Sixty8panther

1st day at new job

52 posts in this topic

After my disillusionment with the dealership business it's

actualy nice to 'work' for a living. I did a couple hours of

orientation and then they threw me right out there.

For the first time in my life I'm a member of a union, and

I feel like I really could stay at this job for a long time. I

better stay with it, I'm tired of bouncing around...

The only bad experience of the day was I sliced open

my knuckle on my right hand. (I'm right handed) And as

luck would have it it was because of some jack-hole in'

Sweeden who decided to ship a 3-foot piece of exhaust

by just slapping a damn label on the catalitic converter.

No cardboard packaging, no taped up sharp corners,

NOTHING. So I grabbed it and felt a slight sting as a

super sharp piece of metal on the end of the catalitic

converter sliced right through my skin, by the time I

glansed at my hand I was already dripping blood. Since

it was busy-busy-busy I just wrapped my finger in

a loose label and packing tape. :P

F***ing SAAB, and more importantly, F***ing useless

emission devices, I hate catalitic converters, it seems

they hate me too.

Welcome to UPS! You will be in pain shortly. If you had any weight to loose you will now loose it. Infact if you didn't have any weight to loose you will now loose it. :)

GOOD LUCK and remember the UPS moto. "If you don't hurt then you aren't working fast enough."

Ah... Uncle Parcel.

I remember those days...... I was in the IT department, but it was my job to maintain the equipment at all the centers.

After my disillusionment with the dealership business it's

actualy nice to 'work' for a living. I did a couple hours of

orientation and then they threw me right out there.

For the first time in my life I'm a member of a union, and

I feel like I really could stay at this job for a long time. I

better stay with it, I'm tired of bouncing around...

The only bad experience of the day was I sliced open

my knuckle on my right hand. (I'm right handed) And as

luck would have it it was because of some jack-hole in'

Sweeden who decided to ship a 3-foot piece of exhaust

by just slapping a damn label on the catalitic converter.

No cardboard packaging, no taped up sharp corners,

NOTHING. So I grabbed it and felt a slight sting as a

super sharp piece of metal on the end of the catalitic

converter sliced right through my skin, by the time I

glansed at my hand I was already dripping blood. Since

it was busy-busy-busy I just wrapped my finger in

a loose label and packing tape. :P

they hate me too.

OK I'm taking bets! How long do you think 68 will last at this job? Maybe I should make it a polling question. :P

Just Kidding 68, I hope it last! Because I want to see you buy a new car before I retire in 22 years. :yes:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Enjoy the first class ass kicking you're about to receive day in and day out at United Package Smashers!

they hate me too.

HEY! My job is developing new technology for catalytic converters!! :D

But my car still doesn't have any! lol

Congrats on the new job Sixty8, hopefully it treats you better than the dealership. It's been two years since I've had a job with manual labor and sometimes I wish I could go back to it just for a bit. No real thinking was required where I used to work, just that you could keep up and limit your mistakes. I was sore when I went home but it was also good exercise, something I don't get as much of with an office job.

My uncle in Chicago works for FedEx...he's always talking smack about UPS. 8)

Edited by mustang84

I worked with UPS for a while... Never joined the Teamsters though (Eventhough everyone tried to bully me into it, and eventhough my grandfather was a Teamster)

To paraphrase my 'adventure' there: There are aspects of it I miss but at the same time I don't think I would ever go back. I was in excellent shape (Could pretty much lift 300lbs from the ground) and I LOVE physical labor. I just got real tired of picking up the slack from lazy union members.

I know a guy who works at IPS.

I hope this transition is a good one, Sixty8. Yeah, you'll be ripped pretty soon.

CONGRATS, Sixty8 :).

Heh ... I know quite a few people across the US that work for UPS.... I wouldn't mind driving one of those trucks around all day. But, they won't hire me ... because of my weight restrictions :(.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My feet still twitchin' to the music in my head" ... Mark Chestnut ... 'It Sure Is Monday'

I've never done brown, but I have several friends that used to work at FedEx..I interviewed with them a couple of times..they have some pretty cool package tracking software systems (their main IT shop is in Colorado Springs).

You are crazy. I don't even wanna think about my time at UPS, where I was doing the work of three people, at the same time. The horror... :nono:

Thanks guys.

Yes it's hard work... I'm not doing brainless lifting either, theres a lot of momorization.

It's nice to go home sore but feeling like I was productive. I'm hurting but I guess I

could stand to loose a few Ell-Bee-Ess-es. I'm 162 right now, just a tad of a beer gut.

We'll see where I am a few months from now. Everyone has been very pleasant.

FoG: I'd be crazy to even work there without the benefits which only kick in once your

Union dues are paid. The benefits are 90% of the reason why people are there.

How many trucks are you loading and how many packages per shift?

I average 1000 to 1200 packages per shift on 4 trucks. I am also secondary sort to a training area (meaning I do the smalls 90% of the time and erregs 75% of the time on our side of the belt).

Thanks guys.

Yes it's hard work... I'm not doing brainless lifting either, theres a lot of momorization.

It's nice to go home sore but feeling like I was productive. I'm hurting but I guess I

could stand to loose a few Ell-Bee-Ess-es. I'm 162 right now, just a tad of a beer gut.

We'll see where I am a few months from now. Everyone has been very pleasant.

FoG: I'd be crazy to even work there without the benefits which only kick in once your

Union dues are paid. The benefits are 90% of the reason why people are there.

That's interesting.. When I worked there the benefits were available despite union membership, but that's been long enough for a new contract to be signed.

The benefits were nice, and the pay was good but I just didn't get enough hours... I am a super efficient person because I cannot stand to have idle time. For example, at my job now we get a 15 minute break. I Never take the break because I don't really want to sit around for that long.

I used to work what we called "The Wall" which is where we would receive 45-53 foot trailers from manufacturers (Parts Unlimited, Square D, etc) and unload them into sort. We (3 of us) would usually average 12-15 trailers a night in right at 3 hours.

I loved the hard work because I love physical labor (I was raised in a rural environment, I've been splitting wood and throwing hay since I can remember) but what pissed me off was that I would go full throttle and do my job, then try to leav only to be pulled to another part of the plant to pick up some lazy bastards slack doing his job. Sure, there were some people who just needed help for one reason or another and I didn't mind that. It's the people who would leave early or not show up to work on time or would take 5 breaks in 2 hours that pissed me off. One of them was really bad for doing 2 of the afore mentioned and any time someone would talk to him about it, he would make a huge scene (shouting, hand gestures, etc) and then immediately run to his union rep. People like that are the very reason I hate unions, they feel as if they're entitled to a free ride. To me it's the same as not getting a job and living off of wellfare for most of one's life. (Again, I realize that not all wellfare recipients are that way)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

There's no free ride here FoG, union or not. This aint the UAW...

I'm bouncing around quite a bit but I loaded 4 trucks today.

There's no free ride here FoG, union or not. This aint the UAW...

I'm bouncing around quite a bit but I loaded 4 trucks today.

:bs:

Believe it or not 68, most UAW & CAW workers that I know, work pretty damn hard and actually care about their jobs. Oh I ain't no blue-collar worker either. I be a white-collar worker! See your stereotypical remarks really don't hold much water, but then, you've never worked in a UAW assembly plant, so how would you know? :scratchchin:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

I know that most of the UAW are less educated than I am and somehow think they deserve 400% more pay.

You can thank the UAW for all those Automotive jobs being shipped to China. <_<

Back in the day most unskilled workers who were putting together Cutlass & Regal four doors at the old

Framingham plant in the 1980s were making $50/hr. I'd be happy to make 1/3 of that... in 2007 money!

??

How many automotive jobs have been sent to China?

I know that most of the UAW are less educated than I am and somehow think they deserve 400% more pay.

Back in the day most unskilled workers who were putting together Cutlass & Regal four doors at the old

Framingham plant in the 1980s were making $50/hr. I'd be happy to make 1/3 of that... in 2007 money!

More stereotypical BS! Jobs are moving to China and India, because the prevailing wage is about a dollar - five dollars an hour depending on what you do. All sectors of the American workforce/economy are moving to those type of countries. Even the high tech jobs in the computer industry, so don't blame the UAW.

They're the same people that built your 50 year old cars you tool around in.

I hear that UPS will be outsourcing more work soon with the next contract. Are you ready? :P

More education you say? From what I see of your post, and what I know of UAW members, you can't prove that by me. :nono:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead