Do You Still Have Your Legos?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/24/lego-my-v8-engine/

Is there anything that a set of LEGO bricks can't create? In the last few months, we've seen a Camaro and a Mustang both built with nothing that wasn't manufactured by the LEGO corporation, and each of those creations featured a V8 engine and working transmission. While the entire process must be insanely difficult and time-consuming, it's the engine that truly separates these from mere toys. If an engine is really nothing more than an air pump, as some like to say, then here is a working V8 engine made entirely from LEGO parts. Following the build, it's easy to see how many transformations that this engine has gone through before the current pushrod version, which operates pretty well at an indicated 1,780 revolutions per minute. This is a fitting engine design, considering that it's slated to get dropped into a Dodge Challenger replica. Click past the break for a video of the engine in action.

Wow... that's awesome.

I had two and only TWO types of toys as a kid.

1. Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Majorette/Ertl/Corgi/Bburago/Maisto etc. car models

(I still collect them, I have over 4000 at last count, over 250 of just the 1:18th scale ones!)

2. Legos

And about 2 weeks ago I went to my parent's attic and pulled out the GIANT 2' x 1.5' x 1.5'

plastic Tupperware container of Legos from my childhood. Now I got Sofia hooked on Legos

and we're in the middle of disassembling a giant space ship and building a castle/pirate fort.

AFAIK, my Legos still exist. They are in a spare room down in Maryland at the farmhouse. My Legos pre-date the handy plastic tub container... they came in a cardboard box with a simple flap on top, no way to keep them from spilling if the box got tipped. I used to love to build houses with those and Lincoln Logs.

I never had Legos when I was growing up. :angry: (To some of you out there, that may explain a lot.) :lol:

Instead, I had 'Super City,' a box of plastic squares, about 3" X 3" that had teeth down two sides and gutters down two others. The square frames of plastic would snap together and form a super structure of any building. It did skyscrapers particularly well. Then there were various panels of different types of material that snapped inside the square frames, from blue acrylic to simulate windows, to a sheet of fake bricks, to aluminum siding - whatever. I had the Town & Country Set, which was 3rd from the biggest (most expensive) set. I wanted the biggest set because it came with battery powered lights, water fountains (and I think elevators, too, if I remember correctly.) I haven't seen these building sets on sale for about 30 years or more. I guess it was just one of those fad toys of the late '60s.

Anyway, I still have about 75 or so Hotwheels and 'Dinky' cars (which would also explain a lot to some of you out there.) I have a very cool '72 Citroen SM that is very lifelike, along with a '64 Riviera, and a few others: these I had the brains to wrap in tissue paper about 35 years ago and preserve.

I even have Lady Penelope's pink car from Thunderbirds. Sigh. AND THAT EXPLAINS A LOT ABOUT ME, TOO. Mind you, it does shoot rockets out of the front grille, so it isn't too 'foofy.'

My Legos are boxed up in my garage somewhere. Whenever I got a new set I'd build it according to the instructions, but after about a week I'd rip it apart and make something else, and the pieces would mix with all the other pieces and the original model would never be made again XD. In fact, the only model I still have assembled according to the original plans is a Mega Bloks F/A-18.

I also believe that the American Plastic Bricks that I used to play with and my dad before me are still at my grandma's house (now my aunt & uncle's). Those were great for making nice looking buildings (though not much else)

My German great aunt gave me a huge amount of Legos when I was a little boy, and they are still sitting in a large wooden box my father made out in my garage. I never married and never had a son so I have never given them to anyone even though I haven't played with them since 1975.

I still pull my Legos out once in a while. I've got gears and pistons...one of my Lego kits made a four-cylinder RWD car with a working transmission (forward gear, neutral, and reverse) and rack-and-pinion steering. I'm saving up to buy another kit that produces a V8 (working) with a four-speed (working) transmission and (working) four wheel drive/steering.

I've always built geared and wheeled creations. I've made many four-wheel steering and/or four-wheel drive vehicles of all types. Ideas still come to me today.

Nope, my Legos are long gone but I do have my kid's Legos (sometimes all over the house).

Why, they sometimes see the need to wash one or two, I am not sure but at least once a week, some Lego (or other toy) makes it into the laundry.

I used to have a kit for a giant lego Tyrannosaurus Rex. After I built it, I was so excited (I was probably 8 or 9 at the time) and tried to show my family. After he saw it, my older brother proceeded to kick it over, then step on it, completely ruining my work. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at him for a long time after that.

I used to have a kit for a giant lego Tyrannosaurus Rex. After I built it, I was so excited (I was probably 8 or 9 at the time) and tried to show my family. After he saw it, my older brother proceeded to kick it over, then step on it, completely ruining my work. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at him for a long time after that.

I kind of figured that kind of thing was what older brothers are for, I know my own pretty much ran me ragged and kept trying to cinvince me to do things that were not exactly good for my health.

I'da kicked him in the family jewels. Seriously. You don;t F%@$ with another kids' Legos.

Still have mine. I built a van out of mine. It got damaged since the move though. Someday I will try to rebuild it.

A little late on this, but that is AWESOME!

And, yes, I still have my legos:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/lego/lego.html

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Get out there and find someone" ... Good Charlotte ... 'I Don't Want To Be In Love'

• 1 month later...