Crazy winter so far

mustang84

I don't know about anyone else, but we have had quite a winter so far. Usually you don't see much in the way of snow or ice around here before Christmas, but so far it has snowed much of the week and we had two days of freezing rain / sleet that left about 2 inches of ice on the ground. It iced again last night and now it has changed over to snow; I had to go out last night and scraping it off my windows was a task since it was just a thick glazing over everything. We used to have really bad winters like this in the first few years of the 90s, then it was mild for the rest of the decade until about 2003 when we've been having monster snowstorms and earlier snow. A couple winters ago my hometown had four feet of snow on the ground, something it hadn't seen since the blizzard of 1979. I kinda like it though because I grew up with a lot of brown Christmases so it's nice to finally get the snow back!

Lots of rain, sleet and ice here in Chicagoland this past few weeks. My wife took the Trailblazer (instead of the CTS) to work this morning because the CTS can't make it up the hill to our house in slush or ice. Since we live on a small street (21 houses) it's one of the last to be salted.

Speaking of salt, thanks to GM for galvanized sheet metal (and plastic). I wouldn't want to be seen driving a rustmobile like most of the 5 year old Honda's I see, with rust eating the wheel wells.

Winter is usually crazy. We have snow here, but thats normal. My heart goes out to those who are without power or those who have lost people in the storms. I saw in the news there were alot of car accidents in Oklahoma that took people's lives. Slow down when the roads are slick people.

I have been hearing about your winter down there Mustang, and it has been a crazy one. A friend of mine from here in ND goes to school at Drake so he has been bitching about the ice to me for a couple weeks now.

Luckily it has been all snow up here, which is out of the ordinary for us as well. There hasn't been a brown Christmas up here that I can ever remember but usually there is only a dusting on the ground. As of now we have about a foot on the ground throughout the Valley. I don't think we have had that much snow on the ground at one time in at least the last 5 years. The last big snow year that I can remember is 97. That year we got something like 160 inches. Insanity. 2000 was a decent snow year as well.

I'm enjoying it for the most part so far up here, but i definately know what it is like to have a November/December full or freezing rain for the most part. It almost gets depressing after a while. Best of luck to you getting around.

Winter is usually crazy. We have snow here, but thats normal. My heart goes out to those who are without power or those who have lost people in the storms. I saw in the news there were alot of car accidents in Oklahoma that took people's lives. Slow down when the roads are slick people.

I spent a few weeks in St. Louis around Christmas time a few years ago. It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are, you should not be on the roads around there when it snows. People have NO IDEA what they are doing on slick roads. About an inch fell and there were people running off the road and in to eachother everywhere. I can only imagine that Oklahoma would be worse.

Heh...I knew we were in for weird winter weather when I was greeting with freezing rain/snow upon my return from my road trip on December 1....

Aye.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Here today, forgot tomorrow" ... Duran Duran ... 'Ordinary World'

Winter Weather Advisory up for our area today, with freezing rain, snow and sleet in the forecast. Um, yay (?), our lot is packed now with wrecks, and we have like 12 more in our employee parking lot.

Gunning for the #0 spot? :P

Our weather has been really odd. We have been going through widely fluctuating temps, crazy wind,snow, sleet, and rain for most of the month. The only constants have been grey skies and wet. It got really cold for this time of year for a few days, and then ran back up to above normal. Right now, it is raining and I can see it freezing on my power lines.

Yuck.

It's been pretty normal in my home town.

But here in Charlotte it's been pretty strange. This week we've consistently had highs in the 70's & 80's but by this weekend we're supposed to be back down in the 30's.

No rain or snow in sight... We're still in a stage 4/5 drought and we only have a little upwards of 100 days of water left according to one news source. Looks like we can stink up the place soon with Atlanta when they start rationing water so much that we can't take showers.

Well it only rained here pretty much all day. I did see some ice on a few vehicles that came in for estimates (people: if you have a small dent, how am I supposed to see the damage when your vehicle is covered in ice? Doy!) :AH-HA_wink:

Tomorrow they're calling for a glorious high of 42 with sunshine... then a chance of snow on Saturday, and 31 degrees.

Guest YellowJacket894

It was in the seventies Wednesday and pouring rain. Now there's a winter storm brewing and headed my way for Saturday.

Makes me wonder if there isn't some little room somewhere out in the Nevada desert with a thermostat for all the Earth's climate being controlled by a little kid on an endless caffeine rush.