Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cory Wolfe

Pondering...

55 posts in this topic

I've been thinking... Rather than getting a loan and buying something nice right away, should I just look into another beater? Course, one that isn't as much of a money pit as nor as inefficient as the Cutlass. I currently have about $1200 saved up that could go towards something... decent. Nothing stellar, but something affordable to drive around in while I attempt to sell the Cutlass. As mentioned, the Cutlass is too much of a money pit, especially in gas. This would allow me to save money at a much greater rate.

Some of you still think I should put it into my Millenia, but at the moment its on the back burner until something changes on the diagnostic level. I would also rather put this money towards something I can rely on, there's no guarantee that any money put into my Millenia will help it, as I learned.

Thoughts?

Rather than dealing with registration fees and hoping the "beater" is reliable, if it were me I'd spend a hundred two on a dealer actually taking a good look at the Mazda or something, find teh real problem, and go from there.

That requires patience. Do I seem like the patient type? :P

It's already been taken to a trusted garage for a few days and had over a hundred spent on such. Combine the false diagnosis with buying a part based on that diagnosis, I basically threw $200 away. I'm not one for throwing more money away, especially when I'm left with barely anything from my paycheck because I have to spend anywhere from $60 to $100 per week on gas for the Cutlass. And then, of course, it needs brakes, tires, and a suspension link of some sort, renewed registration, and inspection, pending there are no issues that havent popped up since it's been sitting. I'd love to get it back on the road, but it's not looking feasible at the moment. I'd rather throw money at it when I'm in a better position financially.

The big thing to consider is that while you are throwing money at it, you do know the car. When buying a new used car there's always the chance of the unforeseen happening. Remember how you wanted to sell the Cutlass without mentioned it's issues? It could end up light the $h!fire: fine at first then downhill after that. I just think it would be worth it take it to another place and get a 2nd opinion, maybe they'll find something the other mechanic missed. It's entirely possible. The brakes you could do yourself, tires you could pick up used, not sure about teh suspension though...but you get my drift.

If you're anting a new car go for it, just my :twocents:

Edited by Dodgefan

I would forget about either of your two cars when you are better off financially. The Millenia and the Cutlass both are not worth the investment, despite any sentimental value there.

Forget the beater idea and get a loan for a decent car and sell the Millenia and the Cutlass to recoup the losses. That's what I say.

I would forget about either of your two cars when you are better off financially. The Millenia and the Cutlass both are not worth the investment, despite any sentimental value there.

Forget the beater idea and get a loan for a decent car and sell the Millenia and the Cutlass to recoup the losses. That's what I say.

That's an idea, but then you'd have to fix the Millenia to actually sell it for reasonable money anyway.

If you buy another beater, you'll end up throwing even more money away, making your situation even worse.

I figure you ought to just unload the Olds, and just get that Millenia working right. Or better yet, just sell both of them, and get a bike or something, and save your pennies for something you really want.

The big thing to consider is that while you are throwing money at it, you do know the car. When buying a new used car there's always the chance of the unforeseen happening. Remember how you wanted to sell the Cutlass without mentioned it's issues? It could end up light the $h!fire: fine at first then downhill after that. I just think it would be worth it take it to another place and get a 2nd opinion, maybe they'll find something the other mechanic missed. It's entirely possible. The brakes you could do yourself, tires you could pick up used, not sure about teh suspension though...but you get my drift.

If you're anting a new car go for it, just my :twocents:

That was Sunfire and the plan wasn't quite like that.

It's on the back burner, that's not going to change. I'm either going to buy a good car via loan or a beater via cash. Yes, I'm not going to know them as well as I know my Millenia, but right now, I don't feel I should be throwing money away, trying to fix a car. I went through this with my Grand Am. While the issues don't seem nearly as fatal, it's a financial hassle that I dont want to go through while I'm still driving the money pit that is the Cutlass. That's my main concern.

As said, it's going to come down buying another vehicle, whether with cash or a loan. That's what I'm pondering... Not whether I want to hand cuff myself to a sinking Millenia. :P

That was Sunfire and the plan wasn't quite like that.

It's on the back burner, that's not going to change. I'm either going to buy a good car via loan or a beater via cash. Yes, I'm not going to know them as well as I know my Millenia, but right now, I don't feel I should be throwing money away, trying to fix a car. I went through this with my Grand Am. While the issues don't seem nearly as fatal, it's a financial hassle that I dont want to go through while I'm still driving the money pit that is the Cutlass. That's my main concern.

As said, it's going to come down buying another vehicle, whether with cash or a loan. That's what I'm pondering... Not whether I want to hand cuff myself to a sinking Millenia. :P

You know you can lease a PT Cruiser for $99 a month. :P

Sell both cars and buy a Grandma car with low miles.

Trust me, it's a strategy that works.

:yes:

If you buy another beater, you'll just be complaining about how unreliable it is and how it pisses you off and how you want to drive it off a cliff. Cut your losses with the two vehicles you have and reduce the amount of giant lawn ornaments at Casa de Wolfe. Sell the Cutlass and the Millenia for whatever you can get for them - between the two cars I'd say $1000 to $1500 is possible - and between that and the money you have saved up you can buy a halfway decent used car.

If you buy another beater, you'll just be complaining about how unreliable it is and how it pisses you off and how you want to drive it off a cliff. Cut your losses with the two vehicles you have and reduce the amount of giant lawn ornaments at Casa de Wolfe. Sell the Cutlass and the Millenia for whatever you can get for them - between the two cars I'd say $1000 to $1500 is possible - and between that and the money you have saved up you can buy a halfway decent used car.

I'd like to do that... How likely that is, though, is another story.

I see quite a few centurys, regals, and differents late 90s/early 00s Olds out there....

Not the most fun to drive, but it will help you save up for something better....

I gotta agree with that B.V.

You got plenty of time to post here... get a Hayes/Chillton manual

and get to work on the Mazda. Patience is not something you should

be short on it you wanna make your $ go as far as possible.

Start turning wrenches instead of typing on the keyboard 5 hrs./day.

Hmm...interesting situation, BV.

Back when I only had the '79 MC Landau, I discovered that the rear frame was rusted out, causing the rear bumper to sag. Instead of really INVESTIGATING the cost of getting that frame fixed, I simply thought it would be too much ... and bought my former '88 MC LS "Silver Bullet" to use as a daily driver. Bad decision, as the '88 MC LS proved that it had NOT been taken care of well and nickled and dimed me. Meantime, 3 years later, I did some investigating ... and found that the rear frame could be re-welded for LESS THAN $200. I was shocked ... and disheartened about all the money I could've saved had I looked into it 3 years prior.

Course, by now, the '79 could've been rusted out, since fixing the rear frame back then would've meant it kept its daily driver status....

Life sure is funny.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I didn't mean to take away your dreams" ... Hootie & The Blowfish ... 'Only Lonely'

I gotta agree with that B.V.

You got plenty of time to post here... get a Hayes/Chillton manual

and get to work on the Mazda. Patience is not something you should

be short on it you wanna make your $ go as far as possible.

Start turning wrenches instead of typing on the keyboard 5 hrs./day.

I post here mostly after dark if you haven't noticed. I work daylight hours and do so most days. Would you like me to work in the dark? Also, it's not a matter of working on it. My main concern is a matter of diagnosing it and not throwing money away trying to do so. Personally, I think it would be better to do this when I'm in a better position financially. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Hmm...interesting situation, BV.

Back when I only had the '79 MC Landau, I discovered that the rear frame was rusted out, causing the rear bumper to sag. Instead of really INVESTIGATING the cost of getting that frame fixed, I simply thought it would be too much ... and bought my former '88 MC LS "Silver Bullet" to use as a daily driver. Bad decision, as the '88 MC LS proved that it had NOT been taken care of well and nickled and dimed me. Meantime, 3 years later, I did some investigating ... and found that the rear frame could be re-welded for LESS THAN $200. I was shocked ... and disheartened about all the money I could've saved had I looked into it 3 years prior.

Course, by now, the '79 could've been rusted out, since fixing the rear frame back then would've meant it kept its daily driver status....

Life sure is funny.

I have ran into that too Cort. Thought that something would be VERY expensive that turned out to be practially nothing. So I made due with it until I found out about the cheap repair. The turn signal stalk on the 1979 Impala proved that.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I didn't mean to take away your dreams" ... Hootie & The Blowfish ... 'Only Lonely'

I post here mostly after dark if you haven't noticed. I work daylight hours and do so most days. Would you like me to work in the dark? Also, it's not a matter of working on it. My main concern is a matter of diagnosing it and not throwing money away trying to do so. Personally, I think it would be better to do this when I'm in a better position financially. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I think what 68 is suggesting is that you learn to diagnose the problems and then fix them.

The more you do in that area, the easier it becomes. I would certainly have done exactly that at your age and in your circumstances.

The other side of the coin is that you really don't seem to have any desire to mess with cars that way - which makes it kind of pointless. If that's the right interpretation, then it's time to just unload both cars and find something with less issues.

Find the lowest mileage, best condition, granny car you can and you will get the most reliable transportation for the money. Just put your taste aside for this next car, so you can save the bucks for one you really like. What I'm saying is, hunt for the right situation rather than any certain car.

I think you ought to sell the two cars you have as-is and buy a ~$5-6k used car that's reliable and economic. A Civic, for example.ou ought to have $2500-3000 after you sell the two you have, I would think. Perhaps more, and you'd then only have $2500-3000 to pay off on the Civic or whatever.

I think what 68 is suggesting is that you learn to diagnose the problems and then fix them.

The more you do in that area, the easier it becomes. I would certainly have done exactly that at your age and in your circumstances.

The other side of the coin is that you really don't seem to have any desire to mess with cars that way - which makes it kind of pointless. If that's the right interpretation, then it's time to just unload both cars and find something with less issues.

Find the lowest mileage, best condition, granny car you can and you will get the most reliable transportation for the money. Just put your taste aside for this next car, so you can save the bucks for one you really like. What I'm saying is, hunt for the right situation rather than any certain car.

Understood, but, here's my question, if my uncle, who's a mechanic and the mechanics at a trusted professional garage cannot seem to correctly diagnose it, how do you expect me to?

I'd rather not have to work on a car, yes, but I'm not opposed to it. I worked on my Grand Am back in the day and did most of the work on my Millenia whenever it needed it. I think you're just confusing the situation with the Cutlass where I actually can't work on it because I have to drive it to work nearly every day without having another car to drive. I barely had time to change the sparks last year (course, I wasn't expecting to be an hour plus job). If this were the summer, however, I would have the option of using a motorcycle, so it could sit in the garage and actually be worked on whenever I had free time. But it's not, it's still quite cold out there. :P

My situation with the Millenia is that I don't want start putting money into while all my money is going towards the Cutlass in gas and random little things that never fail to break. Perhaps I worded it in a way that wasn't clear. I'd rather start working on it when I have something reliable and easy on gas to drive so that I actually have money to fall back on besides my savings. Know what I mean?

Yes, though, that is basically the plan if I go the beater route. To me, a granny car is a beater. It's undesirable, it's cheap, and holds no emotional value. Thus, a beater. :D

Understood, but, here's my question, if my uncle, who's a mechanic and the mechanics at a trusted professional garage cannot seem to correctly diagnose it, how do you expect me to?

I'd rather not have to work on a car, yes, but I'm not opposed to it. I worked on my Grand Am back in the day and did most of the work on my Millenia whenever it needed it. I think you're just confusing the situation with the Cutlass where I actually can't work on it because I have to drive it to work nearly every day without having another car to drive. I barely had time to change the sparks last year (course, I wasn't expecting to be an hour plus job). If this were the summer, however, I would have the option of using a motorcycle, so it could sit in the garage and actually be worked on whenever I had free time. But it's not, it's still quite cold out there. :P

My situation with the Millenia is that I don't want start putting money into while all my money is going towards the Cutlass in gas and random little things that never fail to break. Perhaps I worded it in a way that wasn't clear. I'd rather start working on it when I have something reliable and easy on gas to drive so that I actually have money to fall back on besides my savings. Know what I mean?

Yes, though, that is basically the plan if I go the beater route. To me, a granny car is a beater. It's undesirable, it's cheap, and holds no emotional value. Thus, a beater.:D

Thus my suggestion that you get a granny car beater. If the car is cheap and much younger (at least mileage wise), you can have a reliable beater instead of the two you have which require attention. The best beaters are ones you can largely ignore while you save for (or work on) a car you really like. If those cars were mine, I'd puff up the Mazda as well as I could for small change and dump it. The Cutlass I'd give a good once over to make it a better driver and stick with it. But, I know you don't love the Cutlass , so my advice remains to dump both cars and go cheap with the lowest mile car you can find.

I'd use this criteria:

- low miles ( like under 70k)

- granny owned

- undervalued in the market

- maintenance history

- bulletproof drivetrain

- solid body and interior

- simple to maintain

- inexpensive and common parts

- not too highly equipped so reliability is better.

- good tires

- recent inspection

- Fuel injection

See. I said nothing about brand, or drive wheels, or engine size. If a car meets all of these parameters, that's the one you need right now. Otherwise you have two cars in need of attention that will suck up your wages and tick you off.

The Cutlass I'd give a good once over to make it a better driver and stick with it. But, I know you don't love the Cutlass , so my advice remains to dump both cars and go cheap with the lowest mile car you can find.

Unrelated topic, but on that point, I fear the Cutlass has major problems that are just starting to shine through. Like the leaking roof and increasing number of electrical gremlins. However, it's actually starting to run a tad bit better as the days go by and it gets closer to spring and summer.

Edited by blackviper8891

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0