Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Repairable?

Cory Wolfe

Posted Image

That is a CD of mine. I'm not sure how it got like that. I hope it's repairable. It plays... sort of. The first half of the CD endlessly skips, jumps, etc. Only my computer actually plays it. The second half sounds unscathed for the most part. I'd like to atleast rip this CD onto my pc so I could make a new copy of it. I just wonder if I can repair it enough to be able to do that, atleast. Any suggestions?

Hmmmm.....that looks like it got ran over by a car. I suppose you could try one of those cd repair kits, it fixed one of my cd's a while back, but it was not that bad. The kit probably cost more than a new cd so it is probably not worth it though.

Edited by REDO1GPGT

I know how to rip it, I just haven't tried yet. Half of the songs are salvageable, but I don't know about the others. Was hoping I'd be able to salvage the CD itself... but as it's been noticed, it's pretty bad.

Fly, it's a Papa Roach CD. I may be ghey, but I'm not that ghey. Hanson... *shudders* :P

Furniture polish? Hmmm, I've heard someone using car polish, but I dunno, I'd say either flushing the toilet with one in it (I've heard that from TONS of people saying to works) to using the CD cleaner/repair thing. It might not get all the scratches out, but it might allow to to salvage the songs you like on the first half of the cd.

Microwave shiny side up always does the trick. after 10 seconds in the wave take out and smooth plastic with finger.

Edited by capriceman

Not only should you burn another CD, but you should put more stuff on there, too. Look at all that wasted space!

A lot of popular musicians record 10-12 2-4-minute songs and call it an album. I bought the first Linkin Park CD. The thing didn't even last the duration of my 45-minute commute. That's not an album... That's a demo tape.

Not only should you burn another CD, but you should put more stuff on there, too. Look at all that wasted space!

A lot of popular musicians record 10-12 2-4-minute songs and call it an album. I bought the first Linkin Park CD. The thing didn't even last the duration of my 45-minute commute. That's not an album... That's a demo tape.

It's still a damn good "demo tape!"

Microwave shiny side up always does the trick. after 10 seconds in the wave take out and smooth plastic with finger.

I've done that to Limp Bizkit CD's... but for the reason opposite of 'repairing them'.

Didn't hurt me much. They weren't mine, and the guy that owned them was drunk at the time, so it worked out.

Guest YellowJacket894

Sounds like you need to start using better Tools. (Available in manual or power.)

Edited by YellowJacket894

I've used car wax to buff out scratches like that before. Saved some DVDs that my kids attempted to destroy. Depending on how deep the scratches are, you may have to use something more abrasive than wax, like mild polish. As long as it's just scratches, you can fix it....

Guest YellowJacket894

No. He just needs an all new System. Tools are for losers. :P

Uh-huh. Well, at least I know Tool will probably still make at least one more album sometime from now.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you've watched at least one of these movies in your lifetime: Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. Give some respect to Tool's guitarist -- he's responsible for special effects in both those movies (not all, but he did do a lot of work on both movies). Daron Malakian, on the other hand, couldn't draw his way out of a cave. :neenerneener:

But, on a more serious note, if you do want to pursue a career as a musician, any person who thinks with their head and not their ass would know it's good to have another skill or job to fall back on during downtime or if the band goes bust. Serj Tankian has already started his post-SOAD career (Serjical Strike he calls it, which is a record label on which he will release a solo album and material by Buckethead among a bunch of others; some of his work will be on a soundtrack for a movie whose title I can't remember at the moment), which means SOAD is pretty much finished for the time being. Guess I'll see Malakian in the unemployment line before too long. Think he'd want to sell his SG Junior cheap? :D

SOAD only wishes they were as good as TOOL. :pokeowned:

:yes:

Why would Soad want to be good?

Fixed. :P

You guys do know that each and every one of David Hasselhoff's albums own SOAD's and TOOL's...

Why bother arguing about two meager bands...

SOAD may be meager, but Tool's not. :P

(To be fair, I do like SOAD. I own their first, self-titled album and Toxicity. They are a good listen, just not an all-time favorite.)

Uh-huh. Well, at least I know Tool will probably still make at least one more album sometime from now.

Oh yeah, I'm sure you've watched at least one of these movies in your lifetime: Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park. Give some respect to Tool's guitarist -- he's responsible for special effects in both those movies (not all, but he did do a lot of work on both movies). Daron Malakian, on the other hand, couldn't draw his way out of a cave. :neenerneener:

But, on a more serious note, if you do want to pursue a career as a musician, any person who thinks with their head and not their ass would know it's good to have another skill or job to fall back on during downtime or if the band goes bust. Serj Tankian has already started his post-SOAD career (Serjical Strike he calls it, which is a record label on which he will release a solo album and material by Buckethead among a bunch of others; some of his work will be on a soundtrack for a movie whose title I can't remember at the moment), which means SOAD is pretty much finished for the time being. Guess I'll see Malakian in the unemployment line before too long. Think he'd want to sell his SG Junior cheap? :D

SOAD may be meager, but Tool's not. :P

(To be fair, I do like SOAD. I own their first, self-titled album and Toxicity. They are a good listen, just not an all-time favorite.)

Haha... You're an evil little bitch, aren't you? :P

Say what you will, but I'm confident they'll be back. Give them some respect. Serj is a very innovative writer and vocalist with alot of talent. Daron is a better guitarist than most people would like to think... You don't need to do fancy guitar solos or special effects in movies to be considered a great guitarist. Shavo and John don't as much credit as Serj and Daron, but they're great as well, and just add to the overall sound.

As far as Tool goes, they put me to sleep honestly. Very few bands have that special something I can enjoy. Tool just doesn't have it. Do they suck? No. I would have to listen to all they're stuff, a few songs every know and then doesn't do any band justice anyways. It's not about how good a certain band is, it just happens that SOAD rocks. You may not see that since you have poor taste. Oops, did I just say that? :D

Guest YellowJacket894

Haha... You're an evil little bitch, aren't you? :P

Oh, what's that? I think you've been . . .

:pokeowned:

OWNED!!! :neenerneener::D

Say what you will, but I'm confident they'll be back.

Serj has a lot on his plate. Solo material, a record label to maintain . . . don't count on that anytime soon. If SOAD still has a desire to make new material and tour, there's going to be lots of downtime before that happens. Think five years.

Give them some respect.

Say what now? :P

I'm sure if you modified that statement, I'd get your overall opinion of Tool.

Guest YellowJacket894
Serj is a very innovative writer and vocalist with alot of talent.

Well, it's just a matter of swapping out names and you'd have my opinion on MJK.

And, yes, that is true of Serj. I don't think anyone can copy his vocals or do a decent job trying. They're pretty unique.

Daron is a better guitarist than most people would like to think...

Again it's a matter of swapping out names in that statement to get my opinion on Adam Jones.

As for Malakian, I do give him respect. Like Serj, his guitar work with SOAD has an unique sound that fits with the non-political part of the bands image.

You don't need to do fancy guitar solos or special effects in movies to be considered a great guitarist.

Agreed. But, for the record, being Kurt Cobain doesn't help much, either.

Shavo and John don't as much credit as Serj and Daron, but they're great as well, and just add to the overall sound.

Hmmmm . . . "add to the overall sound." It's just me, but I think every member should be a critical part of the band and not someone who can be replaced in five minutes with some guy who works at 7-11. Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey do more than "add to the overall sound." They are a part of that sound.

Does that mean John and Shavo are bad musicians? No. I just think they could contribute more and be a larger part of the band.

As far as Tool goes, they put me to sleep honestly.

Better stay the hell away from Prog-Rock then. :P

Very few bands have that special something I can enjoy.

Agreed. Of course, every band you listen to is an aquired taste, even if you clicked with it in five minutes.

Tool just doesn't have it. Do they suck? No. I would have to listen to all they're stuff, a few songs every now and then doesn't do any band justice anyways. It's not about how good a certain band is, it just happens that SOAD rocks. You may not see that since you have poor taste. Oops, did I just say that? :D

I have bad taste? Don't throw stones, man. Your house will collapse. :P:D

I bet it's RAFI.... :P

Serj has a lot on his plate. Solo material, a record label to maintain . . . don't count on that anytime soon. If SOAD still has a desire to make new material and tour, there's going to be lots of downtime before that happens. Think five years.

I'm sure if you modified that statement, I'd get your overall opinion of Tool.

I didn't say they'd be back overnight. Will they, though? Yes. You're stereotyping based on what happens with other bands. This isn't GNR, you know. :P

Hmmmm . . . "add to the overall sound." It's just me, but I think every member should be a critical part of the band and not someone who can be replaced in five minutes with some guy who works at 7-11. Justin Chancellor and Danny Carey do more than "add to the overall sound." They are a part of that sound.

Does that mean John and Shavo are bad musicians? No. I just think they could contribute more and be a larger part of the band.

Agreed. Of course, every band you listen to is an aquired taste, even if you clicked with it in five minutes.

I have bad taste? Don't throw stones, man. Your house will collapse.

That's not at all what I meant. Add, as in each member has something to add, their own uniqueness, and it all adds to the sound. There could never be another John or a another Shavo. Like with Serj and Daron, they have their own sound and without it, Soad isn't Soad.

And yes, Tool puts me to sleep. It has nothing to do with what genre they are. I can easily listen to a Johnny Cash song and be more entertained. Tool, if you ask me, is like a bunch of other bands out there. It's like a little of this band, a little of that band, a little of that old worn out band, and presto; you have Tool. Do they have their own sound? Yes, but it's no Soad by any means. Tool simply doesn't have what I can appreciate. I have no idea what that may be, but they don't have it. It's not specific to genre, as I said... I listen to many different genres, not just hard rock.

As for having bad taste... you're straight. What did you think? :D

Guest YellowJacket894
I didn't say they'd be back overnight. Will they, though? Yes. You're stereotyping based on what happens with other bands. This isn't GNR, you know. :P

I didn't say that they were gone for good. I was just saying there's going to be a lot of downtime before they decide to produce another album. (Which, actually, can be a good thing that can benefit the band.)

And yes, Tool puts me to sleep. It has nothing to do with what genre they are.

It might, actually. It's hard for some people to listen to a song that lasts multiple tracks and strings the energy out between long periods of time when the band they're more accustomed to packs it all in within a matter of five minutes or less. Prog-Rock bands tend to do the former a lot -- string the energy out. If you listen to -- I don't know . . . say, a lot of Hardcore bands, like Sworn Enemy, and then start listening to King Crimson, I know you'd hate King Crimson because they do that and you have to wait for that energy because it doesn't get in your face. It builds, falls off, builds . . . The band likes to do quirky things. (Hope I made sense there.)

Tool, if you ask me, is like a bunch of other bands out there. It's like a little of this band, a little of that band, a little of that old worn out band, and presto; you have Tool.

Actually, no. Tool has been around for a long time -- since 1990. If anything, a lot of other bands sound like them. Not the other way around.

Just what song have you listened to by them that gave you that impression?

Do they have their own sound? Yes, but it's no Soad by any means.

System is System. Tool is Tool. :P

Tool simply doesn't have what I can appreciate. I have no idea what that may be, but they don't have it.

Well, I can relate to that when it comes to other bands. Why people like bands like Panic! At The God Damn Disco or Sunny Day f@#king Real Estate, I'll never know.

It's not specific to genre, as I said... I listen to many different genres, not just hard rock.

So do I. My music diet is mostly Rock and it's sub-genres, but I like to balance that out with some good old Blues. Johnny Cash doesn't hurt either.

As for having bad taste... you're straight. What did you think? :D

So much for a level playing field. :P

SOAD and Tool both suck.

f@#k your couch, Satty. f@#k your couch. :P

It might, actually. It's hard for some people to listen to a song that lasts multiple tracks and strings the energy out between long periods of time when the band they're more accustomed to packs it all in within a matter of five minutes or less. Prog-Rock bands tend to do the former a lot -- string the energy out. If you listen to -- I don't know . . . say, a lot of Hardcore bands, like Sworn Enemy, and then start listening to King Crimson, I know you'd hate King Crimson because they do that and you have to wait for that energy because it doesn't get in your face. It builds, falls off, builds . . . The band likes to do quirky things. (Hope I made sense there.)

No... I like Avenged Sevenfold too. Half of their songs last 8 minutes or more and most are longer than 5 minutes. That has nothing to do it.

Actually, no. Tool has been around for a long time -- since 1990. If anything, a lot of other bands sound like them. Not the other way around.

Just what song have you listened to by them that gave you that impression?

I just hear whatever is on K-Rock. But as I said earlier, I have to listen to most of a band's work before I can accurately judge them. Basically the radio friendly songs and obviously they're not always an accurate representation of a band's sound. But what I've heard, just sounds like a mix of a bunch of different bands.

System is System. Tool is Tool.

That's what I was saying... With a bit of bias for Soad. :P

Well, I can relate to that when it comes to other bands. Why people like bands like Panic! At The God Damn Disco or Sunny Day f@#king Real Estate, I'll never know.

I know what you mean. Alot of bands suck and are unoriginal, but the Emo kids eat them up. Haha.

So do I. My music diet is mostly Rock and it's sub-genres, but I like to balance that out with some good old Blues. Johnny Cash doesn't hurt either.

That's still similar... The use of a guitar is still there with Blues or Johnny Cash. I mean, I can listen to alot of stuff completely opposite of rock. Songs with the use of piano, keyboard, synthesizer, electronics, etc.

So much for a level playing field. :P

Not my fault straight guys don't have taste. Just ask CJ about me and that... :lol:

Guest YellowJacket894

No... I like Avenged Sevenfold too. Half of their songs last 8 minutes or more and most are longer than 5 minutes. That has nothing to do it.

Guess I must be confused on what you mean by "puts me to sleep." When someone goes "Oh, this song is long -- change the track," or "This song puts me to sleep," or "This is boring," I tend to associate that with song length.

I just hear whatever is on K-Rock. But as I said earlier, I have to listen to most of a band's work before I can accurately judge them. Basically the radio friendly songs and obviously they're not always an accurate representation of a band's sound. But what I've heard, just sounds like a mix of a bunch of different bands.

Like what other bands?

Hmmm . . . if you're bored and have nothing better to do, here a few mp3s of some of Tool's stuff. Do what you want with them. The selection here is not what I would have really put up, but it's all I can really find that works. I have the same connection you have, and it sometimes takes fifteen minutes max to get these to work/download. If you want to keep them, just go to file, save page as, and save to my music. Or not. Whatever. :P

Link ("Hush")

Link ("jimmy")

Link ("You Lied")

That's what I was saying... With a bit of bias for Soad. :P

Of course. :D

I know what you mean. Alot of bands suck and are unoriginal, but the Emo kids eat them up. Haha.

I could start a whole topic on that -- idiot trends and people who do idiot things to stay trendy. Emo . . . what a lame and retarded trend. Yeah, cutting yourself is a real bright idea. Wearing girl pants is a real bright idea, sure. You want to spend fifty bucks on a hair cut you could have gotten for free by not combing your hair in the morning, uh-huh. Your rich, spoiled, and can get any damn thing you want and yet you want to cry in your pillow, alright. :rolleyes:

Thank God this forum is devoid of those numb$h! twats. (Of course, if you're Emo, trendy, and like cars, you'd probably be over at Temple of VTEC, crying and bitching about how Daddy Megabucks won't shell out $350 for the new headers for your Civic. Guess the Cavalier not really taking off is a blessing in a way, huh?)

That's still similar... The use of a guitar is still there with Blues or Johnny Cash.

See, I play guitar. So I guess the instrument is an integral part of what music I listen to. I could write more on why, but, ah, I've bored you to tears enough already. :P

Guess I must be confused on what you mean by "puts me to sleep." When someone goes "Oh, this song is long -- change the track," or "This song puts me to sleep," or "This is boring," I tend to associate that with song length.

Hmmm . . . if you're bored and have nothing better to do, here a few mp3s of some of Tool's stuff. Do what you want with them. The selection here is not what I would have really put up, but it's all I can really find that works. I have the same connection you have, and it sometimes takes fifteen minutes max to get these to work/download. If you want to keep them, just go to file, save page as, and save to my music. Or not. Whatever. :P

Link ("Hush")

Link ("jimmy")

Link ("You Lied")

15 minutes? That's twice as fast as it takes for me. Song downloads easily take a half hour or more for me. My connection with PeoplePC is 26.4kbps. Songs download at 3kb/second max. Hmmph. I might download on Limewire sometime to see if I've heard them before... but if they suck, you owe me a half hour for each. :D

SOAD is awesome...

Chop Suey!

Cigaro

= pwnage

See? Someone gets it. :P

Guest YellowJacket894

15 minutes? That's twice as fast as it takes for me. Song downloads easily take a half hour or more for me. My connection with PeoplePC is 26.4kbps. Songs download at 3kb/second max. Hmmph. I might download on Limewire sometime to see if I've heard them before... but if they suck, you owe me a half hour for each. :D

26.4? Dang. That's pretty slow. I usually get a connection anywhere between 44.0 to 48.0. :P

If you're going to go to Limewire, skip on what I linked up to. Check out these instead: "Ticks & Leeches," "Hooker with a Penis," and "Bottom."

:lol: Uh... nice names. Atleast SOAD gives their crazier songs interesting names... like "Cigaro". :P

Dude, have you ever blasted Cigaro out of your window while driving by people? I've done it a few times...their reactions are priceless! I have Hypnotize, Mesmerize, and Toxicity on my comp. Man that sucks hard for downloading. It usually takes a couple minutes for me.

Guest YellowJacket894

:lol: Uh... nice names. At least SOAD gives their crazier songs interesting names... like "Cigaro". :P

A psudeo-Spanish-English-Spanglish-what-the-f@#k word? Yeah. Uh-huh. Real cryptic. :P

You know, I like listening to demo $h!. Really lets me get into a band a bit more, lets me catch their vibe. Come to think of it, I'll think I'll do a bit of digging. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find some old $h! from them from 1995 or something.

A psudeo-Spanish-English-Spanglish-what-the-f@#k word? Yeah. Uh-huh. Real cryptic. :P

You know, I like listening to demo $h!. Really lets me get into a band a bit more, lets me catch their vibe. Come to think of it, I'll think I'll do a bit of digging. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll find some old $h! from them from 1995 or something.

Why dig? :P Download these: Temper, Blue, Johnny, Dam, Honey, and Marmalade.

As for the name... Cigaro. It is cryptic. :D

Edited by blackviper8891

Why dig? :P Download these: Temper, Patterns, Starlit Eyes, Blue, Johnny, Dam, Honey, and Marmalade.

Some more I forgot about, plus explanations on those I didn't...

Friik (two versions "Friik!" and "Friik", the first is from Soad's very first demo, the second is a newer version from what I've read; both hard to find, I have the first)

The Metro (two versions, the demo and one that was later released for a soundtrack; the latter is easy to find, unsure about the former, I have the latter)

Dam (off Soad's second demo; not as hard to find, but I don't have this one)

Honey (off Soad's third demo; not hard to find at all, I have it)

Temper (also off Soad's third demo; not hard to find either, but the only versions I've found have some of the song cut off, I have it)

Marmalade (can be found on special version's of the their first album; easy to find, I have it)

Storaged )can also be found on special version's of the their first album; somewhat easy to find, I also have it)

Johnny (can be found on special version's of Toxicity; somewhat easy to find, I have it)

Virginity (also known as "Cherry" was a leaked song that was supposed to be on STA! but was cut; sort of hard to find, I have it)

Fortress (also known as "Forever" or "Outer Space" was also a leaked and cut song for STA!; sort of hard to find as well, I have it)

Blue (don't have any info on it; its easy to find, I have it)

Snowblind (Black Sabbath cover; easy to find, I have it)

There are more out there, but those are the only ones I can vouch for.

Edited by blackviper8891