Folks just got a new car...

My folks have been looking into getting a new car recently. Their criteria was midsized FWD/AWD v6 car.

Now my folks had always been on the get a new car every 3 years or so cycle until my dad decided to retire from his law practice in 2003 because he couldn't take the stress and how it exhaserbated his illness anymore (he has MS.)

So now he teaches law and does internal stuff at Yale. With our house in westport finally sold and our expenses realigned after four years of learning to live more economically and on less in general, he and my mom felt it's time to replace their 2000 intrigue.

Now I have to give props to the intrigue. best car we have ever owned hands down. 95k miles and all that's been done to it has been, 1 new battery, 1 set of new tires, 1 set of new rotors and pads and an oil change very 5-6k miles. Thats all and the cars been great. We sold it to a friend for $3500 with th understanding that the car needs a tuneup (barley it still runs great but it does hesitate just a tick if you floor it off the line now) and a new set of shocks and springs.

Now that we had found a good home for our old car, we had to decide what we were going to consider.

My parents have bought exclusivley GM cars since the late 70s. My dad had a bad experience with a Plymouth once and for some reason never really liked Fords. He bought two citations in a row in both 79 and 81. They were great cars for us. Both exceeded 300k miles no problem. From there they moved to Oldmobile and have been there ever since. three 98 Regencys, 1 Delta 88, a Cutlass ciera, 2 aleros and an intrigue later there are no more oldsmobiles to buy.

Straight off we ruled out Cadillac as too expensive, or at least more than we wanted to spend.

I got a malibu SS recently and like it but its a little too racy for my parents taste. I ruled out the W-bodies for them because I don't think they should be driving a car I feel, while competent, is at least one generation past it's prime.

That left us with two contenders. The G6 or the Aura. After some diliberation my parents will be leasing (as my mom barley drives 8k a year now) a new 2007 Aura XR in Ocean mist with an Ebony leather interior.

It's a sharp looking car and boy does it drive well. I rguarly borrow my friends 2004 accord EX v6 and this things blows it away. It handles as well as the Accord but with a much more compliant ride. the 3.6 is smooth and sounds great all the way to redline and the 6 speed tranny shifts seamlesly unlike the crappy Honda 5 speed. So it looks my family is becoming a saturn one. At least we're staying within GM and buying the car of the year.

My folks have been looking into getting a new car recently. Their criteria was midsized FWD/AWD v6 car.

Now my folks had always been on the get a new car every 3 years or so cycle until my dad decided to retire from his law practice in 2003 because he couldn't take the stress and how it exhaserbated his illness anymore (he has MS.)

So now he teaches law and does internal stuff at Yale. With our house in westport finally sold and our expenses realigned after four years of learning to live more economically and on less in general, he and my mom felt it's time to replace their 2000 intrigue.

Now I have to give props to the intrigue. best car we have ever owned hands down. 95k miles and all that's been done to it has been, 1 new battery, 1 set of new tires, 1 set of new rotors and pads and an oil change very 5-6k miles. Thats all and the cars been great. We sold it to a friend for $3500 with th understanding that the car needs a tuneup (barley it still runs great but it does hesitate just a tick if you floor it off the line now) and a new set of shocks and springs.

Now that we had found a good home for our old car, we had to decide what we were going to consider.

My parents have bought exclusivley GM cars since the late 70s. My dad had a bad experience with a Plymouth once and for some reason never really liked Fords. He bought two citations in a row in both 79 and 81. They were great cars for us. Both exceeded 300k miles no problem. From there they moved to Oldmobile and have been there ever since. three 98 Regencys, 1 Delta 88, a Cutlass ciera, 2 aleros and an intrigue later there are no more oldsmobiles to buy.

Straight off we ruled out Cadillac as too expensive, or at least more than we wanted to spend.

I got a malibu SS recently and like it but its a little too racy for my parents taste. I ruled out the W-bodies for them because I don't think they should be driving a car I feel, while competent, is at least one generation past it's prime.

That left us with two contenders. The G6 or the Aura. After some diliberation my parents will be leasing (as my mom barley drives 8k a year now) a new 2007 Aura XR in Ocean mist with an Ebony leather interior.

It's a sharp looking car and boy does it drive well. I rguarly borrow my friends 2004 accord EX v6 and this things blows it away. It handles as well as the Accord but with a much more compliant ride. the 3.6 is smooth and sounds great all the way to redline and the 6 speed tranny shifts seamlesly unlike the crappy Honda 5 speed. So it looks my family is becoming a saturn one. At least we're staying within GM and buying the car of the year.

that was what left me with the best impression on my Aura test drive. The engine/tranny is sweet. Motor sings, has power all over, and the tranny is seamless and fast to shift. Wait till she gets hooked on using the slick paddle shifting!

If anyone goes to drive the Aura XR and then continues to bleat about being no worthwhile difference between one of GM's classic pushrod powertrains and the OHC/6 speed, I will smack them. Driving the Aura makes up for all those years of GM lagging in powertrains in mainstream vehicles.

FANTASTIC choice, and the Aura is a great transition from the Intrigue. Sort of, almost, what that car could have been, had Oldsmobile still been around and had the budget to properly execute something.

The XR, in particular, with the 3.6L and 6-speed does just sing, and is a beast at the same time.

I want interior pictures if you don't mind... I have yet to see real-life pictures of the interior in Ebony, and I'm wondering how it'll look.

I'll have pictures up as soon as they take delivery. That should be in less than two weeks. It will probably be sooner but there is now way I am driving home this weekend to see it when I have three Yankees Mets games to go to this coming weekend. Let's go Met's!

a new 2007 Aura XR in Ocean mist with an Ebony leather interior.

Cool! It's a nice looking little car -- the front 3/4 view and rear 3/4 view are particularly nice. I hope it serves them well. That's my favorite color for the car, though I would have opted for a lighter color on the inside.

And my hat's off to your father for continuing to do professional level work while dealing with a tough illness. Most would have said "nah, forget it." But, he must be tough to keep working.

Cool, at least it's GM.

Awesome ... congratulations to your folks!

Heh ... my folks got a new car on Saturday. I had to drive them to the dealership to pick it up. They replaced their 2002 Cavalier (totaled in an accident in Southern IL in April) with a 2006 sunburnt orange Cobalt sedan!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I want a 2-tone Chevrolet" ... BJ Thomas ... '2-Car Garage'