My Driveway + 1, Part 2

Cory Wolfe

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos sir.. What about the floor shifter? It should be a T bar shifter. The other details are accuarate. That also is a base model with options. I know because I recognize the Oldsmobile seat pattern too. I have that brochure here in my house.I would get the top refinished. Do not pull it up. Great photos today.

Yes, the original shift knob broke. It's in the glovebox.

Seriously. I'd love a nice clean G-body to drive instead of always driving my '77 Coupe DeVille

:P

Your family's best car purchase yet, BV!

That car was a steal for what you paid!

Well done. :thumbsup:

Well, it's going to take me a bit to get used to it. I'm used to being spoiled with leather, power everything, heated seats, 6 CD player, storage galore, courtesy lighting galore... cup holders. Haha. This Cutlass is so basic. The seats don't even recline or raise... I feel like I'm one of those ricers who drive with the seat half-reclined. :D

Hmmm... very cool. Damnit I want a G-body coupe.

My first car was supposed to be a 1986 tt-blue Cutty 2dr.

Ohh.... and please take more pics. of the Rusty Jones paperwork!

He's the official mascott of TIGHT WHIPS! (seriously)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...BV ... that looks even BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, sir. I'm VERY impressed ;). He he

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I wanna drive" ... Trace Adkins ... '(Her Favorite Color Is) Chrome'

I see a "FOR SALE" sign in the back of that car:

Buyer: Dude, what happened to your back bumper.

Seller: The unbridled horsepower of an Olds 307, that's what.

Good one!! I think Blackviper is going to enjoy his car. I did tell you it is a base model with options.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Guest YellowJacket894

Congradulations, BV, on finally aquiring a real car. :P

Seriously, though, I love the G-Body Cutlass Supreme. Really nice car. :thumbsup:

Please don't Donk it!

Yeah, really. There's an gunmetal blue Cutlass down the road from me on a buy-here-pay-here lot setting on 22" inch rims. It looks pathetic. Luickly, they actually aren't included with the $3500 asking price. I was thinking about adopting it after I decided the "Turbo Camaro" would be a really bad idea, but I found a really nice IROC down the road from Cheyenne's house so I'm going to try and buy it instead.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I think it's a decent car for the money for sure. If it's in good mechanical shape it's a steal IMO.

If it's been sitting for loooong periods of time I would check the gas filter/ fuel lines and tank. Might be contributing to the running problems. The filter is inexpensive and easy.

So what IS the 411 on this beast? Keeper? Flip? Dad's car?

I think it's a decent car for the money for sure. If it's in good mechanical shape it's a steal IMO.

If it's been sitting for loooong periods of time I would check the gas filter/ fuel lines and tank. Might be contributing to the running problems. The filter is inexpensive and easy.

I think those were mostly attributed from sitting and building up dirt and whatnot. It's running great now. It hasn't cut out on me in the last 150 miles. Took it to get it inspected yesterday and it passed without needing anything more than side marker bulb. I found that very surprising. It was definitely a steal for all the more it's needed thus far. I was expecting it to need a bunch of work when we first looked at it. I don't think we would have hesitated for 3 weeks had we known otherwise.

So far, my only issues with it are mostly personal ones. Like the fuel efficiency of its V8. Such a thirsty beast. :P

It's a keeper. It's mostly mine for the time being, but it's for all of us to drive.

Quite a step up from some "Mazda Taurus" :wink:

Next you'll drag home an LT1 powered B-body!

Quite a step up from some "Mazda Taurus" :wink:

Next you'll drag home an LT1 powered B-body!

It was more of a step down in my opinion. Slower and thirstier, clumsier and clunkier; completely lacking in comfort features. As soon as I can earn enough money to fix my Milly, I'll be driving it. The beast is fun, but driving it day after day is going to get tiring. It's more of a weekend car. I'd say the same thing for a Fiero, and you guys know my feelings on those. :P

It was more of a step down in my opinion. Slower and thirstier, clumsier and clunkier; completely lacking in comfort features. As soon as I can earn enough money to fix my Milly, I'll be driving it. The beast is fun, but driving it day after day is going to get tiring. It's more of a weekend car. I'd say the same thing for a Fiero, and you guys know my feelings on those. :P

True, but unlike the Milly, this thing will run forever...

There is this older guy down my parents street who has one like that, but white.

It has been driven almost everywhere in the US (or at least it seems)..I think the olds has like 290k on it now...and it still runs good. :thumbsup:

True, but unlike the Milly, this thing will run forever...

There is this older guy down my parents street who has one like that, but white.

It has been driven almost everywhere in the US (or at least it seems)..I think the olds has like 290k on it now...and it still runs good. :thumbsup:

Haha... My Milly is somehow unable to run just as long or longer than a Cutlass? :huh:

B.V.

You bring it on yourself dude, :P

After you were unable to fix a FWD car from GM you go out and buy an

even more complex and electronically jam-packed FWD Japanese car

and assume you can work on that, and that SOMEHOW it will be cheap

and easy to maintain.... :huh:

Besides, that Cutty already :owned: your Mazda, it's twice its age and

yet still on the road. If and when something breaks your local AutoZone

will help you out for short change.

B.V.

You bring it on yourself dude, :P

After you were unable to fix a FWD car from GM you go out and buy an

even more complex and electronically jam-packed FWD Japanese car

and assume you can work on that, and that SOMEHOW it will be cheap

and easy to maintain.... :huh:

Besides, that Cutty already :owned: your Mazda, it's twice its age and

yet still on the road. If and when something breaks your local AutoZone

will help you out for short change.

No, I most certainly do not. Dolts like yourself who post in a delusional, hypocritical, and egotistical state of mind are to blame. Simple. :D

I never had any premise of my Millenia being cheap to maintain. My Millenia doesn't deserve 99% of the comments it recieves around here. It's a better vehicle than some of the $h! C&Gers drive. It's been flawless save for the distributor that failed. As I've tried to explain so many times before, it failed due to it being an aftermarket one the seller installed. That's straight from the mechanics mouth. Not only that, it still runs despite that. I could go outside right now and it start it up if I really wanted to. It has nothing to do with the reliability of it. In the 10 year span Millenias were produced they were never recalled. Can most of you guys say the same about you're own vehicle? I highly doubt it. My Milly has no electronic gremlins, no real mechanical issues, and certainly no fit/finish problems. I cannot say the same for the MUCH LESS COMPLEX with 120k less miles Blazer we had, the MUCH LESS COMPLEX with 75k less miles Sunfire we have, or the also MUCH LESS COMPLEX with 55k less miles Grand Am I had. My sole problem right now is the cost of the damned distributor, which has nothing to do with it being Japanese, FWD, or full of electronics. Hell, the primitive, in comparison, distributor that this Cutlass has would cost me nearly $300, only $100 less than one for my Milly. Tell me, now, what the hell you are talking about. I brought this on myself? Look at yourself. You're so full of bull$h! that you can't see beyond you're own nose. You make comments based on your own imaginative world you live in. There isn't a problem with my Millenia. Never was. It's you. Either learn to understand that or stop posting about it.

Edited by blackviper8891

Viper, reread your post, don't you think you went a little over the top? That Cutlass is ideal for you. It is in excellent condition for its age (NO RUSTY QUARTER PANELS). If something breaks or wears out, parts are very plentiful and inexpensive, and it is simple to work on. Your dad can help you fix just about anything on that car... something that cannot be said about any of your newer cars. This Cutlass is a chance for you to be in more control of your automotive destiny, instead of adding to your collection of lawn ornaments... be they Pontiac or Mazda. If something happens with the Cutlass, you will be back on the road sooner, easier and cheaper, guaranteed. I think this Cutlass is a godsend for you. You have reliable transportation to get you where you need to go, and it's cool in its own way. Now if you could find work, you'd be set to start your adult life the way you see fit. This Cutlass is your ticket out (and back, if that's what you want), Cory. Don't be too stubborn to realize that. Edited by ocnblu

I totally agree with ocnblu, Sixty8, and also going with my own knowledge of both new and old cars that the Cutlass is far more dependable than your other options at the moment, and dirt cheap and idiotproof as far as maintenance is concerned. It's also a very cool car; I can think of a million old beaters out there worse than a nice clean G-body. If driving it bothers you that much I can always take it off your hands :lol: And as far as all the comments people may make about the Millennia, try and take them with a grain of salt. 95% of the reason they do it is because this is a place for GM fans, so they're obligated to crack a joke even though damn near all of us have owned vehicles of a different manufacturer ourselves. Don't take it personally; we all like you and that's why people mess around with you. If we all had something against you then we wouldn't talk to you at all.

Now hum the "Special Feel in an Oldsmobile" jingle to yourself and be merry!

Hey BV, you reap what you sow. Boohoo they are making fun of my car...well here's what you had to say about mine

"Yes... They're so ugly, they have to price a $20k car at $14k to sell it."

"If you have to rely on a deal to sell a car......."

"Anyways, no, the Sebring certainly does look as bad as the Camry, Sonata, or Optima. In fact, it looks much worse. I'm sorry, but Chrysler completely blew it on the styling of this vehicle. It looks pathetic no matter how you slice it. Add in its horribly cheap interior and you have quite a gem."

"As far as what I'd pick... Any number of slightly used midsizers will be a much better car without the retina damaging styling"

"People with poor taste in cars... such a pity"

I will have to say its ironic that a car named Millenia was afflicted with this...

TSB - 0101899 MAY 99 Year 2000 - Computer Systems Compliance

As far as the modern vs. vintage debate - owning such a pair myself - I can say without a doubt I would give up the LeSabre before I did my Aurora. We have a longer history together and she will always have a special place in my heart as the first car of my very own. Of the two, it would also be much harder to replace, not so much in terms of color and mileage, but in mechanicals. I know what was wrong, what was fixed, what issues are still present; buying another one, I simply do not. The LeSabre is harder to find in such great original exterior condition, but mechanically, what you see is what you get. Its far easier to tell what's wrong and what needs replacing. And if that doesn't really make sense to anyone, I don't care, because I'm not getting rid of anything anyway and never will.

But I also understand that for me, the LeSabre is the 'alternate', 'weekend', or 'utility' car rather than a daily driver. Even with working A/C and radio, the mileage is still horrendous to be puttering around daily. And though I'm no Sierra Club Driveway of the Year, I'd like to see double digits. My Aurora gets 18-23 in town. The LeSabre is probably getting 7-8. Even those overly-optimistic EPA76 ratings were 18 on the highway. For pure economics, modern FTW.

That G-body B.V. picked up gives up about 2000 lbs. in weight & about HALF of its cu. in.

Think about it. 231 vs. 455

So yeah, it's a little more condusive to daily driving. Our "new" F.B. averaged 16 mpg

for the previous owner... he has 7 years worth of records proving it. (still in glovebox)

I will have to say its ironic that a car named Millenia was afflicted with this...

As far as the modern vs. vintage debate - owning such a pair myself - I can say without a doubt I would give up the LeSabre before I did my Aurora. We have a longer history together and she will always have a special place in my heart as the first car of my very own. Of the two, it would also be much harder to replace, not so much in terms of color and mileage, but in mechanicals. I know what was wrong, what was fixed, what issues are still present; buying another one, I simply do not. The LeSabre is harder to find in such great original exterior condition, but mechanically, what you see is what you get. Its far easier to tell what's wrong and what needs replacing. And if that doesn't really make sense to anyone, I don't care, because I'm not getting rid of anything anyway and never will.

But I also understand that for me, the LeSabre is the 'alternate', 'weekend', or 'utility' car rather than a daily driver. Even with working A/C and radio, the mileage is still horrendous to be puttering around daily. And though I'm no Sierra Club Driveway of the Year, I'd like to see double digits. My Aurora gets 18-23 in town. The LeSabre is probably getting 7-8. Even those overly-optimistic EPA76 ratings were 18 on the highway. For pure economics, modern FTW.

I understand perfectly what you're talking about. :thumbsup:

Hey BV, I must say iy it looks funny with that undersized canopy on it :lol: As for the Mazda jokes, it's usualy all in good fun. Most of us have to deal with it anyway...look at all the Chrysler jokes I have to listen too. :P

By the way, have you tried selling some stuff around the house to raise money for the Millenia?

Like BV, and Fly, I would never give up the conveniences of a modern car for an older one....A/C, brakes, handling, interior comfort and other conveniences, good stereo, fuel economy and so on. I'd love to drive an older car, but not on a daily basis.

Edited by Dodgefan

Viper, reread your post, don't you think you went a little over the top? That Cutlass is ideal for you. It is in excellent condition for its age (NO RUSTY QUARTER PANELS). If something breaks or wears out, parts are very plentiful and inexpensive, and it is simple to work on. Your dad can help you fix just about anything on that car... something that cannot be said about any of your newer cars. This Cutlass is a chance for you to be in more control of your automotive destiny, instead of adding to your collection of lawn ornaments... be they Pontiac or Mazda. If something happens with the Cutlass, you will be back on the road sooner, easier and cheaper, guaranteed. I think this Cutlass is a godsend for you. You have reliable transportation to get you where you need to go, and it's cool in its own way. Now if you could find work, you'd be set to start your adult life the way you see fit. This Cutlass is your ticket out (and back, if that's what you want), Cory. Don't be too stubborn to realize that.

Yes, over the top.. In the way that I went off like that. I apologize to Sixty8 for that.

However, in the way you post about, no, I don't. This is what bothers me, the whole notion that Milly is such a poor car for me. You guys completely ignore the facts as I originally pointed out. It's all hypocrisy. To address certain points, I'll start off with this. My Milly would still be on the road had I gotten a job in the first place. It's not the cost of parts, or the reliability of it. Those are not the issues. It's my own stupidity. I've openly admitted that, but you guys still hang the blame onto my Milly. If you're going to take issue with anything at all, bitch me out. My car isn't the problem here and I'm sick of people saying it is. As far as the Cutlass, it's not very ideal. For one, it's not nearly in as good of condition as my Milly is. No rusty quarter panels? Did you misread where I stated it had a few rust spots? There's a sizable one beneath the left rear window, a small one near the corner behind left door, and two holes, not spots, on the right door. Two, let's talk about gas mileage. However much I would supposedly save with this Cutlass, I'd lose it to gas. The "18 MPG" printed on the window sticker is a pipe dream. I went through a quarter of a tank in less than 40 miles. With my Milly, a quarter of a tank would get me 100+ miles. I now have even greater respect for my Milly. I used to rant about its mileage and how it took premium, but this Cutlass is killer. It's not even more powerful. Maybe if I wanted to spin the tires, it has more low end torque, but its gutless AND it's horrible on gas. Thirdly, on prices, going strictly off what I need for my Milly, the prices are comparable. I'm sure that in general, parts are much cheaper, but if we're bringing my Milly into this, the only part we're comparing is a distributor. As I pointed out, it's not that much cheaper. I'll agree to much of the rest of what you've said, however.

I totally agree with ocnblu, Sixty8, and also going with my own knowledge of both new and old cars that the Cutlass is far more dependable than your other options at the moment, and dirt cheap and idiotproof as far as maintenance is concerned. It's also a very cool car; I can think of a million old beaters out there worse than a nice clean G-body. If driving it bothers you that much I can always take it off your hands :lol: And as far as all the comments people may make about the Millennia, try and take them with a grain of salt. 95% of the reason they do it is because this is a place for GM fans, so they're obligated to crack a joke even though damn near all of us have owned vehicles of a different manufacturer ourselves. Don't take it personally; we all like you and that's why people mess around with you. If we all had something against you then we wouldn't talk to you at all.

Now hum the "Special Feel in an Oldsmobile" jingle to yourself and be merry!

The jokes, I can understand. It's the false statements that I'm getting sick of. About how its not reliable, how its not a great car, how it doesn't run, how its inferior for some unfounded reason, etc.

Back to the Cutlass, I don't hate it. Quite the opposite. I'm simple pointing out that it doesn't compare to the Millenia in my eyes and that much of the comments here are not deserved. I like the Cutlass. I enjoy driving it despite how much it lacks in refinement and features. Again, though, if we're going to bring my Millenia into this, I can tell you which car I'd pick. Ocnblu can call it being stubborn all he wants, but I see very little that is a "godsend" about this Cutlass, other than the sheer fact that it allows me to get the job I should have gotten a year ago.

Hey BV, you reap what you sow. Boohoo they are making fun of my car...well here's what you had to say about mine

"Yes... They're so ugly, they have to price a $20k car at $14k to sell it."

"If you have to rely on a deal to sell a car......."

"Anyways, no, the Sebring certainly does look as bad as the Camry, Sonata, or Optima. In fact, it looks much worse. I'm sorry, but Chrysler completely blew it on the styling of this vehicle. It looks pathetic no matter how you slice it. Add in its horribly cheap interior and you have quite a gem."

"As far as what I'd pick... Any number of slightly used midsizers will be a much better car without the retina damaging styling"

"People with poor taste in cars... such a pity"

Oh cry me a river. You can't justify false and/or unfounded statements with a purely subjective opinion on styling and interior plastics. :lol:

That G-body B.V. picked up gives up about 2000 lbs. in weight & about HALF of its cu. in.

Think about it. 231 vs. 455

So yeah, it's a little more condusive to daily driving. Our "new" F.B. averaged 16 mpg

for the previous owner... he has 7 years worth of records proving it. (still in glovebox)

It's 307. And as I stated in my response to Ocn. It's not getting anywhere near what's stated on the window sticker.

Hey BV, I must say iy it looks funny with that undersized canopy on it :lol:

By the way, have you tried selling some stuff around the house to raise money for the Millenia?

Like BV, and Fly, I would never give up the conveniences of a modern car for an older one....A/C, brakes, handling, interior comfort and other conveniences, good stereo, fuel economy and so on. I'd love to drive an older car, but not on a daily basis.

Haha, yeah. It's my half-assed attempt at saving the clear coat on the roof. Sitting under the sun all summer is starting to bake it.

I've been planning to sell nearly half of my diecast car collection, but need an Ebay account, which I can't get without a credit card. So for now, they're sitting boxed in my den. With the talk of getting an extra car, I put it off. Now that we do have another car, I'm hoping on earning what I need to put into the Milly before winter comes. Considering it made it with nearly bald tires through last winter, I'd rather not worry about running the Cutlass in the winter since expensive snow tires are not in its future.

Atleast someone gets at what I'm saying. :P

Actually those "false" statements can be found in the "07 Sebring" thread in the rides showcase section.

*Ahem* Did you read any of what I said? Location is irrelevant. Those quotes are purely subjective and opinionated. There is no justifying the false and unfounded statements about my Millenia with those. Again, go cry me a river. You're car is ugly. It's only my opinion. I'm not stating falsities like those about my Millenia. Those are not opinions. The statements about it are not subjective. The styling of your Sebring? Yes, subjective. There is a glaring difference... it's apples and oranges. Durr. :P Edited by blackviper8891

What you need to do is bring up a members car that's even worse than both of those for people to make fun of. Feel free to use my G. Marquis:

Posted Image

:rotflmao: @ the hubcaps

BV, Do you have a bank account? If not you should consider finding a bank that does not require a minimum balance, get a debit card (no charge) and use that to start an ebay account with. That's what I did...I'd be in credit card debt up my nose if I had one...so I steer clear :P

What you need to do is bring up a members car that's even worse than both of those for people to make fun of. Feel free to use my G. Marquis:

Posted Image

In a little under a year of ownerships, it's needed two power window motors, radio, clock, front tire, alignment, control arm bushings, rust repair, new paint on the hood and trunk and still needs new shocks and a tuneup. If anything else on this car goes wrong I'm pushing it off a freeway overpass at rush hour. If you really want to see fanaticism, check out a Ford panther message board. A typical post sounds something like:

The point of all this rambling? Your situation could certainly be better, but it could be much worse as well. make the best of it and drive whatever makes you happy.

Haha. :lol:

It helps to have a job to start a bank account, since they usually want something in the account.

I'd imagine. I'm probably just going to wait until then to do so, which, hopefully will be within the next few weeks. With the gas mileage this Cutlass is getting, I can't procrastinate on getting a job any more. :P

Anyways, steering my thread back on track, here's an idea I had for a quick image improver.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Subtle, but effective. Thoughts?

What a great looking G-body! I love these Cutlasses.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Subtle, but effective. Thoughts?

Uh, what did you change? Did you photoshop something? :huh: