Sign in to follow this  
Delta Force79

Liberty Spied...

Not very original... more handsome than the old one though.

So, the Commander blew chunks and they figured they'd make the Liberty into a smaller Commander?

So they killed the Commander so they could use it's styling on the Liberty? I thought they killed the Commander because it was ugly and didn't sell :P

This is a lot better looking than that Grand Wagoneer wannabe :pokeowned:

Edited by Delta Force79

The Commander sold 88,497 units last year.....and was a complete failure (in haters' eyes). The Honda Ridgeline sold like 60,000 units, and was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Commander is built on the same platform and line as the Grand Cherokee, and together they sold 227,645. They definitely got more people to buy Jeeps, with little additional investment.

The Commander sold 88,497 units last year.....and was a complete failure (in haters' eyes). The Honda Ridgeline sold like 60,000 units, and was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The Commander is built on the same platform and line as the Grand Cherokee, and together they sold 227,645. They definitely got more people to buy Jeeps, with little additional investment.

with $8,000-$10,000 discounts (at least in this part of the country)... those Commander sales weren't painless. That's in its first year too. GM W-Body cars sell more with less than half that discount.

As for the Liberty remodel... It's now the Cherokee that Jeep needed 5 years ago.

I like it...a lot. The look wears ten times better on the smaller, affordable truck. The proportions help, but also this minimalist blocky look works on a cheap truck. Memo to Jeep brand imaging guys: techno exec lux sports utility costing $50k cannot function on the same utalitarian look a 25k work playtoy truck can work on.

Edited by turbo200

not liking the liberty. never did. its a very wussy name.

I like the commander. why can't dcx just limit themselves to 30,000 commanders or so a year instead of cancelling them?

I'm not a big fan. It looks like they slapped together the Nitro, Patriot and Commander and called it a day.

Breaking news! Chrysler has just released the picture of the Liberty's interior:

Posted Image

:ph34r::P

:rotflmao:

Breaking news! Chrysler has just released the picture of the Liberty's interior:

Posted Image

:ph34r::P

Good one Northie :rotflmao:

Don't laugh because they probably thought about using that interior.

I have the real one here. It's a heavily modified version of the Dodge Nitro interior.

Posted Image

I prefer the old Wrangler wanna-be look, to this new Commander wanna-be one. I think the box look is pulled off better with larger vehicles (H1, Commander).

I have the real one here. It's a heavily modified version of the Dodge Nitro interior.

Posted Image

ROTFLMAO!

i drove a nitro at dcx ride and drive. HORRIBLE interior. It's on par with a Chevy Celebrity. Easily the worst interior in its price class for cars these days. Terrible.

It wears the Cherokee look much better than teh Commander does...which makes sense since it's about the size of the Cherokee...they just need to rename it "Cherokee" now. Anyway, I like it a lot...best new product yet from jeep besides the Wrangler as far as looks are concerned. I wonder if the interior really will only have slight changed from the Nitro...we'll see soon I guess. As for people's complaints about the interior...function follows form...it's a Sport Utility Vehicle in the truest sense of the phrase. It may not have the best plastics...but anyone buying a Nitro is not intending to glide their ass across the dash to ensure smoothness and softness.

Edited by Dodgefan

Posted Image

Heh yea having seen the 08 Liberty interior in person....thats pretty much it. The dash is somewhat different though.

It may not have the best plastics...but anyone buying a Nitro is not intending to glide their ass across the dash to ensure smoothness and softness.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't have better plastics. There's a big difference between having decent plastics and piss-poor ones. The Nitro's plastics are piss-poor, and there's absolutely no excuse for a vehicle of it's price to have such a cheap interior. Not having the best plastics is not the Nitro's problem. Not having average plastics is the problem.

ROTFLMAO!

i drove a nitro at dcx ride and drive. HORRIBLE interior. It's on par with a Chevy Celebrity. Easily the worst interior in its price class for cars these days. Terrible.

Edmunds:

Interior Design and Special Features

Inside, the Nitro has a somewhat industrial feel, though faux aluminum accents brighten the place up a bit. Materials quality is average for this class, with only a few plastics that stand out as low-grade.

thecarconnection.com:

Likeable cabin

In the cabin, there's much to like. It has a chunky, utilitarian feel, but in a modern way rather than an antiquated one. The central console is well laid out, with three big ventilation system knobs below an audio unit that's easy to use and has big buttons. The brushed aluminum surround looks right for the car.

and the best one....Auto123.com:

Same thing goes for inside. The interior is not prissy and overstyled like some cute utes from other carmakers. Geometrically, its very jagged and raw looking, with circles and squares comprising the door panels, seats and much of the dash. It looks industrial, more like sitting inside of some sort of giant piece of machinery than a vehicle. There are heated leather seats are trimmed with a white on black color scheme which is mirrored in the gauges. The parking brake handle is shaped like the grip on a machete, and hard plastic is the construction material of choice for most of the inside.

Certainly, one could get into a higher quality cabin for the price, but none feel this tough and ready to work. Besides, real men don't care too much about soft touch materials and visually soothing design elements. Martha Stewart drives a Lexus anyhow.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't have better plastics. There's a big difference between having decent plastics and piss-poor ones. The Nitro's plastics are piss-poor, and there's absolutely no excuse for a vehicle of it's price to have such a cheap interior. Not having the best plastics is not the Nitro's problem. Not having average plastics is the problem.

Edmunds:

Inside, the Nitro has a somewhat industrial feel, though faux aluminum accents brighten the place up a bit. Materials quality is average for this class, with only a few plastics that stand out as low-grade.

Same thing goes for inside. The interior is not prissy and overstyled like some cute utes from other carmakers. Geometrically, its very jagged and raw looking, with circles and squares comprising the door panels, seats and much of the dash. It looks industrial, more like sitting inside of some sort of giant piece of machinery than a vehicle. There are heated leather seats are trimmed with a white on black color scheme which is mirrored in the gauges. The parking brake handle is shaped like the grip on a machete, and hard plastic is the construction material of choice for most of the inside.

Certainly, one could get into a higher quality cabin for the price, but none feel this tough and ready to work. Besides, real men don't care too much about soft touch materials and visually soothing design elements. Martha Stewart drives a Lexus anyhow.

Northstar, you just got :pokeowned: hardcore.

Also, I've sat inside a Nitro. They are average...and that's just fine. They're certainly not as low grade as most of you seem to think.

Edmunds:

Ok, so they neither hated it or liked it.

thecarconnection.com:

Likeable cabin

In the cabin, there's much to like. It has a chunky, utilitarian feel, but in a modern way rather than an antiquated one. The central console is well laid out, with three big ventilation system knobs below an audio unit that's easy to use and has big buttons. The brushed aluminum surround looks right for the car.

Very well, they like the utilitarian feel. I'm not sure the center stack is very well laid out, but whatever. I'm also not quite sure that "brushed aluminum" belongs in a utilitarian car... that would seem to belong in something sporty to me.

There's a difference between feeling tough and ready to work and cheap and ready to fall apart. I fail to see how the cheap plastic can feel so substantial to them. And, anyone who is smart enough to realize they're spending $20+k on a vehicle should care that the interior isn't a horrible place to be. Maybe it's "cool" and "utilitarian" at first, but can you imagine driving around in such a bucket of crap for more than a week?

Nitro review

Car&Driver:

It’s less flashy inside. The supportive two-tone seats with bright red inserts will get your attention in an otherwise tasteful and well-executed interior. Switchgear is properly placed, and despite a narrow footwell, leg- and footroom are plentiful. Behind the second row is the slick Load ’n Go floor that aids packing big, bulky items into the 50-percent-larger cargo area.

I guess people just repeating how bad Chrysler interiors are, is becoming one of those myths like the Loch Ness Monster and Toyota's superior "quality?".

The RAV4 and CR-V look just as crappy (if not more) and plastic to me:

RAV4

Posted Image

CR-V

Posted Image

Northstar, you just got :pokeowned: hardcore.

Also, I've sat inside a Nitro. They are average...and that's just fine. They're certainly not as low grade as most of you seem to think.

Yes, I just got owned hardcore because Edmunds thinks the interior is average and I think it's crap.

I see you conveniently didn't highlight auto123's opinion: "hard plastic is the construction material of choice for most of the inside." Looks like I just got owned there too. :rolleyes:

Apparently some people have different thoughts about interior quality than others, and perhaps my opinion about what's a quality interior and what's junk is a bit more demanding than yours.

It's my opinion that the only people getting "owned" in the case of the Nitro are those willing to plunk down $20-30k so that they can ride around in a pile of crap.