Chrysler Crossfire is STILL not dead...

Despite slow sales, Crossfire will be back in 2008
Posted Image
By BRADFORD WERNLE | Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Updated: 07/02/07, 8:49 am et

DETROIT - The Chrysler Crossfire - once a dramatic symbol of the promised synergies in the DaimlerChrysler merger, a marriage of German technology and American style - has become a bargain bin sports car.

That merger is ending with the sale of Chrysler to Cerberus Capital Management, but the Crossfire will soldier on. The 2008 model goes into production this summer, adding a tire pressure monitoring system and other minor changes.

In 2006, Crossfire orders were suspended because of slow sales. Unsold 2006 and 2007 Crossfires sat in storage in Europe until shipments resumed this spring.

A Chrysler spokeswoman said production of the Crossfire never ceased, but the company stopped taking orders for seven or eight months in North America to "balance" the inventory. U.S. sales fell to 8,216 last year, down from 14,665 in 2005.

In the second quarter of 2007, Crossfire prices less customer cash averaged $27,526, down from $32,460 in the second quarter of 2005, according to Power Information Network data. The base price for the Crossfire coupe when it debuted as a 2004 model was $34,495, including shipping.

Despite the plunge in sales and transaction prices, Chrysler says it's happy with the Crossfire's performance. "We've been outselling the Audi TT," said Chrysler Crossfire engineer Allan Mecca "In our mind, it's meeting expectations."

Wasn't there something recently showing ~70% are fleet sales? What kind of expectations do they have over there?

Well... at least there will be one cool car in rental lots :smilewide: Edited by ZL-1

This car was a mistake. They need to let it die, and eliminate this, a remnant of Daimler's Vader-like influnce over the company. And also, looking now, this thing is really ugly and unexpressive. It had a chance, look at the Mercedes SLK. They could have revamped this like they did with that model but Benz wanted to see Chrysler wither on the vine. SAD.

Edited by dimitri0917

Ah I'll give 20K for one. No more, but I still do like them! I had a dealer in Iowa that said buy or lease any new 2007 Sebring Sedan with the 2.4L or 2.7L and you get a Chyrsler Crossfire to drive with free maintance for 3 years. Then just return it to the dealership at the end of the three year period. Not a bad promo eh?

I, too, really like this car. Still turns my head on the road, but of course- I much prefer the concept.

Sales numbers may be down, but they're still respectible and worthwhile continuing, IMO. The market for 2-seaters is not one of rising numbers. I can't see clear to calling it a flop in any way, shape or form. Look at miata sales from '90 thru the early '00s- steady, fairly steep decline in numbers... have you ever heard "flop" connected with the miata?

Ah I'll give 20K for one. No more, but I still do like them! I had a dealer in Iowa that said buy or lease any new 2007 Sebring Sedan with the 2.4L or 2.7L and you get a Chyrsler Crossfire to drive with free maintance for 3 years. Then just return it to the dealership at the end of the three year period. Not a bad promo eh?

I would go for that in a second!