Introducing "C&G Wants to Know"

It's no secret that GM's in a precarous position right now, and the decisions it makes over the next couple of years will determine its future and, ultimately, its survival. With that in mind, there's never been a better time to play armchair CEO. C&G is pleased to unveil its newest feature, one that'll give all you who fancy yourselves in Rick Wagoner's chair someday a chance for your voice to be heard. For this feature, titled "C&G Wants to Know", we'll take a hot button issue concerning GM and ask the question "How would you address this issue if you were running the show at GM?" Since we'll be running this in the "To General Motors" section, you may just be fortunate enough to have your ideas implemented by GM, since we all know that Rick and Bob read C&G over their morning coffee :AH-HA_wink:

And now, for the red tape:

Since this is in the "To General Motors" section, all responses should be mature, well thought out, and unbiased. We understand that you're all passionate GM fans and have different ways of showing it, but it's important to not let your passion overcome you sense of good judgement. We don't want GM execs wading through pages of profanity and personal attacks. Keep it civil - we'll be enforcing this strictly in this forum.

When we pose an issue, we'll set up a few parameters within which you'll have to work if applicable, and any posts that don't adhere to the parameters may be subject to deletion. Hopefully, the parameters we set will help stimulate some creative responses. Basically, we're really just trying to prevent a situation like this:

TOPIC: Okay, so what should GM do with Hummer?

post two: Kill it.

post three: Kill it

post four: Die Hummer Die!

post five: Kill Hummer.

So stay tuned to the "To General Motors" section. We'll be unveiling the first edition of 'C&G Wants to Know" in a couple of days. In the meantime, go out and buy yourselves a snazzy tie, 'cause it's time to play CEO.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite simply:

1. Fire all the Yes men. The white collar workforce should be pared down, immediately. If you're not an engineer or designer, your job is in immediate peril. We must show that the corporation is willing to cut deep from the top down, not just shove VEBAs and 30% paycuts at the Union guys.

1a. RW, Fritz and co. are goners. Keep Lutz for the product development and muzzle his ass--no more public speaking for Maximum Bob.

2. Flex manufacturing must be instituted in all GM plants, regardless of current product. If plant can't be retrofitted, it's toast.

3. Supplier relationships must be mended. Partner with them to share costs of new tech--give them a stake in every success--and an ability to sell that tech to others, so long as GM gets a cut.

4. Sell off anything not core to Automaking (if there's anything left).

5. Investigate the interest in the sale of any of the brands--Saturn, Hummer and Saab come immediately to mind----it's simply cheaper than closing them

6. Volt/e-Flex has to be produced, on time, regardless of cost. If it's as good as advertised, multiple products (especially upscale ones) should be readied along side it so that the costs can be recouped as quickly as possible--roll those out in '12 & beyond.

7. PR must be revamped or gutted and redone. GM hasn't done a good job with marketing or PR for 20 years. Time to find industry peole who know what they're doing.

8. No bonuses, Golden Parachutes, raises or paydays for upper management until GM is profitable. While sh!t rolls downhill, it's up to leadership to exemplify the sacrifice and concentration needed to correct the course.

That'll be how I start--assuming I can't get into a time machine and roll back some of the bone-head moves of current mgmt.

Settle down there,..I haven't even picked the topic yet :AH-HA_wink:

They will have to close at least 7 truck plants

Move escalade, yukon and rwd ridgeline type pickup to gmc on zeta

they can absorb the cost more than a tahoe.

Move colorado and canyon to epsilon II for smaller unibody pickups

Truly use their so-called flexible plants make 4 or more models and run them

efficently.

Consolidate lucerne and impala to stretched epsilon II platform and replace

the avalanche with a lambda sized pickup.

I'm all for it......but....ya know, what's in it for us?

I mean where's the compensation for years of good advice, sound consumer feedback, self-constructed environment some of us help to create here at C&G?

I'm a little tired of seeing much of what I've said be put to good use at GM, but no compensation!

AT LEAST get on here and tell us you want to send us to a consumer feedback panel for the next generation of cars!!! Would that be that hard? some non-discolsure agreements, 12 plane tickets, one week paid hotel, tour of the city......you know the royal treatment. After all, give credit where credit is due...it was C&G that started the bitching and objectivity...GMI just caught on to it after us :lol::)

Edited by turbo200

This would be easy, only if I didnt have to worry about CAFE standards, Union law suits, Global Warming, Healthcare and Retirement benefits, yada...yada...yada.

My suggestions would save $billions & all that is asked is an immediate reinvestment in product and flexibiity.

Your concerns can all be addressed.

I'm all for it......but....ya know, what's in it for us?

I mean where's the compensation for years of good advice, sound consumer feedback, self-constructed environment some of us help to create here at C&G?

I'm a little tired of seeing much of what I've said be put to good use at GM, but no compensation!

AT LEAST get on here and tell us you want to send us to a consumer feedback panel for the next generation of cars!!! Would that be that hard? some non-discolsure agreements, 12 plane tickets, one week paid hotel, tour of the city......you know the royal treatment. After all, give credit where credit is due...it was C&G that started the bitching and objectivity...GMI just caught on to it after us :lol::)

Sure, we can do that for you. No problem.

On a completely unrelated note, everyone will now be required to pay a $5 per post fee to C&G due to rising fuel costs and other miscellaneous unforseen expenses.

:P

Sure, we can do that for you. No problem.

On a completely unrelated note, everyone will now be required to pay a $5 per post fee to C&G due to rising fuel costs and other miscellaneous unforseen expenses.

:P

Great response. Brilliant!

TOPIC: Okay, so what should GM do with Hummer?

That's easy. Turn Hummer into GM's Jeep® competitor, primarily a Wrangler competitor. Kill the H2 and H3 and concentrate on the upcoming H4. Build a short-wheelbase version with 2 removable doors to compete with the 2-dr Wrangler, a long-wheelbase 4-dr version to compete with the 4-dr Wrangler, and a pickup version built on the 4-dr's long wheelbase but with the 2-dr's cab plus 2 rear suicide doors. 3 light-weight, honest-to-God 4x4 off-roaders with a choice of a DOHC V6, V8 (both with Active Fuel Management) or diesel engine, with either a 6 spd manual or 6 spd automatic and a full-line of accessories.

Am I jumping the gun?

Quite simply:

1. Fire all the Yes men. The white collar workforce should be pared down, immediately. If you're not an engineer or designer, your job is in immediate peril. We must show that the corporation is willing to cut deep from the top down, not just shove VEBAs and 30% paycuts at the Union guys.

1a. RW, Fritz and co. are goners. Keep Lutz for the product development and muzzle his ass--no more public speaking for Maximum Bob.

2. Flex manufacturing must be instituted in all GM plants, regardless of current product. If plant can't be retrofitted, it's toast.

3. Supplier relationships must be mended. Partner with them to share costs of new tech--give them a stake in every success--and an ability to sell that tech to others, so long as GM gets a cut.

4. Sell off anything not core to Automaking (if there's anything left).

5. Investigate the interest in the sale of any of the brands--Saturn, Hummer and Saab come immediately to mind----it's simply cheaper than closing them

6. Volt/e-Flex has to be produced, on time, regardless of cost. If it's as good as advertised, multiple products (especially upscale ones) should be readied along side it so that the costs can be recouped as quickly as possible--roll those out in '12 & beyond.

7. PR must be revamped or gutted and redone. GM hasn't done a good job with marketing or PR for 20 years. Time to find industry peole who know what they're doing.

8. No bonuses, Golden Parachutes, raises or paydays for upper management until GM is profitable. While sh!t rolls downhill, it's up to leadership to exemplify the sacrifice and concentration needed to correct the course.

That'll be how I start--assuming I can't get into a time machine and roll back some of the bone-head moves of current mgmt.

yes

1. GM should stop confusing its customers with new names every time it redesigns a car. Customers have faith in names they remember. Why wasn't the G8 called the Bonneville? Bonneville has a performance heritage, as well as instant name recognition. The G_ naming of Pontiac just confuses the customers, what makes it worse is you can have a G5 cost more then a G6, and a G6 cost more then a G8 which can make keeping the models in order hard for new customers. Lets see :

the G8 become Bonneville, the G6 become Grand Prix (2dr/vert)or Catalina(4dr), and the G5 become the LeMans/Tempest

Cadillac needs to go back to the Deville name, its instant recognition is priceless, and its image can be saved. DTS/STS/CTS customers don't get it. If you spend Cadillac money, people shouldn't have to explain what the hell a _T_ is .

2. Buick needs a flagship sedan that slots above the Lucerne, something for those who can afford a Cadillac but want a more classic look. V8 or DI V6 only and 6 speed auto.

3. The Saturn line needs more advertising dollars, many people don't even know it exist. The current ads are lost in a sea of me too ads in every magazine or during every commercial break, lets see something along the lines of the Malibu in terms of ads, the Outlook is all but invisible, its time to get this thing out there,m what about an Oprah/G6 type thing for Saturn?

4. Cobalt/G5 need serious updates, they are looking old and bland next to the Civic/Sentra/Lancer competition. Whats up with the G5 having 2 different plastic hubcaps available, its a Pontiac, give it alloys standard! There is nothing young or hip about plastic wheels.

5. Pontiac needs the same attention for its interiors as the other divisions have gotten, Pontiac has the worst of all GM interiors including the new G8 which is sadly plastic everywhere you touch.

6. Turn Hummer into an offshoot of GMC, in the days ahead huge gas loving SUV's are as out as vinyl roofs, lets make Hummer a part of GMC with maybe 1 or 2 models. A small Wrangler type model, and the larger H3, no trucks, thats GMCs area.

7. Combine SAAB USA with Buick, a Buick-Saab like Lincoln-Mercury or Chrysler-Plymouth could work very well.

1. Produce more cars. You can't sell em if you don't make em. I don't understand why GM doesn't ramp up the Enclave production.

2. Improve the middle divisions..Buick, Saturn and Pontiac. More products and yet less overlap.

3. Import more G8s and Astras..raise production to 75K per year for each car.

4. As someone else stated, stop changing names. G8, Lucerne, G6, DTS, etc are confusing to the consumers who don't spend the time we do here on studying vehicles.

5. A Chevy that gets 40-50 MPG. Heck the Metro did way back in the days of cheap gasoline.

6. Cheap high volume cars that turn people on..so high schools and college parking lots are full of such cars..maybe a Nomad? Something cute and popular. If GM can connect with the youth today then there is a future. It is the BABYBOOMERS that are killing GM right now. They still blame the company for their 1972 Vega that left them sitting beside the road. Getting the young ones into the dealerships is the most important thing.

whoever is facilitating this feature, ought to get on the ball... its not always a good idea to introduce something thats supposed to happen in a couple days and it be a couple weeks with no progress. if there will be a subform dedicated to CEO decisions, it should be created. If there will be topics that are consistant with those of Rick wagoner or Bob Lutz they should be stated.

just as car enthusiast dont appreciate the automanufacture taking 3-4 years to convert a concept to a production model, internet junkies dont appreciate forums and topics to take longer then they ought to.

So what you're saying, Newbiewar, is that C&G want to know what the subject of the first "C&G Wants to Know" is?

possibly, they say its going to be in the 'To GM' subform, there hasnt been anything in that forum for over a half a year... why isnt this in that forum pinned at the top discussing the rules of said topics.

not saying its not been done already, but has anyone tried to contact lutz or wagooner to help provide topics, (if lutz is willing to post on the fastlane, he should be able to once every few weeks, throw us a bone, about something he is indecisive about.) his experiance does not exceed human perception. Any of the GM leaderships troubles are worthy of discussion, and are easily contrasted for pros and cons on this forum.

Good one Satty. I can always count on you for some cynical humor 8)

The first topic will come out on my lunch hour, I promise.

• 5 weeks later...
Are we ever going to get another volume of this section? No one has commented on the CAFE standards for almost a month yet there isn't a new topic in place either...

Yes. The "feature of the moment" is the Census, but once that's over and the results are tallied, you can look for a new topic.