Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toyota.vs.GM

GM pulls ahead of Toyota

43 posts in this topic

General Motors said it sold 9.369,524 vehicles worldwide last year,up 3 percent from 2006,which also beat out Toyota for the top spot,Toyota sold 9,366,000 vehicles in 2007.

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

In the words of Mark Twain, "the rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Good to see - now let's watch how the rest of the media covers it.

It doesn't matter.

It will be close for quite some time now as Toyota discovered that the job isn't so easy after all and GM discovered that the title actually could be defended.

The two will trade punches for the forseeable future.

Knowing toyota they probably sold 9.300,001 vehicles which they rounded up.

On the front page of the Reuters business section, they are now reporting that GM did outsell Toyota (by a ridiculously slim margin).

GM pulls ahead of Toyota in '07 global sales - By Jui Chakravorty Das

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp on Wednesday reported worldwide sales of 9.37 million vehicles in 2007, coming in just ahead of Japanese rival Toyota Motor Corp in a closely watched race for the top spot in global sales.

GM, which was expected to lose its title of the world's largest automaker for the first time in 76 years, sold 9,369,524 vehicles in 2007. Toyota sold about 9,366,000 units, a source told Reuters on Wednesday.

The Japanese automaker earlier this month publicly announced global sales of 9.37 million for 2007, saying it would disclose more precise figures in late January.

GM said its total global sales rose 3 percent from a year earlier, driven by strong growth in regions outside North America.

Still, the two automakers are neck-and-neck, with only about 3,500 vehicles separating them at a time when Toyota has been growing in the United States -- the world's single largest market for vehicle sales -- while GM's domestic market share has been slipping.

Since 1998, GM's global sales have grown at an average annual rate of about 1.5 percent, while Toyota's growth rate has been five times that.

The two automakers have been perceived to be in a heated race this year after Toyota overtook GM in the first quarter and then fell behind by just a few thousand units later in the year.

"We are very competitive here at GM and obviously we'd like to win," GM's chief sales analyst, Mike DiGiovanni, said on a call on Wednesday.

Read the rest here: http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN2362036320080123

Edited by makfu

Like Jack Smith said all the way back in 1992 at a shareholders meeting... "We must get profitable, satisfy consumers with better products and GROW the business in future years."

The General isn't a spent force yet in the auto industy.

This makes me just want to put on my GM shirt and give the middle finger to every import driver I see.

(Yep, I know... But it's funny!)

This makes me just want to put on my GM shirt and give the middle finger to every import driver I see.

Me too!

Edited by I hope GMRULES again

Every once in a while I want to do the same thing.

A race to 9.37 million vehicles for both companies ends in a win by 3 thousand.

That's insane.

To put it into perspective:

9,369,524 - 9,366,000 = 3,524 gap

3,524 / 9,369,524 = 0.03%

If 9,369,524 cars represents a quarter mile, then 3,524 represents... roughly half a foot.

So if this was a drag race, GM just won by 6 inches.

So does GM's . And GM also includes figures from sales in minority owned stake such as the Wuling Motors in China.

SGM-Wuling is the only minority-owned operation— a JV between GM, SAIC Motor and Wuling Motor. Although GM owns slightly more than a third it is effectively run as part of Shanghai GM.

9,369,524 - 9,366,000 = 3,524 gap

Essentially the same. So to me, this should at least mean that GM -- through it all -- is competitive with Toyota and, hopefully with the new GM products like the NG Buick LaCrosse, will improve upon their future totals.

Edited by wildcat

Almost as funny as my urge to flip off those with Confederate flags... :P

I have stopped flipping off every current-gen Prius driver because I feel sorry for them... but I still regularly flip off every new Tundra driver and I make sure they see me, too.

I have stopped flipping off every current-gen Prius driver because I feel sorry for them... but I still regularly flip off every new Tundra driver and I make sure they see me, too.

:thumbsup:

Honestly I know it was close but a Vinny would say like in F&F it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile... Winning is winning. Toyota lost. :bowdown::Toyota::lovey::gm_logo:

I starting do it... And you know what when there tailgate falls off I will laugh... I feel even worse for them than the Prius drivers. It is a free experison thats why America is good.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0