New Tag Line

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit

I dunno; kinda reminds me of another 'dangler': The Power of And {that was it, right?} I don't find grammatically incorrect taglines/prose appealing; I keep trying to finish it in my mind. It can work, but it would depend heavily on the visual/context. Frankly, I wasn't tired of Break Through yet.

Pretty darn forgettable. Not as bad as Buick's "It's all good" but definitely not a "Break Through." Also, another smug move from Modernista, whose previous Hummer "Monster" ad that was not too popular with those in the ad community (beware the PR spin!). I was skeptical before about Modernista picking up this still-fragile account, and this decidely un-creative tagline does not dilute my skepticism.

And that resurrected script does not have really positive connotations with Cadillac's target market...not the best move IMO.

Cadillac: 'Life, Liberty, Pursuit'

Brand hopes new ads will create buzz that lures younger buyers and luxury import owners.

Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

Say goodbye to Led Zeppelin, celebrity voice-overs and speeding silver cars. Cadillac has a new advertising campaign.

Unveiled Wednesday, it carries the theme "Life. Liberty. And The Pursuit." and signals a new approach to growing General Motors Corp's top luxury brand after a recent turnaround at the division.

The new ads seek to broaden Cadillac's appeal among younger buyers, import drivers and other target groups, and will try to reestablish the gold-standard image that once defined the historic marque.

Launching early next month, the new ads replace a 3-year-old campaign that featured the Led Zeppelin song "Rock and Roll," narration by actor Gary Sinise and a revamped model lineup that was meant to mark a sharp break from the faltering Cadillac of the 1980s and '90s.

Now that the brand is healthy again, Cadillac wants to move out of comeback mode and into attack position.

"We have raised awareness and achieved good momentum with the Cadillac brand," said Liz Vanzura, Cadillac's global marketing director. "But now it's time to put a face on the brand and invite more consumers to experience what Cadillac has to offer."

Since the launch of a 2001 turnaround plan, Cadillac has posted four years of consecutive sales gains, more than doubled its model lineup, improved quality scores and lowered the average age of Cadillac buyers by five years to 59.

Altering negative perceptions

But the brand still faces tough competition from foreign and domestic automakers, which are expanding offerings in the highly-profitable luxury category. And it will continue to fight negative perceptions formed during years when quality was lackluster and its vehicle lineup uninspiring.

"When you think of Cadillac now, you probably still think of it as a big, gas-guzzling car," said Eric Smallwood, vice president of Front Row Marketing in Port Huron. Cadillac's central challenge, he said, remains to convince carbuyers that's no longer the case.

Through June, Cadillac sales were down 9 percent, and its U.S. market share slipped to 1.3 percent, down from 1.4 percent a year ago, according to Autodata Corp.

Ads target five key groups

The outgoing "Break Through" campaign helped put Cadillac back on many shopping lists by highlighting the new, chiseled look of Cadillac models and trumpeting vehicle attributes.

But the goal of the new ads is to make the brand more inviting so customers are drawn to the cars and trucks as much for emotional reasons as rational ones.

"Our mission is to reignite a love affair with Cadillac," said Kevin Smith, a spokesman for the brand.

To make the brand more approachable, Cadillac will put people back in print and TV ads and use different voices and music. By contrast, the previous campaign used the same song and celebrity pitchman from the time it launched at the 2002 Super Bowl.

The new ads will be broadly aimed at customers Cadillac officials call "perpetual strivers," who fall into five groups: the young and ambitious "Move Up's;" the discerning "Alpha's;" the image-conscious "Hot Moms;" the import-driving Boomers; and the graying loyalists.

The campaign also will put greater focus on the brand's wreath and crest logo, which has been updated with two shimmer points to make it look 3-D and jewel-like. The famous insignia will appear, without words, at the close of TV ads. And when Cadillac writes its brand name in print ads or elsewhere, it will now use a classic cursive script that recalls its heritage.

New ad firm takes over

The new campaign is the work of Boston-based advertising firm Modernista!, which in June took over the Cadillac account from Leo Burnett, a firm that under different names had controlled the business for more than 70 years.

The move came shortly after Liz Vanzura, who had worked with Modernista! when she was marketing chief at GM's Hummer, arrived at Cadillac this spring.

But Cadillac officials say they recognized that a change was needed in the brand's advertising months before Vanzura joined the team. Concerned that complacency could sap the brand's momentum, Cadillac's leaders began meeting last fall to discuss ways to infuse new energy into marketing, Smith said.

"They said, 'Now's the time to look at what we can do next,'" he said

Don't forget:

"Cadillac Style"

And my favorite for the Allante' intro:

"It's a New Cadillac"

all this from the company that brought you

"Two Big Doors" for the G Body Riveria.

Absurd:

But I will give GM the benefit of the doubt and hope the ads are more in line with "Moments".

"Our mission is to reignite a love affair with Cadillac," said Kevin Smith, a spokesman for the brand.

Edited by evok

Guest YellowJacket894

These photos belong in a damn Izod catalog.

Posted Image

Footnote: Hey, what the hell are they driving? :unsure::scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I'll agree, they do look similar, but Jaguars "gorgeous" campaign, was just STUPID! :banghead:

AND, wtf was with the HUGE G? Okay great we get it, gorgeous starts with a G, but Jaguar doesn't, should JAGUAR being in big letters somewhere?

Gorgeous doesn't care, Gorgeous stays out late, Gorgeous does crack.

At least the other pics/ads for Cadillac are cool and send a message MOST consumers can relate to.

Edited by jbartley

I'll agree, they do look similar, but Jaguars "gorgeous" campaign, was just STUPID! :banghead:

AND, wtf was with the HUGE G? Okay great we get it, gorgeous starts with a G, but Jaguar doesn't, should JAGUAR being in big letters somewhere?

Gorgeous doesn't care, Gorgeous stays out late, Gorgeous does crack.

At least the other pics/ads for Cadillac are cool and send a message MOST consumers can relate to.

172162[/snapback]

Yeah. Gorgeous loves pathetic.

The visual effects are great, though.

Posted Image

172142[/snapback]

This is a joke, right? What a f@#king horrible ad.

DTS

Thin door mounted locks

trim piece along upper door

4-spoke steering wheel

172142[/snapback]

A good car ad shouldn't require one of us to decipher what car they're showing. The bridge one at least something related to the road...?

If I wanted to see what a bridge looks like, I'd drive across one. If I wanted to see what a metrosexual looked like, I'd go to the Channelside District. I want to see the freakin' car.

lol... and where are they driving through? look at the reflection on the back of the mirror looks like they are going through a construction yard...

terrible ad...

They say they want to start the love afair back up again... Why not just say that...

M-Benz in California "Around here you've gotta love what you drive"

Cadillac I'm in love with the CTS already, and if i didnt know there was a next gen right around the corner i might go get a cts...

Nuff said:

http://www.darnellworks.com/rps/cadillac.html

172196[/snapback]

what cars are those in the comercial...?

there was what seemed like the next generation XLR and possibly next gen STS or DTS not quite sure... but then to throw things into perceptive they had an old escalade... so you know this video wasnt made recently...

what cars are those in the comercial...?

there was what seemed like the next generation XLR and possibly next gen STS or DTS not quite sure... but then to throw things into perceptive they had an old escalade... so you know this video wasnt made recently...

172533[/snapback]

The unidentified vehicles you're referring to are the Cadillac (1999?) Evoq, (2000?) Imaj, & (2001?) Vizon concept cars. Evoq was a preview to the XLR. Imaj was suppose to preview the STS(pre-lutz), and the Vizon previewed the SRX.

I think the commercial came out around the time when CTS debuted back in 2002 (but the commercial might be a 2003 though).

I like the tag line, and I like the ads. They're perfect for the target market they're trying to get... if it was a Lexus print add, yuppies would eat it up. Hopefully, they'll eat up Caddy's print ad. As said, the heritage ad with the crest and wreath boldly put in it with the skyline in the background is draw dropping. I'm pleasantly suprised. Very impressive indeed.

Edited by titan

:twocents: For what it is worth, I liked a couple of the ads, but hate the photo of the idiots (pretty people) sitting in the cars. I have to guess on what the car is - but I can tell you the idiot in the passenger seat is wearing Armani. How does that sell me the CAR?

I am 34 years old, we have an XLR in our 'fleet' that my dad and I share. I always stop dead in my tracks when I pass it. The car is so good looking, people have taken photos of us in traffic in the damned thing! The CTS, STS, SRX, and DTS are all on my wish list - and would jump on the chance to own any of them ( not so keen on the DTS due to FWD, but the rest of the line is drop dead georgeous. Why are these ad companies trying to sell the image that they THINK the car needs to convey instead of actually selling the CAR? When I see an ad like this all I think is: "well, the car must not have anything to offer driving wise, as they aren't showing me anyone driving it!"

The XLR add with Zepplin playing when the woman drives through the simulated water and she is laughing with glee at the exilerating drive - now THAT was a car ad that said - this is a car that is so good you will be laughing with glee each time that you drive it. I can tell you that I relish the day my dad called me to say he was driving his next new car - when he stepped on it on the on ramp - dropped the cell phone and could only screem "Holy Jesus this thing is FAST!" and showed up to my place looking like a 7 year old with the shiniest Hotwheels car he has ever seen ( and he looks like that 8 months later every day he shows up in the thing! ) - that to me showed what the XLR conveys - driving fun. These ads, other than the 60 second spot about 'start dreaming again' do nothing for me that wants me to get into ANY car. Made me want to not shave and put on a nice suit and sit in a car - whose car? I guess it said Cadillac in the ad, so I guess it was some Caddy they make. Yawn. The guys in the car look like they are waiting at a drive thru or something. - Blah.

Posted Image

Lustful Leanings

Cadillac shifting marketing focus; cites 'startling' research findings

By JEAN HALLIDAY | ADVERTISING AGE

AutoWeek | Published 07/27/06, 3:03 pm et

DETROIT -- General Motors' first work for Cadillac from new agency Modernista, Boston, aims to "put a little lust back into the brand."

So said Liz Vanzura, marketing director of the luxury marquee, in unveiling new print work from the agency, which replaced Publicis Groupe's Leo Burnett, Detroit and Chicago. The car brand is dropping the former shop's "Break Through" ads after a four-year run. Vanzura said the new push aims to boost consideration of the Cadillac brand among three main targets younger than its current owners. She calls them "alphas," "hot moms" and "move-ups."

"Our mission is to reignite people's love affair with Cadillac," she said.

Cadillac still plans to keep its loyal older owners, and while it wants to attract more baby boomers, Vanzura said this group is the most difficult to reach because "they are really stuck on Lexus, Mercedes-Benz and BMW and see no reason to switch."

She said extensive consumer research earlier this year revealed some startling findings: Many younger consumers knew Cadillac's Escalade sport utility vehicle but were unfamiliar with other models. Many didn't see the brand as having a vehicle for them.

Vanzura said the new blitz will "romance" the brand's crested logo to show off its iconic nature. Gary Koepke, executive creative director and co-founder of Modernista, said the Cadillac print work has a three-pronged approach. Some work highlights the crest; other shows people, "to inject an attitude"; and the rest focuses on a single product to help build model awareness.

Print is rolling out in August magazines, and TV spots are expected later in the month. In mid-August Cadillac for the first time will use wild postings in key markets.

Vanzura declined to discuss spending but said it will be comparable to 2005. Cadillac spent $226 million in measured U.S. media last year, according to TNS Media Intelligence.

The median age of Cadillac buyers across its lineup is 59, although Jim Taylor, the brand's general marketing manager, said it dropped from 64 since the 2002 model year, when the CTS sedan launched to replace the Catera.

But Cadillac has a dilemma in trying to retain its older buyers while chasing younger ones. Cadillac is "trying to split its image" by keeping the DTS and STS sedans that appeal more to retirees, said Wes Brown, auto analyst with Iceology.

Taylor said Cadillac has made good progress since 2002 in "re-establishing the heritage we had in our glory years." The 12 products launched since then brought back dramatic styling, improved quality and gone are the days of "large, floaty boats," he said.

Cadillac reported that U.S. sales in the first half of 2006 slipped by 9% to 110,620 units. The Escalade model was the only one to post a sales increase -- up 25% to 18,874 units. Cadillac launched the redone 2007 Escalade during the Super Bowl this year

:twocents: For what it is worth, I liked a couple of the ads, but hate the photo of the idiots (pretty people) sitting in the cars.  I have to guess on what the car is - but I can tell you the idiot in the passenger seat is wearing Armani.  How does that sell me the CAR?

I am 34 years old, we have an XLR in our 'fleet' that my dad and I share.  I always stop dead in my tracks when I pass it.  The car is so good looking, people have taken photos of us in traffic in the damned thing!  The CTS, STS, SRX, and DTS are all on my wish list - and would jump on the chance to own any of them ( not so keen on the DTS due to FWD, but the rest of the line is drop dead georgeous.  Why are these ad companies trying to sell the image that they THINK the car needs to convey instead of actually selling the CAR?  When I see an ad like this all I think is: "well, the car must not have anything to offer driving wise, as they aren't showing me anyone driving it!" 

The XLR add with Zepplin playing when the woman drives through the simulated water and she is laughing with glee at the exilerating drive - now THAT was a car ad that said - this is a car that is so good you will be laughing with glee each time that you drive it.  I can tell you that I relish the day my dad called me to say he was driving his next new car - when he stepped on it on the on ramp - dropped the cell phone and could only screem "Holy Jesus this thing is FAST!" and showed up to my place looking like a 7 year old with the shiniest Hotwheels car he has ever seen ( and he looks like that 8 months later every day he shows up in the thing! ) - that to me showed what the XLR conveys - driving fun.  These ads, other than the 60 second spot about 'start dreaming again' do nothing for me that wants me to get into ANY car.  Made me want to not shave and put on a nice suit and sit in a car - whose car?  I guess it said Cadillac in the ad, so I guess it was some Caddy they make.  Yawn.  The guys in the car look like they are waiting at a drive thru or something.  - Blah.

172590[/snapback]

Well, if you sell the brand, you're advertising all Cadillacs, as opposed to one particular model.

Frankly, the new "summer event" ads that try to impress us with the car bore me to death. Most people see nothing special in watching 360 angles of a car, no matter how stunning one might think it is. And even worse is advertising features or horsepower, which is always a bit juvenile.

I like the tag line, and I like the ads.  They're perfect for the target market they're trying to get... if it was a Lexus print add, yuppies would eat it up.  Hopefully, they'll eat up Caddy's print ad.  As said, the heritage ad with the crest and wreath boldly put in it with the skyline in the background is draw dropping.  I'm pleasantly suprised.  Very impressive indeed.

172571[/snapback]

Totally agree. There's a nice blend of heritage, contemporary and Americana. I love it.

I don't think the new ads are bad, but they aren't brilliant, either. The sepia-toned one of the Calatrava-looking bridge and the one with "The Tubes" are pretty, but don't really say anything about the brand, they say more about Modernista! thinking how cool they are. The ones with the models are okay, but not great; the one with the two guys (is that one for the gay rags?) is the best of them, since the one with the girl and the one with the single guy both look as if they're bored or pi$$ed off. Not a good look if you're trying to sell a luxury brand. The graphics could use some work as well. The best of the lot is the one for the Escalade- it almost has a bit of the feel of the 60's ads, but modernised. I give it a B, when it needs to be an A+

But does this mean that we'll start to see Cadillac in script on the cars again?

Those look like photos from AE or J.Crew or something, not a car company. I hope they are not print ads because they do not even show good car shots. I do like how the tag line is written, however.

I love the Jaguar campaign but it can be a little confusing at times.

I cannot find the print ad online, but I just saw the new CTS ad saying:

There is an invisibility cloak. It's built in Germany.

Can't deny it's got balls. Caddy has the nuts to back it up....

Personally, I always liked the old Lincoln tagline or whatever that read:

AMERICAN LUXURY

Don't know why they stopped using it, but I wish Cadillac had something like that.

I cannot find the print ad online, but I just saw the new CTS ad saying:

There is an invisibility cloak.  It's built in Germany.

Can't deny it's got balls.  Caddy has the nuts to back it up....

172680[/snapback]

I think it's in the new Motor Trend. I saw it, thought about it and came to a conclusion: great advertising.

http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...041/PROMOBLOG01

I think that sort of clears up the message, and I see where they're going now. Other than the Escalade, apparantly Cadillac is looked at as a grandpa's car still for the most part, and the younger people with money don't consider it unless they want an Escalade. The new ads show relatively young people that at least look like they're in the upper class and puts them together with Cadillac.

Those look like photos from AE or J.Crew or something, not a car company.  I hope they are not print ads because they do not even show good car shots.  I do like how the tag line is written, however.

I love the Jaguar campaign but it can be a little confusing at times.

172636[/snapback]

From the article:

Vanzura said the new push aims to boost consideration of the Cadillac brand among three main targets younger than its current owners. She calls them "alphas," "hot moms" and "move-ups."

I think that pretty much sums up why they look like they're from a clothing company. It shows young people who look like they have money and they place them in Cadillacs, which conveys the message to younger rich people that it's okay to drive a Cadillac instead of that BMW or MB.

Posted Image

172436[/snapback]

The ads are alluring in a way. I'm not sure they sell the car. (Nice to know they are being loyal to a demographic segment of their buyers).

I think the tag line is terrible. While it doesn't need to be as baroque as "Standard of the World," it does need to be something more enduring.

If GM's divisions are awakening from some type of slumber, the effort needs to be synergistic and they can't blow it with dumb-ass tag lines.

Cadillac Introduces New "Life. Liberty. And The Pursuit." Marketing Campaign

Link to Original Article @ GlobalGiants.com

Cadillac DTS

Posted Image

Following one of the most talked-about marketing campaigns in automotive history and four consecutive years of sales growth, Cadillac is introducing a new marketing campaign that aims to reignite America’s love affair with the brand.

Cadillac Escalade

Posted Image

The new campaign carries the theme “Life. Liberty. And The Pursuit.” It showcases Cadillac’s relevancy to today’s luxury consumers and supports the next generation of Cadillac’s ongoing product renaissance. The new advertising will launch in early August and continue to roll-out throughout the rest of the year.

Cadillac is a division of General Motors (NYSE: GM).

“We have raised awareness and achieved good momentum with the Cadillac brand,” said Cadillac Global Marketing Director, Liz Vanzura. “But now it’s time to put a face on the brand and invite more consumers to experience what Cadillac has to offer.”

This new campaign, the first for Cadillac from Modernista! in Boston, is based on extensive consumer research that concluded that “Life. Liberty. And The Pursuit.” best communicates to consumers that Cadillac embodies the best of America, embraces the brand’s rich heritage, yet is forward looking and modern.

“Cadillac was, is, and will always be the American luxury automobile icon and symbol of success,” said Vanzura. “Our new advertising will showcase the brand’s rich heritage in an approach that is fresh and aspirational.”

“What’s great about the brand is that everyone has a Cadillac story to tell. The brand is ingrained within our culture. We’re looking to capture that optimistic, can-do American spirit in our work” said Gary Koepke, Creative Director & Co-founder of Modernista!

The fully-integrated campaign will include creative executions on national broadcast and cable networks (NFL weekend games, Monday Night Football, ABC & CBS College Football, Ryder Cup), premium positions in several core luxury and lifestyle print outlets (Architectural Digest, Conde Nast Traveler, GQ, Vanity Fair, Food & Wine and more) and an array of non-traditional, out-of-home, interactive and nationwide promotional activities.