Van Halen won't be 'rockers with walkers': Roth

FAPTurbo

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...b=Entertainment

Van Halen won't be 'rockers with walkers': Roth

Updated Mon. Aug. 13 2007 8:37 PM ET

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- They're in their 50s now and they've traded their long heavy-metal locks for close-cropped cuts but the original members of Van Halen are back in business and promise they're better than ever.

"Usually, when a band comes back like us, it's rockers with walkers,'' frontman David Lee Roth said at the Los Angeles Four Seasons Hotel on Monday. "This is anything but.''

Van Halen held a news conference to announce a 25-date concert tour beginning Sept. 27 in Charlotte, N.C.

Canadian appearances are planned for Toronto on Oct. 7; Vancouver, Dec. 5; Edmonton, Dec. 9 and Calgary, Dec. 11.

The re-formed group features three original members -- Roth, guitarist Eddie Van Halen and drummer Alex Van Halen -- along with Eddie Van Halen's son, Wolfgang, on bass.

"This is not a reunion,'' said Roth, 51. "This is a whole new band.''

"It is totally blowing our minds and I think it will yours, too,'' said Eddie Van Halen, 52. "It's better than it's ever been.''

With its flamboyant frontman, "Diamond Dave,'' Van Halen was one of the most popular rock bands of the late 1970s and early '80s. But the group split up in 1985 and the original lineup hasn't performed together since.

"I'm shocked any of us are still vertical,'' Roth quipped.

He and Eddie Van Halen insisted the band's reunion isn't just a one-tour deal. After performing throughout North America, Van Halen plans to hit Asia and Australia.

"Then we make an album,'' Roth said, adding the group has "lots of dreams, lots of ambitions.''

"We really have re-formed this team like a brother team that it never was before,'' he said.

Wolfgang Van Halen, 16, brings "a young energy and a spirit'' to the band, Roth said, adding the teenage rocker chose the tour's song list, which features "close to 25 of your greatest hits.''

"You know every single song, you know every guitar lick, every woo, every kick, every jump, every drum lick,'' he said. "We can't afford to shirk that duty.''

The band has been rehearsing since October and plans to exceed fans' expectations, Roth said.

"None of us want to give you less than our best,'' said Eddie Van Halen. "And we are at our best.''

I'm not sure how many of you have seen Eddie since he left rehab, but he looks great! What a difference a haircut, and some new teeth will make.

Posted Image

Here's hoping this tour goes through, and the reviews are good, because they're coming my way, and I need a ticket. :D

I'm not sure how many of you have seen Eddie since he left rehab, but he looks great! What a difference a haircut, and some new teeth will make.

It's more than that: it's the clarity in his eyes, as the drug/alcohol/sex/whatever 'veils' are removed. A friend went to Metallica's Meet & Greet in Stockholm this year and she says she was telling me how impressed she was by James Hetfield's presence as a sober, in-the-moment person.

And, speaking of James and PCS' comment:

Eddie would look better if he ditches the gray beard.

Attached is a proper taliban-meets-bluegrass gray beard :smilewide: Edited by ZL-1

I heard some of the press conference on Eddie Trunk Live on XM 41. DLR is as funny and witty as ever. I hope this thing lasts (and isn't another cash grab) because rock sorely needs Van Halen. The bar has fallen too low in their absence.

I'll probably go to the concert. I saw them in '04 with Sammy, and despite Eddie being off I still was awestruck the entire night (and I got introduced to Shinedown). Given the last 11 years in the band's history, I'm going about this as the last time I'll ever get to see them again. Plus it's in MSG, which is only a 1.5hr ride on the LIRR for me.

It's fine, as long as he's a phenomenal bass player who can hit the high notes like Mikey did on the older songs. It'll be extremely cheesy if they resort to piping in background vocals. Wolfie's got a lot of pressure on him. We all remember what happened to Gary Cherone on the III tour. VH fans want what they want. I have to say, it's good on VH's part that they aren't trying to pass this off as a "reunion".

i like that VH is touring but honestly Mike Anthony needs to be a part of this. To have Wolfie do this is insulting. Even if he's good. Fans want to see MA.

Valerie bertinelli was a really cute plumper. Even when i was like 7, i always wanted to staple that.

Edited by regfootball

i like that VH is touring but honestly Mike Anthony needs to be a part of this. To have Wolfie do this is insulting. Even if he's good. Fans want to see MA.

Valerie bertinelli was a really cute plumper. Even when i was like 7, i always wanted to staple that.

They picked Wolfie for one reason only, more money! Greed is a terrible thing!

They picked Wolfie for one reason only, more money! Greed is a terrible thing!

Well, I think Alex and Eddie are also upset at him playing with Sammy Hagar as the 'Other 1/2' . '

With the way Anthony has been treated, I wouldn't blame him if he refused to tour.

I've heard a couple of theories as to why Mike's no longer in the band:

- Eddie's wanted Mike out since the early 80s, because he was dissatisfied with Mike's bass playing and his contributions to the songwriting

- Eddie and Alex both are really pissed at Mike for not calling of showing up when their father died.

- Eddie just wanted his son in the band to pass the legacy on to him

The whole thing with Sammy and Mike touring together is probably just a convenient excuse to get him out once and for all. I still think he should be in the band, but at this point he's better off. He's doing gigs that he enjoys with a close friend. We'll never know what happened, just like we'll never know what happened in 96 when Sammy and Dave both quit/were fired, and in 2004 after Sammy left again.

I hope this thing lasts (and isn't another cash grab) because rock sorely needs Van Halen. The bar has fallen too low in their absence.

Not that I enjoy quoting myself, but I never felt more strongly about this statement than yesterday when hearing "Rockstar" by Nickelback on the way home. What an awful, awful song.

Not that I enjoy quoting myself, but I never felt more strongly about this statement than yesterday when hearing "Rockstar" by Nickelback on the way home. What an awful, awful song.

My brother has a whole bunch of pirated music (he doesn't buy any) filled to the brim with 'Rock' like Nickleback, and Death Cab for Cutie. <_<

He hates my music. He often says it sounds slow, boring and old.

You know, if you blindfolded me and set three discs in front of me...one from Nickelback, one from Theory of a Deadman, and one from Hinder...and played a random, obscure song off each...I couldn't tell you the difference.

Death Cab is rock? Yikes, I wonder what he thinks heavy metal is...Linkin Park?

Posted Image