Future Cadillac powertains

intrigued

I am confident in upgraded interiors coming from GM for Cadillac and I lov all their exterior styling, that leavs Caddy with one big area to catch up with, again, and that is powertrains. Cadillac had more than caught up in 2004 I thought but because thy seem to be half a generation behind the imports have passed them this year. 255 hp from the 3.6 was fine a 2 years ago, now it is very average, same thing with the northstar making 320 hp. 5 speed autos are goo, especially GMs since they are world class but they need to get with the 6 speeds. Here is what I think GM nds for Caddy and we pretty much now they are getting some with the dirct injection updrades on the 3.6. Im applying them to the 2.8, 3.6 and the 4.6 northstar... 2.8 should make 255 hp and 240 ftlbs 3.6 should make 310 hp and 285 ftlbs 4.6 should make 380 hp and 370 ftlbs All should be paired with 6 speed autos with 6 speed sticks being availabl for the v6s. This with the new CTS body style and a new intrior for the STS would really make the Caddys the standard of the world, again...

If Mercedes is using 7 speed autos, then Cadillac should jump to 8.  There is no reason they should be 2nd to anyone.

[post="28724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I heard Lexus is developing an 8-speed. Dunno how reliable the source is though.

36-speed transmissions from Allison should be standard in the Cadillac line. </sarcasm> The only thing a 7-speed transmission does is highlight your engine's lack of power. Why is it that Chevy used to be able to race with 2-speed powerglides? I love my CTS, but it annoys me that it has to kick down out of 5th gear to get me up a slight incline at 55mph. My friend's '94 Roadmaster almost never kicks down going over the mountains at highway speed and that is a 4speed auto. I'm sure the 345 ft/lbs torque has something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am confident in upgraded interiors coming from GM for Cadillac and I lov all their exterior styling, that leavs Caddy with one big area to catch up with, again, and that is powertrains. 

Cadillac had more than caught up in 2004 I thought but because thy seem to be half a generation behind the imports have passed them this year. 

255 hp from the 3.6 was fine a 2 years ago, now it is very average, same thing with the northstar making 320 hp.  5 speed autos are goo, especially GMs since they are world class but they need to get with the 6 speeds.  Here is what I think GM nds for Caddy and we pretty much now they are getting some with the dirct injection updrades on the 3.6.  Im applying them to the 2.8, 3.6 and the 4.6 northstar...

2.8 should make 255 hp and 240 ftlbs

3.6 should make 310 hp and 285 ftlbs

4.6 should make 380 hp and 370 ftlbs

All should be paired with 6 speed autos with 6 speed sticks being availabl for the v6s.

This with the new CTS body style and a new intrior for the STS would really make the Caddys the standard of the world, again...

[post="28279"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

if the new AURA is getting a 3.6L w/ about 300 hp, it would make sense for the Cadillac version to get that/or better from the 3.6 too

if the new AURA is getting a 3.6L w/ about 300 hp, it would make sense for the Cadillac version to get that/or better from the 3.6 too

[post="32730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Whoah, if the new Aura is getting a 300hp version of the 3.6, that has to be with a turbo. I just thought the Aura was going to get around 250hp from the 3.6L

[post="32730"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Did I miss something. When was it ever said that the Aura would get 300HP out of the 3.6?! I dont' think so... :huh:

A few months back i recall reading about a future upgrade to the 3.6 HF V6 consisting of a new fuel injection system... supposedly boosting output to at least 300hp. Now I can't find the article, figures. Anyway, those output figures seem resonable, now if they could just get better mpg...

A few months back i recall reading about a future upgrade to the 3.6 HF V6 consisting of a new fuel injection system... supposedly boosting output to at least 300hp. Now I can't find the article, figures. Anyway, those output figures seem resonable, now if they could just get better mpg...

[post="33203"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeh it's somewhere on here or "that other gm info site" I can't find the article but it DEF said the 3.6 was getting direct injection and making 300hp for the AURA

The cars would be slower with 8 gears. It would spend more time in between gears, than actually in a gear.

[post="28739"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think maybe the comment about an 8-speed was sarcastic.......

BUT I think the reason the Benz 7-speed seems to work pretty well and doesn't "hunt" around is that I believe the transmission can skip a gear or two if it needs to on acceleration and deceleration...

I've NEVER been able to count 7 actual gear changes in our S500 as I accelerate from a stop to freeway speeds.....either by feel or watching the tach....neither can I when slowing to a stop....confirming what I think I read about the 7-speed skipping gears....?

That would make sense......the auto picks the right gear for the particular driver inputs and vehicle performance....