Buick Portholes in USA TODAY

buickguy

Some small quibbles...

As for the holes in the sides of Buicks, they're on Lucerne and on the Enclave crossover vehicle that's about to launch. There are three on each side for cars with the V-6 engine, four for the V-8. And they're fake. They no longer vent the engine or serve any other real purpose.

Aside from the very first use documented below on that '48 Roadmaster, they never, ever, ever, ever did.

They were called VentiPorts when Buick's chief designer, Ned Nickles, cut them into the sides of a Roadmaster in 1948. They showed up on models until 1958, sometimes on the fenders, sometimes on the hood. They were reintroduced on a concept car convertible at the 2004 New York auto show and became part of the 2005 Park Avenue.

Wrong again. Buick's Signia carried them (1998) as well as Cielo (1999), LaCrosse (2000), Bengal (2001), Velite (2004), and Enclave (2005). They also were reintroduced into the production lineup in 2003 for the Park Avenue Ultra. In 2005, the base Park Ave got them. No one just pulled this out of their ass.

"I was personally kind of embarrassed when Buick brought back the portholes. About the only people who remember them are 96," says retired Nissan design chief Jerry Hirshberg.

From the mouth of the same guy who oversaw the old Altima, the bucktoothed Maxima, and the Quest. Nice.

Quibbles on the quibbles:

>>"Aside from the very first use documented below on that '48 Roadmaster, they never, ever, ever, ever did."<<

Not so fast, grasshopper. VentiPorts were functional halfway thru the production '49 run AND on the '87 GNX.

>>"Buick's Signia carried them (1998) as well as Cielo (1999), LaCrosse (2000), Bengal (2001), Velite (2004), and Enclave (2005). They also were reintroduced into the production lineup in 2003 for the Park Avenue Ultra."<<

As buickguy alluded to: Buick VentiPorts (production)~

1949-1957

1960-1984

1992-1996

2003-present

Sorry- I like them & all, but the '92-96 Roadmaster's C-pillar vents just don't fit my definition of VentiPorts (primarily: they're not on the front fenders or hood). I included them above anyway.

LOTS of VentiPorts on Buick concepts.

LOVE how this lazy-ass writer missed twenty-five years of Buick portholes. What a pathetic miserable idiotic nothing.

To clarify: Nickles' personal '48 Roadmaster convertible had amber lights wired to the distributor, and they flashed with the respective spark plugs. He was inspired by WWII fighter plane exhaust. Tho the '49s were only 7 months from production, they were ordered to be included. Without the lights, unfortunately.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with the fact that Ventiports are (primarily) decorative. Loads of 'decoration' & fake stuff on loads of cars, foreign & domestic. Who gives a sh!t if any of it's functional when you usually have to be told via press release when something IS functional.

VentiPorts are cool- I am still thinking about putting them on my '59.

First, cant they make a law that allows us to slap these types of people senseless ? or perhaps that is the problem, they were already slapped senseless.

Second, we all need to take a bit of time and repeat...

Ventiports........Ventiports..........Ventiports........

This is a givin on Aston Martins and has been

Posted Image

Ferrari has nearly always used some sort of fender venting, sometimes nonfunctional and always changing

Posted Image

Posted Image

BMW even made one [ :P ]excellent looking car, complete with fender vents

Posted ImagePosted Image

Of course we all know none of these cars have ever been thought to be classy or desireable or of notable "design"

So all those with Ventiphobia.......I got something for you !

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image OH YEA ! Posted Image HERE....HAVE ANOTHER !Posted Image

Edited by razoredge

Guest YellowJacket894

user posted image user posted image user posted image OH YEA ! user posted image HERE....HAVE ANOTHER !user posted image

:lol:

Gotta love Firefox's way of giving the red X the boot.

user posted image user posted image user posted image OH YEA ! user posted image HERE....HAVE ANOTHER !user posted image

:lol:

Gotta love Firefox's way of giving the red X the boot.

208425[/snapback]

Whats that ? A protection that doesnt let some images come through ? They did post for me but usually dont show up the next day or so.

Its a very, very recent styling cue.

Not dogging you, Fly, but....

The crosshair grille design was 'borrowed' from Chrysler. Used on the 300 Letter Series cars: '60-65, other Chryslers in '66-68, plus the '79 300 had it.

I know- no one but me remembers.... :(

208495[/snapback]

Doesn't make it Dodge's! :P

- 50 mistakes about Buick's heritage

- bashing of their Ventiports on numerours occasions, no negative speak of anyone elses traits.

- shameless Kia plug

- Nissan jackass quote insulting Buick

Nahh... perfectly balanced and fair journalism!

Some small quibbles...

Aside from the very first use documented below on that '48 Roadmaster, they never, ever, ever, ever did.

Wrong again. Buick's Signia carried them (1998) as well as Cielo (1999), LaCrosse (2000), Bengal (2001), Velite (2004), and Enclave (2005). They also were reintroduced into the production lineup in 2003 for the Park Avenue Ultra. In 2005, the base Park Ave got them. No one just pulled this out of their ass.

From the mouth of the same guy who oversaw the old Altima, the bucktoothed Maxima, and the Quest. Nice.

208240[/snapback]

Jerry Hirshberg is an overrated, egotistic asshole with nary a hint of design talent.....

....IMHO....

Nissans have never looked better since he left......

Its a very, very recent styling cue.

208445[/snapback]

Longer than it seems.

At least since around, what, 1986 when they face-lifted the Dodge 600 sedans/convertibles, introduced the Lancer, and the Shadow?

That's when the CHMSL was introduced, the first use of the expanded 2.2L Trans Four (the 2.5L I-4), and on the 600's the pentastar moved from the hood to the cross hairs of the grille, which itself list its distinctive prow and slatted grille.

Even though that the date listed by myself very recent, I can't believe that it's been 20+ years already. I mean, that's as old as I am now!

Edited by MyerShift