2020 Toyota Supra Finally is Revealed Sans Camo

Finally, we get to see the actual car!

It has been a long time coming, but finally, we have gotten our first look at the upcoming 2020 Toyota Supra. The SupraMKV forums obtained a photo of the upcoming sports car in a transporter with most of the car cover removed from it.

Comparing this photo with the FT-1 concept from a few years back, Toyota's designers toned down the front end. The nose isn't as pointy and the bumper has three large intakes - not two like the concept. It also appears the bubble roof has carried over onto the production model.

As we reported back in June, the Supra will come with two engines from BMW; the 2.0L turbo-four (265 horsepower) and 3.0L twin-turbo inline-six (335 horsepower). This will be paired with an eight-speed automatic.

Toyota will be revealing the Supra next month at the Detroit Auto Show. In the meantime, we have pictures of the FT-1 Concept, a camouflaged Supra prototype, and the production model for your perusal.

Source: SupraMKV.com
    Pic Credit: SupraMKV.com

New-2020-Toyota-Supra-Leak.jpg

TOYOTA_FT1_Exterior_010.jpg

Supra-A90-8hr.jpg

Concept looks much wider than production. Did a nice job keeping it close to the concept, but the concept is what I want, not the production system.

This looks really good. A real part of me would choose this over a Challenger Mustang or Camaro as I really am getting into more modern automotive styling. Good job Toyota!

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

You are not an Import sports car kind of guy though.

I dunno... I'm sure the BMW will at least whelm me.

It has a bit of a Mazda RX-8 look to it.  I am not impressed by this car because I know it will be over priced.  You can get a 3-series with these engines for $40k on the 4 cylinder and $50k on the six cylinder and the 3-Series is a much more luxurious car.  They’ll probably price the Supra in the same territory when it should be priced like a Mustang.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I am not impressed by this car because I know it will be over priced.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

If the market will bear it it isn't over priced. That two million dollar Hemi Cuda convertible at Barrett Jackson has reached the same market equilibrium pricing.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

I love pre war Bentlys and ratty RX 7s.  One is worth a Kings ransom and one is worth a Burger King meal combo. Both have merit.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

So what...it is a cool car.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

No I don't, I like good cars.  I doubt the Supra is all that fast compared to what they will charge for it.  Maybe I am wrong but I feel like they will over price it.  The Z4 has 255 hp for $50k, so that is the base Supra engine, they'll probably want $40k for that.  The I-6 makes 382 hp in the BMW Z4 for $65k, I wouldn't be surprised if that is detuned in the Supra, even if the same, they'll want $55k for that car.

We'll see when the final car comes out and they price it, but I feel like Toyota will want Lexus money for this thing.  And those few hard core fans will buy it, and in 4 years they'll kill it due to poor sales.

46 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

So what...it is a cool car.

It won't be cool when a 255 hp Supra costs the same as a 420 hp V8 Mustang.  Nor will it be cool when an inline 6 Supra costs as much as a C43 AMG coupe.

Nothing saying that Toyota does not have a superior Tuned performance motor that gives more than what BMW is offering due to the nature of this performance car.

It could be a $65K sports car with 450 or 500 HP in that I6. Remember very easy to take the base motor and change out the Turbo's as you know.

Just now, dfelt said:

No way will BMW let them offer more horsepower than they do.  That engine will most likely be a direct rip from the M340i and Z4 40i.  The 0-60 estimate for the Supra is 4.5 seconds with the 6 cylinder.

And it won't have 400 or 500 hp because Toyota/Lexus don't do horsepower and torque.  Their most powerful sports car the LC500 has 471 hp and 398 lb-ft of torque. These guys are not capable of doing a performance car, that is why BMW made it for them, and BMW is going to give them exactly what is under the Z4's sheetmetal with a cheaper interior.  And BMW can't beat Porsche or AMG at anything, so how will this Supra beat a Corvette, because it going to cost base Corvette or Camaro ZL1 money.

d59f0264-mercedes-amg-glc-63-s-4matic-nu

☝️ This SUV gets round the Nurburgring faster than this 👇:

2018-BMW-M2-Competition-front.jpg

And that is the M2 Competition which is sooped up above what the Z4/Supra have.  If the Supra loses to an SUV on the Nurburgring, I have a hard time getting excited about it as an awesome sports car.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Yet Toyota has come out saying they need to take more risk and get more aggresive as we have seen in their newer body style's and offering TRD on car lines they never did before. So who says that after making an agreement with BMW for the bones to build the Super that they cannot go with bigger turbo's, etc. to dial it in.

Ya never know, till they release detailed info, it is all speculation.

There is always a bigger bat, bigger man, etc. that does knock the king of his thrown. Ya just never know when it will show up.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

"Supra loses on Nurburgring" = car not worth building. 🤣

Wonder how a stock B59 would do on the ring?

But yes....for the Supra to do seven minutes dead flat on the ring they would be charging a million bucks a copy.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Wonder how a stock B59 would do on the ring?

Horrible, of course. Built to float.

marshmellow.png

Watching the 'NASCAR car on Nurburgring' linked elsewhere and it's interesting- my B-59 (decidedly not stock) shares similar specs, it'll be heavier by a lot/will have more HP/TRQ, but the ladder bars/Panhard bar, posi, adjustable coil overs and 315/60-15 drag radials should keep it planted pretty well. Has lowered HD coils up front (don't have the front shocks yet), quicker steering, plus the body shell was reinforced. It would be interesting to take it on a track, I'd do that.

Edited by balthazar

Horrible, of course. Built to float.

marshmellow.png

Cornering at 25 mph?  Passengers would be screaming in terror sliding across the bench seats...I would guess the one you are building will corner much better..

Back on topic---

The nose of the new Supra seems inspired by F1 car nose cones and air dams from a few years ago, seems dated now considering Toyota is no longer in F1.

Edited by Robert Hall

Horrible, of course. Built to float.

marshmellow.png

I would hate to see you stuff it into a wall on track, bad things happen to race cars on track.

One of the most painful moments from my days as a flagger at Mid Ohio, which I discussed here several years ago...was watching a vintage Shelby Mustang and one of the Monte Carlo SS's that Dale Earnhardt drove to his championship come together hard and go into a retaining wall.  Both cars were rebuilt....but that was painful to watch.

Not that you lack chops as a driver per se.

On the other hand, tired of performance cars that only get driven to car shows.

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Back on topic---

It still looks better than most (if not all) modern cars though.

Back to the Supra, I like it. Maybe not absolute love or lust, but like.

Giving myself the freedom to like what I like is making me feel better as an enthusiast.  I am a small sporty car kind of a guy, even though I like vintage and vintage Muscle. Civic Si/R/GTI/WRX/BRZ/Cooper S/ST/RS kind of a guy when it comes to new cars.

Cars like the 370Z and the Supra have enough of that DNA to make me happy.

Edited to add...both Civic Type R and Golf R under the R label, please.

9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

d59f0264-mercedes-amg-glc-63-s-4matic-nu

☝️ This SUV gets round the Nurburgring faster than this 👇:

2018-BMW-M2-Competition-front.jpg

See...for me here the real win is styling. And I actually find myself liking the Benz more than the BMW. Plus I trust Benz engineering more than I do BMW.  So I would upvote the Benz of the two, but not strictly on performance.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

If the red car pictured above is the Supra, I kinda like it. If it's the grey job; meh.

Red car is concept, grey is actual production. And yes, my oldest son, who is a huge Toyota fan, would agree with you.

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Back on topic---

I wish Toyota was in Formula 1 so Mercedes could beat them.  😃  And it would be nice to have another team with big money funding in there.

Ya never know, till they release detailed info, it is all speculation.

But the TRD cars have no power upgrade, and BMW is not going to let Toyota modify their engine.  Toyota would have to use their own engine, and the LS500's turbo V6 is the only thing they could use and who knows if it even fits.  Plus that would add even more manufacturing cost, because I'd assume those Lexus engines are made in Japan, and it would have to be shipped to Germany or wherever the Supra and Z4 are built.

I agree that it is all speculation.  But my prediction is a 382 hp car for $65,000.  Which is Corvette, Camaro ZL1 or Shelby GT350 type money.  And will the Supra be better than those cars?   Or better than a BMW 4-series or C43 AMG coupe?

Today saw the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport being swapped for this 2020 Volvo S60 T5 Momentum. This base model comes very well equipped with a LED headlights, panoramic sunroof, 10-way power seats12.3-inch display for the instrument cluster, and a 9-inch infotainment system. But this particular vehicle is loaded with over $9,000 in options including metallic paint, 19-inch wheels, adaptive cruise control, Harman/Kardon audio system, and power trunk lid. This brings the price to $46,240 with destination - base being $36,050.
      Power comes from a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder with 250 horsepower, paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission.
      I'll be updating this piece later in the day with some first drive impressions and I only briefly drove it around my work's parking lot to grab some pictures. In the meantime, start dropping off your questions.
      UPDATE: As promised (albeit slightly late), some more first impressions of the S60.
      The T5 engine is a surprisingly punchy engine, providing rapid power when driving on the freeway or exiting a turn. But the downside is noticeable turbo lag when leaving a stop - something I noted in my XC40 review. Volvo Sensus and my iPhone 7 Plus aren't seeming getting along at the moment. When I first plugged my phone in, the system recognized it and brought up the button to launch Apple CarPlay. But I couldn't bring up the CarPlay interface as the button did nothing. I had to unplug and plug the phone back in before it worked. One more issue concerning CarPlay. Some apps only bring up a blank screen when first opened. I would close them and relaunch to bring them to back to regular status. I can't explain whether this is due to me still running an older version of the OS or something with the car. To answer @regfootball comment on the space, this feels slightly larger than the outgoing S60. In the back, I have slightly more legroom than the previous models I have driven. Headroom is still tight, partly due to the optional panoramic sunroof. Volvo still hasn't solved getting in and out of the back as it still feels like a tight squeeze, even though the rear doors do have a wider opening.

• By Drew Dowdell
      According to the Rumorpile, Toyota is working on bringing back the Venza, a car that went out of production after 2015. The original Venza did not sell very well, partially due to its wagon-like shape and also relatively high pricing.  It also lacked any off-road pretense that typically comes with a crossover.
      The problem for Toyota is that there is a large Venza sized gap in their SUV lineup between the RAV-4 and Highlander. This time around, the Venza would ditch the wagon looks and instead be a true crossover along the lines of the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Honda Passport, and Ford Edge. There is a possibility that the Venza would come in only hybrid form using the same 2.5-liter setup with rear electric motor that the Highlander uses.
      If the rumors prove true, you could see a new Venza hit the auto show circuit as early as 2021.

• By Drew Dowdell
      This week marks my first review vehicle for 2020 - the Lexus UX 200 F-Sport. This one comes equipped with such items as F-Sport exterior package, 18-inch wheels, Lexus Enform with Apple CarPlay  compatibility;  Wi-Fi connectivity, and a 10-way power driver's seat. Options on this vehicle include blind spot monitoring, heated front seats, heated steering wheel, heads-up display, navigation, and a windhield de-icer - the last one being quite important as we had an ice storm roll through last night.
      Power comes from a 2.0L DOHC four-cylinder with 169 horsepower. This is likely the same engine I had in my 2019 Toyota Corolla SE hatchback I reviewed last month. This is paired with a CVT and front-wheel drive. Disappointingly, Lexus isn't offering all-wheel drive on the UX 200. To get that, you need to climb up the UX 250h.
      For the day and a half I had the UX, I found to be quite nippy around town. Though on the freeway, the engine becomes quite buzzy and you do need to step on it to get some forward momentum. It is also surprising how maneuverable the vehicle is. I was able to snatch a narrow parking space at a popular restaurant with no issue.
      The price-tag on this tester is $42,285 with destination. This surprised me considering how much stuff this vehicle is equipped with.
      So while I put some more miles on and grab some photos, drop off any questions you have for Lexus' smallest crossover.

1. ichbinjohnk