Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mystik

Last Place Again

51 posts in this topic

Seems like they always have these doesnt it? I open the pages of my new Motor Trend, and see immediately: V-8 SPORT SEDAN SHOOTOUT M45 meets 545i meets E500 meets CADDY STS. I knew the result without opening the damn magazine. STS in last place. So what comments did they have on it? If I'm allowed to scan the entire article in here, I'll do so glady so you guys can see it. The idea in a nutshell is "GM's premium division continues to improve, but so do the rest." Complaints were that the Cadillac had too much interior noise and that switching from touring to performance was a nuisance. The running order were as follows; 1st Place: BMW 545i 2nd Place: Mercedes E500 3rd Place: Inifinty M45 4th Place: Caddy *sigh* Dont really know what else to say other than ugh.

Gotta agree with them, though. STS is NOT a breakthrough product.

I also glanced over this article. What happened to the days in which they did comparison tests and rated the different features using a points system? If I remember right, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, weren't the BMW and Mercedez the MOST expensive ones of the group? Not to say that the faults that they discussed weren't legit, but I would think that HIGHEST price would definately be a fault in my book. Not to pick over the placing of the vehicles, but wouldn't it be better, from a consumer's standpoint to know how they came across with their decision as opposed to making it seem completely opinionated?

I'm guessing if the STS had the ZF steering gear it would have beaten the E-Class. However, I think a lot of this comparo was based on driving dynamics, and the 545i and M45 are definetly tuned to be sportier than the STS, which is probably why they beat it.

Well, I gotta agree with the placement of them. I don't think the STS is worthy of first in any comparison (unless against a Jaguar or something... :P ). It's just not the stand-out product that it should be, imo.

Wonder why they didn't test the 2006 550i. It's the same price, has the same fuel economy, but 360 horsepower instead of 325.

Why wasn't the Lexus GS430 included?

I was loitering at the dealership again. A Chevy Impala and Cadillac STS were near each other, the sun was shining bright into the interiors and dash. Both the two toned tan affair. I was amazed....the Impala interior was superior to the Cadillac. I know much has been discussed about the Caddy interiors, but it is inexcusable for cars in the luxury category to be this ordinary.

If a Toyota and Lexus sit beside one another, the fit, finish & quality will be similar. Only the materials used will be different. Such can and should be the same for GM. I don't think it's as much that Cadillac is ordinary as Chevrolet's quality and appearance has increased dramatically with its most recent remodels. Yes... the STS can improve. It will continue to get better. The DTS’s interior is superior to the STS imo, and I'm sure the next CTS will show a dramatic step forward above the current STS as well. I don't know if the STS will receive a mid-life interior upgrade but the next generation will also continue the trend. There's only about $20k difference between the FWD V8 powered Impala SS and the STS V8 RWD performance sedan. I still believe you get your $20k worth with the STS. For that matter… the difference is far less between the Impala and the DTS and you definitely get your money's worth with the DTS.

the sts is the new kid on the block. i think that it will take some time for the sts to get at the top spot. afterall, those other cars have already been around the block a few times. imo, the sts is still working out it's 'kinks' but it will eventually be a class leader. so i am not surprised with the way it finished. Edited by pontiac1

Does the STS have a sport suspension package? I dont remember ever reading/hearing anything about it. If it doesn't it should. I think they made the the STS too soft for handling, but I love how it looks. I think whats hurting its sales the most is the CTS, being so similar in size, but costing much less. Anybody know when a new Northstar will be out? I think its a good time for the Northstar to be updated to about 350+hp. Even the 5.3 will be making more hp/torque than the Northstar.

I think whats hurting its sales the most is the CTS, being so similar in size, but costing much less. Anybody know when a new Northstar will be out? I think its a good time for the Northstar to be updated to about 350+hp.

[post="25768"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The STS is selling perfectly fine. It will easily make its sales goal this year.

The STS's Northstar IS the new Northstar. It's practically an all new engine for RWD/AWD applications. 320hp under normal aspiration and 469 hp supercharged is completely competitive in this market.

The 320 hp may increase in a year or two once the STS gets the 6-sp across the line-up, but a new Northstar will not be required for that.

the sts is the new kid on the block. i think that it will take some time for the sts to get at the top spot. afterall, those other cars have already been around the block a few times.

[post="25747"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not the M45.

BTW, the ranking above is incorrect. The M45 finished ahead of the E500. Edited by VarianceJ30

The STS is selling perfectly fine. It will easily make its sales goal this year.

The STS's Northstar IS the new Northstar. It's practically an all new engine for RWD/AWD applications. 320hp under normal aspiration and 469 hp supercharged is completely competitive in this market.

The 320 hp may increase in a year or two once the STS gets the 6-sp across the line-up, but a new Northstar will not be required for that.

[post="25794"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is only a 20hp increase in 12 years. Why should Cadillac just be competitive? Cadillac should be GMs best. I think they either need to give the Northstar more hp, or make a V10 or V12 Northstar.

That is only a 20hp increase in 12 years. Why should Cadillac just be competitive? Cadillac should be GMs best. I think they either need to give the Northstar more hp, or make a V10 or V12 Northstar.

[post="25813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They are making a V12 Northstar.

They are making a V12 Northstar.

[post="25816"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thats good news. I havent heard much about it recently, I just remember GM had the XV12 in the Cien, and I'm guessing it will be the top engine in the ULS(or whatever it will be called). It just seems like its taking forever to debut.

Thats good news. I havent heard much about it recently, I just remember GM had the XV12 in the Cien, and I'm guessing it will be the top engine in the ULS(or whatever it will be called). It just seems like its taking forever to debut.

[post="25827"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I don't know if it's a Northstar V12 or the XV12 or what ever they're going to call it. But, the future Cadillac flagship is suppose to have a V8 & V12. Last rumor was 2008 or 2009... Not sure, but it's suppose to still be coming.

Man...it'd be nice if the XLR had the supercharged Northstar standard, and the XLR-V had the V-12 northstar in it...

Gotta agree with them, though.  STS is NOT a breakthrough product.

[post="25517"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Have you driven one? I drove the v6 and Northstar at a R&T/C&D ride and drive event and the E500 felt like a overweight pig compared to the Northstar Caddy while the 530i had about a 1.25 second delay in throttle response. I wish I had the chance to drive the new BMW 545i but I have not. Edited by Sixty8panther

Have you driven one? I drove the v6 and Northstar at a R&T/C&D ride and drive event and the E500 felt like a overweight pig compared to the Northstar Caddy while the 530i had about a 1.25 second delay in throttle response. I wish I had the chance to drive the new BMW 545i but I have not.

[post="25942"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Without reading your post, lemme guess... you went to a Cadillac-sponsored driving event and the BMW lagged so it sucks.

Yeah, I was right.

Without asking your opinion, you obviously think Cadillac doctors all the cars to be in their favor. Yeah, I was right.

If nothing else I'd put money on the Cadillac having less issues and costing less to maintain over 60k miles.

Without asking your opinion, you obviously think Cadillac doctors all the cars to be in their favor.

Yeah, I was right.

[post="25998"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nope, you're wrong....

Really. Then of what relevence is the fact that where he drove both was at a

Cadillac-sponsored driving event

?

The STS is in no way a breakthrough product. It has a bland exterior, and a low-quality interior. Those plastics are hard, and their corners are SHARP! The center console is very hard and doesn't close with the solund of a solid product. The interior design is bland. The only thing going for the STS is the performance, and even then it is overpriced. If the interior actually had good materials in it and a less insipid design, I could forgive the exterior. But no. The product is watered down.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0