18 members have voted

1. 1. Do People Ask You for Directions?

• All the time - and it bothers me
    • All the time - and I'm cool with it
    • Sometimes
    • Rarely
    • Never - I am curmudgeon
    • Other - clarify

It doesn't bother me, but it makes me perplexed as to what I emit. Most of the time, I'm in my own world and someone interrupts my silence.

Just yesterday, I got asked about train routes on Portland's light rail, and I was wearing a Montreal t-shirt, for God's sake.

One day, when I did live up here in the mid-90s, I got asked directions on the way to work, during my lunch hour and going home from work. THREE times in a day.

The funniest:

- asked for directions in Buenos Aires in November 2005 when I went to South America

- asked for directions in Munich, Germany while walking through a rural suburb last month

How about you? Do people approach you out of the clear blue sky? For directions? For other odd reasons?

People ask me for directions all the time. Once, a local police officer asked me where a street was in town. I was like...wuh? I told him there's a kind of shortcut and I could show him if he wanted. So I did. And he followed me. It was odd to say the least. I really do know this area, so its not without cause.

In a related vein, everytime I go to the autoshow, random people ask me questions about the cars and I don't mean stuff like, "Isn't this one awesome?"; more like, "can you get this one with a V8?" or "Can you get the captain's chairs?" or "Isn't this one built on the same frame as the blah?" And I'm not there even talking about it with whoever I'm with; I'm just standing there!

I just pretend I don't speak English.

:rotflmao:

rarely - i do try to be helpful, but since my sense of direction sucks i might send them to the lisbon airport area instead of cascais :lol:

Edited by ZL-1

Sadly, in dowtown Toronto I just don't make eye contact any more. (Unless he is very, very cute.) The new mantra for this bankrupt city is keep your head down, eyes to the ground, wear an iPod. Chances are, the person approaching you doesn't want directions - they want money.

An Indian woman forcibly stopped me on the street the other day. I was shocked and then ashamed that she only wanted directions. I didn't used to be like that, but then I never used to be accosted every 50 meters for 'change' or 'bus fare' or whatever.

Having a big dog helps, too.

Edited by CARBIZ

Not directions necessarily, but..

I get approached by Asian tourists wanting me to take a picture... (this has happened here in Denver, in Hawaii, in Cali, in London, in Rome, in Venice, etc...)..

Some Germans once came up to me outside a Benihana here in Denver and asked me questions in German..I had no idea what they are asking..

A few years ago, as I was briskly walking through an airport, a woman asked me if I knew what time it was, I said 'Yes' and kept walking.. :)

I was sitting in a McDonald's once when an old couple came up to me asking directions to Port Huron.

That McDonald's was right next to the expressway that leads directly to Port Huron...in fact, that expressway freaking ENDS at Port Huron.

Edited by AxelTheRed

A few years ago, as I was briskly walking through an airport, a woman asked me if I knew what time it was, I said 'Yes' and kept walking.. :)

Wow. I can be the biggest loudmouth and create a scene when need be (horrendous service, etc.) but would never see myself doing that...though it is very deadpan funny.

Just yesterday, I got asked about train routes on Portland's light rail, and I was wearing a Montreal t-shirt, for God's sake.

What does wearing a Montreal shirt have anything to do with it? Most people don't wear shirts of places they're from. I'd think most people would see a Montreal shirt and assumed you just visited there. I mean, I have never owned a Long Island shirt.

Having a big dog helps, too.

Awww! He/She looks like an awesome dog to just cuddle up with.

Wow. I can be the biggest loudmouth and create a scene when need be.

Stop... I just can't believe it! You?! :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously though... it's rare people ask me for directions, but when I do I try to help. The worst though was this woman who looked SO lost holding a map and driving through Syosset stopped on Jericho Turnpike, in FRONT of Underhill Boulevard, and asked me, "Sir, excuse me... I'm so lost. Do you know where Underhill... uh... Boulevard is?"