Toyota cuts truck, SUV production at TX and IN

mustang84

Looks like that $1.6 billion Texas truck plant wasn't such a wise decision after all... :alcoholic:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Toyota Motor Corp. is slowing production of big pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles at its Texas and Indiana plants because of slowing demand, The Wall Street Journal reported late Thursday on its Web site, citing a company spokesman. The newspaper reported a Toyota spokesman said the Japanese automaker has cut production rates of full-size Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia SUVs at the Texas and Indiana plants over the past several weeks but declined to say by how much.

Copyright © 2008 MarketWatch, Inc.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industr...t_520194_6.html

$1.6 billion? Has the American dollar dropped that much in a year? I thought it was a one billion dollar plant.

$1.6 billion? Has the American dollar dropped that much in a year? I thought it was a one billion dollar plant.
It was originally supposed to cost $800 million, but there were delays, higher material costs than anticipated, etc. that brought the cost up to $1.3 billion (I was wrong before. It wasn't widely reported, but the San Antonio plant went way over the original cost projections; pretty expensive mistake to make. Edited by mustang84

No, you're wrong: Toyota does not make mistakes. :rolleyes:

Wait until the 2-mode GM system is in full swing. There was a local show the other day with the hybrid Tahoe and regular crew cab Silverado and they tested them off-road, pulling an 8,000 lb tractor on mud, slalom and other tests. The result: a tie. Not bad, considering the hybrid is expected to get 25% better fuel mileage.

Suck on that, Toyota.

LOL...

I agree with everything that's been said.

Of course, neither this nor Toyota's 'truck ignorance' in general will see the light of day for too long. If GM cuts production, it's time to trim a division. But if Toyota cuts production, it's barely even news.

Just like when GM trucks had a tailgate recall, it was a question of whether or not GM's reliability had changed in 25 years. Where as, when a Toyota truck breaks a camshaft, the wheel falls off, the body or frame cracks or owners get screwed on resale, it's not newsworthy.

Toyota has better PR. Period.

The truck debacle will get little play because, at the end of the day, they can make money without these products...and GM can't.

Toyota will lose Billions and shrug it off--the glee with which the posters here attack them is astonishing, as you guys cry like babies everytime GM gets criticized, fairly or not.

Just bear in mind that the same logic that Toyota used to get these factories build was used by GM's braintrust to 'pull ahead' the GMT900's. One difference: Toyota didn't sacrifice anything, GM basically threw out the Zetas--premium CARS that might have produced similar profits as the GMT900's that are currently nailed to dealer lots across the country.

But don't worry, RF, BL & Fritz all got their well deserved raises for such advanced thinking! :rolleyes:

Edited by enzl

Toyota has better PR. Period.

The truck debacle will get little play because, at the end of the day, they can make money without these products...and GM can't.

Toyota will lose Billions and shrug it off--the glee with which the posters here attack them is astonishing, as you guys cry like babies everytime GM gets criticized, fairly or not.

Just bear in mind that the same logic that Toyota used to get these factories build was used by GM's braintrust to 'pull ahead' the GMT900's. One difference: Toyota didn't sacrifice anything, GM basically threw out the Zetas--premium CARS that might have produced similar profits as the GMT900's that are currently nailed to dealer lots across the country.

But don't worry, RF, BL & Fritz all got their well deserved raises for such advanced thinking! :rolleyes:

None of which changes the fact that the Tundra was an Ill-conceived, poorly executed substandard product. I told you it would be a stinker and it has been.

Yes, I take great joy in Toyota's failings and wish them only the worst of luck in the future. Every stumble they make gladdens my heart.

LOL...

I agree with everything that's been said.

Of course, neither this nor Toyota's 'truck ignorance' in general will see the light of day for too long. If GM cuts production, it's time to trim a division. But if Toyota cuts production, it's barely even news.

Just like when GM trucks had a tailgate recall, it was a question of whether or not GM's reliability had changed in 25 years. Where as, when a Toyota truck breaks a camshaft, the wheel falls off, the body or frame cracks or owners get screwed on resale, it's not newsworthy.

What is funny, though, is that Toyota has been doing compact trucks well for decades..the Tacoma has certainly been a better truck overall than the Ranger or S10 and Colorado. I wonder why it was so difficult for them to build a decent full size?

What is funny, though, is that Toyota has been doing compact trucks well for decades..the Tacoma has certainly been a better truck overall than the Ranger or S10 and Colorado. I wonder why it was so difficult for them to build a decent full size?

Because Japan doesn't do big very well.

The Tacoma just got a huge bump in rust-through warranty protection because of some serious customer complaints....I think they used to make a great small truck...now their's is probably the best through attrition and ineptitude by Ford, Dodge and Nissan & GM.

(I owned an '81 Toyota P/U I bought with 145k on the clock years ago. Reliable and easy to maintain, it took my cross country many times.)

Edited by enzl

Nah! That is just a smoke mirror. Toy is coming with HD line of trucks next year.

^Yeah the truck they'll never build... *Not anytime soon and with this sorrow taste of reality that the American SUV/Truck wave slowing the heads in Japan certainly would rather put funds somewhere else.* So how have Sequoia sales been you bastards? By the way they are even uglier than the Tundra you can bet with the money they spent on the plant in TX and not making the 200K mark sales this next year should be even worse. Not that GM's won't be but not to that extent. Toyota has spent money on what they thought was an exploding market that is now passing. So where is there large CUV? Oh thats right they have the Highlander. This is very good news. Those bastards should take there Turd and stick it.

The humpers will never admit it, but the tundra is a prime example of 'too little, too late'... and we were all led to believe that stumble-footed short-sightedness was impossible from the Great Master.

enzl ->>"Toyota will lose Billions and shrug it off--the glee with which the posters here attack them is astonishing..."<<

'Astonishing'?? How can you still not get why we come here ?

You must read the toyota boards- plenty of high-fiving glee over there, too, much of it a lot more over-the-top/unrealistic than is ever posted here.

Edited by balthazar

The humpers will never admit it, but the tundra is a prime example of 'too little, too late'... and we were all led to believe that stumble-footed short-sightedness was impossible from the Great Master.

enzl ->>"Toyota will lose Billions and shrug it off--the glee with which the posters here attack them is astonishing..."<<

You must read the toyota boards- plenty of high-fiving glee over there, too, much of it a lot more over-the-top/unrealistic than is ever posted here.

It was more of a "Yes we can" build a truck better than the Detroit ones, and sell it to the sheeples. It is a disaster. But I think half of the Turds are sold in Florida.

Right.

So, didn't your mother ever ask you about your friends jumping off bridges?

I never even glance at Toyota Fan Sites---who cares what they say?

It makes us look petty and bitter. You're taking it way too personally...and I don't know too many enthusiasts that are 'fans' of Toyota. You recommend Corollas to your grandmother...that's not where I think GM should be going if they want to survive.

>>"didn't your mother ever ask you about your friends jumping off bridges?"<<

>>"You recommend Corollas to your grandmother"<<

Are you currently drinking?

>>"who cares what they say? It makes us look petty and bitter."<<

Then it also makes them look petty & bitter. Maybe moreso, since it's arguably less 'legitimate'.

Most GM fans get satisfaction over mishaps at toyo, most toyo fans get satisfaction over mishaps at GM. Meanwhile, you seems to be standing on the sidelines, pleading for everyone to just... hug. We here don't want to hug.

>>"didn't your mother ever ask you about your friends jumping off bridges?"<<

>>"You recommend Corollas to your grandmother"<<

Are you currently drinking?

>>"who cares what they say? It makes us look petty and bitter."<<

Then it also makes them look petty & bitter. Maybe moreso, since it's arguably less 'legitimate'.

Most GM fans get satisfaction over mishaps at toyo, most toyo fans get satisfaction over mishaps at GM. Meanwhile, you seems to be standing on the sidelines, pleading for everyone to just... hug. We here don't want to hug.

Please.

You sound like a petulant child...and just because some other sites or other individuals choose to act like morons--well, it shouldn't be an invitation to do so yourself.

But go ahead--I'll take another sip of daquiri while I wait for another pearl of wisdom.

And, regardless of source, there's nothing 'legitimate' about reveling in others' misfortune....you can rationalize all you want--I'd look forward to posts that are insightful, rather than gloating. That's why I come here.

Think we might have more members, better discourse & (god forbid) a better site if the rhetoric was turned down a notch? I get shouted down here all the time--and its disheartening sometimes--but there's a difference between honest disagreement and a gleeful schadenfreude that borders on psychosis.

Ever think that this type of behavior frustrates guys like FlyBrian who just disappear one day? To me, that's glaring evidence that a general attitude problem spills over into other aspects of the site and rots it from within.

Edited by enzl

Ever think that this type of behavior frustrates guys like FlyBrian who just disappear one day? To me, that's glaring evidence that a general attitude problem spills over into other aspects of the site and rots it from within.

lol, rant about speculation, then make a random comment trying to insert your own reason as to why a person hasn't been around in a while. :rolleyes:

So demand for their newest bloat beasts isn't what they thought it would be?

Yeah......but who out there isn't either cutting truck production.......or running way-substantial days' supply......?

If anyone has days' supply info readily available I'd be curious what it is among all the full-size truck manufacturers......THEN take that information and compare it to who all is cutting production more....or less....than the others.....

enzl ->>"Ever think that this type of behavior frustrates guys like FlyBrian who just disappear one day? To me, that's glaring evidence that a general attitude problem spills over into other aspects of the site and rots it from within."<<

Flybrian - 12-13-07>>"Toyota can bite my ass with their inferior, poor-running, unreliable, bland, useless abominations."<<

Flybrian - 12-04-07>>"Unfortunate, because the ES is a disgusting car."<<

Flybrian - 11-17-07>>"'Hyundai sucks' isn't bias; its fact, beeyotch."<<

Um, yea. Thanks for straightening me out.

No, I think it was another sort of rot altogether that might have prompted him to spend his time elsewhere....

lol, rant about speculation, then make a random comment trying to insert your own reason as to why a person hasn't been around in a while. :rolleyes:

a. I wasn't ranting about speculation.

b. even if I was, you don't find a mods complete disappearance...especially one as invested in this site as FlyB...odd?

enzl ->>"Ever think that this type of behavior frustrates guys like FlyBrian who just disappear one day? To me, that's glaring evidence that a general attitude problem spills over into other aspects of the site and rots it from within."<<

Flybrian - 12-13-07>>"Toyota can bite my ass with their inferior, poor-running, unreliable, bland, useless abominations."<<

Flybrian - 12-04-07>>"Unfortunate, because the ES is a disgusting car."<<

Flybrian - 11-17-07>>"'Hyundai sucks' isn't bias; its fact, beeyotch."<<

Um, yea. Thanks for straightening me out.

No, I think it was another sort of rot altogether that might have prompted him to spend his time elsewhere....

Since, apparently, some of you guys need a sledgehammer approach:

I was refering to your (& others, to be fair) boorish/childish running commentary chasing him, not FlyBrian's automotive opinion paralleling my own and thus leaving. It gets tired and reduces the site to a level which discourages intellectual exchanges & degrades to schoolyard taunts over legitimate differences of opinion.

At least Fly could disagree with you with a well-thought, rational argument.

Edited by enzl

Hmmm....a company cutting production of low-mileage vehicles when gas prices are skyrocketing, in the long term, does this really seem like a bad idea? If they were smart, San Antonio was made to be fairly flexible, so they could maybe expand Tacoma production (for people who need a truck, but not a full-sizer) or even the Yaris/Carolla/Prius, since gas prices show no signs of dropping and the economy shows no signs of improving.

Please.

You sound like a petulant child...and just because some other sites or other individuals choose to act like morons--well, it shouldn't be an invitation to do so yourself.

But go ahead--I'll take another sip of daquiri while I wait for another pearl of wisdom.

And, regardless of source, there's nothing 'legitimate' about reveling in others' misfortune....you can rationalize all you want--I'd look forward to posts that are insightful, rather than gloating. That's why I come here.

Think we might have more members, better discourse & (god forbid) a better site if the rhetoric was turned down a notch? I get shouted down here all the time--and its disheartening sometimes--but there's a difference between honest disagreement and a gleeful schadenfreude that borders on psychosis.

Yikes, if you are drinking daiquiris at 8:30 in the morning, things must be worse than we thought! :lol:

I'm not sure.

I think the original small trucks from Japan were horrible when compared to domestic offerings. But then, as usual, Detroit got lazy and the asians got better.

Now, it's no contest, and the Detroit automakers still don't seem to get that. I really hope this same scenario doesn't play out in full size trucks.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

TOYOTA IS TEH SUXORS!!!!!!111! SOON THEY'LL BE DEAD!!!!!!! GM ROXORS UR SOXORS!!!!111!!!

At least Fly could disagree with you with a well-thought, rational argument.

All of us can... See above.

(I Couldn't resist)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I think the original small trucks from Japan were horrible when compared to domestic offerings. But then, as usual, Detroit got lazy and the asians got better.

Actually.....not quite true.....the original Japanese compact pickups were sold alongside domestic offerings such as the Chevrolet LUV and the Ford Courier.....I've got old buff rags that had numerous tests and comparos between all of them....and the LUV and Courier were no more competent than the Japanese trucks of the day (in fact, the LUV was an Isuzu design.....ironic that now Isuzu is selling GM-designed compact trucks.)

In today's time, we have Japanese compact (midsize?) trucks (Tacoma, Frontier) that are superior to their domestic competitors (Colorado/Canyon and Ranger.) Only the Dakota seems to be sized appropriately to take on the Japanese in this segment.....

Actually.....not quite true.....the original Japanese compact pickups were sold alongside domestic offerings such as the Chevrolet LUV and the Ford Courier.....I've got old buff rags that had numerous tests and comparos between all of them....and the LUV and Courier were no more competent than the Japanese trucks of the day (in fact, the LUV was an Isuzu design.....ironic that now Isuzu is selling GM-designed compact trucks.)

In today's time, we have Japanese compact (midsize?) trucks (Tacoma, Frontier) that are superior to their domestic competitors (Colorado/Canyon and Ranger.) Only the Dakota seems to be sized appropriately to take on the Japanese in this segment.....

Which leaves a gaping hole where truly compact trucks used to be in the market. The truth is, all of the entries in this segment miss the mark badly.

O.C., yes, the LUV was an Isuzu, and the Courier was a Mazda. Truly small, economical pickup trucks are ripe for a comeback. That little Chevy Montana, at the bottom of their truck line, could do well if sold here with updated styling and spunky Ecotec and diesel engines (oooh, how about an HHR pickup?). An M80 based on the Caliber might be cool, and VW could come to the US with another tiny pickup (smaller than the recent spy photos suggest). Does Ford sell a tiny truck anywhere they could bring here?

Does Ford sell a tiny truck anywhere they could bring here?[/b]

They do (I think....)

The british mags have shown a "Ranger" that looks to be somewhat of a more modern take on our Ranger. I don't know how truly competitive it is, though.

I'd say that small, compact pickups, though, wouldn't see the kind of renaissance you think. Why? I don't think you can make a compact pickup small enough and efficient enough to offset the advantages of a larger, more powerful variant.....at least enough to justify one's decision to downsize.

Look at how the Colorado does compared to it's larger import competition......way less power and performance, but negligible, if any, improvement in economy of operation (not trying to rag on your rig.....just trying to debate the merits of staying "small.")

But....who knows.......

This is why I will never be happy to see the Hummer H2 go....

before I would ever be okay with saying "screw the H2" I'd first have to

see a complete discontinuation of the Tundra, Sequoia & Land Cruiser.*

* along with their Lexus rebadge twins.

OB: I'm loving your HHR-pickup idea!!!