Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
giantshark18

Edmunds V6 Family Sedan Comparison

82 posts in this topic

It seems like a fair comparison overall though...the Malibu does lack features like BlueTooth, NAV system, Dual Zone Climate Control, and a rear armrest...my car had that as an option for Pete's sake. The steering and tranny complaints aren't limited to edmunds either. Still it beat the Camry and that in itself is an achievement. If GM could fix some of the shortcomings I bet it could come in first.

I really can't complain about this review... though I do think it's silly to get your panties in a twist over something like keyless ignition in a midsized family sedan without sporting ambitions.

its rivals this time around include the Nissan Altima, wholly redesigned in 2007, and all-new 2008 versions of the Chevrolet Malibu and Honda Accord.

I don't think "wholly" is the best term to use for the Altima MMC (err I mean FMC).

progress, the chevy is included with the previously untouchables.......

this alone is progress........

Exactly, and it beat the Camry, so there is definitely progress.

Altima does not deserve the second place.

As Siegen mentioned, it is not wholly designed. As a matter of fact it is hard to recognize it from a old one at a distace. Same cannot be said about the other three.

I disagree, I think the Altima as a whole is very sophisticated looking package. lines up front are instantly recognizable as 350Z new Nissan look, and are the best interpretation of the Nissan theme [which I am not a fan of at all, but on 350Z and Altima it does work better and best]. At the rear it continues that sophisticated and contemporary look. The car screams something that is unique and trying hard to be different, all the while saying something about Nissan, athletic.

What this comparison really proves is that the cars in this class are getting to a level of class and sophistication that means everyone can find something to love

No rear armrest/dual zone climate control is really a crime. I can understand no Bluetooth and MAYBE no real navigation system, but not having such simple things like a fold down armrest and dual zone HVAC is a bit ridiculous.

Additionally, there's no PRNDL display in the instrument cluster.

Also a stupid move on GM's part.

Edited by bcs296

If the Malibu had as many features as the other cars, it likely would have come in 1st or second (look at the scoring explanation). I wonder what the results would be if they were doing $22k 4cyl versions (the bulk of sales)? I would be surprised if the Malibu did not do better in a test like that... none of the cars will have many more features than the others if all are $22-23k. The Malibu wouldn't score so poorly in the features category, in that case.

Ah well it should have gotten first or second. I am more happy seeing the Camry get last I guess a far cry from what Motor Trend said those idots. (And I get that rag!)

If the Malibu had as many features as the other cars, it likely would have come in 1st or second (look at the scoring explanation). I wonder what the results would be if they were doing $22k 4cyl versions (the bulk of sales)? I would be surprised if the Malibu did not do better in a test like that... none of the cars will have many more features than the others if all are $22-23k. The Malibu wouldn't score so poorly in the features category, in that case.

With more features, the price would have gone up, too. Features are worth 20%, price is worth 25%, so the scoring is arguably already in Malibu's favor.

This is one of the best Malibu reviews/comparison I've read so far; there's tons of detail, enough to let the reader come up with his or her own conclusion. My experiences with all four of these cars relate with their's.

Edited by empowah

I thought it was dead on, and they clearly acknowledged they all preferred the best combination of sport with their roomy sedan.

The Malibu got exactly the credit it deserves, including the few demerits it also deserves--it looks great, is assembled great, but the lack of features still bugs many (regardless of whether they'd cost more...they should be there), and despite that great assembly and general materials quality...there still are things, such as some center stack bits, and color combos that are different but not everyone loves, that kick it down a notch. Refine a few more interior bits, polish another thing here and there...and then it'll go higher in the rankings. Still a terrific car, and they said that. Just like the last gen Altima, as they also said--when it came, it ALSO was "almost" there, but missed on some details, and the same is true for the Malibu?

My favorite part? Yet ANOTHER article slamming the Camry, commenting on crooked panels, rattles & squeaks, and sloppy as could be driving dynamics and feel. The best quote of it all? Here, in Second Opinions:

On the other hand, the Camry is just a mess. The engine is a marvel of power-to-fuel-economy ratio, but it's attached to a car completely unprepared for that much gusto. While the Altima's steering is light and communicative, the Camry's is light and clueless. The suspension clop-clops over bumpy roads, and the chassis feels just a hair more solid than linguini al dente. Plus, the interior isn't particularly impressive. Like Dancing with the Stars, I don't get why America loves the thing so much.

YES, YES, YES! See, more and more are still "getting it"...C&D did a while ago, Edmunds is more and more, etc. "Mess" is a perfect descriptor. Many still buy and love them...but that doesn't mean they're actually great. Or, as here, a fantastic V6...in a mushy, questionably assembled, squeak & rattle bag.

At this time, no matter how great the Malibu is, no magazine will want to rate it first.

Bingo!

Further proof that the positive press is fleeting.

Bingo!

Further proof that the positive press is fleeting.

Except it wasn't a negative comparison...the Camry was really the only one that got knocked. The Malibu made 3rd for valid reasons, you can't deny that. Remember these 4 are laso teh best of the best...so being 3rd out of every midsize car is nothing to be ashamed of.

I disagree, I think the Altima as a whole is very sophisticated looking package. lines up front are instantly recognizable as 350Z new Nissan look, and are the best interpretation of the Nissan theme [which I am not a fan of at all, but on 350Z and Altima it does work better and best]. At the rear it continues that sophisticated and contemporary look. The car screams something that is unique and trying hard to be different, all the while saying something about Nissan, athletic.

What this comparison really proves is that the cars in this class are getting to a level of class and sophistication that means everyone can find something to love

and yet, the level of nitpicking in the press for this class is amazing, and even among internet posters.

go to some other sites where a bunch of punks who have likely never even held a car loan, used or new, or maybe who have been driving a car for like a year or two, absolutely crucify little things about these cars, yet in their own garage is probably a moped or some complete beater.

the amount of scrutiny in this class is bordering on unreasonable.

these cheap v6 sedans are so good, yet the level of minutia they get to in these tests borders on psychotic.

basically we come back around to this. America, go drive the effing cars yourselves and make your own selection.

Edited by regfootball

and yet, the level of nitpicking in the press for this class is amazing, and even among internet posters.

go to some other sites where a bunch of punks who have likely never even held a car loan, used or new, or maybe who have been driving a car for like a year or two, absolutely crucify little things about these cars, yet in their own garage is probably a moped or some complete beater.

the amount of scrutiny in this class is bordering on unreasonable.

these cheap v6 sedans are so good, yet the level of minutia they get to in these tests borders on psychotic.

basically we come back around to this. America, go drive the effing cars yourselves and make your own selection.

:lol:

Thus, driving up the prices in general and forcing manufacturers to load up their vehicles with useless crap that only the magazines and 18 year olds with mopeds in their garage would want. I think GM has built a car for the masses, not for Edmunds.

Except it wasn't a negative comparison...the Camry was really the only one that got knocked. The Malibu made 3rd for valid reasons, you can't deny that. Remember these 4 are laso teh best of the best...so being 3rd out of every midsize car is nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm certainly not denying the merits of the Malibu and the write up was decent (eventhough it did include the typical girlish bitching about irrelevant things that plagues ALL Edmunds pieces)

But, the fact that the Altima beat the Malibu is a joke IMO... It hasn't even been close and is in no way a superior car.

If the Malibu can't beat the one year old Altima, then what do you all think will happen when the new Mazda 6 (A car in the same realm, except MUCH better) comes out?

I know that the Mazda 6 is technically Pontiac territory but the comparison will be made with Malibu given the fact that the current G6 is quickly becoming an also ran in even the lower end of the pack.

I'll be interested in comparisons from C&D and Automobile since they both gave the Malibu an award in favor of or in favor with the Accord. But I'll bet cha' despite the award, somehow, 'magically' the Malibu won't measure up to the new fat assed L300... err, Accord.

Just my :twocents:

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

:lol:

Thus, driving up the prices in general and forcing manufacturers to load up their vehicles with useless crap that only the magazines and 18 year olds with mopeds in their garage would want. I think GM has built a car for the masses, not for Edmunds.

Yes, because a rear armrest, dual zone climate control, BlueTooth, and a Hard Drive to store music (so you don't get distracted trying change CDs while driving) are useless things that nobody would want. :rolleyes:

I'm certainly not denying the merits of the Malibu and the write up was decent (eventhough it did include the typical girlish bitching about irrelevant things that plagues ALL Edmunds pieces)

But, the fact that the Altima beat the Malibu is a joke IMO... It hasn't even been close and is in no way a superior car.

If the Malibu can't beat the one year old Altima, then what do you all think will happen when the new Mazda 6 (A car in the same realm, except MUCH better) comes out?

I know that the Mazda 6 is technically Pontiac territory but the comparison will be made with Malibu given the fact that the current G6 is quickly becoming an also ran in even the lower end of the pack.

I'll be interested in comparisons from C&D and Automobile since they both gave the Malibu an award in favor of or in favor with the Accord. But I'll bet cha' despite the award, somehow, 'magically' the Malibu won't measure up to the new fat assed L300... err, Accord.

Just my :twocents:

The G6 was an also ran the day it was released IMO. The 6 is a midsizer so it competes with any midsize car technically, but I get what you are saying about it being a more direct competitor to Pontiac...assuming Pontiac had something to compete with.

If the Malibu had a less fussy transmission, and more features It would have beat the Altima, and perhaps even the Accord. All GM needs to do is add those features and improve the transmission programing.

Edited by Dodgefan

This is exactly how I would predict the rankings to go. Unlike the eggheads at Motor trend who are gaga over the Blandry, Edmunds at least gave a fair account of things.

I'm sorry, but it seems silly that some people are considering dual zone climate control (which got used pretty much never in my old Regal) and bluetooth requirements for a CHEVY. Sure, they would be nice as options, but c'mon, the way some of you rant about them not being there it's like they forgot to include air conditioning or windows. They're more gadgets than useful features - if you can't get along with your passenger(s) enough to pick a temperature, or manage to wait until you can safely answer your phone, you've got more serious issues than "what midsize car should I buy?"

I'm sorry, but it seems silly that some people are considering dual zone climate control (which got used pretty much never in my old Regal) and bluetooth requirements for a CHEVY. Sure, they would be nice as options, but c'mon, the way some of you rant about them not being there it's like they forgot to include air conditioning or windows. They're more gadgets than useful features - if you can't get along with your passenger(s) enough to pick a temperature, or manage to wait until you can safely answer your phone, you've got more serious issues than "what midsize car should I buy?"

It's that kind of thinking that has held Chevy back.

It's that kind of thinking that has held Chevy back.

Chevy should think like VW and completely ignore Buick and Cadillac.

vw-phaeton-v12-thumb.jpg

Seriously, if you want this kind of stuff, aim for a Buick*, Cadillac or Saab.

Lets get some perspective here:

The Malibu in this test stickered at $27,245. According to CarsDirect, I can pick up a Saab 9-3 with leather and nav for $27,962. Bluetooth, sadly for some, is still not available.

The Camry in the test stickered at $31,619. The CTS bases at $32,990. $22.50 a month is worth it to not have to deal with a Toyota dealer and you still get a clearly superior car.

The Altima is an astonishing $32,545! Anyone willing to pay that price for a "sporty" sedan from Nissan needs to have their head examined. At that amount of money you're into CTS, 3-series, very well equipped 9-3, A4, and G35 territory if you want "sport" and ES, loaded LaCross Super, Lucerne V8, 300C AWD, and Lincoln MKZ AWD if you want luxury. At least one from each of those catagories is superior to the Altima.

So keep in mind what the Malibu would really be competing with if it were to start pushing 32k at it's top end.

It's your $32,545, demand better.

*where Buick should be... not where it is.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0