wrong? :D

These aren't going to be the standard 66kWh car battery packs like the Bolt has with 260mi. range. The charge time and range differs greatly with the type of onboard charger whether Level 2 or Level 3 DCFC and the kWh rating of the charger and the battery pack. Remember I worked for Blink Network here in Phoenix so I'm well versed with EV's and the chargers which are all onboard each car and each manf. is different. These vans will more than likely use the GM Ultium 800v 200kWh packs to make up for the extra weight of the van and the cargo, so charging will be much longer than 30 min. to get to full recharge, definitely not during your lunch break like you originally stated above.

Hightower just ripped the front seats out and sat in back of his CVCC, we already talked about this David! :roflmao:

Edited by USA-1

And you probably will as they aren't in any hurry to enginer a new model unless this is the vehicle that brings the change. You know GMs famous bean counters it'll probably be the required electrics and an infusion of aluminum and a new grill and tailights.

11 hours ago, 67impss said:

All the press release from GM says these new electric delivery / people transportation vans will be on the newest EV platform.

GM Fact Sheet_EV Architecture 030320.pdf

Electric van makes a lot of sense because most delivery vans, especially in urban areas aren't doing a ton of miles per day.  Also for things like contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc that don't put a lot of miles per day on a van.

Plus with a van you can stick batteries in the floor easily, from a packaging standpoint is is easy on design.  From a maintenance standpoint, an EV needs less maintenance and thus less downtime for what is a work or delivery vehicle.

• mid '80s-early '90s cars: '53 Merc 2-dr sedan '59 Star Chief 4-dr sedan '65 Catalina 2-dr sedan '68 Sedan deVille 4-dr hardtop '64 Grand Prix 2-dr hardtop '59 Invicta 2-dr hardtop '67 Malibu 2-dr hardtop '67 Chevelle 2-dr hardtop '65 Corvair 2-dr hardtop '65 Corsa 2-dr hardtop '64 Ford Custom 2-dr sedan '66 Belvidere 2-dr hardtop '63 Galaxie 4-dr hardtop numerous Mustangs '67 Firebird 2-dr hardtop '69 Firebird 2-dr hardtop '67 Coupe deVille '68 deVille convertible '63 Catalina 2-dr hardtop '68 Catalina 2-dr hardtop '69 Cougar 2-dr hardtop '72 Duster 2-dr hardtop '74 Camaro coupe ...off the top of my head
    • I think both in Ohio and S Florida most of the regular 60s and 50s stuff was gone from the roads in the mid 80s (salt). There were a few 60s cars in my high school—maybe a 1/2 dozen, and only 2 from the 50s I remember—a ‘56 Ford pickup street rod and a late 50s MGA.     The ‘60s cars I remember were the twins that had a pair of restored red ‘65 Mustangs—one coupe, one convertible, a rough brown ‘68 Mustang coupe, a rough blue ‘66 Mustang coupe, an orange ‘68 Road Runner, a dark blue ‘68 Charger, a gray ‘65 Coupe de Ville and a well worn ‘68 Comet 2dr.
    • Right; 4-drs were shunned among enthusiasts.... but of course a huge quantity of 2-drs had bench seats. I'm fine with buckets/console in vintage stuff, I just also have no problem with a bench there, too. I briefly considered buckets/console in my '59, decided not to bother. 'Our gang' ran mostly older iron in the mid '80s; mid '60's stuff, with a couple of '50s cars.
    • When I was I high school, 4drs with bench seats weren’t aspirational though.  They were thought of as parent and grandpa cars.  Kids wanted sporty 2dr bucket seat hatchbacks—those were the cars we wanted in the mid 80s.     But I had many friends that got hand-me-down sedans from their folks…I remember a pale green ‘77 LeSabre, a sweet red w/ white top ‘76 Electra Limited 2dr, a dark red ‘81 Delta 88, and a sweet triple silver ‘80 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d’Elegance.  Rode in all of them, often with 6 teenagers...they were comfortable, not cramped.  Also remember a blue '75-78 Marquis 4dr and an early 80s Impala wagon.  I drove my Dad’s ‘85 Town Car to school on occasion before I got my ‘87 Mustang GT.
    • Latest News Solid State Breakthrough, Safe, Long-lasting and Energy-dense! Be it a AA battery size cell or a pouch, the holly grail of battery research is smaller size with denser energy. Recently some major break throughs have happened on the Solid State front that brings Safe, Long-lasting and Energy-dense that can possibly revolutionize the BEV industry. ---> Read More BrightDrop Launches EV410 with Verizon and Sets Record for EV600 Electric Vehicles BrightDrop, General Motors commercial electric auto division launches an all new electric van with Verizon and sets a record for their first announced EV600 van. ---> Read More Creating 11,000 Jobs, Investing $11.4 Billion, FORD to Lead America's Shift to Electric Vehicles A new MEGA Campus in Tennessee and TWIN Battery plants in Kentucky, FORD believes America can grow with new investments in BEVs with a new lineup of advanced EVs. ---> Read More Is Legacy Auto Maker Toyota Days as Number 1 Numbered? In 2008 Toyota Motor Company surpassed GM for the first time in 77 years to become the #1 auto builder. Yet recent pre-sales / sales seems to indicate that time might be limited. ---> Read More 2030 Volvo Aims to be Leather-free Starting with the Electric C40 SUV. Volvo is making an ethical stand for animal welfare as it moves to a fully electric portfolio of auto's. Starting with the C40 Recharge, all new BEVs will be completely leather-free. Tell us what you think! ---> Read More Redwood Materials and Ford Announce Partnership on Batteries! Tesla cofounder JB Straubel's Redwood Materials and Ford have announced a closed-loop on battery production to recycling. ---> Read More Most Powerful, Most Off-Road Capable and Smartest Expedition Ever, 2022 Ford Expedition is Revealed! How does an auto company close out the summer of 2021? By revealing their flagship full size SUV. Check out the new 2022 Ford Expedition! ---> Read More Latest Reviews Quick Drive: 2020 Lexus NX 300h & UX 250h Lexus' Hybrid Theory of Crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Hyundai Venue SEL & Palisade Limited AWD Looking at the smallest and largest Hyundai crossovers ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota 4Runner Venture Edition and Land Cruiser Heritage Edition Driving around in Toyota's old school SUVs ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota Prius XLE AWD-e and Corolla Hatchback XSE Can small changes make big changes? ---> Read More Quick Drive: 2020 Toyota Camry TRD & Lexus ES 350 F-Sport From the Mundane to Somewhat Exciting ---> Read More Click here to view our privacy policy CheersandGears.com - Established 2001  P.O. Box 17974, Pittsburgh, PA 15235 You can manage your subscription settings at the following link https://www.cheersandgears.com/settings/?area=newsletters

1. Rainier