Before they were big.. A few old GM SUV Ad's!

gm4life

In 1997 I was only 40 do that math on that one. Had a seven year old son and four year old daughter. Owned a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix with less than 60,000 miles on the clock and a 1987 Olds Delta 88 Sedan with barely 90K on her. This was before my addition to the house and car buying spree 2001-2008 life was simpler and cheaper. Another interesting fact was I dug out an old National Geo something I don't get anymore and found over 10 different GM ads in it. And two of them caught my eye each for BOF SUV's. One a Yukon the other a Tahoe. I have enjoyed this little trip down memory lane and feel free to share where you were in '97 and what you drove... While enjoying these ads... The more time passes by the more things stay the same... GM sells both today and thankfully they look more different than they did back in the day. Enjoy!

1997_Chevrolet_Tahoe_Like_A_Rock_Ad.jpg

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT in black.

1997_GMC_Yukon_JD_Powers_Ad.jpg

1997 GMC Yukon SLT in black.

Edited by gm4life

The year 2000 was looming on the horizon and we were going to party like it was 1999.

Those are great ads, makes those trucks pretty classy I must say.

1997...wow, thats already 11 years ago.

I have one of those Classy GMC Ads too that I can scan (for the Jimmy) of an office instead of a Library... Maybe I'll share tomorrow.

In 1997, my father was driving his recently redone 1987 GMC Sierra Classic C1500 that his father had willed him in 1990 when he passed away, and my mother was still driving her triple Colonial Yellow(!) 1985 Cadillac Eldorado. My father still had his Old Town canoe, and we had a one car garage that just barely fit his 1952 Chevrolet pickup inside. He was also restoring a 1935 Ford 1-1/2 ton dump truck. My set of wheels was an 18-speed Raleigh mountain bike (I was 11).

Now, a decade later, everything has been "upgraded:"

Dad (daily driver): 1987 GMC Sierra Classic C1500 ---> 2000 Chevrolet Silverado C1500

Mom (daily driver): 1985 Cadillac Eldorado ---> 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SE, then a 2007 Nissan Altima

Dad (boat): Old Town canoe ---> 18-foot Sea Nymph Backtroller w/60HP Johnson outboard + 34-foot Webber's Cove lobster yacht w/6V-53 Detroit Diesel

Dad (garage): one car, no attic, no heat, no electricity ---> two car, six feet longer, propane heat, walk-up attic, electricity

Dad (toy #1): 1952 Chevrolet half-ton pickup ---> 1937 Packard Super Eight model 1500 touring sedan

Dad (toy #2): 1935 Ford 1-1/2 ton dump truck ---> 1940 Packard model 1801-A panel delivery

Me (daily driver): Raleigh M-20 18-speed mountain bike ---> had 13 cars and 2 trucks, currently own three vehicles, an antique snowmobile, half a dozen antique bicycles and one modern one that I ride now when I have time. I've gone from grade school right up through college and moved out of my parents house.

Where does the time go?

I actually remember those old ads from the vast amounts of Car & Driver magazines I read as a kid (yes, in 1997).

I should try and dig up an ad for the first-generation GMC Yukon Denali if I can get around to it. I remember the ad clearly: the then new Denali was parked out in a field next to a vintage GMC firetruck. Quite a cool ad if I must say so myself.

In 1997 I was 13 and my mom drove a 1993 Mercury Villager while my dad drove a 1990 Lumina Euro (before it was given to me). I remember that was the summer that Grand Forks, ND had a massive flood that covered most of the town. The first McDonald's opened in my hometown and gas was about $1 per gallon. We used to always fill up at Dean's Texaco (before it was BP) down the street where my dad would usually buy me a soft serve vanilla ice cream cone. No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" was huge at the time, as was Smashing Pumpkins' "Mellon Collie..." and "The Freshman" by the Verve Pipe. Lots of high school kids were still driving around in RWD cars so you could hear squealing tires echo around the Square on a Friday night. People cruised all night long, and it was ok because 15 bucks would nearly fill up your tank.

Man, how times have changed.

Edited by mustang84

In '97 I only had seen 6 anniversaries of my 30th birthday. :AH-HA_wink:

My '91 Caprice wagon was still running strong (with about 130k miles on it). I spent a great couple weeks on Georgian Bay on my boat. I was still with my ex. :censored: I was NOT yet in the car business, which meant I had my sanity and time off. I had just moved to Toronto.

Ah, yes, the good ol' days.

1997 was a huge life transition year...from academia (U. of Michigan) to corporate America, moving from Michigan to Colorado. It was quite a year... I had the '87 Mustang GT and an '88 Bronco II then. In going from working as a research assistant (grunt) in a university research lab to a developer in a cube in a major telecom company, I more than quadrupled my income, which very nice.

Interesting about that Tahoe ad..never thought anything about it...figured they were prairie birds or something.

Edited by moltar

Lessee, in '97 I would've been driving my first car still, a '76 Mercury Monarch. It was a pile and slow, but it was my first car, so I loved it. Couple times a year I'll have a dream where I find it for sale somewhere & buy it back. In my more lucid, awake times, I realize how silly that would be of me. lol