NOS2006

'09 XLR to get Update?

76 posts in this topic

cadillac-xlr-v.jpg

Cadillac will launch its new 2009 XLR roadster in July, according to a new report. Details of the new model remain unclear, as does the timeline for its debut. While the Chicago Tribune article specifies a date for the car's launch, it's not clear if the newspaper is referring to an unveiling or a sales launch.

If the new XLR is merely a 'facelift' to the existing model, then a debut in the next few months and a sales launch in July seems reasonable. However, if the XLR is a fully redesigned model, then it would likely take at least eight months to reach market, meaning it would be revealed in July and on the market in early 2009.

Another mystery is the new XLR line's engines. Although the XLR is built on the Chevrolet Corvette platform, it has used only Cadillac engines in the past. The base model has a 4.6-liter V8 from the STS and SRX, while the more powerful XLR-V has the supercharged 4.4-liter V8 from the STS-V.

There is some speculation the next XLR-V will get a new motor — possibly the 550 horsepower LSA V8 from the 2009 CTS-V. Of course, this is just speculation at this point in time. What's more, the nature of the redesigned XLR will determine when we see a new XLR-V. If the 2009 model is a simple facelift, both cars should debut around the same time. If it's a complete redesign, the XLR-V could debut as much as a year later.

One thing is sure — at least according to the Tribune — the XLR range won't get its own version of the 620 hp Corvette ZR1.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-2009-ca...ve-in-july.html Edited by NOS2006

I know the XLR update is coming soon, but I forget specifically when. I think it might be a little bit later than 2009, however.

Considering there haven't been any spyshots of the XLR undergoing testing, I'm guessing it's going to be a facelift. Hopefully a new interior is on the menu.

09 is too early, unless they decided to half-ass it and moved the MCE up. The SL is getting somewhat long in the tooth, and it's interior isn't as good as it used to be, it seems. I sat in one at the auto show and didn't think it was that great for $100k.

The SL does look better than the XLR to me now though, especially inside.

09 is too early, unless they decided to half-ass it and moved the MCE up. The SL is getting somewhat long in the tooth, and it's interior isn't as good as it used to be, it seems. I sat in one at the auto show and didn't think it was that great for $100k.

SL just has an update for 2009.

A question: should XLR offer a model with the DI V6? What are everybody's thoughts on that?

Edited by ZL-1

A question: should XLR offer a model with the DI V6? What are everybody's thoughts on that?

DI 3.6, LS3, and LSA? Sounds good to me! :)

Umm... Hell no!

Umm... Hell no!

Next question, then: why not?

I think 3.6 DI, LS3 and the LSA motor for the 2009 model year along with a price drop or free options etc would be a smart move for the XLR and XLR V

JMO

I think 3.6 DI, LS3 and the LSA motor for the 2009 model year along with a price drop or free options etc would be a smart move for the XLR and XLR V

JMO

I couldn't agree more. The 3.6L DI has only 20 HP less than the base Northstar engine in the XLR and is probably way cheaper and gets better MPGs.

Next question, then: why not?

Because it is a halo car in a division for people that don't care about fuel mileage.

Leave the V6 for the sedans at the bottom of the division (and by that I mean NOT the XLR and NOT the ULS)

Cheapening the XLR would be a disaster. If you want a 'cheap' Cadillac fun car, use Alpha as a basis.

I couldn't agree more. The 3.6L DI has only 20 HP less than the base Northstar engine in the XLR and is probably way cheaper and gets better MPGs.

And the weak motor is exactly one reason why the XLR has been an also ran on the sales charts. Why replace it with a weaker unit?

In order to be taken seriously, the XLR needs to improve, not be cheapened and vanilla-ized. Remember; the original goal for the new Cadillac was not volume, but prestige and profit. I think GM is losing sight of that daily.

It doesn't matter if the 3.6 DI is left off the list..but dropping in an ls3 and LSA v8 sounds like a cool way to go.........

And the weak motor is exactly one reason why the XLR has been an also ran on the sales charts. Why replace it with a weaker unit?

In order to be taken seriously, the XLR needs to improve, not be cheapened and vanilla-ized. Remember; the original goal for the new Cadillac was not volume, but prestige and profit. I think GM is losing sight of that daily.

I'd change pricing if the 3.6 were introduced in it...

Base w/ 310 HP 3.6L DI: $75,000

Mid-level w/ 430 HP LS3: $85,000

XLR-V w/ 550 HP LSA: $100,000

But the XLR needs a facelift or redesign. It's not worth $75,000 let alone $82,000 or six digits. It looks nice on the outside, but is everything down to the bare bones (including interior materials, technology, and refinement) worth the price? No.

Because it is a halo car in a division for people that don't care about fuel mileage.

Leave the V6 for the sedans at the bottom of the division (and by that I mean NOT the XLR and NOT the ULS)

Cheapening the XLR would be a disaster. If you want a 'cheap' Cadillac fun car, use Alpha as a basis.

I agree to some degree. What would you say to a Turbo / Super Charged version of the DI3.6?

Edited by EMan

I'd change pricing if the 3.6 were introduced in it...

Base w/ 310 HP 3.6L DI: $75,000

Mid-level w/ 430 HP LS3: $85,000

XLR-V w/ 550 HP LSA: $100,000

But the XLR needs a facelift or redesign. It's not worth $75,000 let alone $82,000 or six digits. It looks nice on the outside, but is everything down to the bare bones (including interior materials, technology, and refinement) worth the price? No.

$75k for a V6 XLR? No way that's going to fly.

$75k for a V6 XLR? No way that's going to fly.

Then why is it perfectly fine to charge $7,000 more for 15 more HP?

Then why is it perfectly fine to charge $7,000 more for 15 more HP?

The 07 XLR currently has $7500 off, and I'm sure there are plenty left sitting around. I think it's quite clear the XLR isn't accepted with a V8 at $75k, much less a V6. People who buy cars for the image such as the SL don't want a measly V6 in their car, they want at least 8 cylinders. "Common folk" cars have V6, and they don't want that association of, "it's only a V6."

People who can afford a $75k+ car don't give a rat's ass about fuel economy, so long as it's not under 10MPG. A V6 is much, much less prestigious than a V8, and the couple MPGs better fuel economy the V6 would get wouldn't matter to people who can afford it.

How are SL buyers supposed to take the XLR seriously if the base engine is a V6? The SL has 380HP base, the XLR should have at least that much power to start with and be priced $20k less. It should probably be DOHC too, at this price point.

How are SL buyers supposed to take the XLR seriously if the base engine is a V6? The SL has 380HP base, the XLR should have at least that much power to start with and be priced $20k less. It should probably be DOHC too, at this price point.

I didn't know this.. With this thing at 380, why the hell is the XLR at 320 HP?! Then again, why the hell is the SL priced to start at $95k? Such a stupid market.

The 07 XLR currently has $7500 off, and I'm sure there are plenty left sitting around. I think it's quite clear the XLR isn't accepted with a V8 at $75k, much less a V6. People who buy cars for the image such as the SL don't want a measly V6 in their car, they want at least 8 cylinders. "Common folk" cars have V6, and they don't want that association of, "it's only a V6."

People who can afford a $75k+ car don't give a rat's ass about fuel economy, so long as it's not under 10MPG. A V6 is much, much less prestigious than a V8, and the couple MPGs better fuel economy the V6 would get wouldn't matter to people who can afford it.

:word:

People here seem to be having a hard time distinguishing the differing motivations to buy a car. (And I hope GM isn't the same way)

For Suzie Homemaker, it doesn't really matter what propels her ride of choice because she buys the car for function, as an appliance. For hardcore enthusiasts people like me and Cadillac buyers, the purchase is as much about identity and image as anything else.

That's why this whole "Lets downsize everything and slap in a 4 cylinder" logic will not work. It's more of a perception and marketing thing than a performance thing.

Sure, it's the cool thing to be "green" now. But the cause hasn't caught on enough to sway the buying habits of people who are virtually unaffected by the consequences. (a.k.a. People who can afford gas or people who will sacrifice other things in their life to fulfill their driving needs)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

300 hp v6's are acceptable ...

I believe that the Mercedes convertible does come in europe with a v6.

I personally 320hp v8's are outclassed in todays hp crazy marketplace..

390 to 430 hp V8's..are in a range more acceptable today.

475 to 550 hp are an exciting proposition for the XLR and XLR V

The only 6 cylinder that seems to be acceptable in that type of car around here is a Porsche, and that's only because people don't really know any better, or care to know for that matter because it is a "Porsche." You tell some Porsche owner their car has a flat six, and it is very possible they may not know what they hell you are talking about. Porsche has used that engine formula for years and it is quite possibly one of the most advanced 6 cylinder engines created.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room