A 1983 Cutlass Ciera...

I didn't even know they put Diesels in these...

Posted Image

1983 Cutlass Ciera 4.3 Diesel

Must've gotten rather good mileage when...you know...when it ran...

And if I ever had lots and lots of money, I would want to restore stupid ugly cars like these. Can you imagine having a garage of 1980s Diesel Oldsmobiles? Yeah, not too appealing, but unique nonetheless.

Awsome find, Fly. :)

I'm on a Diesel Cadillac Bustleback kick curently.

Posted Image

Actually, apparently the 4.3 did ok as far as reliability was concerned it was the 5.7 that had most of the reliability issues. 0-60 was measured by scientists with carbon dating equipment. Speaking of carbon, you'd usually get a layer a couple inches thick on the whole rear of the car. Mpg was in the mid 40s.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Sorry to change the subject somewhat, but what diesel engine was offered in the 1981 Buick Regal? There's a used car dealer around with the following advertisement: 1981 BUICK REGAL 2Dr: Blue, Auto, Factory Diesel Car, 1 Owner, Only 73K, Garaged, Collectable Car, $3550. Just wondering if this car is anything special?

I'd imagine it would be the Rocket-350 based Diesel. I might be wrong though.

for a while there GM thought Diesels were God's gift to 80s cars... now they

just do not bother to make ANY diesel cars here in the USA. :angry:

The one that would be REALLY hard to find would be:

'84-'85 Olds Toronado Caliente with the Diesel...

I think I have only seen a handful at that generation Toro Diesels... let alone a Caliente!

Would you believe I've seen one. But not only was it a Toro Caliente Diesel... it was a Toro Caliente Diesel with an H&E conversion!

I would love to have a collection of oddball cars like this, Maybe A Cutless Ciera Holiday coupe, Early 80s Delta 88 Holiday coupe with buckets and console, Omega SX with plastic fenders and flexible nose, X-car Buick Skylark Sport Coupe, 88 Buick Lesabre Ttype Coupe, Celebrity VR, 78 mailbu Coupe with v8 and a four speed manual and other stuff like that.

The one that would be REALLY hard to find would be:

'84-'85 Olds Toronado Caliente with the Diesel...

I think I have only seen a handful at that generation Toro Diesels... let alone a Caliente!

When I was a kid, the guy across the street from my grandparents had a Toro diesel. It was not a Caliente... I know that much, but not sure of the exact year. I remember it was dark brown, and I thought it was the coolest looking car I ever saw ...until he started it up one day and it sounded like a big rig. He also kept a blue/white '71 442 convertible in the garage :thumbsup: Edited by AM6_Cutlass

I would love to have a collection of oddball cars like this, Maybe A Cutless Ciera Holiday coupe, Early 80s Delta 88 Holiday coupe with buckets and console, Omega SX with plastic fenders and flexible nose, X-car Buick Skylark Sport Coupe, 88 Buick Lesabre Ttype Coupe, Celebrity VR, 78 mailbu Coupe with v8 and a four speed manual and other stuff like that.

Cutlass Ciera Holiday coupes are awsome, though maybe im a little bias.

A Celebrity VR? I've never seen one of those.

I've seen Eurosports though...

The Eurosport VR had "AMG" type styling. They were fairly rare. The FWD A-bodies were ok cars, but they just hung around way past their prime.

Posted Image

And GMTruck74, that sounds odd--I don't think the '81 Regal offered a diesel option. I knew someone with an '81 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham with the 5.7 liter diesel engine. I really admired that car, but it was traded in for a Calais later on.

I drove an '84 Caliente Toro Diesel, loved it. Black/red leather/red top/sunroof/Bose back before Pimp my ride was a TV show.

The rare one to find would be a '79 deisel 4.3L v8 Cutlass fastback coupe with a 5 speed manual.

I worked on one back in the day, you didnt dare stop at a speed bump, because it didnt have the power to get over it with out a running start.

Actually the 4.3 v6 in a Ciera was a nice package that would get 30+ mpg on the hwy, I had one of those as well FE3 equipped driving thru the hills or Arkansas was a lot of fun. The 4.3 v6 in a Cutlass Supreme was a slug but got great MPG.

The Buick would have been a 5.7 v8 the 4.3 v6 wasnt released until 83.

Remember you could get the 5.7 Olds diesel in a '79 chevy pick up as well.

Edited by kdelong442

This thread has more White Elephants than an LSD trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to change the subject somewhat, but what diesel engine was offered in the 1981 Buick Regal? There's a used car dealer around with the following advertisement: 1981 BUICK REGAL 2Dr: Blue, Auto, Factory Diesel Car, 1 Owner, Only 73K, Garaged, Collectable Car, $3550. Just wondering if this car is anything special?

The 4.3 liter V6 diesel was offered from 1982-1985 so the Regal would have the 5.7 liter smoker V8.