Bill O'Reilly on domestic cars

pow

So a few hours ago I was flipping channels between Emeril's Moules a la Mariniere recipe (blegh) and SPEED's Forza Motorsport Challenge infomerical-cum-reality-show, when I happened to come across The O'Reilly Factor. Bill's sharp inward-pointed eyebrows and self-confident smirk just beckoned me to stay a bit longer. And so I did.

As popular in these shows, there was a riveting headline. Today's was "Liberals Against Raising Fuel Economy Standards," which was accompanied by a montage of both Pontiac G6 and pump meter stock footage.

First he lambasted American automobile manufactuers over an alleged refusal to reduce fuel consumption. To prove his point, he showed Ron Gettelfinger expressing concern over higher CAFE standards. This apparently demonstrates the hypocrisy of liberals like Al Gore, who obviously have control over what one another says.

He proceeds to share a heart-warming story about his car-shopping adventure: "My car is six years old, so I need a new one. And I want to buy American. But I can't find a single American car that gets more than 20 MPG. I think all cars should get 30 MPG. The Europeans, the Japanese... "

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,25691,00.html

Edited by empowah

Wait...So, since when are liberals against CAFE standards? There aren't many liberals that I know of that own oil companies. Heck, it wasn't until Bush's march through the Middle East that conservatives really started getting serious on the issue.

And were the Heck is he shopping...Lots that deal specifically in Used 5000lb 70's and 80's cars.

Just another example of the media in general ganging up on Detroit. Toronto's own National Post wrote an article yesterday about global warming and they cited the Prius as an example of Toyota being a responsible company. No mention of their new truck plant in Texas, of course. Toyota has become synonomous with reliability, great gas mileage and low emissions in the minds of many lazy writers that actually know nothing about the auto industry.

I want to know why these lazy-assed media guys have not bothered to go to Japan and get to the root of all evil: MITI and their complicity in feathering the beds of Japanese companies while they assault North America. There truly is a story of epic proportions, but that would involve actual investigation by guys who get an easier job of it simply blasting Detroit.

Can someone get us an email address? More bad news folks, the Tundra made the cover of Fortune 500 magazine, old glory and all as Toyota takes the #3 spot in America's most admired companies list. I don't have the link but visit a book store over the next few days and you'll see it.

Edited by I hope GMRULES again

Instead of email bombing the guy, perhaps taking a civil approach might be the better way to reach O'Reilly. You never know, if you actually email him some real answers about Domestic vehicles, and a list of suggested cars that will attain the 30mpg threshold, he might listen, or even perhaps mention it on his program.

The guy holds lots of influence, so this could be worthwhile.

I understand the media's attention to Toyota's hybrids, it's a sexy story. It's unfortunate that they don't write more about how the hybrids don't acheive their fuel ratings, but non-industry people don't understand that stuff. Yeah, it's not a fair to make Toyota saints over their hybrids, but that's why GM has to be a leader in technological innovation, because that's the side benefit.

But what really bothers me is when they talk about how the domestics shove large pickups and SUVs onto the market. Fact is, Toyota not only wants to be able to sell that many trucks, but is actively promoting the fact that they are dumping money and resources into doing just that. Why hasn't that story been told with a headline like, "Toyota Pushing For More Gas Guzzlers."

Captain, you obviously never watched O'Reilly. There is NOTHING civil about his approach, his thinking or his tactics. If you dare to point out he is wrong... WTF am I thinking... in his head, he is never wrong, hence the need for a Duramax to haul him around.

This is a guy you don't want vocal about buying a domestic. He's the kind of asshole that would get a recall notice for the wrong tire PSI sticker on the door jam and blow it up so big on his program, that he would would do more damage than good. I don't need a person like that on my side, he's an infectious disease.

This thread title scared me. I was expecting him to be in support of the American auto industry. Thank God he's not! I don't want this f***ing retard to be advocating for GM and Ford because I think that would turn me over to foreign cars. I hate him that much.