What Are You Listening To?

It has become my life's mission to see this band live. A complete throwback to the 70s but, in this case, that is not a bad thing here. Just pure groove and live, they just peel your ears back. The vocalist Jay Buchanan is the real deal in an era of phonies IMO.

• Like 1

Went and saw Bruce Springsteen for the 10th time in 25 years this past week..most of the band is over 70 now, but still put on a high energy show clocking in at almost 3 hours.   Great music, always great live... I was distracted by all my personal drama this week, but had bought the tickets probably 8 months ago, so couldn't skip the show.   Was a great evening...

• Like 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Gordon

Watching Toronto versus Florida on Sportsnet they play Mr. Lightfoot's music I noticed that I know a lot more songs from him that I realized. 

This would be one those song that I had forgotten I knew.  I liked this song a lot.  Turns out I still do.   Its nice that I got re-acquainted with his songs.  

This would be another.  

The next two though,  would be songs that have stayed with me.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I love Gordon Lightfoot's music...great lyrics.   My folks were fans, I remember listening to him on 8-track in the late 70s-early 80s on RV road trips w/ my folks...  saw him in concert about 5 years ago, even older still a great performer.

I've listened to his song 'Carefree Highway' while driving on the actual Carefree Highway in Arizona...

I like this track a lot--

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Robert Hall @oldshurst442

Nothing quite like standing at that beach at the top of the U.P., weather permitting, and reading the memorial plaque and looking out at the probable/likely place of the shipwreck, thinking how insane it must have been that this can happen in this body of water.  With his lyrics and balladeer voice, he puts you right there in the situation.  That's incredible talent.  R.I.P., Gordon Lightfoot.

- - - - -

The '70s and '80s ruled the roost, with some gems at the end of the '60s and the beginning of the '90s.

It's interesting how the instrumental dance music parallels remain, but it's still a different enough style a decade or so later. 

It's also interesting how they wrapped a song from the '60s or '70s into this hit.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 2

It might not be their most recognized song, but, to me, this is the top of the heap for the Supremes - 1971 vintage ... ideal for open road driving on the interstate.

I don't know how it fell out of my music collection, along with a few other songs, but I just added this one back a day or two ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

@Robert Hall @oldshurst442

Nothing quite like standing at that beach at the top of the U.P., weather permitting, and reading the memorial plaque and looking out at the probable/likely place of the shipwreck, thinking how insane it must have been that this can happen in this body of water.  With his lyrics and balladeer voice, he puts you right there in the situation.  That's incredible talent.  R.I.P., Gordon Lightfoot.

- - - - -

The '70s and '80s ruled the roost, with some gems at the end of the '60s and the beginning of the '90s.

It's interesting how the instrumental dance music parallels remain, but it's still a different enough style a decade or so later. 

It's also interesting how they wrapped a song from the '60s or '70s into this hit.

Intriguing is your thoughts.  I guess when this song came out in 1988, I never made the connection from the original.   Country is it, the original?   And I guess that is the reason why I never made the connection then.   

I havent heard this one probably SINCE 1988.    I get to hear the original often enough.  Anyway,,,thanx for the balst from the past.

Since  you started with forgetten songs from 1988, let me return the favour with a song with almost the same vibe.  Albeit it vibes just a little slower.   However, this one doesnt pay any hommage to a previous 60s or 70s hit.  At least I dont think it does. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1988 was another MONSTER year for songs.   Pop.   Pop rock.  Hard rock.  Rap.  Hip Hop.  Movie soundtracks.   You name it.  And 1988 was a year second to none concerning the '80s.   It seems that any year from the 80s could be the best year for songs of the 80s

The girl in the video.   I had a huuuuge crush on her.  What a gorgeous girl.  I had trecorded the video and I spent hundreds of hours looking at her. I was mesmorized by her beauty.  Her eyes.   And of course her body.  Just a goddess all around.  

• Agree 2

Strange how it works,  but the music from my teenage years ('83-90) still remains a big part of the soundtrack of my life over 3 decades later... some of my favorite music was released then.   Though there is a lot from before and after that I enjoy...

Still remember 'I want my MTV!!!'.   

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

On 5/8/2023 at 10:36 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Intriguing is your thoughts.  I guess when this song came out in 1988, I never made the connection from the original.   Country is it, the original?   And I guess that is the reason why I never made the connection then.   

I havent heard this one probably SINCE 1988.    I get to hear the original often enough.  Anyway,,,thanx for the balst from the past.

Yes, I believe Lynn Anderson would be considered country.  

On 5/9/2023 at 6:20 AM, Robert Hall said:

Strange how it works,  but the music from my teenage years ('83-90) still remains a big part of the soundtrack of my life over 3 decades later... some of my favorite music was released then.   Though there is a lot from before and after that I enjoy...

Still remember 'I want my MTV!!!'.   

Right, teen years through college age or mid-20s would be the time that music makes the stronger impact on people.  That's what they will continue to listen to.

What's sort of cool is that kids who work at Starbucks or anywhere that has a music loop going are now familiar with that music and really like the music their parents grew up with.  I've read that on YouTube music comments.  And they've also told me they think music from the latter part of the last century is really good.  There is hope for them after all.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Tina.

@trinacriabob

Yes!  What a comeback!   I INSTANTLY fell in love with her the very second I saw her video and listened to her song in 1984.  My 11 year old self never knew she was a star before I was born.  But I instantly knew that other awesome songs were to come.  

THAT video and song would be 

And my all time favorite song from her:

And to no surprise about hearing her again and loving her, a duet with Bryan Adams is released and beomes another hit.  Another song that I LOVE from her

And with this next song, came a lyric that I still use today as an expression for me to announce my greatness to people.  Especially when I was playing hockey and baseball but in my everyday life, I mock people with my arrogance of me being the best and better than all the rest.  I point to the useless souls that I mock as I loudly say " I am better than ALL THE REST!!!" 

I am simply the best and BETTER than ALL THE REST! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's still Saturday night somewhere in America, but I doubt there's any Saturday night fever to speak of.

A childhood friend who is a Spanish-Italian-Irish mix born in the Bronx and ended up going to parochial schools with me in SoCal when her family moved out West thought that this song was about her, so that's who it reminds me of.

IT's one of the songs that stands out more in the collection because this one Gibb brother can get his voice this high, just like Tracy Chapman can get her voice real low ... either way, great vocal acrobatics for both of these artists.

• Like 1

This one is a classic from the mid-'70s ... perfect to pilot a Cutlass Supreme to ... and its only lyrics throughout the entire song are "do the hustle."  That's it.

When I was younger and heard it the first few times, I thought they were saying "to Nassau" ... wishful thinking and projecting on my part.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw this a few months ago and couldn't believe it, so I thought I'd share.

Naturally, the city had to apologize (apologizing is fashionable in the New Millennium) and it was pulled.

CTV Regina: Jimmy Fallon invited to ‘Experience Regina’ | CTV News

Of course, you'd expect someone the likes of goofball Jimmy Fallon to capitalize on this quirk on Saskatchewan's capital.

- - - - -

I had no clue they pronounced it this way until I spoke to someone from Saskatchewan going to college in the states and pronounced it "Reh-gee-nah," the way this imported Italian word is pronounced there and in the U.S. and was corrected by this Canadian guy pronouncing it "Reh-jy-nah."   It was funny, but WTF?

Change the frickin' way the name of the city is pronounced.  Problem solved.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

I saw this a few months ago and couldn't believe it, so I thought I'd share.

Naturally, the city had to apologize (apologizing is fashionable in the New Millennium) and it was pulled.

CTV Regina: Jimmy Fallon invited to ‘Experience Regina’ | CTV News

Of course, you'd expect someone the likes of goofball Jimmy Fallon to capitalize on this quirk on Saskatchewan's capital.

- - - - -

I had no clue they pronounced it this way until I spoke to someone from Saskatchewan going to college in the states and pronounced it "Reh-gee-nah," the way this imported Italian word is pronounced there and in the U.S. and was corrected by this Canadian guy pronouncing it "Reh-jy-nah."   It was funny, but WTF?

Crazy the way some people get hung up on body part names. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, David said:

Crazy the way some people get hung up on body part names. 

I blame the city and the province for adopting that pronunciation - it's virtually identical to choosing to say Italian or Eye-talian.  

I looked for a YouTube that didn't have religion (difficult to do) in it, and this is done by Mozart and the choral pronunciation, in just the first minute, is correct:

Amazing to learn that Mozart was from Austria and only lived to be 35.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 1:14 PM, trinacriabob said:

Yup...   Reh-jy-nah! 

I had heard about this in the news, the whole tourist commercial Vagina/Regina thing and with Jimmy Fallon but I  never thought anything of it.  I guess in Quebec it wasnt such a big deal... 

I didnt know that the word is Italian.  Awesome to know.  Although now that I know...I could sees it and more to it than that, I could hears it too.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

Yup...   Reh-jy-nah! 

I had heard about this in the news, the whole tourist commercial Vagina/Regina thing and with Jimmy Fallon but I  never thought anything of it.  I guess in Quebec it wasnt such a big deal... 

I didnt know that the word is Italian.  Awesome to know.  Although now that I know...I could sees it and more to it than that, I could hears it too.

Yes, I checked to see if it belonged to another romance language as well and it surprisingly along belongs to Romanian ...

Italian - regina (queen) - pronounced just like "reh" and then the name "Gina" right after it; the people in Saskatchewan were clueless to adopt their pronunciation.

French - reine

Spanish - reina

Portuguese - rainha

*Romanian - regina*

• Like 1

There are a lot of musical artists where I mostly like one or two of their songs ...

- - - - -

For Sting, it would be this one:

Many of the commenters say it is "smooth" and "elegant" and a stroke of "genius."  That's why it's in my collection.

- - - - -

For Jackson Browne, it would be this one:

Many comment about the great lyrics.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard it driving between Portland and Seattle (2 hours and 45 minutes) at weird hours at the beginnings and ends of weekends.  It was in my collection at that time - it still is - and kept me safely awake, along with other songs.

• Like 1

I have been in an Italo-American crooner kinda mood for several days myself.  The crooner style kinda being being jazz itself is what Im trying to say.

And in particular this one always popping up.  I was wanting to pair this one up with a car.  But I couldnt feels the car that would go with this song.  Not yet at least.  Im still trying to figure it out though. 

RIP Mr. Bennett

I did this one with a Detomaso but in the song's original format.   Love this version more than the original though! 

Actually, Ive had this style in my head for almost all summer long.

Its started out with this song with all the weird and sad stuff going on around me. 

And then the death of Tony Bennett really cemented my choices all sumer long.

RIP Mr. Bennett

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I have been in an Italo-American crooner kinda mood for several days myself.  The crooner style kinda being being jazz itself is what Im trying to say.

And in particular this one always popping up.  I was wanting to pair this one up with a car.  But I couldnt feels the car that would go with this song.  Not yet at least.  Im still trying to figure it out though. 

RIP Mr. Bennett

I did this one with a Detomaso but in the song's original format.   Love this version more than the original though! 

Actually, Ive had this style in my head for almost all summer long.

Its started out with this song with all the weird and sad stuff going on around me. 

And then the death of Tony Bennett really cemented my choices all sumer long.

RIP Mr. Bennett

Sinatra and a big ol Cadillac El Dorado is what I would pair him up with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Something familiar with the tune and melody. Same with the way Jagger singing it.   I cant quite put my finger on why it sounds so familiar.  It feels like a classic Rolling Stones ballad.  Could it be a retro modern version of one of their hits?  Or is it a hommage to classic soul music from 50-60 years ago?   I feels the song in my heart.  I know this style of music is from a time just before I was born,  but I am quite familiar with it.   I didnt grow up with that style, yet this new Stone song makes me nostalgic about that particualr time that was just before I was born.      

Love Gaga's part in it too.

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Over all, I love the song. 

Two songs into this new album and this is how I feel

Golden Buzzer Buzzer GIF - Golden Buzzer Buzzer Press Buzzer - Discover &  Share GIFs

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

I like the new Stones songs...have the album on preorder (I still buy CDs!)... I hope they tour again..had tickets for their 2020 show but it was cancelled and not rescheduled due to COVID..last saw them in Las Vegas in 2005ish.

As far as what I've been listening to,I've been listening a lot to Peter Gabriel's new songs from the upcoming album i/o.   I really like his new stuff, and of course love his old stuff..been a fan 40+ years.

I saw him in concert here on Wednesday night, put on a 3hr show that was an audiovisual extravaganza--11 hits + 11 new songs.

IMG-0711.jpg

IMG-0712.jpg

IMG-0713.jpg

IMG-0719.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 3

On 10/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, Robert Hall said:

I like the new Stones songs...have the album on preorder (I still buy CDs!)...

Damn right!   Hard copy. Will ALWAYS be yours.   I dont buy music anymore, but I do buy movies.  DVDs baby!!!! 

I hope they tour again..had tickets for their 2020 show but it was cancelled and not rescheduled due to COVID..last saw them in Las Vegas in 2005ish.

Bummer about the Covid.  That shyte really screwed us over in many ways...

I think they will tour again.  Nothing is stopping them.    Jagger is 80 and Richards is 79 and STILL going on strong.  Daaaaaayum!    But at least you saw them if by some chance they wont tour again.  But they do have this new album and they are really old school. Im am posituve they will tour again.     Was that the only time you saw them?

I remember when they came to Montreal in '89 with their Steel Wheels album.  The WHOLE city was buzzin' before AND after.    I bought that CD.  Ive got their 40 Licks 2 CD best hits and several cassettes of their classic albums bought used in thrift shops.     I enjoy most of their music and I listen to them constantly to this day.  Although the Steel Wheels album has been looong forgotten on my part... 

As far as what I've been listening to,I've been listening a lot to Peter Gabriel's new songs from the upcoming album i/o.   I really like his new stuff, and of course love his old stuff..been a fan 40+ years.

I saw him in concert here on Wednesday night, put on a 3hr show that was an audiovisual extravaganza--11 hits + 11 new songs.

+1 

This is another fantastic singer/musician that is over the hill so to speak!  Its great to see ALL of them still contributing music for the world to listen to.  Because when they are gone, sadly,  there wont be much music left to talk about enthusiastically.... 

@oldshurst442 @Robert Hall Love the music you guys are talking about but would not waste any money to see them in concert now, way over the hill and the songs do not sound anything like they did when they were in their prime.

At Dell Technology World 2019 we had for our customer appreciation party Eric Clapton. I have always loved his music and guitar playing. Brought the wife that year, so spent the $145 for an extra ticket for her to see him in concert. She had spent the day relaxing and listening to all his music online. 

We went to the concert and left after the 3rd song, was the biggest let down and worst performance of his music ever. He was 74 then and just as I have seen broadcasts of Jagger and others, they just are not what they used to be and need to retire IMHO. 

There comes a time when you can appreciate the desire to perform and do what you did when you were younger, but need to pass the baton on to the more youthful and be more of a mentor.

11 hours ago, David said:

@oldshurst442 @Robert Hall Love the music you guys are talking about but would not waste any money to see them in concert now, way over the hill and the songs do not sound anything like they did when they were in their prime.

At Dell Technology World 2019 we had for our customer appreciation party Eric Clapton. I have always loved his music and guitar playing. Brought the wife that year, so spent the $145 for an extra ticket for her to see him in concert. She had spent the day relaxing and listening to all his music online. 

We went to the concert and left after the 3rd song, was the biggest let down and worst performance of his music ever. He was 74 then and just as I have seen broadcasts of Jagger and others, they just are not what they used to be and need to retire IMHO. 

There comes a time when you can appreciate the desire to perform and do what you did when you were younger, but need to pass the baton on to the more youthful and be more of a mentor.

I understand what you are saying, and when the time has come to retire, the time has time to retire.  And I agree. But...sometimes, even if the time has cime to retire, its still enjoyable to see the magic of the artist perform even though the show maybe lacking.  The legend of said artist suprasses the actual show.  That is the appreciation.  With the Stones, Jagger and Richards have still got the goods to deliver a great show, but...even they arent spring chickens anymore, the fact that at 80 they still give a show, THAT in itself is worth the price of admission.  To see the Stones ONE. LAST. TIME.   

12 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

I understand what you are saying, and when the time has come to retire, the time has time to retire.  And I agree. But...sometimes, even if the time has cime to retire, its still enjoyable to see the magic of the artist perform even though the show maybe lacking.  The legend of said artist suprasses the actual show.  That is the appreciation.  With the Stones, Jagger and Richards have still got the goods to deliver a great show, but...even they arent spring chickens anymore, the fact that at 80 they still give a show, THAT in itself is worth the price of admission.  To see the Stones ONE. LAST. TIME.   

Personal choice as I would not spend the money to see them now, rather watch earlier recordings of them performing and listen to the songs when they were in their prime, but then I know I am an odd duck in comparison to those that go to the concerts.

I also have moved to much smaller venues for enjoyment. Have not been to a major concert since my college days in Japan when I saw Depech Mode Music for the Masses concert that was awesome.

Now I enjoy going to Jazz Alley in Seattle for a meal show. This is just a much more enjoyable experience IMHO.

Dimitriou's Jazz Alley - Home

I love it when I can see Keiko Matsui in concert at Jazz Alley. She usually comes every two years for a week.

Keiko Matsui

Toshio Kadomatsu OFFICIAL SITE (toshiki-kadomatsu.jp) Fell in love with his jazz especially the Sea is a Lady Album. Married my wife who walked down the isle to June Bride in December. :D 

At 40:33 is June Bride, great song, Love this as enjoyable background music.

On 10/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, David said:

but would not waste any money to see them in concert now, way over the hill and the songs do not sound anything like they did when they were in their prime.

All Im hearing...is that you are not really a Rolling Stones fan and would rather see what your personal tastes are in concert.  

3 hours ago, David said:

Have not been to a major concert since my college days

Which is fine.

3 hours ago, David said:

Personal choice as I would not spend the money to see them now, rather watch earlier recordings of them performing and listen to the songs when they were in their prime

Like you said, Personal choice as I would rather see Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrinkley and old @ 80 live in the cement block named Olympic Stadium in Montreal who Pink Floyd famously wrote a hugely famous song about than watch a young, perky vibrant Keiki Matsui. 

Nothing wrong with that either. 

But I wrote it like that because you seem dismissive of what I said earlier

15 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

But...sometimes, even if the time has cime to retire, its still enjoyable to see the magic of the artist perform even though the show maybe lacking.  The legend of said artist suprasses the actual show.  That is the appreciation.  With the Stones, Jagger and Richards have still got the goods to deliver a great show, but...even they arent spring chickens anymore, the fact that at 80 they still give a show, THAT in itself is worth the price of admission.  To see the Stones ONE. LAST. TIME. 

When legendary performers such as The Rolling Stones, Kiss, Def Leppard, AC/DC and many others, chalk up Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams too, when they do a concert, and their vocals or performance falls short of expectations, even kind of like Vince Neil of Motley Crue or Axl Rose of Guns and Roses, really, it does not matter. At THAT point its NOT aboutn the show.  Its about seeing them one last time before they are gone.   

Vince Neil and Axl Rose may not be legends, and therefore your assesment IS correct about them retiring.  And when I say gone, I really mean dead.  Tina Turner, Tony Bennett...  Even Tony didnt sound as good when old as when he was young...   Its REALLY about seeing them ONE. LAST. TIME.

But the conversation is NOT about those people.  Its about The Rolling Stones.   ANY concert with them IS worth it.  They bare STILL on top of their game.  And it IS worth seeing them beofre THEY are gone. And THAT is not a personal choice IF you are a fan.  ITS a bloody fact. IF you are a fan.  If you are NOT a fan, you will say stuff like:

On 10/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, David said:

but would not waste any money to see them in concert now, way over the hill and the songs do not sound anything like they did when they were in their prime.

but at least you course corrected somewhat...

3 hours ago, David said:

Personal choice as I would not spend the money to see them now, rather watch earlier recordings of them performing and listen to the songs when they were in their prime, but then I know I am an odd duck in comparison to those that go to the concerts.

And at least you have acknowledged that you are an odd duck concerning these things.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

All Im hearing...is that you are not really a Rolling Stones fan and would rather see what your personal tastes are in concert.  

Which is fine.

Like you said, Personal choice as I would rather see Mick Jagger and Keith Richards wrinkley and old @ 80 live in the cement block named Olympic Stadium in Montreal who Pink Floyd famously wrote a hugely famous song about than watch a young, perky vibrant Keiki Matsui. 

Nothing wrong with that either. 

But I wrote it like that because you seem dismissive of what I said earlier

When legendary performers such as The Rolling Stones, Kiss, Def Leppard, AC/DC and many others, chalk up Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams too, when they do a concert, and their vocals or performance falls short of expectations, even kind of like Vince Neil of Motley Crue or Axl Rose of Guns and Roses, really, it does not matter. At THAT point its NOT aboutn the show.  Its about seeing them one last time before they are gone.   

Vince Neil and Axl Rose may not be legends, and therefore your assesment IS correct about them retiring.  And when I say gone, I really mean dead.  Tina Turner, Tony Bennett...  Even Tony didnt sound as good when old as when he was young...   Its REALLY about seeing them ONE. LAST. TIME.

But the conversation is NOT about those people.  Its about The Rolling Stones.   ANY concert with them IS worth it.  They bare STILL on top of their game.  And it IS worth seeing them beofre THEY are gone. And THAT is not a personal choice IF you are a fan.  ITS a bloody fact. IF you are a fan.  If you are NOT a fan, you will say stuff like:

but at least you course corrected somewhat...

And at least you have acknowledged that you are an odd duck concerning these things.

You can enjoy the old prune of a performer which is your right and the freedom we enjoy; I also will enjoy my higher expectations of an enjoyable night. Rather have a dinner performance at a jazz club now or a small venue with an artist than in a large cement block with thousands of others in terrible acoustic presentations.

Just my personal preference versus yours or Roberts or anyone else.

Like others here, I would rather sit in the comfort of my home theater chair and watch my James Bond collection on my Theater system where I can pause the movie, hit the bathroom, get food I want of higher quality and relax than go to a public theater or performance hall.

Guess as I have gotten older, I expect better quality of performance and experience than to try and live in my college days of loud concert venues.

3 minutes ago, David said:

You can enjoy the old prune of a performer which is your right and the freedom we enjoy

You too, can enjoy what you enjoy...   

4 minutes ago, David said:

I also will enjoy my higher expectations of an enjoyable night.

Subjective.

remember...YOU are the one to judge.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Rather have a dinner performance at a jazz club now or a small venue with an artist than in a large cement block with thousands of others in terrible acoustic presentations.

Sure. 

But that is the reality of...ARENA rock.  You know...the rock-n-roll OF the 1960s all the way to the early 1990s.

Started by the likes of THE Rolling Stones in the 1960s  and perfected by all sorts of bands in the 1970s like Pink Floyd and Kiss and was THE standard in the 1980s.  Bud, that would be almost 30 years of rockers rockin' in venues like that.  And you kinda missed the point.   Those types of venues were NOT about the accoustics... 

Pink Floyd, well, one member started loathing himself and the band and life and the band broke up because of that. 

12 minutes ago, David said:

Rather have a dinner performance at a jazz club now or a small venue with an artist

And yes.  YOU do you.

NOBODY told you to do otherwise.  

But you got to understand, KISS and The Rolling Stones do well in huge venues.  The artist you chose to highlight to us is NOT Arena rock.   She wont do well in that environment.  Guess what though.  Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis jr. wont either.   

Please put some percpective in what you wanna whine about. 

15 minutes ago, David said:

Like others here, I would rather sit in the comfort of my home theater chair and watch my James Bond collection on my Theater system where I can pause the movie

And it would be YOUR choice to do so.  I too, enjoy that.

But yet again, a big blockbuster of a movie was meant to be enjoyed in a movie theatre.

Shawshank Redemption, which I saw in the movie theatre, was more enjoyed by me at home in MY home theatre environment.  But ALL blockbuster movies, you name them, from ALL Star Wars movies to James Bond to Arnold action movies to everything that has to deal with huge production costs and special effects are better enjoyed IN a movie theatre.  

You could choose to say that you would prefer your home, your choice, your freedoms, but please dont put your prefernces on me. Because THAT is exactly what you are trying to do.  

Poo pooing huge production movies and Arena rock performances with legendary groups perhaps performing for the very last time is not a very open minded kind of thinking.  

Your choice your freedoms. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

Guess as I have gotten older

Im guessing you were NEVER the type to enjoy all that to begin with. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

I expect better quality of performance and experience

Still subjective...

22 minutes ago, David said:

experience than to try and live in my college days of loud concert venues.

Like I said...it seems to me you NEVER enjoyed that to begin with...

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

You too, can enjoy what you enjoy...   

Subjective.

remember...YOU are the one to judge.

Sure. 

But that is the reality of...ARENA rock.  You know...the rock-n-roll OF the 1960s all the way to the early 1990s.

Started by the likes of THE Rolling Stones in the 1960s  and perfected by all sorts of bands in the 1970s like Pink Floyd and Kiss and was THE standard in the 1980s.  Bud, that would be almost 30 years of rockers rockin' in venues like that.  And you kinda missed the point.   Those types of venues were NOT about the accoustics... 

Pink Floyd, well, one member started loathing himself and the band and life and the band broke up because of that. 

And yes.  YOU do you.

NOBODY told you to do otherwise.  

But you got to understand, KISS and The Rolling Stones do well in huge venues.  The artist you chose to highlight to us is NOT Arena rock.   She wont do well in that environment.  Guess what though.  Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis jr. wont either.   

Please put some percpective in what you wanna whine about. 

And it would be YOUR choice to do so.  I too, enjoy that.

But yet again, a big blockbuster of a movie was meant to be enjoyed in a movie theatre.

Shawshank Redemption, which I saw in the movie theatre, was more enjoyed by me at home in MY home theatre environment.  But ALL blockbuster movies, you name them, from ALL Star Wars movies to James Bond to Arnold action movies to everything that has to deal with huge production costs and special effects are better enjoyed IN a movie theatre.  

You could choose to say that you would prefer your home, your choice, your freedoms, but please dont put your prefernces on me. Because THAT is exactly what you are trying to do.  

Poo pooing huge production movies and Arena rock performances with legendary groups perhaps performing for the very last time is not a very open minded kind of thinking.  

Your choice your freedoms. 

Im guessing you were NEVER the type to enjoy all that to begin with. 

Still subjective...

Like I said...it seems to me you NEVER enjoyed that to begin with...

I loved the large concerts in my college days, and am not whining about it, but stating what i see as way too many people thinking these 80 year old prunes are worth your hard earned money when they cannot dance, sing or over all perform like they did 30 to 40 years ago.

Perfect example is Queen, Awesome music and if they come to Seattle I would pay money to see Adam Lambert sing those songs. The music is great even still for the old band mates and same with Rolling Stones, Who, etc. Musicians tend to have a longer better life in playing the music than the singers do.

Find a young man who can perform the way Mick Jagger did 30 to 40 years ago and have them sing the songs while the current band plays and I am there to rock out.

Your right that Jazz and the Frank Sinatra types would not do well in a Cement style large multiple thousand stadium.

Depending on what you put into your Home Theater, the experience can be every bit as good if not better than a Theater.

Yes, screen size does matter, surround sound and add On's such as chair vibrators help to really send home the experience. 

Considering how dirty and smelly the theaters are, even the new ones that have leather chairs and serve food with adult beverages, I have not seen a reason to see any Movie anymore at a theater. But then most do not have a theater like I have, so as you say, the experience is very different from home to theater for most people.

• Facepalm 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:49 AM, David said:

I loved the large concerts in my college days, and am not whining about it, but stating what i see as way too many people thinking these 80 year old prunes are worth your hard earned money when they cannot dance, sing or over all perform like they did 30 to 40 years ago.

Perfect example is Queen, Awesome music and if they come to Seattle I would pay money to see Adam Lambert sing those songs. The music is great even still for the old band mates and same with Rolling Stones, Who, etc. Musicians tend to have a longer better life in playing the music than the singers do.

Find a young man who can perform the way Mick Jagger did 30 to 40 years ago and have them sing the songs while the current band plays and I am there to rock out.

Your right that Jazz and the Frank Sinatra types would not do well in a Cement style large multiple thousand stadium.

Depending on what you put into your Home Theater, the experience can be every bit as good if not better than a Theater.

Yes, screen size does matter, surround sound and add On's such as chair vibrators help to really send home the experience. 

Considering how dirty and smelly the theaters are, even the new ones that have leather chairs and serve food with adult beverages, I have not seen a reason to see any Movie anymore at a theater. But then most do not have a theater like I have, so as you say, the experience is very different from home to theater for most people.

You dont have to be such a Debbie Downer...  There is no reason for it. 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

When I need to put myself in a good mood, I might listen to this, which is in my collection.  It never ceases to be amazing. 

Within this genre, there are a lot of musical artists, many of whom were African-American (some still are!) who had some one hit wonders.  Andrea True and "More, More, More" make me chuckle because she was a good Catholic girl that went wild:  daughter of European immigrants to Nashville, Catholic high school graduate, got herself into Vanderbilt, left it to become a porn star, and then became a disco singer. 

However, Donna Summer rules the roost through that incredible voice that is consistent across her work, but this song is her pinnacle.

I was in a funk when I learned she passed away.   R.I.P. Donna.

This lady owned this genre of music in the '70s and the late Tina Turner, with a very different sultry and spirited voice, owned the derivation of that pop genre in the '80s.  R.I.P. Tina.

- - - - -

SgbTIYdZiqGuSA3b34=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

When we were little kids, my parents would take us to MacArthur Park at Wilshire and Alvarado to walk around, feed the ducks, and ride the pedalboats.  Today's MacArthur Park in Los Angeles is far from the wholesome place it once was.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I heard this and it definitely was a unique song and hit.

I looked up singer Kim Carnes.  A lot of interesting info:  native of Los Angeles, ONE marriage for being in that industry and in that town, and now living in Nashville.  The places Angelenos have ended up moving to in the last 20 or so years never ceases to amaze me.

When I think of this song, I then wonder why no one wrote a similar song about Charlotte Rampling.  Those eyes are her "trademark."

image.thumb.png.0dc014753850f0783abdc11f16e6e976.png

I'm sure she has fewer doubles running around than Bette Davis did.  LOL

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1