Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

33 dead in Va. Tech shooting rampage

63 posts in this topic

BLACKSBURG, Va. - At least 22 people were killed Monday in a shooting rampage on the Virginia Tech campus, police said. They said the gunman was among the dead.

In addition to those killed, officials said at least 28 people were wounded.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said the gunman was dead, but that he didn't know how he died.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/

Just senseless!!! :nono:

Edited by CSpec

i dont understand.... im guessing after killing all those people, he killed himself.. so why couldnt he just off himself? its horrible taking out innocent people with him

I'm not trying to be mean or make light of the situation, but if this happened a week earlier, Imus would still have a job.

I'm not trying to be mean or make light of the situation, but if this happened a week earlier, Imus would still have a job.

An interesting observation.

I can't really comment on this shooting. It shouldn't have happened, plain and simple. But it did. This just goes to show you how suddenly you can lose your life over something completely unexpected.

CNN is saying 31 now..

This kind of event is going to be a sad presence on that campus for decades to come, I'm afraid....

My undegrad college was notorious for riots that left 4 students dead in 1970, and that was still an event that I was well aware of when I was there in the early '90s...

Some people are despondent and take their own lives. Are they cowards? Maybe, but we don't walk in their shoes. Some people are maladjusted and take other people's lives and then their own? Are they cowards? Yes, of the worst kind.

I think this happened at UT-Austin as well and that's why those college campaniles tend to be off limits now. But, unfortunately, no one is completely safe.

Weird in the sense that I was super interested in going to their arch-rival, U-Va Charlottesville, for grad school in architecture. I didn't get in because they had 260 applicants for the 20 spots in the extended M.Arch. (for unrelated prior degrees). I stood a much better chance of getting into Va. Tech., based on the applicant ratio, but if I was going to go to the East Coast, it was going to be snooty U-Va or NOTHING.

We can say it's a sign of the times but these cowardly acts have occurred every century, it seems. It's just that maladjusted people exist everywhere and we need to be on guard to the best that we can. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims, their families, friends and those who will be traumatized by this senseless lunacy.

This story is indeed shocking. Very rarely do news stories get worse over time. Usually there is some initial estimate that comes down drastically, but this story was the other way around. It went from 1 fatality to "at least" 20 fatalities in one press conference.

I know you said you didn't mean to make light of the situation....but....seriously. So far 32 innocent people are dead. Who gives a f@#k about Don Imus at this point?

Edited by Chris_Doane

God it gets worse-

He killed a two people in a dorm and then crossed canpus and killed 30 more in a building two hours later. How the hell does that happen? Two people shot to death in a dorm room and there's no lockdown? Not good..

Shocking, horrible beyond belief. What else is there to say? As I shut off my radio tonight in the truck, they weren't even sure if the two events were related (dorm/classroom). I hope the mystery surrounding this whole mess gets solved quickly.

The scenes from witnesses in the building sound absolutely terrifying... the guy just walked room to room killing everyone he could.

Why?

Trust me theres Nothing gratifying in taking a life.

In Todays society NO ONE will care if you need to see professional help with these things. Thats why they are there so you don't go on killing sprees.

Very Shameful.

I know you said you didn't mean to make light of the situation....but....seriously. So far 32 innocent people are dead. Who gives a f@#k about Don Imus at this point?

It was just a thought. Think about it. The 24 hour media channels were looking for something to talk about since the whole Anna Nicole $h! was dead on arrival. Boy that affected the hell out of my life, how about you. They were looking for a new story last week, and they got a $h!ty one with Imus. Who would have payed any attention to the stupid non-racist remark he made. They needed something to fill dead air. Now that they have this, they will be....... happy now. How f@#king stupid it is, but its the damn truth.

How many people on this board watched the 24 hour news channel tonight for the latest interview with another student and where they were and what did they hear and what have you heard? The story has changed a 100 times already in 12 hours. This is the problem with news these days. They are so eager to get the latest hear-say to the dumb-masses that take it for fact.

So tomorrow when you get to work, count how many times somebody says, "I heard on (any news channel) that...." You'll hear it.

Can't we just wait on the facts to be known. I get tired of hearing questions on the news. THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO GIVE ME ANSWERS!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING STFU!!!

AMF

Adios My Friend

Chris, this post wasn't directed to you, more like society. It's just that this sad event makes a lot of people happy and I had to let it out because it pisses me off. Thanks

American news stations are all horrible. Period. Except of course for Fox News, which isn't news, just Rupert Murdoch's personal opinion put on the air.

It was just a thought. Think about it. The 24 hour media channels were looking for something to talk about since the whole Anna Nicole $h! was dead on arrival. Boy that affected the hell out of my life, how about you. They were looking for a new story last week, and they got a $h!ty one with Imus. Who would have payed any attention to the stupid non-racist remark he made. They needed something to fill dead air. Now that they have this, they will be....... happy now. How f@#king stupid it is, but its the damn truth.

How many people on this board watched the 24 hour news channel tonight for the latest interview with another student and where they were and what did they hear and what have you heard? The story has changed a 100 times already in 12 hours. This is the problem with news these days. They are so eager to get the latest hear-say to the dumb-masses that take it for fact.

So tomorrow when you get to work, count how many times somebody says, "I heard on (any news channel) that...." You'll hear it.

Can't we just wait on the facts to be known. I get tired of hearing questions on the news. THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO GIVE ME ANSWERS!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING STFU!!!

AMF

Adios My Friend

Chris, this post wasn't directed to you, more like society. It's just that this sad event makes a lot of people happy and I had to let it out because it pisses me off. Thanks

No, I know what you mean...your first post just came off as kind of insensitive and with horribly skewed priorities. However, this tragedy isn't nearly in the same league as Anna Nicole fluff. As horrible as the whole thing is, it IS very significant news. Terrible, awful, but significant, news. It warrants significant, continued coverage as the story becomes more clear. That said, in the coming week and weeks, the coverage could very well start to go overboard.

You are right about rumors sometimes being given too much weight. Especially in breaking news situations. Honestly I don't think ANYONE is "happy" about this. Even the most cynical news exec isn't happy about 32 dead kids and teachers. Most people in the news business were getting ready to cover the Alberto Gonzalez hearings anyway.

Edited by Chris_Doane

I have a feeling when I head back to college, I should grab myself some Kevlar...

Seriously, dub tee eff? Why can't these idiots just off themselves, instead of taking a horde of defenceless, innocent people with them. Innocent people with friends, and family, and futures...

... All gone because of some depressed wacko with a bunch of guns feels he has to share his pain.

I am bored already with this subject. My morning newspaper included 5 full pages to this idiotic rampage, including dragging up all the past ones and, of course, adding a Canadian angle to it.

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE TO READ ANYTHING ABOUT THIS RAMPAGE. That is the point, more losers with a gun figure they can make headlines and go down in a blaze of glory, be remembered forever. Sad, just sad. I will not participate in it.

I blame the media. Again.

I found out about this late last night...what a horrific event. I just don't understand people sometimes...and why didn't the campus alert everyone after the first two were killed. I read that the administration believed that the gunman had fled campus...what a lousy excuse. Someone in the upper levels of the admin at VT is going to get heat over that.

I have a feeling when I head back to college, I should grab myself some Kevlar...

Or you could switch to online courses and spend the rest of your life as a hermit.

Seriously, you can't predict this sort of thing. If you spend the rest of your life wearing kevlar, you will end up getting hit by a train instead.

Though it does give you an upper hand in armed muggings... :scratchchin:

Well, they identified the perpetrator. Whenever they reveal the profiles of these people, it's not very pleasant.

In addtition to the destruction he created, his family will have to live with the stigma of who their son was. In the Pacific Northwest, Ted Bundy's mom, who was from Tacoma WA, reportedly had these kinds of troubles whenever she went into a store or a service establishment and had to give her name. It's so sad that these people leave a bad legacy on so many levels.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0