Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

'08 LaCrosse Super Revealed to Dealers

buickguy

I got this from another website: Can any dealers please confirm?

LaCrosse Super WAS at the dealer meeting in Vegas last weekend.

It DID look like the China version (similar, imagine with oval grill like lucerne).

It IS due out next summer, only in the CXS version which will come with the same V8 as the Impala SS.

The 2008 CXL and CX *should* have the new front end as well, making the LaCrosse look more like the Lucerne.

It'd really be stupid if they went out of their way to make such a dramatic change to the car if it's only going to be produced one more year, since it's taking a vacation for 2009.

I can understand maybe a new grille/headlights for 2008, but to introduce such a dramatic change for 1 year? Seems like a waste.

It IS due out next summer, only in the CXS version which will come with the same V8 as the Impala SS.

The 2008 CXL and CX *should* have the new front end as well, making the LaCrosse look more like the Lucerne.

199863[/snapback]

Okay, I take that back.. what would make sense is throwing the 5.3L under the hood for the CXS and making the 3.6L standard for the CX and CXL. Fat chance though.

Okay, I take that back.. what would make sense is throwing the 5.3L under the hood for the CXS and making the 3.6L standard for the CX and CXL.  Fat chance though.

199993[/snapback]

talking to yourself again :lol:

I thought in a nother thread it was kinda decided that the '09s would be produced, but only for a few months... then it'd move to the ep2 ...obviously in time for the '10 MY.

????

Ummm...it was revealed to dealers a YEAR AGO in Vegas...but honestly I highly doubt it's coming at this point.

As far as "looking like the Chinese version" well duh they're both W-bodies. BUT...it won't be just like the Chinese version.

talking to yourself again  :lol:

I thought in a nother thread it was kinda decided that the '09s would be produced, but only for a few months... then it'd move to the ep2 ...obviously in time for the '10 MY.

????

199999[/snapback]

I have great conversations with myself :AH-HA_wink:

I thought it was discussed recently that in 2008 (not the model year, but the actual year), the plant was being shut down to be retooled and updated to build the ep2, and then the NG LaCrosse would debut in winter 2009.

If anything, LaCrosse needs to dump anything below the CXS trim-as I've said in other threads, the time when Buicks are equipped like Chevrolet's need to end once and for all.

LaCrosse Super WAS at the dealer meeting in Vegas last weekend.

199863[/snapback]

Now I'm not quoting this or saying this to be rude or crass, but Croc, is this not what I said not even a week ago on this web-site?

Look for a globalized Buick styling theme with the Chinese LaCrosse coming out on top.

Now I'm not quoting this or saying this to be rude or crass, but Croc, is this not what I said not even a week ago on this web-site?

Look for a globalized Buick styling theme with the Chinese LaCrosse coming out on top.

200074[/snapback]

Well, I'm hoping the next gen lacrosse is much nicer than the chinese lacrosse. Not a big fan. I'd like to see something more sports/luxury.

200074[/snapback]

See my post above.

Also, the next gen LaCrosse is not going to simply be a "Chinese LaCrosse".....different crash test standards in China than here in the U.S. So, it's going to have obvious differences but, styling themes will be similar.

Guest YellowJacket894

There are ways to make a car acheive crash tests for two different markets while keeping the same basic design. An example that comes to mind first would be the Commodore and GTO. :wink:

I just wanted to point that out. :)

Edited by YellowJacket894

Oh joy...another lame attempt at being a performance car by throwing a V8 into an old FWD platform...Funny how only GM could think this idea up (and thank god).

F this thing and put the saved money towards a full redesign on a platform from this Millenium...and make it RWD...then stuff a V8 under the hood.

Been saving that haven't you? :P

Still...I think they should just sae this "super" and the V8 for a redesign on a better platform. FWD V8 with probably a 4-speed = not good.

200324[/snapback]

It's already done on 2 cars. It's just a small attempt at getting any extra sales they can for the thing.

And how's it working out on those other cars?  TORQUE STEER!

200350[/snapback]

Um, actually, not quite. I test drove a GXP around the time they came out and its surprisingly docile even at full throttle, especially considering 323lb-ft of torque coming in low in a medium-weight car.

Um, actually, not quite. I test drove a GXP around the time they came out and its surprisingly docile even at full throttle.

200351[/snapback]

Apparently the GXP handles the torque better than the SS. Not sure why.... maybe it's the odd tires.

Haven't been following the Lacrosse closely, but whats the point. The whole program is pretty straightforward.

The "Super" is being done by GM's High Performance Division, like the GXP was. Most all the hardware is already on Impala SS and GXP. Buick fancies it as a Lexus IS competitor. The car will be out sometime next year (most likely before summer). and along with the rest of the Lacrosse line, it's future isn't assured past 2008, though it's completely possible it'll be moved to the Oshawa 1 plant.

Oh joy...another lame attempt at being a performance car by throwing a V8 into an old FWD platform...Funny how only GM could think this idea up (and thank god).

F this thing and put the saved money towards a full redesign on a platform from this Millenium...and make it RWD...then stuff a V8 under the hood.

200313[/snapback]

This car isn't meant for you. You are not it's target market.

The Chrysler 300 isn't meant for the Dodge division or buyer, and the Charger isn't meant for the Chrysler buyer. Same thing regarding the Buick Lacrosse Super.

GM is giving more focus to their divisions, and it makes alot of sense. There is no point stuffing every division with high powered, RWD, stiff handling cars. That most certainly isn't Buick.

Chevrolet will be your "value" division. It's performance cars will be more traditional street rods. Cheap, crude, and quick.

Pontiac will be the "excitement" division. It's performance cars will be sophisticated, great handling, and have more foreign flavor. Much like BMW, but without i-drive or a BS price.

Buick, on the other hand, will be the "American Roadcar" division. Their performance cars will be able to eat up long streaches of freeway and will be targeted to older buyers. As a whole, Buick will have the oldest buyers of all GM's divisions.

Saturn, Hummer, and Cadillac will be specialized divisions. Saturn being the Euro division, sharing cars with Opel, Hummer we already know, and Cadillac is going to be GM's world luxury division, eventially running toe to toe with Mercedes.

The FWD Lacrosse isn't my cup of tea, and the Super isn't something I'd buy. I wouldn't buy a Tahoe or an STS either. But that doesn't mean they aren't very good vehicles, and very competitive to the market segment they're targeted at.

Apparently the GXP handles the torque better than the SS.  Not sure why.... maybe it's the odd tires.

200352[/snapback]

Impala SS has a pretty bizzare traction control logic in their computer. You floor it, and the "brain" only sees that the front tires are spinning, and begins playing with the front brakes to gain control. Car and Driver got around this by turning the thing off. Meanwhile, the GXP, made by GMHP division (I don't think the Impala SS was) doesn't have that issue.

Edited by guionM

Haven't been following the Lacrosse closely, but whats the point. The whole program is pretty straightforward.

The "Super" is being done by GM's High Performance Division, like the GXP was. Most all the hardware is already on Impala SS and GXP. Buick fancies it as a Lexus IS competitor. The car will be out sometime next year (most likely before summer). and along with the rest of the Lacrosse line, it's future isn't assured past 2008, though it's completely possible it'll be moved to the Oshawa 1 plant.

This car isn't meant for you. You are not it's target market.

The Chrysler 300 isn't meant for the Dodge division or buyer, and the Charger isn't meant for the Chrysler buyer. Same thing regarding the Buick Lacrosse Super.

GM is giving more focus to their divisions, and it makes alot of sense. There is no point stuffing every division with high powered, RWD, stiff handling cars. That most certainly isn't Buick.

Chevrolet will be your "value" division. It's performance cars will be more traditional street rods. Cheap, crude, and quick.

Pontiac will be the "excitement" division. It's performance cars will be sophisticated, great handling, and have more foreign flavor. Much like BMW, but without i-drive or a BS price.

Buick, on the other hand, will be the "American Roadcar" division. Their performance cars will be able to eat up long streaches of freeway and will be targeted to older buyers. As a whole, Buick will have the oldest buyers of all GM's divisions.

Saturn, Hummer, and Cadillac will be specialized divisions. Saturn being the Euro division, sharing cars with Opel, Hummer we already know, and Cadillac is going to be GM's world luxury division, eventially running toe to toe with Mercedes.

The FWD Lacrosse isn't my cup of tea, and the Super isn't something I'd buy. I wouldn't buy a Tahoe or an STS either. But that doesn't mean they aren't very good vehicles, and very competitive to the market segment they're targeted at.

Impala SS has a pretty bizzare traction control logic in their computer. You floor it, and the "brain" only sees that the front tires are spinning, and begins playing with the front brakes to gain control. Car and Driver got around this by turning the thing off.  Meanwhile, the GXP, made by GMHP division (I don't think the Impala SS was) doesn't have that issue.

200379[/snapback]

the problem is not that Buick isn't trying to make the car competitive.....and I do believe the Lacrosse has its merits, the problem is the foundation of the vehicle is all wrong. I'm not trying to rehash the product argument since most here already know the reality of how bad GM has it, but Buick can do a much better "American Roadcar" than the Lacrosse Super. For great examples of this methodology look to real classics of our time [i'm going to get tomatoed for using those words]...Passat 3.6, Accord V6, E-Class AMG and C-Class AMG. Yes, I'm aware I'm stretching, and yes I'm aware the price class is different. However, these cars epitomize, to the average American buyer, what a classic comfortable powerful elegant luxury roadcar is. And they deliver it in a package that is highly visually stimulating. They are not overly stiff, they are comfortable with a good grip on the road. They are powerful, have reserves of smooth silky power to go, can hold the road when commanded to, and yet the ride delivered is smooth like butter.

Lexus also does this well.

For Buick to actually do well, cars like the Lacrosse must go away. The way I view the Lacrosse is the way I view most GM cars---very competent base and mechanicals delivered in a package that wears styling from yesteryear and is sadly free of polish.

Edited by turbo200

I just don't understand the point of a vehicle only being around for 1 MY.

200442[/snapback]

there is no point. it won't attract much attention or court to new buyers. like the malibu ss before it, the uplevel more powerful versions will only appeal to buyers who were already considering the car. for most people, the lacrosse and malibu are far far off thier shopping lists, and adding a heckuva lot more power and some minute handling enhancements really won't entice that many new buyers, there's much deeper problems going on with those cars. start by portraying the right image for the right market segment, GM. they'd be better off saving the money for advertising and coordination costs, imo.

I dont know why they are wasting money "updating" the lacrosse when the current model will go out of production in 2009.. a whole new lacrosse will debut for the 2010 model year and it will be shifted to the Epsilion platform and will be assembled in Orion Michigan alongside the Pontiac G6. its assembly space in oshwa will be occupied by the new Camaro..

I dont know why they are wasting money "updating" the lacrosse when the current model will go out of production in 2009..  a whole new lacrosse will debut for the 2010 model year and it will be shifted to the Epsilion platform and will be assembled in Orion Michigan alongside the Pontiac G6.  its assembly space in oshwa will be occupied by the new Camaro..

200540[/snapback]

Maybe the updated Lacrosse will be kept on the market for more time (say, until 2011, 12, or while there's still market for it). Maybe the Epsilon Buick will not be called Lacrosse, and they will be sold togheter (remember Century/Regal?).

There's no logic in sell an MCE'd model for only one model year. GM is smarter than that.

Edited by Supremus

The LaCrosse is ok but really needs to move into the new milleneum. Bench seats, wheel covers, manual seat recliners, 3800's and 4 speed automatic trannys are very 90's and have no place on a 25-34K Buick. Even the Chevy Impala is more modern in it's approach with std bucket seats across the board, std trip computers, newer 3500 and 3900 engines with AFM technology on the 3900, std drivers power recliner and manual lumbar support, better styling and more interior room overall. Plus the Impala drives better. What really was upsetting was the 32K LaCrosse CXS sitting at our local Buick dealer with manual seat recliners, the same cheap looking door panals as the base car, no power passenger seat, a single CD player and not much more equipment than the lower end versions. If I were Buick, the 3.6 240 hp engine would be standard say with 3.29:1 gears for 29-30 highway mpg, a Lucerne like grille would be in place along with bolder headlights, alloy wheels would be std, the Impalas power recliner and manual lumbar would be included on every model as std. This car badly needs to move a little more upscale to be taken seriously in the marketplace.

The LaCrosse is ok but really needs to move into the new milleneum. Bench seats, wheel covers, manual seat recliners, 3800's and 4 speed automatic trannys are very 90's and have no place on a 25-34K Buick. Even the Chevy Impala is more modern in it's approach with std bucket seats across the board, std trip computers, newer 3500 and 3900 engines with AFM technology on the 3900, std drivers power recliner and manual lumbar support, better styling and more interior room overall. Plus the Impala drives better. What really was upsetting was the 32K LaCrosse CXS sitting at our local Buick dealer with manual seat recliners, the same cheap looking door panals as the base car, no power passenger seat, a single CD player and not much more equipment than the lower end versions. If I were Buick, the 3.6 240 hp engine would be standard say with 3.29:1 gears for 29-30 highway mpg, a Lucerne like grille would be in place along with bolder headlights, alloy wheels would be std, the Impalas power recliner and manual lumbar would be included on every model as std. This car badly needs to move a little more upscale to be taken seriously in the marketplace.

200856[/snapback]

Although I'd like to see those things happen, I just doubt they will before the redesign.

It'd be nice if the 3.6L was standard with a 6A, optional V8 on the CXS. Sport-tuned suspension standard on all models, some LED backlit gauges, optional bi-xenon headlights on CXL/CXS, 6-cd changer standard on CXL and CXS, 18" wheels available on CXS, 17's standard on CXL.

Guest YellowJacket894

Still...I think they should just save this "super" and the V8 for a redesign on a better platform.

:withstupid:

FWD V8 with probably a 4-speed = not good.

A short lesson in this:

-G-Body cars (Aurora, Bonneville GX/P) with V8s = :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

-W-Body cars (Impala, Grand Prix GX/P) with V8s = :thumbsup::thumbsdown:

I'll admit, the G-Body was V8-and-front-drive done right. Too bad we'll never see anything like that again.

Bye W-Body. You gave us great cars like the Intrigue and the Regal GS. However, you've been giving us the same old, same old recently, so if anyone is sad about you leaving now, you'd better relish the grieving. When Zeta gets here, you can write your anemic ass off for good. :wavey:

Lacrosse going to Epilson ? Better buy your Lacrosse now if you want a nice comfortable, excellent riding, great handling car by the name of Lacrosse.

What I cant see is the energy you guys are putting into crying over Buick, when at least they are putting some effort into a car while its still on the market. Rather than just one more year of the same old car they are going to give it some more character.

Ill look forward to seeing a new facia on the Lacrosse while it transitions into the next model. Most of we GM people that have been around awhile have made many comments about how GM used to at least change facia once every 2 years if nothing else. Perhaps you could try to look at this as a sign that they are going to put continued effort into a model, rather than riding it out to th end.

The V8 is plug and play, the entire drivetrain, engine frame, wiring harness and PCM is ready willing and able to bolt into the bottom of the car, so what the hell are you crying about ?

I realize some think it would be better to just let Buick lay around and rot while they are waiting for the rest of their spoiled siblings to get done with dinner. I for one am glad to hear that mother is at least throwing them some scraps while they stand there, stomach growling, waiting for a chance to sit down and be fed.

So whos V6 was it that kept GM cars in sales all those years ? "Oh, yea, we remember you..........here.........we trimed this of the slab of beef the rest are chowing down............catch ! "

"Hey ! Dont give them that, let them sit there and wait !"

Lacrosse going to Epilson ? Better buy your Lacrosse now if you want a nice comfortable, excellent riding, great handling car by the name of Lacrosse.

What I cant see is the energy you guys are putting into crying over Buick, when at least they are putting some effort into a car while its still on the market. Rather than just one more year of the same old car they are going to give it some more character.

Ill look forward to seeing a new facia on the Lacrosse while it transitions into the next model. Most of we GM people that have been around awhile have made many comments about how GM used to at least change facia once every 2 years if nothing else. Perhaps you could try to look at this as a sign that they are going to put continued effort into a model, rather than riding it out to th end.

The V8 is plug and play, the entire drivetrain, engine frame, wiring harness and PCM is ready willing and able to bolt into the bottom of the car, so what the hell are you crying about ?

I realize some think it would be better to just let Buick lay around and rot while they are waiting for the rest of their spoiled siblings to get done with dinner. I for one am glad to hear that mother is at least throwing them some scraps while they stand there, stomach growling, waiting for a chance to sit down and be fed.

So whos V6 was it that kept GM cars in sales all those years ? "Oh, yea, we remember you..........here.........we trimed this of the slab of beef the rest are chowing down............catch ! "

"Hey ! Dont give them that, let them sit there and wait !"

201046[/snapback]

Rather than stuffing a V8 with a

4 speed in it...which I wouldn't be surprised is the case...why not a powerful and more fuel efficient V6 with a 6-speed? Also...I recall C&D co mparing it and found the ride to get messy when teh road became less than perfect, and the backseat cramped...

Rather than stuffing a V8 with a

4 speed in it...which I wouldn't be surprised is the case...why not a powerful and more fuel efficient V6 with a 6-speed? Also...I recall C&D co mparing it and found the ride to get messy when teh road became less than perfect, and the backseat cramped...

201053[/snapback]

your fighten little battles

V8 dont need 6sp

6sp is simply 2 more, great accomplishment when you learning to count

1% of the time, you might see someone in a back seat

3.6 & 6 sp is reserved for Caddy, select Pontiac and saturin at this time........read my scenario at the bottom of my post and see if it sinks in.

Im sure C&D has found many cars to have many faults, "road became less than perfect" wow, whats that ?

So first its, why bother its one more year, then its lets put more effort and spend more money. The W body engine frame will not be made to accept the new tranny, that is a "why bother". Just a tid for those that learned two new numbers and cling to that knowledge with a death defying grip.

Maybe the point of the car is simply good PR for Buick... It might serve to open the eyes of a few younger buyers (younger than current buyers anyway) so that when Buick does have a more worthy entrant in 1-2 years, they might consider buying.

201655[/snapback]

FOG think about what you just said...now does it make any sense whatsoever that taking the most geriatric Buick, stuffing the GXP and SS engine under its hood, and calling it "Super" would attract any more young buyers than if they gave away a free box of depends with every radio upgrade?

Maybe the updated Lacrosse will be kept on the market for more time (say, until 2011, 12, or while there's still market for it). Maybe the Epsilon Buick will not be called Lacrosse, and they will be sold togheter (remember Century/Regal?).

There's no logic in sell an MCE'd model for only one model year. GM is smarter than that.

the assembly line that the Lacrosse and Grand Prix are built on is shifting to Camaro production in the summer of 2008.. Pontiac will get a rebadged version of the Holden Commodore to replace the grand prix, and that car will more than likely share the assembly line with the Camaro.. the lacrosse could however be built next to the current impala though, the impala wont move to Zeta until 2010 or 2011.. and they will have more room since the current monte carlo will die after the 08 model year..

• 5 months later...

FOG think about what you just said...now does it make any sense whatsoever that taking the most geriatric Buick, stuffing the GXP and SS engine under its hood, and calling it "Super" would attract any more young buyers than if they gave away a free box of depends with every radio upgrade?

I find your reply offensive to senior citizens. I'm a baby boomer and have owned five performance cars in my lifetime. Three of them had RWD, officially making them muscle cars. I think the new Super WILL attract the "Depends" crowd (as you like to call us), who want a combination of comfortable seats along with performance. But you're right about the car attracting young buyers. They probably won't think it's good looking.

Edited by jpstax