Cadillac CTS Coupe to start production in 2009

Lamar

If you liked the Cadillac CTS Coupe Concept and feel that your garage is incomplete without one in it, well, you're gonna be able to scratch that itch next year. Inside Line reports that the concept will go into production in mid-2009 as a 2010 model. Expect the same general shape as the show car, albeit with some detail tweaks to make it production-friendly. The most obvious ones will be the addition of an integrated rear spoiler with a CHMSL and the conversion from the stylized center-outlet exhaust to something more traditional, like the CTS sedan's dual tips. We're betting it'll be deja vu all over again next January in Cobo as the usual suspects reconvene to drive the production CTS coupe (CTC, maybe?) onto the very same stage that welcomed the concept. And General, don't forget to drop in the LSA and do a 2-door V-Series while you're at it.

Link is here

Oh, and sorry if this has shown up elsewhere.

Edited by Lamar

While its better than the 3-4 year wait for the Camaro, I still hate it when GM rolls out a 90% production car, calls it a concept and makes up wait another year before showing off the actual production version, then another six months or more until they get to dealerships. Same thing happened with the Aura. It makes sense for something like the Solstice, that doesn't have a platform yet, but the Aura and CTS-C should have never been concepts, just show the real thing and get it out.

Don't you mean a donkey pulling an olive cart? :smilewide:

:scratchchin: I think you're right - I need to rephrase it, then: 'I wasn't hoping for it, I was being a donkey pulling an olive cart'

:smilewide: :smilewide: :smilewide:

EDIT - btw, on cadillac.com they call it both 'cts coupe' and 'ct coupe'. someone seems undecided re what name to give this thing...

Edited by ZL-1

:scratchchin: I think you're right - I need to rephrase it, then: 'I wasn't hoping for it, I was being a donkey pulling an olive cart'

:smilewide: :smilewide: :smilewide:

EDIT - btw, on cadillac.com they call it both 'cts coupe' and 'ct coupe'. someone seems undecided re what name to give this thing...

i dont know why they would call it a catera touring sedan coupe when they could just cut the sedan part out

When, exactly, was the last time Cadillac officially defined 'CTS' as still meaning 'Catera Touring Sedan' ??

I don't recall for certain if that was ever official, but if it was, we're talking 2002-ish, aren't we? And clearly that was only meant as a transitional 'link' for 2 cars that shared nothing but a spot in the catalog hierarchy. It seems quite clear to me at least that 'CTS' stands alone at this point as a simple 3-letter 'name' as opposed to an abbreviation for anything else, esp with the name recognition 'CTS" has earned itself. I would assume that Cadillac would call the 2-dr a CTS also, rather than muddying buyers minds with yet another 'alpha' name, and instead play off the model recognition of 'CTS'.

Many will likely point to how bmw & m-b do not recode their 2-drs from their 4-drs as the 'only right way' to do it (even tho that Pavlovian mindset makes me :rolleyes: ).

CTS never meant Catera Touring Sedan (Unlike STS and ETC) GM defined it as meaning "C-Series Touring Sedan"

In that vein, I can still the point of Newbiewar's post.

I always assumed the 'C' was for Cadillac....CTS--Cadillac Touring Sedan. So the coupe should be CTC....Cadillac Touring Coupe.

Internally, CTS was originally chosen for "Catera Touring Sedan" but never publicly announced as such. STS clearly has the historical connotation of "Seville Touring Sedan" and DTS as "Deville Touring Sedan."

At this point, the model designations really are just 3-letter designations, but during the transition years many within GM viewed them as abbreviations.

Internally, CTS was originally chosen for "Catera Touring Sedan" but never publicly announced as such. STS clearly has the historical connotation of "Seville Touring Sedan" and DTS as "Deville Touring Sedan."

At this point, the model designations really are just 3-letter designations, but during the transition years many within GM viewed them as abbreviations.

right, I think at the time there were articles written about the CTS that picked up on this internal designation, and so goes that readers came to think of it this way.

I totally agree with others that this is way too long to wait for a coupe version of the CTS. it better have some kind of much differentiatied, sportier, suspension setup and maybe weigh less to make up for this wait.

Edited by turbo200