2011 Buick Lucerne Sketch by Blackviper8891
Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Published 07/30/07, 11:29 am et

AT A GLANCE:
FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS
Enclave crossover debuts

Re-engineered, restyled LaCrosse

Lucerne redesign

----------------------

Can Buick be an American Lexus if it's designed in China?

The brand is a hot seller in China, which has become Buick's top market. And the Riviera concept that debuted in April at the Shanghai auto show - a product designed in China - reveals Buick's new global look.

Now GM wants to position Buick as an affordable luxury brand in the United States. In a few years, the automaker will find out whether U.S. consumers embrace Buick's Chinese connection.

Excelle: China's redesigned compact sedan debuts there in late 2008 or early 2009. The car will be built on GM's new global front-drive vehicle architecture being developed in Germany.

GM insiders say the Excelle is being considered for the United States. The car likely would be exported here, a GM source says. The new small Buick sedan is similar in size to the Toyota Corolla.

LaCrosse: Drawing on Buick's Super heritage of 50 years ago, the 2008 LaCrosse adds a Super model and its first V-8 - a 5.3-liter engine that delivers 300 hp. The car's exterior is distinguished by fender portholes.

Although the styling of the current LaCrosse has been compared to that of the previous-generation Ford Taurus, the next-generation LaCrosse will be a stylish, upscale-looking sedan. The restyled LaCrosse is slated for the 2010 model year on GM's re-engineered Epsilon 2 vehicle architecture. Front- and all-wheel-drive versions are planned.

In China, Buick will sell essentially the same LaCrosse beginning in 2010.

Lucerne: A redesign is slated for the 2011 model year, when the Lucerne switches to GM's global rear-drive platform. Initially, the car is expected to be imported from Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary. Later, Lucerne production likely will switch to the Oshawa, Ontario, assembly plant.

GM's rwd platform is slated for a range of brands including Holden, Opel and Daewoo, along with the upcoming Chevrolet Camaro and 2008 Pontiac G8. To distinguish models among brands, the lengths of the wheelbase and front and rear overhangs can be adjusted.

This year, Buick's China operations introduced the 2007 rwd Park Avenue at the Shanghai motor show. That car is assembled by Holden and is the vehicle architecture the U.S. model eventually will share.

Riviera: Maybe it is time to turn back the clock. The stylish, two-door, rwd Riviera concept was one of the talked-about surprises at this year's Shanghai auto show. Buick's U.S. dealers need an image-maker like this elegant coupe to attract new buyers. The Riviera concept showcases the new global styling language for Buick.

An announcement on the Riviera is likely at January's Detroit auto show, says a GM source.

Enclave: The mid-sized 2008 Enclave crossover replaces the Rainier SUV, Rendezvous crossover and Terraza minivan. Sales began about two months ago. The Enclave was developed on GM's new fwd Lambda architecture along with the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia. GM likely will offer a V-8 engine next year.

There are no plans to sell the Enclave in China.

Rainier: The 2007 model ends the Rainier's production run.

Rendezvous: Ditto. The 2007 model is the last.

Terraza: Finis. 2007 is the last model year.

Hopefully, the success of Buick in China will ensure that Buick will be strengthened with a collection of upscale and competitive products in the near luxury field.

I am glad to see the minivan disappear. This badge engineered disaster definitely did not fit well with the image of the brand.

I hope the Excelle replacement (I hope the name changes; I heard the "Skylark" moniker might reappear; "Excelle" brings back mid 80's Hyundai nightmares) is not simply a badge engineered Chevy Cobalt with a Buick grill. Everything the customer sees and interacts with needs to be distinct and upscale for this car to succeed.

I hope the LaCrosse replacement's design lives up to the promises made in this article. The current design looks too much like a Ford Taurus warm-over. The name needs to change; I heard rumors that it will be called "Regal".

I hope the Lucerne's rear wheel drive replacement does not continue with the "Lucerne" name. The current Chinese product is called "Park Avenue". That model name would work, as well as "LeSabre", "Electra", or "Invicta". I looked up the term "lucerne" in the dictionary the other day; it means "alfalfa". I know this is not the origin of the model name. I am sure this car is named after the resort city in Switzerland; I just wonder how many Buick customers are aware of this origin.

Should the Riviera be a traditional two door coupe or a four door coupe design like the Mercedes CLS? I know it has always had only two doors, but would it sell better with a four door configuration. If it is a halo car for the brand, I guess the sales figures would not matter as much as retaining the historic image.

I still think Buick needs a smaller crossover based on the Saturn Vue platform with styling inspired by the beautiful Buick Enclave. It needs to look and feel completely different from the Saturn Vue. They could retain the "Rendezvous" model name for the new and greatly improved vehicle.

Edited by cire

I'm excited about the idea of the Excelle. With baby boomers hitting the age of retirement, it should be a huge hit, IF DONE RIGHT!

The Excelle is the type of car GM needs to show that they can make cars with great gas mileage that are worth owning.

The name Excelle has got to go. I think of the 80s Hyundai Excel. Of all the names in Buick's glorious past, they can come up with a better name.

The Riviera is in all likelihood a go. I read somewhere Buick in China wants to make a big splash for the 2008 Olympics. This would do it.

Portholes. They must be on all Buicks. It is a distinctive feature that only Buick and Maserati share.

Portholes. They must be on all Buicks. It is a distinctive feature that only Buick and Maserati share.

and the chevy cavalier, Kia Sedona, Dodge Neon, Ford Excursion, Chrysler 300 and 1985 Dodge Caravan and Lexus ES..... depending on what part of the city you're in.....

and the chevy cavalier, Kia Sedona, Dodge Neon, Ford Excursion, Chrysler 300 and 1985 Dodge Caravan and Lexus ES..... depending on what part of the city you're in.....

Don't forget 2008 CTS, STS, Vue, Ford 500... everyone is putting them.

I do not want to see the Excelle here... I just don't think of Buick as a compact car. A small midsize, fine, but a compact, no.

I have to say, I'm hoping they leave just one "barge" for Buick... being that Cadillac is getting away from them. I absolutely love boats... I know they're not the most popular thing now, but I think they need something for private limos and such.

I'm not too keen on the idea of a compact Buick however if done right it could really boost Buicks image and allow those who want a Buick name to be within affordable reach. But "Excelle" is a terrible name... call it a Skylark and if it's done right Buick and GM can hopefully give the name a little bit of respect back that it deserves that was removed with the two previous generations.

(...)

LaCrosse:(...)

Although the styling of the current LaCrosse has been compared to that of the previous-generation Ford Taurus(...)

:rotflmao:

Id call the "excelle" a Skylark or an Invicta here. the next lacrosse to be built on Epsilion and built alongside the next generation Pontiac G6 in Orion Michigan, its rumored to be called the Regal..

I would make the Riviera on the Zeta platform it would be a reskinned next generation GTO.

the lucerne would be a large zeta sedan that would challenge the Chrysler 300.

Id call the "excelle" a Skylark or an Invicta here. the next lacrosse to be built on Epsilion and built alongside the next generation Pontiac G6 in Orion Michigan, its rumored to be called the Regal..

I would make the Riviera on the Zeta platform it would be a reskinned next generation GTO.

the lucerne would be a large zeta sedan that would challenge the Chrysler 300.

Preferred:

Compact Buick = Skylark

Midsize Buick = Regal

Zeta Sedan = Park Avenue

Zeta Coupe/Convertible = Riviera

Compact CUV = Rendezvous

- The Pontiac G8 will be the Chrysler 300 competitor (and rightfully so... IIRC the Pontiac Bonneville was GM's original competitor to Chrysler's 300-Series.) The Impala will take on the Dodge Charger. The Buick Zeta will have a much higher starting price than the 300 and will also be larger than the 300.

Not enough is happening..this will do no more than sustain current sales..which have slipped enough - Buick needs to find a way to boost sales and the Enclave alone won't do it.

The future should be more like this:

Enclave crossover debuts

Re-engineered, restyled LaCrosse from china

Riviera coupe in some form or another

Lucerne redesign (in the form of bringing the Park Ave here)

Consider Velite convertible

Buick will never be Lexus or close to it. Buick isn't even at Lincoln level. Look at either sedan in CX trim, they have a cloth bench seat and fake wood and hardly any features. I really don't see Buick getting new buyers. The current cars are bad, that is why Oldsmobile buyers didn't go to Buick and probably went to Japanese brands. Toyota builds a mush riding sedan and does it with better materials than Buick uses. And the imports have DOHC engines with 250+ hp and not a 3800 with a 4 speed auto from the 80s.

Current Buick owners are the only people that will buy a future Buick. Personally I wouldn't even make them past 2011, and would send them off with Oldsmobile. The market is changing, Buick still builds the same style of car that sold in the 80s, hardly anyone buys a car like that anymore, buyers want different and even if Buick builds different, people won't notice or they will refuse to buy it because of the badge on the front. I am one of those people, I like GM cars and I wouldn't ever buy a Buick no matter what they make because of the image they have.

Buick will never be Lexus or close to it. Buick isn't even at Lincoln level. Look at either sedan in CX trim, they have a cloth bench seat and fake wood and hardly any features. I really don't see Buick getting new buyers. The current cars are bad, that is why Oldsmobile buyers didn't go to Buick and probably went to Japanese brands. Toyota builds a mush riding sedan and does it with better materials than Buick uses. And the imports have DOHC engines with 250+ hp and not a 3800 with a 4 speed auto from the 80s.

Current Buick owners are the only people that will buy a future Buick. Personally I wouldn't even make them past 2011, and would send them off with Oldsmobile. The market is changing, Buick still builds the same style of car that sold in the 80s, hardly anyone buys a car like that anymore, buyers want different and even if Buick builds different, people won't notice or they will refuse to buy it because of the badge on the front.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but luckily for Buick, yours isn't the only one out there. Buick is profitable globally and sales are increasing even if not in the US at the moment. Enclave is the beginning of several things to change at Buick. The LaCrosse replacement and Zeta vehicle(s) will continue to move Buick further up market.

I am one of those people, I like GM cars and I wouldn't ever buy a Buick no matter what they make because of the image they have.

This is why GM needs multiple divisions. If you're already a fan of other GM divisions, why should Buick want you or even go after you?

Yeah. That Avalon is a high-quality piece. Give me a 3800 and a 4-speed over a blustery 3.5l and erratic Toyota transmission any day.

I think Buick is going to have a huge impact on the luxury car market. Only thing missing from the plan above is a new FWD Lucerne/DTS with state of art motors/trannys.

Yeah. That Avalon is a high-quality piece. Give me a 3800 and a 4-speed over a blustery 3.5l and erratic Toyota transmission any day.

:lol::pokeowned:

LaCrosses are about $22,000 base now, and are always discounted, Lucerne about $25,000 and discounted. Most Luxury cars base closer to $33,000 and easily go toward 40 or more. I doubt Buick will give up on the cheapy cloth interiors and fake wood either, they rely on (older) buyers that are in chevy price range but don't want a chevy. The new Malibu will be priced very similar to a LaCrosse, yet the Malibu is middle class, LaCrosse is luxury?

My thoughts on GM are like this. They have 8-9 brands, more around the world, say 12 total. Toyota has 3, (4 if you count Dihatsu). So if both companies spend $12 billion on new models, GM spends 1 billion per brand, Toyota spend about 4 billion per brand. Toyota has fewer overall models too. I know GM shares among cars, but with all these brands and models they stretch the budget thin. I'd rather see a couple brands phased out, so they can pump up the others into best n in the world.

check out gminsidenews.com smk4565 has an obsession with hating Buick. scores of posts railing on Buick. he just found a new site to repeatedly say "kill buick" over and over again. get ready, it's gonna get real tiring and at times nonsensical. it would be great if he offered real suggestions for buick. but rather than accept the fact buick is actually a growing brand internationally and has the best quality ratings of any gm brand and a great heritage, he just bashes the brand every chance he gets.

Back during the Snitz days, brand-specific moderators could ban members from different sub-forums if they created problems or constantly bashed without contributing anything to the topics. This policy may be revisited if it continues. (FYI... I was the Buick Forum Moderator.)

check out gminsidenews.com smk4565 has an obsession with hating Buick. scores of posts railing on Buick. he just found a new site to repeatedly say "kill buick" over and over again. get ready, it's gonna get real tiring and at times nonsensical. it would be great if he offered real suggestions for buick. but rather than accept the fact buick is actually a growing brand internationally and has the best quality ratings of any gm brand and a great heritage, he just bashes the brand every chance he gets.

Buick sales were down 26.5% in July, 3rd worst decline of any brand, Hummer was down 27%, (I am thinking Hummer should have never been a brand, just one GMC model as a niche vehicle like the Toyota FJ Cruiser is.) Buick is on pace for about 200,000 sales this year, down from 242,000 last year and down from 980,000 20 years ago. They have lost about 30-40,000 sales per year for 20 years, regardless of quality ratings or products. The image hasn't changed, the sales keep dropping. The imports built better cars too.

Heritage doesn't sell cars, Lexus has 17 years of existence vs over 100 each for Buick and Cadillac and Lexus easily outsells them. People care about image of the car, not what it was 50 years ago.

Everything Buick tried hasn't worked for 20 years, maybe it was lack of effort, maybe incompetence, I suspect poor image was a lot of it. At this point, it would take billions to get good cars into Buick, and billions more to change their image. I'd rather see those billions spent on Chevy. Financially GM just doesn't have the money to fix every brand, Toyota spends about double per vehicle investment than GM does. How can GM make a better car with half the money? They can't, that is why they make a 3800 w-body buick and rely on fleet sales.

I would kill Saab first though, that is a huge waste of money and the cars are unreliable. Hummer isn't performing well either, and making a cheaper one doesn't really help, that works for a year or 2, then the brand image drops, Jaguar learned that with the X-type.

Basically, I'd trade all of Buick for 1 great (not good, truly great benchmark) Chevy that would sell 400,000 cars a year without fleet sales.

Edited by smk4565

Buick Excelle for N.America?

I hope that is just some scary, horrifying rumor.

At times, I have to question why I like Buick. That affection is really based on it's distant past.

The Buick of today is so far removed from what it once was that it's not even recognizable.

Everytime I see a mediocre Lucerne or LaCrosse/Allure, or the hideous Rendezvous, the insipid Terraza,

the who cares Rainier, I just cringe.

Edited by HarleyEarl

Buick sales were down 26.5% in July, 3rd worst decline of any brand, Hummer was down 27%, (I am thinking Hummer should have never been a brand, just one GMC model as a niche vehicle like the Toyota FJ Cruiser is.) Buick is on pace for about 200,000 sales this year, down from 242,000 last year and down from 980,000 20 years ago. They have lost about 30-40,000 sales per year for 20 years, regardless of quality ratings or products. The image hasn't changed, the sales keep dropping. The imports built better cars too.

Heritage doesn't sell cars, Lexus has 17 years of existence vs over 100 each for Buick and Cadillac and Lexus easily outsells them. People care about image of the car, not what it was 50 years ago.

Everything Buick tried hasn't worked for 20 years, maybe it was lack of effort, maybe incompetence, I suspect poor image was a lot of it. At this point, it would take billions to get good cars into Buick, and billions more to change their image. I'd rather see those billions spent on Chevy. Financially GM just doesn't have the money to fix every brand, Toyota spends about double per vehicle investment than GM does. How can GM make a better car with half the money? They can't, that is why they make a 3800 w-body buick and rely on fleet sales.

I would kill Saab first though, that is a huge waste of money and the cars are unreliable. Hummer isn't performing well either, and making a cheaper one doesn't really help, that works for a year or 2, then the brand image drops, Jaguar learned that with the X-type.

Basically, I'd trade all of Buick for 1 great (not good, truly great benchmark) Chevy that would sell 400,000 cars a year without fleet sales.

First thing, the majority of Buick's lost sales over the past decade+ come from the reduction of models (Including this year - phase-out of Rendezvous, Terraza, & Rainier.)

You fail to realize Buick and Cadillac are no longer about volume in the US. GM is targeting Chevrolet and Saturn as volume brands. GM is pushing for Cadillac and Buick to become (more) aspirational. Too much volume in the Premium market waters down the brand. GM does not require Buick to maintain 400k or 500k sales in the US to maintain profitability because Buick already achieves 500,000+ sales a year globally with the Chinese market. The consolidation of line-ups along with tightly focused attention to the premium segment will make Buick's vehicles competitive in today's luxury markets that have evolved considerably since Buick was considered a true premium competitor.

No matter how many billions of dollars you dump into Chevrolet, their vehicles will not sustain the same profit margin that premium/luxury vehicles do. Chevrolet will always be shopped and scrutinized on price. Volume is one thing, profitability is another. Buick and Cadillac can become very profitable with their current volumes. They’re not far off (and still surpass many) other profitable luxury brands.

When it comes to direct pricing and content, Chevrolet and Buick will not be interchangeable going forward. Historically speaking, that was only for a brief period anyway. Even now Buick's two sedans and Enclave CUV contain many features not found on any trim level in what you'd like to consider "comparable" Chevrolets: Memory seats (Luc & Enc), Magnetic Ride Control (Luc & Lax), load-leveling suspension (Luc), heated/ventilated seats (Luc & Enc), higher quality interior materials (All), quieter interiors (All), longer warranty (all), oscillating headlamps (Enc), and I'm positive I have left others out.

And to highlight this point once again, Buick is profitable as a brand. For this past quarter, if it wasn't for the one time charges for Delphi, GM US operations would have been profitable as a whole as well. Why continue to scream "KILL" KILL" KILL" when GM's turn around efforts are showing serious progress - especially when that progress includes Buick(China)?

>>"check out gminsidenews.com smk4565 has an obsession with hating Buick. scores of posts railing on Buick. he just found a new site to repeatedly say "kill buick" over and over again. get ready, it's gonna get real tiring and at times nonsensical."<<

Too late.

The reason why Buick was selling half a million cars a year in the 80s is because Buick had been an aspirational and reliable brand for decades and GM cashed in on that by making very cheap Buicks.

Put Lexus through the same cycle and see if they will be able to still be a company. The biggest reason for the reduction of Buicks was mismanagement at GM due to a problem that had never even remotely happened to them until the gas crisis - an influx of foreign brands. I do not really blame GM for mismanaging because they were blindsided as they were an unwieldy giant and small foreign brands were small and agile. It really did take them 20 years to be able to adjust to the current competition...

And in a lot of situations giant corporations typically manipulate the government in such a way through lobbyists in order to force something like Toyota or VW to have a raised price, but in respect to all of the big 3, they took it like a man and they did the adjusting instead of refusing competition...

Buick was able to go from positioned between Olds and Caddy to selling on par with Chevy, Pontiac, and Olds... forgotten about basically... and still were able to survive. GM did such an amazing job with that brand that loyalists kept buying even when the quality of Buicks went way down. Buick was able to start to pull out of the nose-dive in the late 90s boosting quality and now Buick is trimming off the fat and ready to be a current competitor that isn't awash in GM financial misery.

Fleet sales are down, the LaCrosse and Lucerne didn't abandon the previous generation fanbase (ask Oldsmobile why this is important) and the Enclave is on target, current, and extremely effective in everything from styling to luxuries to technology. And Buick shows no signs of playing dudley anymore with strictly 4 door vanilla vehicles. The fleet sales are low and the quality of each vehicle is high... forget the Rainier, forget the Terraza, they might've given Buick volume which is obviously important to you but they did not give Buick quality... going down the volume road leads Buick right back in the same predicament they were with in the 80s that took them 20 years to get out... and now you want them to revert and recycle back to it.... Buick is an amazing company for even surviving that tarnished image and just stands as a testament to what a great company can hold up against. Buick was practically forgotten for about a decade because their image sold everything while the cars stayed below entry-lux conditions. Now Buick is getting back on its horse and China shows every sign of ensuring Buick for the long run.

Relax and understand that you are looking at the tail-end of the declining sales. Buick has cut its inventory in more than half within the last half-decade so of course there will be a period of declined sales... but you can not say the Lucerne or the Enclave have been received poorly... I'll give you the LaCrosse even though it doesn't seem a detriment to Buick.

I am all for profit over fleet sale volume. But it really comes down to consumer demand. If demand is high, people will pay sticker price, resale values will be good. Buick does not have high demand, so they often have the $3500 off specials or 0% financing. Mercedes and BMW sell about 1 million cars each world wide, their image seems to be fine. I'd like to see Cadillac really improve sales of cars over $50,000 (of course they need new models for that), that is how I'd like to seem them boost sales, profit and image would rise too.

Buick is not a luxury brand, they even refer to themselves as a "premium" brand. Better than mainstream, but below luxury. Although since you can get a new Buick for $23,000 before the discounts, I don't see that as premium, when the cheapest car on the lot is $29,000 (and doesn't have $3000 cash back), then they are "premium."

I do blame GM for mismanagement in the 80s and 90s, they didn't realize the threat the imports posed, and they did nothing to change their ways, and now they are paying for it. They can recover, but they need to act fast and take action.

In the 90s when Buick had Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Riviera sales still declined. When They rose for 1 year when the Rendezvous was new. Then Olds died and they got the SUV and van, and sales still went down, in a year where they added models. The number of models doesn't matter, it is demand for the brand has dropped, that is why sales have dropped.

1 Chevy may not make the profit that a Buick can but they can sell far more Chevys. If they make a grand slam Malibu or Cobalt, they could sell over 300,000 a year, and without the heavy discounts. Then they are in a situation like Toyota is in, and they will become more profitable.

I want to see GM as the best car company in the world, and #1 in sales because their cars are the best, not because they had employee discount that month, or sold cars to Avis. I fear that with the number of brands and models, they can't finance them all, or pay to market them all. I have an Oldsmobile, it was sad they had to go, but GM is stronger with a more narrow product focus.

I fear that if this turnaround plan doesn't produce big results soon, Toyota will one day buy GM. That is the last thing I want to see happen. I think Toyota hasn't bought another car maker because they feel like they are buying someone else's mess and they can run opposition into the ground anyway. If I were in Toyota's position though, I would one day consider buying GM, and then who knows what they would do with it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0