Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurdueGuy

Revival of the wagon

43 posts in this topic

With the CAFE crap being forced on the manufacturers, do you think we will see a return of the wagon, or do you think it will simply embody itself in crossovers? By the way, I mean real wagons - 3 row seating.

nope. no way.

it will be a niche product at best..... which is unfortunate.

Too bad though, Europeans have embraced wagons, it's not

at all a stigmata there to have a station wagon. If anything

they're way cooler than many new crossover-jellybeans like

the Honda Pilot & Highlander...

That Kia that looks like a London Taxi knockoff? The Rhondo

or whatever, that's uglier than any cheesy faux-wood side

station wagon from the 1970s.

Wagons are fine, but would the 3rd row still be rear facing? That was fun as a kid, but I don't think anybody would want to ride like that anymore...

I could drive a wagon, especially a performance wagon with AWD.

P-C-S, when is the EP II Insignia wagon coming out? Any chances of making to US?

i wish i still had mine, but with a better powertrain moving it would be awesome. just keep them lightish by todays standard.

I could drive a wagon, especially a performance wagon with AWD.

Lutz is on my sh1tlist because the Zeta and G8 wagon will not have AWD. Not NOW or anytime.

A new Saab 9-5 sportcombi with cross wheel drive and 300hp turbo might redeem him, but come on, where is my AWD G8 sportwagon with 3.6DI and stick or small block and stick?

audi was onto something with the allroad quattro. air suspension to raise the car when needed.

instead, they put out the oinker Q7 and its 3 ton weight. and i guess its selling well. Go figure.

Edited by regfootball

P-C-S, when is the EP II Insignia wagon coming out? Any chances of making to US?

The dates are in flux at this time, Europe will get it 1st. The sedan should be out in July 08 in Europe, Saturn somewhat after that.

As for will the wagon make it to the US, the Magic 8 ball says yes!

Here are some pics.

ep2sedannj7.jpg

ep2wagonem2.jpg

audi was onto something with the allroad quattro. air suspension to raise the car when needed.

The XC70 is nice too.

I WISH. Right now the Passat and new Jetta wagon, and the Subie Outback, are about the only "typical buyer" priced ones, followed by Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW.

In America, it's like hatchbacks, that people just will forever see darkly because of some dorky versions in the 60's-90's. Lots of wagon fans...but that's still not a lot. Then again, all the people with SUV's are technically driving wagons.

My father and I have tried to tell my mother that REPEATEDLY, that her Suburban is very much so a wagon on steroids to which we always get "NO, IT ISN'T!" It is, but she buys into that stigma.

He and I would love one, though, of whatever model. After my 37mpg '07 Malibu rental, I said "we need a Malibu wagon" and got the most enthusiastic, "Why, do they make them?!" Nope, just the shortened, and now dead Maxx.

But they're perfect...driving dynamics and efficiency (well, unless we're talking a V8 Holden wagon, AMG Mercedes wagon, etc.) of a sedan, but the full open "hall" space of a lower SUV. I need that combo badly. Actually, know one of the cars I've wanted to have for many years now? This:

96_honda_accord_exwagon.jpg

Flashy? No. Scintillating? No. But a fantastic daily driving appliance? Oh, so absolutely...take one of the most respected mid-size cars for quality and efficiency, double or triple the rear cargo area...and sha-zam...awesome little car, that's oh so practical.

But that's just me... :rolleyes:

Yes, I think that we will see more wagons now.

I doubt that we will ever see them dominate again as they once did, though.

I love wagons and welcome them back.

After the Cadillac CTS my second favorite car is the Saab 9 3 SportCombi.

I too like wagons a lot--basically the same car as the sedan version with the same attributes except much more utilitarian.

I would so welcome the return of the American station wagon. I love them and if the G8 is available in a wagon when my AURA lease is up (Nov '09), I might just have to seriously look into getting one (especially if high gas prices are keeping me from getting a Sierra).

I don't mind wagons one bit.

There are a lot of people who would disagree with my opinion, but I wish the Magnum was entering a second-generation with the LY platform. I loved that car from the moment it debuted to the moment Chrysler Corp. said they were pulling the plug.

And, hell, I'll say it: the pic of the Aura/Vectra wagon PC-S posted is actually quite handsome (as is most Opel products; I know, one sits out in the driveway).

The XC70 is nice too.

i like it, except the interior is snooze inducing. not badly done, just way to dull styling wise.

CMON PEOPLE..... GIVE IT UP FOR THE OLDS CUSTOM CRUISER....WITH VISTA ROOF!!!!!!!!!!!!

1991-92-Oldsmobile-Custom-Cruiser-921282

next M6 wagon is nice.

9070917.006.Mini21L.jpg

9070917.006.3L.jpg

Edited by regfootball

I'll never buy one. I'm sure I'm not in the minority. Here at C&G possibly, but not when compared with the car buying public.

saweet! (the caprice wagon)

Edited by regfootball

Something like this based on the VE Commodore would be good with me.

LowAdventra.jpg

After the Cadillac CTS my second favorite car is the Saab 9 3 SportCombi.

I would agree... I just picked up my 9-3 SportCombi last week. The pictures of the next gen look very nice.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0