Variance

Potential For a More Detroit-Friendly Congress?

When Congress reconvenes in January, Detroit automakers will have a lot of friends in high places -- and that has foreign automakers a little wary.

With the return to power of Michigan's congressional Democrats -- who will head three key committees and have significant say over the agenda on Capitol Hill -- lawmakers are expected to revive several proposals aimed at helping the domestic industry.

Detroit Free Press

I hope GM doesn't bank on getting help from Congress. I'd rather see them keep straightening themselves out by themselves, without any governmental help.

I suppose if it means battling Japan and China on their unfair trade practices, then I'd be all for it.

When Congress reconvenes in January, Detroit automakers will have a lot of friends in high places -- and that has foreign automakers a little wary.

With the return to power of Michigan's congressional Democrats -- who will head three key committees and have significant say over the agenda on Capitol Hill -- lawmakers are expected to revive several proposals aimed at helping the domestic industry.

Detroit Free Press

229302[/snapback]

I hope so. I think the only way Ford and DCX can look for positive earnings and strength in the coming years, along with ultimately viability in the next decade, is to hope for some kind of tarriff to be passed.

EDIT: competition isn't getting any easier.

Edited by turbo200

LOL! The Dems may impose protection for Detriot but, they will raise gas taxes, help the unions raise wages and benefits and prevent buy-outs and lay-offs, not to mention what the enviromentalists in the DNC will do to Detriot again.

While the GOP were hands off when it came to Detriot. The DNC will have their hands in Detriots pocket while Toyota will be given free reign because, the Dems like their eco-friendliness. Remember which party's base buys the Prius and has never been in a Detriot vehicle unless when in a limo.

I keep saying and I will always say it. It does not matter if it's Democrats or Republicans NOTHING will be done to help. As long as career politicians are in charge nothing will be done unless it is to said politician's gain. They care not for the people that vote them in, the industries that are ailing in this country, or the overall good of this country unless they can financially and politically gain from something.

Until we get career politicians out of power NOTHING will get done. That is unless you consider bickering endlessly and taking pot shots at each other and stealing your hard earned dollars getting something done.

Detriot has no allies in DC these days, their best hope is to dump the unions then may be the GOP msy listen if they are lucky. Right now it matters little to both parties. Its gonna take an automsker going down before anybody lifts a finger.

I keep saying and I will always say it. It does not matter if it's Democrats or Republicans NOTHING will be done to help. As long as career politicians are in charge nothing will be done unless it is to said politician's gain. They care not for the people that vote them in, the industries that are ailing in this country, or the overall good of this country unless they can financially and politically gain from something.

Until we get career politicians out of power NOTHING will get done. That is unless you consider bickering endlessly and taking pot shots at each other and stealing your hard earned dollars getting something done.

Ditto. The ONLY hope is that the new members of congress maintain some backbone. They have some serious numbers. I would love to seem them pass congresional term limits. This country has no need for the likes of Ted Kennedy or Robert Byrd. We test people for a driver's license once they make it to a certain age but we let the someone who is a virtual vegetable like Strom Thurmond stay in congress. The question is whether the voters will pay attention long enough to have something like term limits pass. I doubt it.

i wouldn't get my hopes up. with kalifornia wackos like pelosi in power, toyota will most likely benefit the most.

I'd cut her some slack for a while. I like her tenaciousness. She's already made some stumbles but hopefully she'll find her footing. My most hopeful scenario is for the congress to remain split, and nothing gets accomplished in the next session and another slaughter happens in the '08 election. There *is* hope with Frist out. Good riddance. This past congress did nothing for anybody and they got their just reward.... political death.

I thought GM was in the business of building cars and trucks, not in the business of complaining who's in Congress or the White House...

I thought GM was in the business of building cars and trucks, not in the business of complaining who's in Congress or the White House...

+1

Someone has to be the scapegoat and so far people aren't latching on to Toyota being the cause of GM's problems, so why not use Congress which just went through massive turnover because of many unpopular decisions?

Someone has to be the scapegoat and so far people aren't latching on to Toyota being the cause of GM's problems, so why not use Congress which just went through massive turnover because of many unpopular decisions?

"Scapegoat" is just whiner talk. Nobody's asking for a scapegoat. They're asking for a level playing field. Besides, anyone who doesn't think government has a role in business is ignorant, a fool or both.

Yeah, politicians are easy scapegoats. Where I disagree with you is on the 'so far people aren't latching on to Toyota being the cause of GM's problems' part. People can only blame the Big 3 for the Big 3's problems: it was complacence and a bit of arrogance that got the Big 3 in trouble.

"Scapegoat" is just whiner talk. Nobody's asking for a scapegoat. They're asking for a level playing field. Besides, anyone who doesn't think government has a role in business is ignorant, a fool or both.

And how would that 'level playing field' be like? Edited by ZL-1

I heard Toyota was going to run for U.S. President in '08. It hasn't been announced yet, but they are expected to make the announcement during the first sales day of the new Tundra. They will be running in the Green Party. This would mark the first time in U.S. history that a corporation has ran for Presidency, and also will be the best financially backed Green Party candidate in history. Expect advertising to appear on TV, MySpace and the side of the White House (yeh, they have that much money).

Is Honda going to be the running mate? I dont think Toyota and Honda have enough trucks to appeal to the Super Duty loving right wing rednecks who continue to support dubya. They need a stronger, more "rugged" running mate.

Is Honda going to be the running mate? I dont think Toyota and Honda have enough trucks to appeal to the Super Duty loving right wing rednecks who continue to support dubya. They need a stronger, more "rugged" running mate.

No. Since they aren't trying to be something they're not (American). Toyota might get Bush's bother, Jeb Bush, though, as that'll score them some more points in Texas at least.

If Toyota becomes the next President, they can really push their trucks! :AH-HA_wink:

All kidding aside, you know what strikes me as funny? A lot of consumers don't buy American because they feel Japanese cars are simply better. If Toyota succeeds in making themselves "more American", will consumers stop buying them because of it?? That would be priceless.

Nothing will change in the next two years. A Democratic congress and Republican president will create gridlock.

You may see Detroit friendly policies if a pro-labor Democrat like John Edwards wins. However, the environmentalists are a very strong constituency for the Democrats. I know Barack Obama supports higher CAFE standards and Hillary Clinton probably does also.

At best, things will be neutral for Detroit; at worst, depending upon the environmentalists, things may get worse.

I'll leave it at this:

Congress traditionally gravitates to the place in which they can get the most financial gain (regardless of affiliation) and we ALL know who has the most money.

I wouldn't look for any help for Detroit from Uncle Sam anytime soon. If the last 'go round' is any indication of things to come, then I'd look for a whole lot of nothing.... at all.

At best, things will be neutral for Detroit; at worst, depending upon the environmentalists, things may get worse.

I think that the environmentalists would be very much against the use of past year credits, so this might work out in Ford and GM's favor.

Nothing will change in the next two years. A Democratic congress and Republican president will create gridlock.

You may see Detroit friendly policies if a pro-labor Democrat like John Edwards wins. However, the environmentalists are a very strong constituency for the Democrats. I know Barack Obama supports higher CAFE standards and Hillary Clinton probably does also.

I'd love to see gridlock in congress for 2 years. If it happens, it will be a good excuse to vote the rest of those damn useless, do nothing, self-serving foot draggers out. I can't wait.

Yeah, politicians are easy scapegoats. Where I disagree with you is on the 'so far people aren't latching on to Toyota being the cause of GM's problems' part. People can only blame the Big 3 for the Big 3's problems: it was complacence and a bit of arrogance that got the Big 3 in trouble.

And how would that 'level playing field' be like?

A level playing field would be one where labor costs are similar. This means Toyota gets unionized or the UAW completely fails.

A level playing field would be one where labor costs are similar. This means Toyota gets unionized or the UAW completely fails.

And, in your opinion, should the US Congress force Toyota to unionize?

This is going to seem far fetched, but cut me a little slack on this. The FDA(Food and Drug Administration) just declared genetically modified animals safe to eat. After a short period of time for public comment, regulations will be drafted to allow these products to enter our food supply as they should. The United States will attempt to export these food products. Our trading partners will set up prohibitions to the importation of these American products. The congress will retaliate by setting up restrictive tariffs on foreign made vehicles. GM and Ford will be saved.

Happy New Year all

I think there will be a shift in tax incentives from Red States to Blue States. I mean Toyota, Hyundai, and Nissan all profited from a congress that poured millions into the southern (red) states that have been trying to supplant the traditional auto manufacturing in the northern (blue) states. I think with the Democrats controlling the agenda in congress, we will see an end of the concerted effort to move northern manufacturing to the south. This will be good for GM and Ford. Even if the president is Republican, its still congress that decides who gets what money.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook