Car features you would like to see

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it could be an interesting thread..i.e. features in a new car that no one offers currently today.

While driving around earlier today, I realized that I'd really like to have TiVo capabilities for car audio...that is, the ability to pause live radio, back up, record it, play it back, etc. I do listen to a fair amount of talk radio (NPR and Air America) and inevitably, I don't hear an entire broadcast because of timing (or running errands--hop out of the car for 15 min, come back and have missed 15 min of a broadcast). No car maker offers features like this currently that I'm aware of.

Edited by moltar

While driving around earlier today, I realized that I'd really like to have TiVo capabilities for car audio...that is, the ability to pause live radio, back up, record it, play it back, etc. I do listen to a fair amount of talk radio (NPR and Air America) and inevitably, I don't hear an entire broadcast because of timing (or running errands--hop out of the car for 15 min, come back and have missed 15 min of a broadcast). No car maker offers features like this currently that I'm aware of.

Cadillac CTS has Time-Shift that can pause and replay radio onto its 40-gig hard drive.

Cadillac CTS has Time-Shift that can pause and replay radio onto its 40-gig hard drive.

Interesting..I'll have to read up on that... I think the Ford Sync system that is coming may have such capability also..

I'll answer for 68.

Pillarless hardtop coupe

BOF-Pushrod-RWD-Manual

For me:

I want my car to have a wireless card in it so that I can pull the car into the garage and sync it with my iTunes, download NAV updates, update my contact list, my to do list, and calendar. I should also be able to enter a start and end point into my computer and have that routed by the NAV for me similar to google maps.

oh yea... and I want a Dynaflow

and a pony.

Horn ring..wow... I can't recall when I last saw one of those on a new car..I wonder when those went away..'70s?

I like the ala carte option approach..too many cars have packages that may have one or two things that I want in the package...

Well one option I want is cooled and ventilated seats, but it's already available on some cars. (I live in Arizona)

Dimming windows, like the sunglasses that dim when you go outside. So if the car is off, and it's hot outside, the windows would get very dark. If your driving through a parking garage or driving at night, they would lighten.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Well one option I want is cooled and ventilated seats, but it's already available on some cars. (I live in Arizona)

I'd like to see that option more often also..here in Colorado, cooled/vented seats would be equally useful as heated seats.. I use my heated seats in the winter, and would love to have cooled seats for summer, esp. since I don't have a parking garage at work anymore.

Dimming windows, like the sunglasses that dim when you go outside. So if the car is off, and it's hot outside, the windows would get very dark. If your driving through a parking garage or driving at night, they would lighten.

Hmmm..interesting..I wonder if that technology for glasses lenses (photogray/photochromic) could be used on large glass surfaces like car windshields..

Heads-up displays and cornering lamps. Cars do offer these, just far too few of them.

I would also like the Tweel

It's odd cornering lamps never became more widespread..I think they've been around since the '60s..I've driven a few cars with them, they really do work.

Edited by moltar

There are a few things I wish they would offer on mass produced vehicles;

1. Rear seat trays, like those used on airplanes

2. Being able to connect to your home computer (wireless) for updates & music swapping

3. A window in-between the front seat and back seat (like limos) so one doesn't have to listen to your kids or their CD / DVD

With that, I also wish a manufacture would build a car lineup that was back to the basics. A complete lineup that had all the modern crap taken out. A "pure" car. This would reduce weight, increase gas mileage, save money, and allow people to concentrate on driving vs. playing around with buttons and watching TV while driving. Yes it would have options like an AM/FM CD player, power windows, etc.

Edited by Dsuupr

I'll answer for 68.

Pillarless hardtop coupe

BOF-Pushrod-RWD-Manual

I already HAVE Dynaflow... and you did a good job on my list.

SOmeone once told me a picture is worth a thousand words...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

How about an actual NAV system in one of GM's midsize cars?

Class-leading instead of class-lagging interiors from the domestics? No none of them offer that!

How about real metal interior bits instead of plastic? I can buy a can of soup made with real metal for less than a dollar...why is it so hard to put some metal in interiors?