What Are You Listening To?

^^^     He is a great drummer!

The guitarists look good too. But I couldnt hear them as its a very drum heavy sound.   Just commenting on it not judging...

I will just say this, and not in a bad way, just saying...  Not my style of rock.  But good luck to them. Wish them lots of success! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was "listening" to this the other night.  Here I am, walking down a street in Palermo and, one level above the restaurants and shops, are apartments with their French doors open onto their balconies.

A dude wearing only some cargo shorts was rocking out to this song on the balcony.  His lady friend or significant other was nowhere as into it as he was, and was making only a few moves.

I wasn't going to take a photo or video.  I tried doing that the night before with some lady lowering a plastic pail to the ground level while some Mama Celeste types were sitting on their chairs outside ... and these ladies told me to take a hike in Sicilian.  So I wasn't going to push my luck with the dancing duo on the balcony.

Young hearts run free!  A sassy song from the disco era.

• Haha 3

Korean TV is so funny even when you have to read CC, but having up and coming young talent redo other famous songs makes it entertaining.

Young lady above has the moves from the original music video.

Tracy has this unmistakable earthy voice.  Like many other performers trying their luck in and around Harvard Square, she broke through.

Like I said, you might need I.V. antidepressants to watch movies with Frances McDormand in them.  You might also need them to listen to Tracy Chapman songs.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear these specific and memorable lyrics in my head every now and then ...

"Will you meet him on the Main Line?  Or will you catch him on the rebound?"

"Will you marry for the money?  Take a lover in the afternoon ..."

Name that song!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

^^^

I would have, but Robert beat me to it! 

Celine did a cover of her song that I preferred over hers.

Celine's version was all over the radio here, and I think all over North America too.  Great memories with Celine's version.

Until Youtube comes along and teaches me that a lovely lady named Jennifer Rush had written and performed this song first in 1984.  

Which also became my favorite version really really quick.  But all three singers are great and do a great job performing it. 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

AC/DC  popped into my recommendations.    New released song.  Not much different than their other songs.  Still a rockin' song the only way they know how!   I could never tire of AC/DC no matter how many songs they release that are similar in feel.   I love the video even more.  

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I was at a lunch buffet (I'll spare you the photos of it), this came on:

The lady who was working my area, and whose area I ask for, and I both agreed that THIS was real music.

I also told her I once had a Cutlass Supreme to round out the situation.  She laughed and said she had one, too.

Karma, I tell you.

• Agree 2

Sadly, I never got to dance to that disco track back in '77.   I sooooo would have loved to. Drivin' up to Studio '54 in either of these...

20-1509484151558@2x | | CorvSport.com

The 1976 Trans Am - a Unique Screaming Chicken

1977 Lincoln Mark V Givenchy designer edition | Lincoln continental,  American classic cars, Lincoln cars

However, I did dance to THIS track back in '94.  

while I drove up to many dance clubs all around the Montreal area in this

Pontiac Firebird 2.8 V6 135hp, 1989

and in this after I totaled the one above.   (Both not my actual cars, but both are exactly how mine were) 

1994 Grand Am GT Sedan - Brilliant Blue Metallic / Dark Gray photo #7 |  Pontiac grand am, Car colors, Pontiac

• Agree 1

Hmmm..Saturday night, January 1994...probably would have been either in a bar in Kent, Oh w./ grad school friends, at a bar in the Flats in Cleveland w/ those same friends, or in a computer lab on the Kent State campus w/ some of those same friends, working on projects...was about to finish my master's degree, and a few months later (June) moved to Ann Arbor, Mi for my 2nd round of grad school.    I had my '86 Mustang LX 2.3 w/ snow tires on it then, the '87 Mustang GT would have been at the family farm in the barn. 

Would have been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd, early 90s grunge (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc) and industrial (Nine Inch Nails) then, with some Tori Amos in the mix. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

I couldn't take it any longer
Lord I was crazed
And when the feeling came upon me
Like a tidal wave
I started swearing to my god and on my mother's grave
That I would love you to the end of time
I swore that I would love you to the end of time!
So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive
'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive
I'll never break my promise or forget my vow
But God only knows what I can do right now
I'm praying for the end of time
It's all that I can do
Praying for the end of time,
So I can end my time with you!

Well I can see myself tearing up the road, faster
Than any other boy has ever gone
And my skin is raw, but my soul is ripe,
And no one's gonna stop me now, I'm gonna make my escape
But I can't stop thinking of you,
And I never see the sudden curve until it's way too late
And I never see the sudden curve until it's way too late
Then I'm down in the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun,
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike,
And I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell
And the last thing I see is my heart, still beating,
Breaking out of my body and flying away
Like a bat out of hell
Then I'm down in the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun,
Torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike,
And I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell
And the last thing I see is my heart,
Still beating still beating
Still beating still beating
Breaking out of my body, and flying away
  • Agree 1

On 1/27/2022 at 11:10 PM, David said:

Working on a docker project that sucks, so it is Depeche Mode night.

I've done a fair bit with Docker, can get messy. Working w/ Docker and Terraform a fair bit on my current project, but also have a cloud engineer guy I hand off my prototypes to so they can be productionized.    I'm mostly focused now on wrapping up some integration code w/ Graph QL,  Postgres, and Constant Contact (their API isn't that well documented).   With the snowy, gloomy weather outside, I've been listening to a lot of classic early 90s grunge, '80s-retro synthwave, '80s pop and rock.. 

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

This song really speaks to me the Awesome Multi-Cultural world we live in. 

You can turn on the subtitles if you want, she has a lovely voice.

To quote the Post by the Music Company: This song is produced by team Star Track created by TS Music's Kang Ji-won and Kim Ki-bum. It's a medium tempo dreamy and exotic ballad song based on hiphop beats with some rock sounds added. "Don't Look at Me Like That" has a rather controversial, experimental lyrics about love between the same sex, different races, different ages, and other possibly prejudiced and stereotyped relationships.

Korea is going Crazy for American Iron and as such in this music video about a one-sided love, they use an American Classic car that way too many people just ignore but I like it. Artists have unique voices.

Course I also find the young woman driving the Nova to be very attractive to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't listening to them on my own, but they were tied into some articles and links on various homepages. 

Both are sort of prescient with insightful lyrics, having listened to them in the past.

Sting - "Russians" - 1985:

Elton John - "Nikita" - 1985

• Agree 3

On 3/8/2022 at 1:51 PM, Robert Hall said:

I remember both of those songs and the Cold War mid 80s era...still relevant today.

Like watching movies starring Frances McDormand, you might need antidepressants to listen to most Sting songs.  (Except for "Englishman in New York," maybe.)

I haven't listened to Elton John for a long time, but this reminded me what an incredible voice he has.  Some singers sound like other singers, but not him.

As for the girl in the video, I wondered who she might be.  She was already a known actress.  She was in "Gorky Park" (1983) and her name is Joanna Pacula.  It turns out she had to flee Poland when she was young and came to the states.  There was a girl I knew in the business school in college who looked a lot like her, was an "A" student, and, similarly, was half Polish and half Slavic (with those grandparents coming from the old Yugoslavia).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of a guilty pleasure...discovered this new song from 80s-90s boy band New Kids on the Block w/ Rick Astley, Salt n Pepa and En Vogue..I was never a boy band fan, but the 80s references in the video are great...parodying Twisted Sister, Bill Idol, Max Headroom, Flock of Seagulls videos, etc...very catchy been stuck in my head the last couple weeks, get the warm fuzzies for 1989...happy memories of rolling in my 5.0 back in the day listening to 80s music.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 4/1/2022 at 10:41 AM, Robert Hall said:

Kind of a guilty pleasure...discovered this new song from 80s-90s boy band New Kids on the Block w/ Rick Astley, Salt n Pepa and En Vogue..I was never a boy band fan, but the 80s references in the video are great...parodying Twisted Sister, Bill Idol, Max Headroom, Flock of Seagulls videos, etc...very catchy been stuck in my head the last couple weeks, get the warm fuzzies for 1989...happy memories of rolling in my 5.0 back in the day listening to 80s music.

I didnt really enjoy the song. But I did get a giggle or two and warm fuzzies with the '80s references. 

• Haha 1

Those Kids in America are now at a minimum 50 years old.  

Oh but what a time in America it was! 

It was Magic! 

Im still head over heels for that decade.

'Cause the 80s are good enough for me. 

It was a fun ride! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I call this the "Santa Monica Blvd. song" and it seems to be the song most readily attributed to Sheryl Crow.

At about :55, she mentions DATSUNS and Buicks, so this is a little dated!

At least she doesn't want to eat Subarus, as per the lyrics from some other song of about that time.

• Agree 2

meh...

I never did like that "All I wanna do is have some fun on the Santa Monica Boulevard" song.

"This is L.A.!!!"   To which I say: BIIIIIG phoquing deal!!!

I once dreamt about California and what it be like to live there. But slowly slowly, the mystical attraction, daze and hypnotic trance Los Angeles and Hollywood and Beverley Hills and Malibu Beach and San Francisco and all things California has vanished for me. 

Id like to visit, but I no longer have this yearn as Seinfeld's Kramer character put it, to live in California. 

From a song stand point, Id rather a late '70s and mid '80s Pink Cadillac vibe. The song  projects more "fun" than what Mizz Crow suggests with her California song.  Spending all our money on a Saturday night and having a party in the backseat of a Cadillac. 

Talking about cars, the Cadillac is bigger than a Honda and a Subaru too.  

The later, '80s pop version

The earlier, bluesy original version

I also prefer Mr. Petty's California mentioning songs more than Mizz Crow's 

Free Fallin' is more chill, I find

• Haha 2

I get the feeling that Sheryl Crow's "All I wanna do is have some fun" song is a song denouncing California. Its kinda saying that the people she is interacting with are fake. She truly is the only one wanting to have real fun. 

I still dont like the song. Even though I learnt that what she may be saying is what I have learnt about California over the years and have fallen out of love with California myself and THAT is what she is trying to convey to us. That California is FAKE.  (Never been there, mind you) 

I just dont like the song.  I dont like ANY of Sheryl Crow's songs.  I dont know why. I just dont like her songs. Something about her voice kills me.

Id rather listen to Katy Perry and her rip off of the Beach Boys  song of California Girls than listen to Sheryl Crow. 

Phoqued up....  I know!!! 

• Haha 2