Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Sketch Competition #16 - Alpha Pontiac/NG G6

Welcome to Sketch Competition #16!

Posted Image

We've heard growing rumblings of Pontiac looking to migrate the majority of its lineup to rear-wheel drive platforms in the coming years and one of the prime candidates for this transition is the G6. As the current front-wheel drive Epsilon structure enters its twilight years and a new rear-wheel drive Alpha platform in the works, now is the perfect time to start considering a move that would certainly ignite much enthusiasm for Pontiac's most popular model.

Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to design the next-generation Pontiac G6 on the RWD Alpha platform. Take into consideration the wide variety of Pontiac traits available before you and remember that this is a great opportunity to reinvent some of them. Some have talked about Solstice-inspired design language or perhaps a front fascia the recalls classic Ponchos of the 1960s Or maybe you want something thoroughly-modern. Also, feel free to explore bodystyles with sedans, coupes, and wagons/hatches. Its all up to you. Remember, though, this car must be RWD and intermediate/mid-size. Your sketch should include at minimum 2 (two) of the following:

-3/4 Front View
-3/4 Rear View
-Interior View

Remember, people will be voting based on the overall presentation of your entry, so the more views, the better, including ones not specifically listed above. Also, if you want to include special features, by all means point them out!

Aside from 800x600 size guidelines, remember this must be a GM vehicle.

The winner will recieve a GM-related prize!

Deadline is Friday, April 13th@ 11:59PM your local time.

Good luck! :CG_all:

Aw man, Mr. Fly, I am excited about this one, for sure. Pontiac DNA deserves a continuation, and this platform sounds perfect. I cannot wait to see what some of our artists come up with.

This design is inspired by the Grand Am, which is the fore runner of the G6. I always liked the beveled intakes on the Grand AM and the loss of that feature on the G6 and Solstice makes the newer cars look less substantial and less sporty, imo. So this is not an intentional "tweak" of the Trans Am resurrection drawing.

However, the artist is often the least objective critic of his work. I did lots of sketches for the resurrection project and some of those designe cues that I mulled over may have gotten stuck in my head. By the way, I wish I had posted the first drawing I did. It was better than the one I posted which, in retrospect, looks pretty bad. :)

Don't forget the SRX. I just read a Car and Driver in which the SRX got 2nd place out of 6 luxury SUVs, including the Mercedes ML and the BMW X5. Only reason the Acura MDX won was because it was cheaper.

Anyway, let's un-derail. Back to the competition!

I'll tender an entry... but I am kinda busy right now so it probably won't be as extensive an effort as before...

Edited by dwightlooi

I wanted to add another submission but I'll be out of town on business until Saturday, so this is just a sketch. Didn't have time to color it. And sorry about the graph paper. I used it to help me keep parallel lines parallel. But when I scan the drawing, I can't get rid of the grid.

Anyway, this is another Pontiac, recalling the old full-size coupes and sedans of the late 60's with their cool rear fender skirts. This is a full size coupe. I tried to pull in some design elements from the Grand Prix sedans of the mid-90's. The light bar from that model is inverted here in the twin vertical lighting elements.

Comments?

Posted Image

Edited by JBarraxJr

OK, I made it...

Its not as refined as I'll like and I did not have time to do the interior... but here it is.

The 2010 Alpha platform G6 design mission is simple:-

(1) Make it RWD.

(2) Make the BMW E90 3-series look stodgy and dated.

(3) Make it a well proportioned small-midsize sedan compatible with an expected wheelbase of ~110".

I know that Pontiac fans "need" extravagance and I need to make up for my total disdain for those Nostrils found on some Pontiac hoods. So I threw in a few gimmicks of sorts. The first is the side intakes inspired by today's latest jet fighter the F-35 Lightning II. Of course the G6 won't go supersonic so the Diverterless Supersonic Intake (DSI) styling with its characteristic "bump" is just a gimmick. Well, they put fins on cars in the 50s :rolleyes: . The second is an exhaust outlet that is a huge contoured slot spanning the entire the rear diffuser.

Posted Image

(Combined both front and rear views into one picture, didn't really change the content)

Edited by dwightlooi

Hey dwight, you did great on it except one little detail that's bugging me; the partition between the two grille holes on the nose is a little skewed to the passenger side. I love the concept otherwise and my eyes keep going to the crooked grille.

Don't forget the SRX. I just read a Car and Driver in which the SRX got 2nd place out of 6 luxury SUVs, including the Mercedes ML and the BMW X5. Only reason the Acura MDX won was because it was cheaper.

Anyway, let's un-derail. Back to the competition!

i think you need to go back and re-read the article. price was NOT the reason it won. and by the way, it was a CLEAR winner in 'their' minds.

fyi - I'd buy the SRX before the MDX.

oh, and by the way, the MB and BMW were 6cyl and the SRX was V8. (optioning V8's in the germans would have priced them too high relative to the others in the comparo)

Edited by 97regalGS

Hey dwight, you did great on it except one little detail that's bugging me; the partition between the two grille holes on the nose is a little skewed to the passenger side. I love the concept otherwise and my eyes keep going to the crooked grille.

LOL... I know. The butt end on the front quarter view -- especially the tail light representation and boundary lines isn't exactly to proper proportions either. But there was a deadline for 11:59pm friday and I didn't have time to do as many iterations of proportionality refinements as I'll like. Normally, it takes me about 10 to 12 repetitions to get it right. This sketch had about five.

Since the deadline's been extended, can I polish my second entry? I rushed it to make the April 13 deadline.

You should be able to do whatever you want. It won't be fair or logical for the new deadline to apply only to people who were late on the original schedule.

Personally, I am done... too busy with other stuff right now to do proportionality refinement chores.

OK, I made it...

Its not as refined as I'll like and I did not have time to do the interior... but here it is.

(1) Make it RWD.

(3) Make it a well proportioned small-midsize sedan compatible with an expected wheelbase of ~110".

I know that Pontiac fans "need" extravagance and I need to make up for my total disdain for those Nostrils found on some Pontiac hoods. So I threw in a few gimmicks of sorts. The first is the side intakes inspired by today's latest jet fighter the F-35 Lightning II. Of course the G6 won't go supersonic so the Diverterless Supersonic Intake (DSI) styling with its characteristic "bump" is just a gimmick. Well, they put fins on cars in the 50s :rolleyes: . The second is an exhaust outlet that is a huge contoured slot spanning the entire the rear diffuser.

Posted Image

(Combined both front and rear views into one picture, didn't really change the content)

I love it, it looks like the Torana.

My little entry. They're not much more than thumbnail sketches, but I haven't had time to make a finished sketch so I scanned this right from my notebook (and inverted the color because beige paper is ugly). That's a full width light strip in the front.

post-4034-1177129567_thumb.jpg

Edited by §carlet §wordfish

OK, I made it...

(1) Make it RWD.

Posted Image

Nice...although it reminds me of the Hyundai Genesis.

Anyway, I think I'll make an entry...haven't sketched in a while

Edited by Dodgefan