2020 Toyota Supra Finally is Revealed Sans Camo

Finally, we get to see the actual car!

It has been a long time coming, but finally, we have gotten our first look at the upcoming 2020 Toyota Supra. The SupraMKV forums obtained a photo of the upcoming sports car in a transporter with most of the car cover removed from it.

Comparing this photo with the FT-1 concept from a few years back, Toyota's designers toned down the front end. The nose isn't as pointy and the bumper has three large intakes - not two like the concept. It also appears the bubble roof has carried over onto the production model.

As we reported back in June, the Supra will come with two engines from BMW; the 2.0L turbo-four (265 horsepower) and 3.0L twin-turbo inline-six (335 horsepower). This will be paired with an eight-speed automatic.

Toyota will be revealing the Supra next month at the Detroit Auto Show. In the meantime, we have pictures of the FT-1 Concept, a camouflaged Supra prototype, and the production model for your perusal.

Source: SupraMKV.com
    Pic Credit: SupraMKV.com

New-2020-Toyota-Supra-Leak.jpg

TOYOTA_FT1_Exterior_010.jpg

Supra-A90-8hr.jpg

Concept looks much wider than production. Did a nice job keeping it close to the concept, but the concept is what I want, not the production system.

This looks really good. A real part of me would choose this over a Challenger Mustang or Camaro as I really am getting into more modern automotive styling. Good job Toyota!

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

You are not an Import sports car kind of guy though.

I dunno... I'm sure the BMW will at least whelm me.

It has a bit of a Mazda RX-8 look to it.  I am not impressed by this car because I know it will be over priced.  You can get a 3-series with these engines for $40k on the 4 cylinder and $50k on the six cylinder and the 3-Series is a much more luxurious car.  They’ll probably price the Supra in the same territory when it should be priced like a Mustang.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I am not impressed by this car because I know it will be over priced.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

If the market will bear it it isn't over priced. That two million dollar Hemi Cuda convertible at Barrett Jackson has reached the same market equilibrium pricing.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

I love pre war Bentlys and ratty RX 7s.  One is worth a Kings ransom and one is worth a Burger King meal combo. Both have merit.

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

So what...it is a cool car.

But you LOVE overpriced cars.

No I don't, I like good cars.  I doubt the Supra is all that fast compared to what they will charge for it.  Maybe I am wrong but I feel like they will over price it.  The Z4 has 255 hp for $50k, so that is the base Supra engine, they'll probably want $40k for that.  The I-6 makes 382 hp in the BMW Z4 for $65k, I wouldn't be surprised if that is detuned in the Supra, even if the same, they'll want $55k for that car.

We'll see when the final car comes out and they price it, but I feel like Toyota will want Lexus money for this thing.  And those few hard core fans will buy it, and in 4 years they'll kill it due to poor sales.

46 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

So what...it is a cool car.

It won't be cool when a 255 hp Supra costs the same as a 420 hp V8 Mustang.  Nor will it be cool when an inline 6 Supra costs as much as a C43 AMG coupe.

Nothing saying that Toyota does not have a superior Tuned performance motor that gives more than what BMW is offering due to the nature of this performance car.

It could be a $65K sports car with 450 or 500 HP in that I6. Remember very easy to take the base motor and change out the Turbo's as you know.

Just now, dfelt said:

No way will BMW let them offer more horsepower than they do.  That engine will most likely be a direct rip from the M340i and Z4 40i.  The 0-60 estimate for the Supra is 4.5 seconds with the 6 cylinder.

And it won't have 400 or 500 hp because Toyota/Lexus don't do horsepower and torque.  Their most powerful sports car the LC500 has 471 hp and 398 lb-ft of torque. These guys are not capable of doing a performance car, that is why BMW made it for them, and BMW is going to give them exactly what is under the Z4's sheetmetal with a cheaper interior.  And BMW can't beat Porsche or AMG at anything, so how will this Supra beat a Corvette, because it going to cost base Corvette or Camaro ZL1 money.

d59f0264-mercedes-amg-glc-63-s-4matic-nu

☝️ This SUV gets round the Nurburgring faster than this 👇:

2018-BMW-M2-Competition-front.jpg

And that is the M2 Competition which is sooped up above what the Z4/Supra have.  If the Supra loses to an SUV on the Nurburgring, I have a hard time getting excited about it as an awesome sports car.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Yet Toyota has come out saying they need to take more risk and get more aggresive as we have seen in their newer body style's and offering TRD on car lines they never did before. So who says that after making an agreement with BMW for the bones to build the Super that they cannot go with bigger turbo's, etc. to dial it in.

Ya never know, till they release detailed info, it is all speculation.

There is always a bigger bat, bigger man, etc. that does knock the king of his thrown. Ya just never know when it will show up.

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

"Supra loses on Nurburgring" = car not worth building. 🤣

Wonder how a stock B59 would do on the ring?

But yes....for the Supra to do seven minutes dead flat on the ring they would be charging a million bucks a copy.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Wonder how a stock B59 would do on the ring?

Horrible, of course. Built to float.

marshmellow.png

Watching the 'NASCAR car on Nurburgring' linked elsewhere and it's interesting- my B-59 (decidedly not stock) shares similar specs, it'll be heavier by a lot/will have more HP/TRQ, but the ladder bars/Panhard bar, posi, adjustable coil overs and 315/60-15 drag radials should keep it planted pretty well. Has lowered HD coils up front (don't have the front shocks yet), quicker steering, plus the body shell was reinforced. It would be interesting to take it on a track, I'd do that.

Edited by balthazar

Horrible, of course. Built to float.

marshmellow.png

Cornering at 25 mph?  Passengers would be screaming in terror sliding across the bench seats...I would guess the one you are building will corner much better..

Back on topic---

The nose of the new Supra seems inspired by F1 car nose cones and air dams from a few years ago, seems dated now considering Toyota is no longer in F1.

Edited by Robert Hall

Horrible, of course. Built to float.

marshmellow.png

I would hate to see you stuff it into a wall on track, bad things happen to race cars on track.

One of the most painful moments from my days as a flagger at Mid Ohio, which I discussed here several years ago...was watching a vintage Shelby Mustang and one of the Monte Carlo SS's that Dale Earnhardt drove to his championship come together hard and go into a retaining wall.  Both cars were rebuilt....but that was painful to watch.

Not that you lack chops as a driver per se.

On the other hand, tired of performance cars that only get driven to car shows.

11 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Back on topic---

It still looks better than most (if not all) modern cars though.

Back to the Supra, I like it. Maybe not absolute love or lust, but like.

Giving myself the freedom to like what I like is making me feel better as an enthusiast.  I am a small sporty car kind of a guy, even though I like vintage and vintage Muscle. Civic Si/R/GTI/WRX/BRZ/Cooper S/ST/RS kind of a guy when it comes to new cars.

Cars like the 370Z and the Supra have enough of that DNA to make me happy.

Edited to add...both Civic Type R and Golf R under the R label, please.

9 hours ago, smk4565 said:

d59f0264-mercedes-amg-glc-63-s-4matic-nu

☝️ This SUV gets round the Nurburgring faster than this 👇:

2018-BMW-M2-Competition-front.jpg

See...for me here the real win is styling. And I actually find myself liking the Benz more than the BMW. Plus I trust Benz engineering more than I do BMW.  So I would upvote the Benz of the two, but not strictly on performance.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

If the red car pictured above is the Supra, I kinda like it. If it's the grey job; meh.

Red car is concept, grey is actual production. And yes, my oldest son, who is a huge Toyota fan, would agree with you.

33 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Back on topic---

I wish Toyota was in Formula 1 so Mercedes could beat them.  😃  And it would be nice to have another team with big money funding in there.

Ya never know, till they release detailed info, it is all speculation.

But the TRD cars have no power upgrade, and BMW is not going to let Toyota modify their engine.  Toyota would have to use their own engine, and the LS500's turbo V6 is the only thing they could use and who knows if it even fits.  Plus that would add even more manufacturing cost, because I'd assume those Lexus engines are made in Japan, and it would have to be shipped to Germany or wherever the Supra and Z4 are built.

I agree that it is all speculation.  But my prediction is a 382 hp car for $65,000.  Which is Corvette, Camaro ZL1 or Shelby GT350 type money.  And will the Supra be better than those cars?   Or better than a BMW 4-series or C43 AMG coupe?

• By Drew Dowdell
      Toyota announced today that the Toyota Avalon and Camry would be getting an all-wheel drive option. It's the first time the Camry has offered all-wheel drive since 1991 and the first ever for Avalon.  AWD will be available as a standalone option on Camry LE, XLE, SE, and XSE trims and on the Avalon XLE and Limited trims.
      In both models, the car is powered by a 202 horsepower 2.5-liter 4-cylinder and an 8-speed automatic. Camry XSE AWD and both Avalon AWD trims get 205hp with their dual exhaust.
      The AWD system is borrowed from the Toyota RAV-4 and is called Dynamic Torque Control AWD. It is designed to help with traction in slippery weather but not drag down fuel economy when the weather is clear. The AWD system can direct up to 50 percent of the torque to the rear wheels.  When AWD isn't needed, the system can disengage the drive shaft from the differential to lessen the drag on fuel efficiency.
      Neither of these cars was originally planned to have AWD, but given the flexibility of the TNGA architecture they and the RAV4 all ride on, Toyota's R&D department in Saline Michigan was able to modify the cars for this new option.  The body of the Camry and Avalon was combined with the drivetrain of the RAV-4. Floor structure modifications were required, plus the use of an electronic parking brake.  The gas tank was modified, and despite of the addition of a rear differential, the trunk floor height remains the same.  The addition of AWD adds 165lbs to the Camry while the Avalon's weight remains the about the same as the FWD V6 model.
      Camry AWD will be arriving for model year 2020, while Avalon AWD arrives in 2021.

• By Drew Dowdell
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The current generation Toyota Mirai has never been a "looker". It seemed like some sort of Prius with a glandular problem.  Toyota hopes to change that and make the fuel cell vehicle sexy with the new 2021 Toyota Mirai Sedan Concept.
      The new concept sits on a rear-wheel drive platform and sports an new, more powerful fuel cell powertrain.  Toyota claims a 30-percent increase in driving range with increased hydrogen capacity.
      Most importantly thought, Toyota un-weirded the Mirai so that it now looks like something that might sit in a Lexus showroom rather than Toyota.
      The next generation Toyota Mirai will go on sale in late 2020.

• By Drew Dowdell
      The next generation Toyota Mirai will go on sale in late 2020.

• It still sucks, but I think you will come out much better in the next place you decide to go. Market for the most part is still solid, so I know you will find a new place quick, if not before the other place ends! I was bummed when I got laid off from my automotive job- but besides missing the cars, I find this one more fun. Reminds me to update my resume-though I kinda shy from it. I updated my Monster account, and the calls just won’t stop..... 😮
    • The Jalopnik link makes a mistake in expressing an opinion that GM/Chevy had Tesla in their sites. Had Tesla products as a benchmark... The only thing I gather Chevy/GM had on benchmarking Telsa was the price point in which the Bolt was to be sold at as compared to the Model 3.  From the EV1, all the way to Volt gen 1 and 2, the Cadillac ELR, and then the  Bolt to the mild hybrid stuff on Malibus and Tahoes,  nothing suggests that GM ever wanted to do performance oriented EVs.  And GM could do a performance oriented EV if they chose to do so.  They took a different market approach.  Tesla has found that sweet spot. It does not mean that GM's approach is wrong vis-a-vis Tesla's approach. It just means that GM's approach and its choice of its product's packaging may be at fault... The Cadillac ELR was a 2 door personal luxury coupe econobox with an econobox derived Chevrolet version of its EV. And it also used the Chevrolet Volt's 1st generation tech instead of the 2nd generation tech, in an era when small, 2 door coupes dont sell. In an era when SUVs sell like mad. In an era when Tesla and Fisker were selling sexy body styled sedans and the Tesla was and still is eons ahead in  marketing, styling and dare I say in EV technology in some key tech areas... The Bolt does not fail as an EV product. It fails on its intended mission as an EV product. Not in terms of it not being a capable EV, but it failing of it not being capable of delivering the marketing message that its supposedly sold upon. Packaging. And also, GM does not put full faith in that marketing message either...and so the marketing is also downplayed... The Mustang Mach-E will only eat its lunch if EV buyers buy into a  1. Mustang EV 2. A Ford EV capable of being a good Tesla product equal I think point 1 wont be a problem. But point 2 might very well be. Some EV people have a strong bias against ICE makers and will NEVER take Ford, GM, VW, Nissan, etc, seriously and the Mach-E, as good as it seems on paper, does not have a chance and is DOA...
    • LOL Listen.  American cars is what I love. From the 1900s to today.  But I'd like to try and learn about  cars from different countries and from their different eras too.   Car craziness and car culture is strong in America, but it aint strictly an American thing. The automobile has defined America and its culture and we revolve our modern lives around it more than any other culture, but there is a car culture elsewhere other than North America. And if it wasnt for 2 devastating world wars in Europe where the automobile was starting to get a grip on life here as well as in Europe, the automobile in Europe would have had the same influence as in America.  But like everything else in nature, the environment influences the surroundings and the same entity evolves differently and at a different pace as the next.  I love to learn about different car cultures around the globe and how the car has influenced that society and how it evolved differently from ours. And from all that,  I learned that car enthusiasts around the world are the same, but have a different take on the performance car than what we have. And from an enthusiast point of view, for which I am, I enjoy enthusiast cars.  And I want to appreciate that.  I have learned that I actually do enjoy European racing cars of the 1920s and 1930s.  Or the rivalry that Ferruccio had with Enzo that produced those slick Italian cars of the 1960s and 1970s from both companies.  I enjoy the French quirkiness and I enjoy an Alpina race to which Renault paid a tribute to just a couple of years ago, kinda like what Ford did with the Ford GT in 2005.  I actually like that Renault/Alpina. Its a cool little sports car.  The Japanese car culture thing is whack. Most of it just seems weird to me. But I definitely like the American influence on their sports cars (which also had a slight Euro touch to them too) which in turn begat a pure Japanese sports car scene.  I get the question marks.  I do not like the shyteboxes that Europe has produced. But then again, I dont like the shyteboxes that Detroit has produced over the years also. But, I do prefer Detroit shyte over Europe's though. And I feel like  what Jay Leno has over other car "influencers" is that he has a certain bias towards cars that I find interesting and I gravitate towards his influence over others.
    • ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    • Papa Smurf Mobile!