Oracle of Delphi

Isn't it time all countries drove on the right side of the road?

38 posts in this topic

Think how much easier it would be for automakers to make cars if every country drove on the right side of the road.

Countries in red drive on the right side of the road, those in blue drive on the left side of the road. Most countries drive on the right side of the road. The majority of the countries that drive on the left side of the road are relics from the old British Empire.

countriesdrivingontheleii9.jpg

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

That's wierd..some place in South America drives on the left?

Getting this changed would be like pissing into the wind.

Sure, then lets make global crash test standards as well!

Old British Guiana, now just Guyana, you know where Jim Jones killed all those people.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Getting this changed would be like pissing into the wind.

Isn't that the same thing you said when I started my campaign against Zeta? :scratchchin:

The installed user base and infrastructure changes required are too large, as you well know. Some countries switched from one to the other in the early days of the automobile, but it's too late now for most.

Suriname and Guyana :AH-HA_wink:

Can you imagine all the car wrecks that would happen in the old UK colonial club if they did switch it all over to driving on the left side of the car, right side of the road. Wow. On a much bigger scale, imagiine the infrastructure changes that would need to be made. It would cost a fortune, and what would people with the old style cars do with the switch? They'd be all messed up. Everyone would have to relearn how to drive.

The installed user base and infrastructure changes required are too large, as you well know. Some countries switched from one to the other in the early days of the automobile, but it's too late now for most.

And another bad idea crashes and burns.

Edited by YellowJacket894

And another bad idea crashes and burns.

Just because you have a personal issue with me, doesn't make it a bad idea. It is still a great idea. It's time to put the last vestiges of the British Empire behind us and move as world to create road rules that are the same though out the planet.

And how do you propose you force this change on these countries?

Sweden did it. I believe in the 70s. He does have a point. Not only would it save money. but it would increase saftey, as those visiting that country would have less issues.

I've drivin on the wrong side in India. Fun, but not so smart. Besides, it just doesn't make sense. Most people in the world are right handed. Why would you use your left hand to change gears?

Just because you have a personal issue with me, doesn't make it a bad idea. It is still a great idea. It's time to put the last vestiges of the British Empire behind us and move as world to create road rules that are the same though out the planet.

I don't have a personal issue with you, Custom, and I'm not saying you don't have a point. I was just saying it was a bad idea for the reasons griffon listed. And not only that, you would have to have every other automaker make the switch, as well as spend a large sum of money to change the infrastructure. And GM alone is supposed to start this shift how? If GM was the only automaker offering nothing but left-hand drive vehicles in, say, the U.K, don't you think it would hurt sales as people would just go to another automaker that offered right-hand drive?

If everyone would make the shift at once, it could work. But from the way I see it, I don't think it can.

Edited by YellowJacket894

one thing to consider... it's not like RHD vehicles are incompatible with roads where you drive on the right. Sure, there are reasons it's better to have the other design, but it's not like everyone would HAVE to buy a new car because of a switch. On a global level, it sounds good. Some areas (those african countries for example) would not have a hard time at all switching - it would be pretty much all signs aside from a handful of city roads. Starting there would help pressure the more developed countries later.

shouldnt the world understand, if its not the way the US does it, it cant be right!?

:lol:

Think how much easier it would be for automakers to make cars if every country drove on the right side of the road.

Countries in red drive on the right side of the road, those in blue drive on the left side of the road. Most countries drive on the right side of the road. The majority of the countries that drive on the left side of the road are relics from the old British Empire.

countriesdrivingontheleii9.jpg

I thought you meant 'right' as in opposed to 'wrong', with the UK being wrong of course :P

EDIT - I didn't know all those countries that drive on the left side of the road vote Democrat :smilewide:

Edited by ZL-1

EDIT - I didn't know all those countries that drive on the left side of the road vote Democrat :smilewide:

If that map was actually representative of that, I would freak out. And fly my ass to Australia.

You are a terminal conformist.

The ship for this idea sailed at the dawning of a worldwide auto industry.

If that map was actually representative of that, I would freak out. And fly my ass to Australia.

There are many shades of both blue and red, and not all are pretty.

There are many shades of both blue and red, and not all are pretty.

This is very true. I am very much a liberal, but with every liberal position I have, I generally take the most conservative position within it. I get annoyed by the psycho pseudo-nazi liberals just as much as I can't stand easily herded moral majority neo-cons. :-P

Getting back to the topic at hand, I don't see why the world shouldn't conform to our standards. After all, we are he freest and most moral nation on earth.

I can't see a country like Japan switching "easily".

Japan would surely be against it: it helps keep foreign makes out of their protected turf, no?

This idea makes a lot of sense, especially as business people and tourists mix and mingle the world over. I have driven in the Bahamas a few times and it is scary - actually, walking in the Bahamas is scary! Clearly, since the majority of coutries drive on the right, it would make sense for England, Japan, etc. to make the changes.

But while we are at it, why don't we post a map of countries that use metric, versus those on the ANCIENT, OUT-DATED Imperial system and suggest those changes, too? :duck:

But while we are at it, why don't we post a map of countries that use metric, versus those on the ANCIENT, OUT-DATED Imperial system and suggest those changes, too? :duck:

I agree. The automotive manufacturing world has pretty much converted, as have a lot of manufacturing categories. Makes trade easier. I would guess the largest industry that would drag it's feet is construction.

I was in the Bahamas about seven years ago... interestingly, they drive on the left with LHD cars. :rolleyes:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor