Revival of the wagon

Too bad though, Europeans have embraced wagons, it's not

at all a stigmata there to have a station wagon. If anything

they're way cooler than many new crossover-jellybeans like

the Honda Pilot & Highlander...

That Kia that looks like a London Taxi knockoff? The Rhondo

or whatever, that's uglier than any cheesy faux-wood side

station wagon from the 1970s.

I could drive a wagon, especially a performance wagon with AWD.

Lutz is on my sh1tlist because the Zeta and G8 wagon will not have AWD. Not NOW or anytime.

A new Saab 9-5 sportcombi with cross wheel drive and 300hp turbo might redeem him, but come on, where is my AWD G8 sportwagon with 3.6DI and stick or small block and stick?

audi was onto something with the allroad quattro. air suspension to raise the car when needed.

instead, they put out the oinker Q7 and its 3 ton weight. and i guess its selling well. Go figure.

Edited by regfootball

I WISH. Right now the Passat and new Jetta wagon, and the Subie Outback, are about the only "typical buyer" priced ones, followed by Volvo, Mercedes, and BMW.

In America, it's like hatchbacks, that people just will forever see darkly because of some dorky versions in the 60's-90's. Lots of wagon fans...but that's still not a lot. Then again, all the people with SUV's are technically driving wagons.

My father and I have tried to tell my mother that REPEATEDLY, that her Suburban is very much so a wagon on steroids to which we always get "NO, IT ISN'T!" It is, but she buys into that stigma.

He and I would love one, though, of whatever model. After my 37mpg '07 Malibu rental, I said "we need a Malibu wagon" and got the most enthusiastic, "Why, do they make them?!" Nope, just the shortened, and now dead Maxx.

But they're perfect...driving dynamics and efficiency (well, unless we're talking a V8 Holden wagon, AMG Mercedes wagon, etc.) of a sedan, but the full open "hall" space of a lower SUV. I need that combo badly. Actually, know one of the cars I've wanted to have for many years now? This:

96_honda_accord_exwagon.jpg

Flashy? No. Scintillating? No. But a fantastic daily driving appliance? Oh, so absolutely...take one of the most respected mid-size cars for quality and efficiency, double or triple the rear cargo area...and sha-zam...awesome little car, that's oh so practical.

But that's just me... :rolleyes:

I would so welcome the return of the American station wagon. I love them and if the G8 is available in a wagon when my AURA lease is up (Nov '09), I might just have to seriously look into getting one (especially if high gas prices are keeping me from getting a Sierra).

Guest YellowJacket894

I don't mind wagons one bit.

There are a lot of people who would disagree with my opinion, but I wish the Magnum was entering a second-generation with the LY platform. I loved that car from the moment it debuted to the moment Chrysler Corp. said they were pulling the plug.

And, hell, I'll say it: the pic of the Aura/Vectra wagon PC-S posted is actually quite handsome (as is most Opel products; I know, one sits out in the driveway).

Wagons in the US:V50, Impreza, Vibe/Matrix, Mazda3, Caliber, 9-3 SportCombi, V70, 3-er touring, 5-er, E-Class, 9-5, Outback, Jetta, Passat, Forenza, Magnum, A6. Some sell very well, some not so well. Forester, currently a wagon, becomes a proper SUV next year.

Vehicles sold in the US which have a wagon version in other markets: X-Type, Mazda6 (US version will be larger and no wagon), Corolla Fielder (not the same as the US Corolla though), Astra (very nice), Wingroad (Versa wagon), 300C touring, Stagea (previous-gen G35 wagon), Accord Tourer (TSX wagon).

Current 3-row 7-seat wagons as Purdueguy wants can be counted on one hand—even on the Simpsons. All are compact MPV alternatives:

Peugeot 308SW

Honda Stream (actually was an MPV in a previous incarnation)

Dacia Logan MW.

More truck-like in style, but with car platforms, are the European-style compact LCVs, primarily commercial vehicles like the opposite of an HHR Panel (an LCV with a passenger version, not a crossover with an LCV version). Some larger versions have 3-row seating, and the new Peugeot Partner and Citroen Berlingo (same platform as the 308) although only 2-row, have 3-across front seating (and roof options reminiscent of the Vistacruiser).

1 of 2 built IIRC.

I thought it was six. I could be wrong, though. Doesn't matter; a Vista Cruiser with that double scoop Cutlass hood looks AWESOME whether it's one of the handful of W30's outfitted by Hurst for the race or your grandmother's 350-powered faux woodpanel-clad version with vinyl seats and AM radio.

I've tried to keep the fact that I have a soft spot for Wagons secret... but alas.

When I buy a winter beater to keep the Impala nice in the next few years... well.... This is on the top of my list.

96_ESTATE_WAGON-020_jpg.jpg

This one looks like the one at the farm, but it does not have the woodgrain. Its been a beast and is still in great shape. Going strong at 150,000 miles. And they are hard miles too.

I hear you about a Zeta wagon WMJ....

The only LT-1 powered B-body I've owned thus far was a Roadmaster Estate,

and the only station wagon I've owned was an LT-1 powered B-body.... :P

So obviously I've got GREAT experiences with wagons. :)