Concept to Production - Buick Enclave

Flybrian

There are only a handful of subtle differences between the concept and production interiors, and the exterior shots are almost identical.

The only exterior differences I can spot: A split was added to the rear passenger windows in production. The rear antenna is larger. The sheet metal on the liftgate appears to be different. And I wouldn't have been able to tell you this except someone else had already pointed it out: the wheels are smaller.

Also, by comparison, the Centieme looks like crap except for the front quarter, which is very sleek and sexy compared to the Enclave. Still, the Enclave is a far superior package overall.

Edited by aaaantoine

There are only a handful of subtle differences between the concept and production interiors, and the exterior shots are almost identical.

The only exterior differences I can spot: A split was added to the rear passenger windows in production.  The rear antenna is larger.  The sheet metal on the liftgate appears to be different.  And I wouldn't have been able to tell you this except someone else had already pointed it out: the wheels are smaller.

Also, by comparison, the Centieme looks like crap except for the front quarter, which is very sleek and sexy compared to the Enclave.  Still, the Enclave is a far superior package overall.

221059[/snapback]

You can add different wheel well flares... but that's basically it. They nailed it!

The Enclave is, I would say, unprecedented in GM history on 2 counts- it's closer to the concept than a production model ever has been, and the production model is hotter than the original concept (the Centieme). I like the front clip of the Centieme very much; as aaaantoine stated- it's very slick, but the rear half looks almost.... Swedish in a way- not to my fancy. The Centimeme overall 'perches' on it's tires almost insect-like.

Exterior of the Enclave is more muscular, more interesting and more upscale- well done.

Interior is terrifically nice- only thing I could possible critique is: I would like to seem some stylistic attention paid to the pedals again- no one does that anymore.

Enclave looks great-I always thought the Centieme concept was a dog compared to the 1998 Signia, 1999 Cielo, 2000 LaCrosse, and even 2001 Bengal (and 2004 Velite), and I tried really hard to like it, but I just couldn't bring myself to like it much. Enclave looks great, now how about some drawings, GM!

Here is a thought to ponder for everyone upset about the lack of leather on the dash and center stack...I look at it as a good thing, I mean think about the quality problems that could arise out of having a leather dashboard. If the stitching comes apart, or the leather cracks with age, like it eventually does on the seats, not only do your seats look worn then., but so does your once beautiful dashboard. With the dashboard being in direct sunlight more than the seats would be, especially with most people putting some degree of tint on their front windows to blend in with the factory tint in the back, the dash is subject to extreme UV rays and heat in most climates during hte summer months, and extreme cold in the winter. Also think about conditioning the leather to keep it as new as possible, but in the process creating glare on the windshield as the conditoner has created a sheen on the leather. I'm sure these factors, plus wanting to keep the Enclave to a certain degree at a price point, all contributed to the lack of leather. Quite frankly I'd rather a standard dash that will at least hold up for longer, my only gripe is that the darker portions of the interior are lighter in shade than the concept's. I really liked the dark brown of the concept's interior....but otherwise way to go GM! :CG_all:

I only wish the darker brown was on the production model..and maybe the leather stitching. Other than that, sweet.

221019[/snapback]

You know, I have a strong feeling the colors are exactly the same, but as with all GM production shots, they suck...the lighting is bad and makes the colors look horribly bland compared to the concept. I'm pretty sure real world photos will reveal that the colors are in fact the same. If that is the case then the interior will look worlds better.

I'm thinking that the Cocoa/Shale trim now used in the Lucerne is probably what's in the Enclave. In the concept Enclave, the upper trim in the rear compartment was the cocoa color. I like that better than the all shale color back there.

Although I didn't care for the Centieme, there was something appealing about the simplicity of the interior and dash. I liked the steering wheel actually.

But overall, not really much to complain about for the Enclave . . .