What Are You Listening To?

Original Led Zeppelin at Madison Square Gardens 1973.

So Freakin HOT HOT HOT Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I hate myself for loving you!

• Agree 1

We can only wonder whatever became of the likes of King Harvest and even the Silver Convention, seen here ...

I randomly thought of this song when I was in a cool bird sanctuary venue, complete with a few alligators, along the Gulf last month.

Their thrusting motions with their elbows during their routine are odd and/or dated.  Ulterior motive?

• Haha 2

On 3/2/2021 at 11:00 PM, David said:

Heart - Barracuda Time!!!

The Wilson sisters are touted as Seattleites, and they are/were.  But I believe they were born in San Diego. Thinking "Dreamboat Annie."

"Smooth Operator" might be my favorite Sade song because I heard it while crossing the GW from NYC to NJ, but this one is fairly slick.

• Agree 2

Local rocker Michael Stanley passed away at age 72 of lung cancer...saw him in concert a couple times back in the early 90s.

'My Town' (about Cleveland) got some airplay on MTV in the '80s, remember the video from back then...

https://www.cleveland.com/galleries/KUR7OQOEKVEIPNORS7XOSXPOWA/

• Agree 4

On 2/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, David said:

Loving this Jazz Album - Jay Soto Album Mesmerized

Wanting something different to listen to, going to give this a try. 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:29 PM, David said:

A little Twisted Sister for the Evening!!! :D 

I used to like them back in my high school days...

Love the video, just who in the hell had those ladies ride around in that ugly old red MOPAR ragtop? 

(Sarcasm...)

• Agree 2

I dunno.

Something about what the Vatican stated yesterday or today (yada yada yada homosexuality and not condoning it bullshyte...)  and Drew's motorcycle (and Drew himself with his latest profile pic)

Drew Dowdell

Something happened to my memory banks and this song just popped up...out of nowhere...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 1

I feel very alone in this regard:  I have always found this song painful to listen to.

So, I sometimes listen to it for a laugh and to think of the metalheads who thought they were "too cool for school," doing "air drums" while listening to this or singing it.

They didn't like it too much when I (sometimes with a friend or a coworker) would parody its wailing refrain:

Aa-ah-ah ... ah!

Aa-ah-ah ... ah!

• Agree 1

Can't get enough of this sh!t.  Music used to have much more passion that went into it.  The lead singer here is really into it and can hold some of those difficult notes.

Some say this is the quintessential disco song.  I've read that some musical experts think that "More, More, More" is.

Either way, those that approximate the Top 10 of this genre make for one incredible anthology.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Very sad.  I just learned from the homepage that Jessica Walter died yesterday.  There weren't many carbon copies of her, like there are with some run of the mill movie stars, and this is what she looked like if you don't remember her or the name.

173526__46296.1342532943.380.500.jpg?c=2

MV5BMTkyNjA5NTA1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjU0

RIP Jessica Walter

She played the obsessed fan-listener in "Play Misty for Me" who stalked a DJ in Monterey-Carmel, CA played by Clint Eastwood, and repeatedly called in the following song - the Errol Garner version as opposed to the later Johnny Mathis and Ray Stevens versions.  She hit a home run with that one.  Also, there is incredible footage of the Central California coast at Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur in that movie.

Also, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack was in this movie, and in the scene that probably got it its R rating.  We know @oldshurst442  likes that song a lot, as do many people with good taste.

• Agree 2

Some comments suggest that this is more suited to be the official song of NYC than Sinatra's "New York, New York."  I'd be okay with that.

Highlights:

- the first 25 seconds, when some local dudes are presumably near Times Square and then an early '80s Buick full size wagon, possibly with wood grain, just happens to pull up, an occupant lifts the hood, and it starts belching smoke ... and one drunken guy falls over the fire hydrant (seems to be ok)

- at 1:45, why is it that so many NYC taxi cabs used to be shown bouncing up and down like this on TV and movies ... soft suspensions, worn shocks, bad roads, or a little of all of these?

These were the days.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Haha 1

I like the song. Cant really explain why.  I dont really like the '60s original. I guess its the catchy '80s pop twist about it that makes me like it now...and especially back then.   

I wasnt too keen about admitting to liking this song then.  

Problem is...30 years later and she STILL cant sing for shyte.  Still prefer the '80s version. But Im not so embarrassed to admit I like it now!    (Or maybe I still should be?) 

At 48 years old...and she is NO Tina Turner...

Tina can sing and she's a FOX!   

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Got this on vinyl the other day and it was almost a shame to break the shrink wrap on it.

IMG_9021.thumb.jpeg.5e4d33625eba39ef8d18b3e37f4c8512.jpeg

IMG_9022.jpeg

I don’t know the album, but it reminded me that I need to get a new turntable. Mine is malfunctioning. Even though the speed is set correctly it seems to be playing faster than 33 but not quite 45. It’s just enough off for you to think “something is not right here “ but not fast enough to be the Chipmunks.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don’t know the album, but it reminded me that I need to get a new turntable. Mine is malfunctioning. Even though the speed is set correctly it seems to be playing faster than 33 but not quite 45. It’s just enough off for you to think “something is not right here “ but not fast enough to be the Chipmunks.

It was Cornell's first solo album after Soundgarden broke up and it is an absolute lyrical masterpiece and total "thinking mood" album. 

The turntable was actually free (sans the needle I to replace) but I had meaning to get one for years and once I finally got this one a year ago, I decided to slowly boost my LP collection. Very bad news for my bank account, to be honest but hey, you only live once.

Regarding your turntable, it is most likely a worn belt, which is very easy to replace, assuming your model is available. Bad belts create inconsistent drag on the record.

Edited by surreal1272
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

It was Cornell's first solo album after Soundgarden broke up and it is an absolute lyrical masterpiece and total "thinking mood" album. 

The turntable was actually free (sans the needle I to replace) but I had meaning to get one for years and once I finally got this one a year ago, I decided to slowly boost my LP collection. Very bad news for my bank account, to be honest but hey, you only live once.

Regarding your turntable, it is most likely a worn belt, which is very easy to replace, assuming your model is available. Bad belts create inconsistent drag on the record.

I could understand a worn belt making the record play slower or inconsistently, but I'm not sure how it would make it play faster.  Anyway, it's a 30ish year old el'cheapo unit from Bradlies (anyone remember that chain?) and it is connected to an oversized stereo.  I'm going to get something that hooks up to my surround sound either via USB or Bluetooth and downsize substantially. 

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I could understand a worn belt making the record play slower or inconsistently, but I'm not sure how it would make it play faster.  Anyway, it's a 30ish year old el'cheapo unit from Bradlies (anyone remember that chain?) and it is connected to an oversized stereo.  I'm going to get something that hooks up to my surround sound either via USB or Bluetooth and downsize substantially. 

Belts are normally $5-10 but I get wanting to “up your game” especially since you said what it was 30 years old. Mine happened to be an older Sony but the belt was easy to find given that it was a common brand, at least. There are a lot of nice Bluetooth options out there. 

31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Belts are normally $5-10 but I get wanting to “up your game” especially since you said what it was 30 years old. Mine happened to be an older Sony but the belt was easy to find given that it was a common brand, at least. There are a lot of nice Bluetooth options out there. 

I'm sure I could find one... I just want something a bit better.

This is what I am aiming for. 

https://amzn.to/2OhVU9M

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

My son got this one and it is very nice, solid and just works.

Amazon.com: Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT-BK Fully Automatic Wireless Belt-Drive Turntable (Black) (ATLP60XBTBK): AUDIO-TECHNICA: Electronics

54 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'm sure I could find one... I just want something a bit better.

This is what I am aiming for. 

https://amzn.to/2OhVU9M

Denon makes sweet Gear! :metal:

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, David said:

This is the one I plan on getting for my living room.

501352217_ScreenShot2021-04-01at4_24_47PM.thumb.png.64aba4bdd732b541c270264d7162ab32.png

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I inherited many 33s from my mom. All Greek music. Some real old stuff.  I bought an ION one maybe 15 years ago and I just installed it about a month ago. I am planning to transfer them unto a digital device whether its my computer or whatever. Ive been saying Ill be transferring them for...15 years now.  I took it out of the box a month ago...  I know it works...   Maybe in another 15 years Ill actually get around to doing it and Ill visit this very thread and tell you folk how it went... 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I inherited many 33s from my mom. All Greek music. Some real old stuff.  I bought an ION one maybe 15 years ago and I just installed it about a month ago. I am planning to transfer them unto a digital device whether its my computer or whatever. Ive been saying Ill be transferring them for...15 years now.  I took it out of the box a month ago...  I know it works...   Maybe in another 15 years Ill actually get around to doing it and Ill visit this very thread and tell you folk how it went... 

I have an ION I bought from @Paolino a bunch of years ago.  Software support for it is virtually nil now. Instead of trying to get the ion software to work, download Audacity for free and use the record player as a Mic input. It will save hours of frustration.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That looks cool. I need 78 though. I have all of my grandparents records and I haven’t been able to play them.

Luckily, I don’t have that “issue” lol. The acrylic plates on these are super smooth and they will never warp, which is a “win win” for me.

• Agree 1

You guys will probably hit up Amazon after reading this.
2018's "Now That's What I Call Dad Rock"

1. “We Will Rock You” – Queen
2. “Start Me Up” – The Rolling Stones
3. “With Or Without You” – U2
4. “Livin’ On A Prayer” – Bon Jovi
5. “Radioactive” – Imagine Dragons
6. “Mr. Brightside” – The Killers
7. “Dakota” – Stereophonics
8 “Take Me To Church” – Hozier
9. “Rockstar” – Nickelback
10. “Sweet Home Alabama” – Lynyrd Skynyrd
11. “More Than A Feeling” – Boston
12. “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper’ – Blue Oyster Cult
13. “Bat Out Of Hell” – Meat Loaf
14. “Ace Of Spades” – Motörhead
15. “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” – The Clash
16. “The Jam” – Town Called Malice
17. “Two Princes” – Spin Doctors
18. “She’s So Lovely” – Scouting For Girls
19. “Chelsea Dagger” – The Fratellis
20. “Rocks” – Primal Scream
21. “Africa” – Toto
22. “Don’t You (Forget About Me)” – Simple Minds
23. There She Goes – The La’s
24. “I Wanna Be Adored” – The Stone Roses
25. “Everybody’s Changing” – Keane
26. “How To Save A Life” – The Fray
27. “Hold Back The River’ – James Bay
28. “Ho Hey” – The Lumineers
29. “All Right Now” – Free
30. “Smoke On The Water” – Deep Purple
31. “Search And Destroy” – Iggy & The Stooges
32. “Are You Gonna Go My Way” – Lenny Kravitz
33. “Walk This Way” – RUN-DMC feat. Aerosmith
34. “(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)” – The Beastie Boys
35. “Stacy’s Mom” – Fountains Of Wayne
36. “Buck Rogers” – Feeder
37. “All The Small Things” – blink-182
38. “Crazy Crazy Nights” – Kiss
39. “Addicted To Love” – Robert Palmer
40. “The Final Countdown” – Europe
41. “Teenage Dirtbag” – Wheatus
42. “Kids” – MGMT
43. “In Too Deep” – Sum 41
44. “America” – Razorlight
45. “Complicated” – Avril Lavigne
46. “Torn” – Natalie Imbruglia
47. “The Sound” – The 1975
48. “Pompeii” – Bastille
49. “Naive” – The Kooks
50. “Breakfast At Tiffany’s” – Deep Blue Something
51. “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” – Bachman – Turner Overdrive
52. “I Shot The Sheriff” – Eric Clapton
53. “Can’t Fight This Feeling” – REO Speedwagon
54. “Maggie May” – Rod Stewart
55. “Sharp Dressed Man” – ZZ Top
56. “Born To Be Wild” – Steppenwolf
57. “Here I Go Again ‘87” – Whitesnake
58. “Eye Of The Tiger” – Survivor
59. “Love Is The Drug” – Roxy Music

Me; I'm reaching for a hammer. I can listen to about 5 of those, but I don't want to listen to any.

• Haha 1

My wife is watching a TV show called 911 right now.  And so 2 songs start playing that I havent heard since the late '80s. 

Miss them times!   Well, I dont really miss those times. I love my life where its at now.  But, it was a great time for me then too!   

I guess, so far, my life's been good!   

On 3/31/2021 at 6:56 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I like the song. Cant really explain why.  I dont really like the '60s original. I guess its the catchy '80s pop twist about it that makes me like it now...and especially back then.   

I wasnt too keen about admitting to liking this song then.  

Problem is...30 years later and she STILL cant sing for shyte.  Still prefer the '80s version. But Im not so embarrassed to admit I like it now!    (Or maybe I still should be?) 

At 48 years old...and she is NO Tina Turner...

Tina can sing and she's a FOX!   

I love me some Tina, and there is a great story about that last song and F1 great Ayrton Senna...

• Agree 1

While listening to a true crime podcast, in each episode I hear the dopey GM 'Generation E' ad...some generic Millennial woman intoning about 'optimism instead of exhaust' and something instead of the 'roar of an engine'...no mention about the cost, of course...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1