Hyundai Santa Cruz Pickup is Still Coming

Just a few bumps on the road to get there

Ever since Hyundai revealed the Santa Cruz concept back at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show, there have been questions whether or not it would make it to production. The last we heard anything about the truck was last August where the home office finally gave the green light to go forward with the project. No time frame was given at the time.

Speaking to Motor Trend, Hyundai Motor America's chief operating officer Brian Smith said Santa Cruz will likely arrive in 2020 or so. Smith also revealed that the model would be using the Tuscon's platform.

“We love it, we talk about it a lot,” said Smith.

It is unclear whether Hyundai is planning to change up the Santa Cruz's design or not.

Getting the Santa Cruz from concept to this point has been long and arduous. Then-CEO Dave Zuchowski pushed hard for this model to go into production after it got enough positive feedback. In 2016, Hyundai reportedly gave the ok for the project to go forward and Zuchowski said an official announcement was coming. The plan was to have the Santa Fe launched in 2018 as a 2019 model. But things fell apart only a year later as Zuchowski was shown the door due to falling sales. The champion for the Santa Cruz was lost and the model was up in the air.

Now, it seems things are back on track.

Source: Motor Trend

Very cool as I liked the look of this concept, but I have to doubt it will ever really get built. They are watching Honda and the Ridgeline 2.0 according to Motor Trend and sales for the first 3 months of 2018 has the Honda Truck down 30% which does make one wonder about Unibody pickups. Also VW is testing the waters for a Unibody pickup and while they believe they could sell from 50-70K units a year, the Honda Ridgeline has sold 7005 through the end of March, that means a total of 28,020 trucks for the year and this is down 30% from last year.

I question them investing in a truck that has such low sales numbers. Currently the Honda Ridgeline average transaction price as of this week is $40,723.

40,723 * 28,020 = $1,141,058,460.00

OK, can they R&D, tool up, build, support and do a truck for $500 million looking at sales of $1 billion? :scratchchin: Maybe........

Well, it's not going to look anything like that.  My bet is that Hyundai is just trying to beat VW to market.

@dfelt, so much of the R&D is done already. 90% of the interior and mechanical bits are probably found on the Santa Fe.

Hyundai definitely needs to build this, I said that when the concept first came out.  I am sure it won't look like the concept but they need a pickup.  And I think a unibody design that has the same towing and weight hauling ability of a Santa Fe is fine, because for a lot of people that is all they need.  I also think there are people that may want a pick up (and possibly a lot of females) but don't want something so truck like and high off the ground or with a 10,000 lb tow rating since they will never tow.

The current pick up trucks are almost the SUV equivalent of the 3-row SUV, well not everyone needs a 3-row or can afford it, so all these small SUVs exploded onto the market.  Small pickups can make a rise too, and I mean smaller than a Colorado or Tacoma.

Owners will have to put up with some negative vibes from people who think they know it all trolling them in public over their unibody truck..

Sometimes I think a better looking/executed Honda Element could do well these days.

Edited by frogger

I have seen only a few Ridgelines around here, and around here is F-Series country (with a lot of Silverados and Sierras too).  This unibody Hyundai will have a tough time convincing traditional truck buyers to actually want one, especially in the era of the CUV.  I also doubt that Hyundai's new unibody pickup will make inroads against the Colorado/Canyon, let alone the Tacoma.

I will ask the same question that also applies to the Ridgeline and its fairly low sales numbers: why would anyone buy a midsize or compact unibody pickup truck?!

While I think it's cool....it's coming to late.

By the time this thing finally rolls out, gas prices could be sky high again. Vw can find success with theirs because it's quirky, cool-but not going to be a huge seller.

Though as said above 90% is already done-so they can adjust stuff on the fly.

Also question if folks will still be interested......

3 hours ago, frogger said:

Gas prices are already sky high up here again

Agreed, Last week Seattle was in the mid $2.20-$2.30 a gallon and the Anacortes oil refinery was shutdown as they were changing over from winter blends to summer blend gas. This week $3.09 a gallon. WTF, clearly an investigation into oil manipulation of refined gas needs to be done as you just do not have big jumps when the trading price is not changing that much.

Something Stinks and I smell Big Oil Manipulation!

12 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think I saw 2.69 here today. For whatever that's worth, lol.

Same here in SWFL.  And less than two weeks ago, it was $2.50 for regular.

$2.89- $2.93 here.  New Santa Fe has a trucky face, I can see that face on a pickup version of the Santa Fe.  Base model Ioniq has an MSRP of only $21k, seems like a good deal for 58 MPG.

10 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Same here in SWFL.  And less than two weeks ago, it was $2.50 for regular.

Yup, same here. It wasn't long ago that it was in the 2.50's for awhile.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, ccap41 said:

Premium?

Definitely Premium.  Around here, premium is as high as $3.289 a gallon.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:03 AM, ccap41 said:

Premium?

Nope, regular unleaded.

image.png

Premium

image.png

Diesel

image.png

I usually fuel up at Fred Meyers and they were $3.179 that morning and now $3.199 in the afternoon. Crazy, But I use the following site to check out prices.

This site is focused on washington but uses the Gas buddy search engine.

Yes, we are close to $3 for regular and well over $3 for premium.

Thank you, Chris Christy, you a$$hole!

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ykX said:

Yes, we are close to $3 for regular and well over $3 for premium.

Thank you, Chris Christy, you a$$hole!

Phil Murphy is the Gov since Jan 2018. How is the current price the blame of Chris Christy?

Do not get me wrong as I think he is a criminal as well as a bad gov, but just wondering how the current gas price is his fault?

Christy raised gas tax by 23 cent for a gallon.  So despite high taxes we at least used to have cheap gas.  Now not only we have one of the highest taxes in the US but also one of the highest gas prices as well.

Christy made a compromise with democrats that at least they will lower sales tax to compensate for a gas tax, and now our wonderful new governor wants to roll back the sales tax while of course keeping the gas tax hike in place.  Got to love politicians ...

Nope, regular unleaded.

image.png

Premium

image.png

Diesel

image.png

This site is focused on washington but uses the Gas buddy search engine.

Holy sht that's pricey out there.

When I went past a gas station today I saw regulat 2.79 and diesel 3.04. They didn't have premium on the sign.

37 minutes ago, ykX said:

Taxes are going to explode here under Murphy. I'd not be surprised to see the property tax cap undone, also.
    Moremoremoremoremore, always more.

Regular today is 2.63 here... picture it being 2.40 instead.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Holy sht that's pricey out there.

Keep it in perspective, we DO NOT have a state Income tax and our property taxes are still some of the lowest in the country. Sales tax is 10% but so is California which also has a state income tax. Pay as you go state.

Hopefully we won't have to worry about California sullying the works for too much longer, they will be a rogue nation.

Edited by ocnblu

54 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

That will NEVER happen, the Feds rely on California for their budget way too much.

Top 15 states in order of federal tax collections.

image.png

Oh God- look at Jersey's numbers. Revenue per capita... why am I still here??

Just be glad your not in Mass or Minn those states gotta suck.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Jersey is worse than Mass- look again.

I understand the bigger over all number, but was looking at Mass bigger revenue per cap and % numbers which is bigger than Jersey. All still suck.

MA per capita revenue is $12,011.
    NJ per capita revenue is $12,564.
    Yes; both suck but Jersey can brag it's #2 on this list. 🤬

Edited by balthazar

17 hours ago, balthazar said:

Oh God- look at Jersey's numbers. Revenue per capita... why am I still here??

There's a lot more wealth in NJ also. It comes from being the bedroom state for NYC and Philly.

Out in the middle of Pennsyltucky or even here in the smoldering ruins of former steel towns, there's not much revenue to collect on a dilapidated mobile home.

I would rather stick with a body-on-frame pickup truck, much more rugged.  The Tacomas are nice.  They just seem to go on and on and on.  The SR5 Access Cab 4X4 V6 comes nicely equipped.

40 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

How easy would it be for Toyota to build a 4Runner EXT?

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

How easy would it be for Toyota to build a 4Runner EXT?

I imagine it would be relatively easy if they were into it.  I like the normal 4Runner, but the Limited looks so "tarted up", ugh.  The 4Runner in general sticks to a tried and true formula.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:31 PM, dfelt said:

Top 15 states in order of federal tax collections.

image.png

I wonder what the bottom 10 are...

On 4/28/2018 at 4:22 AM, balthazar said:

MA per capita revenue is $12,011.
    NJ per capita revenue is $12,564.
    Yes; both suck but Jersey can brag it's #2 on this list. 🤬

oops, yup overlooked that, totally sucks.

On 4/27/2018 at 7:31 PM, dfelt said:

Top 15 states in order of federal tax collections.

image.png

Yeah... sadly they have a massive economy out there. Aren't they in the top 10 in the world, just California?

It is an interesting list.. I've lived in 3 of the top 15, and there are a 1/2 dozen others in there I'd consider living in (some w/ strong tech economies).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Taking the place of the Toyota 86 this week at the Cheers & Gears' Detroit bureau is the 2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited. A car which I have been wanting to drive since it made its North American debut last spring at the New York Auto Show. The new model solves one of the biggest criticisms I had with the last-generation model, a very boring and plain design. Taking it out last night, I was noticing people glancing at this midsize sedan.
      Power comes from a turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder producing 180 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with an eight-speed automatic. The as-tested price is a surprising $34,465 considering what you get on this including Smart Park, 10.25-inch touchscreen, heads-up display, heated/cooled seats, and more.
      Some first impressions,
      Hyundai has provided an Android smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) so various writers can try the digital key, which allows a smartphone to take the place of the actual key. I haven't tried it in place of the key yet, but I'm having some confidence issues with it. Whenever I try to connect the phone with car from inside the house, it cannot find the vehicle. I know I'm within range - 10 meters or 32 feet. So far, I have been able to connect with the vehicle once. The interior in my Limited tester is very impressive. Handsome design, quality materials, and roomy. Fuel economy is one area I wasn't expecting to be this good - currently seeing around 33 mpg. I'll have more updates throughout the Sonata's stay, including Smart Park and Digital Key. In the meantime, drop your questions below.

Some first impressions,

A new brand will join under the Hyundai umbrella come next year. Dubbed Ioniq, this brand will focus on electric vehicles and launch their first model come 2021.
      That first model will be a midsize crossover called the Ioniq 5. Based on the 45 Concept first shown at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year, the 5 follows a different beat in terms of design from other Hyundai models with sharp lines and corners, narrow grille, and a interior that is very minimalist. Spy shots from earlier in the year showed that Hyundai is planning to make this into a production model, likely using an electric powertrain.

Next up is the 6 which again will base its design on another Hyundai concept. That concept is the Prophecy which appears to be a mashup of the Tesla Model S and Porsche Taycan. This model will appear in 2022. Rounding out the family is the Ioniq 7, a large SUV that will debut in 2024.
      All of the vehicles will utilize the upcoming Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), which promises "fast charging capability and plentiful driving range." Expect to see this platform used on other vehicles part of the Hyundai umbrella (Kia and Genesis).
      But what will this mean for the current Hyundai Ioniq (hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and electric)? According to the automaker, these models will keep the Ioniq name but have the addition of the powertrain type to it.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Hyundai Motor Announces IONIQ Brand Dedicated to EVs, Opening New Chapter for Customer-Centric EV Experiences
      Hyundai’s dedicated EV brand IONIQ embodies company’s smart mobility vision Company aims to offer connected lifestyle experience to customers with IONIQ brand models Hyundai will introduce three innovative IONIQ EV models over the next four years, starting early 2021 with IONIQ 5, a midsize EV CUV based on the concept ‘45’ IONIQ EV models will be built on the E-GMP platform IONIQ brand embodies Hyundai’s commitment to provide connected lifestyle solutions Hyundai celebrated the brand launch by turning the London Eye into a giant letter ‘Q’ with electric lights SEOUL, August 9, 2020 – Hyundai Motor Company today announced the launch of its new IONIQ brand dedicated to battery electric vehicles, opening a new chapter as a leader in the era of electrified mobility. Under the IONIQ brand, Hyundai will offer customer centric EV experiences centered on connected lifestyle solutions in line with Hyundai’s vision of ‘Progress for Humanity’.
      Under the IONIQ brand, Hyundai Motor will leverage its industry-leading manufacturing know-how in EVs to introduce three new dedicated models over the next four years with more innovative models to follow. The creation of IONIQ brand is in response to fast-growing market demand and accelerates Hyundai’s plan to lead the global EV market.
      To fulfill IONIQ’s brand mission, Hyundai will combine its current EV capabilities – such as ultra-fast charging, spacious interior, and battery-supplied power – with future innovations that combine design, technologies and services to integrate in-car and out-of-car experiences for a seamless journey.
      “The IONIQ brand will change the paradigm of EV customer experience,” said Wonhong Cho, Executive Vice President and Global Chief Marketing Officer at Hyundai Motor Company. “With a new emphasis on connected living, we will offer electrified experiences integral to an eco-friendly lifestyle.”
      Rebirth of IONIQ
      Hyundai first introduced the term IONIQ, which fuses “ion” and “unique”, when it announced Project IONIQ, a long-term research and development project focused on eco-friendly mobility. Based on the project, Hyundai in 2016 introduced a vehicle named IONIQ, the world’s first and only model to offer a choice of three electrified powertrain options – hybrid electric, plug-in hybrid and battery electric – within a single body type. Now, IONIQ represents Hyundai’s growing commitment to sustainability and innovation and will be instrumental in achieving the company’s clean mobility goals.
      IONIQ brand was conceived to fuse life changing mobility with environmental performance and has so far been instrumental in delivering progress electrified. IONIQ will continue to create a new balance in clean mobility synchronizing eco-products within an eco-system of lifestyle solutions bringing connected living to a new generation.
      IONIQ 5 / IONIQ 6 / IONIQ 7
      Hyundai will be launching a range of numerically named EVs under the new brand, with the even numbers used for sedans and the odd numbers for SUVs.
      The first model under the IONIQ brand will be the IONIQ 5 midsize CUV that will launch in early 2021. IONIQ 5 is based on the concept EV ‘45’, which Hyundai unveiled at the International Motor Show (IAA) 2019 in Frankfurt as a homage to its very first concept car. IONIQ 5’s designers took inspiration from the past and integrated it with cutting-edge parametric pixels, a unique design element that Hyundai designers will continue to incorporate into future IONIQ models.
      In 2022, Hyundai will introduce IONIQ 6 sedan, which is based on the company’s latest concept EV ‘Prophecy’, unveiled in March; followed by IONIQ 7, a large SUV in early 2024. Prophecy’s iconic exterior design is characterized by its aerodynamic silhouette of perfect proportions.
      Likewise, IONIQ vehicles’ designs will have a common theme of ‘Timeless Value’. The vehicles will be inspired by past models, but they will be a bridge to the future.
      E-GMP platform
      IONIQ brand models will sit on an Electric Global Modular Platform, known as E-GMP, that will enable fast charging capability and plentiful driving range.
      The EV-dedicated platform will allow Hyundai to reimagine the vehicle interior as “smart living space” with highly adjustable seats, wireless connectivity and unique features such as a glove box designed as drawers. The platform paradigm shift will extend into the user interfaces that will be simple, intuitive and ergonomically designed to help occupants feel at ease.
      Strategy 2025
      Hyundai Motor Group recently announced that the group aims to sell 1 million units of battery electric vehicles and take 10 percent share to become a leader in the global EV field by 2025.
      Under Strategy 2025, Hyundai Motor Company itself aims to become the world's third-largest automaker of eco-friendly vehicles by 2025, with 560,000 BEV sales in addition to FCEV sales.
      The launch of the IONIQ brand dedicated to EV models reinforces the company’s commitment to clean mobility and reflects its ongoing transformation as a Smart Mobility Solution Provider with zero-emissions solutions.

Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Rebirth of IONIQ
      IONIQ 5 / IONIQ 6 / IONIQ 7
      E-GMP platform
      Strategy 2025
      Nearly two years ago, I drove the then all-new Hyundai Kona crossover at a press event. It was a unique looking vehicle that was entering the growing subcompact crossover class. Out of the three Hyundai vehicles I drove, the Kona impressed me most with its performance and value for money. But if there is something I have learned over eight years with reviewing vehicles, is that I can’t take first impressions as final. It has been a long wait, but I finally got my hands on a 2020 Kona Ultimate AWD. Let’s see if my first impression can still hold up.
      The Outer Limits (of Exterior Design)
      You may be forgiven for thinking that the Kona has just arrived in a UFO from Planet Nine due to its shape. But Hyundai knew they needed to make a splash in what is becoming a very competitive class. Designers took some influence from the Jeep Cherokee with a rounded front end and the front lights being separated into daytime lights and headlights. Another design trait is the slit that sits between the grille and hood cutline. Finishing off the look is body cladding running along the lower edge and a bright green paint color only available on the turbo engine models. It may seem like an odd mashup of ideas, but it works surprisingly well.
      A Conventional Interior
      Some will be disappointed that Hyundai didn’t continue the wacky design for the Kona’s interior. But having an interior that is user friendly will always pull ahead of interesting design. That isn’t to say Hyundai hasn’t added some special touches such as vent surrounds and seat stitching matching the exterior color. Hard plastics are used throughout, but they don’t feel hollow or cheap when you run your hand across.
      There is a fair amount of space for those sitting upfront. Comfort is ok for short trips, but I found myself wanting more thigh support on longer trips. In the back, there is a large amount of headroom for most passengers. Legroom is a different story as tall people will find their knees pressed against the front seats. Cargo space is another area where the Kona is lacking. With the rear seats up, the Kona’s cargo area measures 19.2 cubic feet - about 0.1 cubic feet more than the Toyota C-HR. Fold them down and space increases to 45.8. This trails the likes of the Chevrolet Trax, Nissan Kicks, and Honda HR-V.
      The One To Still Be Beaten (Infotainment-wise)
      The Kona Ultimate comes equipped with an eight-inch touchscreen featuring Hyundai’s infotainment system. This system has consistently been one of my favorites as Hyundai nails the basics - simple interface, blazing-fast performance, and having features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. My only complaint is that the design is starting to look dated when compared to other automakers and their updated infotainment.
      Turbo Power!
      Two powertrains are available in the Kona. SE, SEL, and SEL Plus use the 2.0L four-cylinder offering 147 horsepower and 132 pound-feet of torque. It’s paired with a six-speed automatic. Limited and Ultimate come with the turbocharged 1.6L four producing 175 horsepower and 195 pound-feet. This is paired with a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Front or all-wheel drive is available for either engine.
      Zippy is the word to describe the performance of the turbo engine. The Kona easily accelerates away from a stop and has no issue with passing a slower vehicle. The dual-clutch transmission seems to stumble when leaving a stop, but does get itself together at higher speeds. I also found the transmission is slow to react when your floor the throttle, taking a few milliseconds to downshift.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 1.6T with AWD are 26 City/29 Highway/27 Combined. My average for the week landed around 26.7 mpg, mostly due to cold weather during the week I had the Kona.
      Woah, This Crossover Handles
      If you wanted a subcompact crossover that handled decently, your choices were either the Mazda CX-3 or Toyota C-HR. The Kona enters the ring as the third choice, and possibly the best. On the backroads, the Kona feels quite agile and has almost no body roll. If I was to nitpick, the steering doesn’t have as much feel as you’ll find in the CX-3. But it feels noticeably better than the C-HR. Ride quality is impressive with most bumps being isolated from passengers sitting inside. Not too much wind and road noise come inside.
      Possibly the Best Subcompact Crossover At the Moment
      Hyundai has a very compelling package in the Kona. There is an excellent performance from the turbocharged engine, impressive driving dynamics, easy to use infotainment system, and a long list of standard equipment. There are some drawbacks with the small cargo area and rear legroom topping the list. If you need the space, a Honda HR-V would be my first pick. The dual-clutch transmission still needs a bit more work to iron out the hesitation issues I experienced.
      That first impression I had still stands and moves the Kona not only being the best in the class at the moment, but also onto a very rarefied list; a vehicle I would considering buying.
      How I Would Configure A Kona: The only reason I see buying the Ultimate is for the adaptive cruise control as most of the other safety equipment such as blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, and forward collision avoidance are available on other models. So if I wanted the Turbo engine, then I would step down to the Limited at $26,100. For those who think that is a tad expensive still should consider the SEL Plus as it comes very well equipped for $23,950. You do sacrifice the turbo engine for the 2.0L four-cylinder which is fine if your planning to drive mostly around town. Add an additional $1,400 for all-wheel drive.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Kona, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2020
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Kona
      Trim: Ultimate
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC 16-Valve GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Seven-Speed Dual-Clutch, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 175 @ 5,500
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 - 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/29/27
      Curb Weight: 3,276 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $29,150
      As Tested Price: $ 30,380 (Includes $1,095.00 Destination Charge)
      Options: