Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Oh the joys of parenthood

Satty

Just this weekend:

$200 sunglasses-Lost (replacement cost: undetermined, but looking online I'm thinking $300ish)

$80 tube TV-destroyed (replacement cost: $900+ for a 26" LG LCD/DVD combo)

$20 dvd player-destroyed, in a separate incident (replacement cost: see above)

Cant wait to see what the rest of this week costs me.

My Dad still bitches at me occasionally about the time I was about 3-4, and I grabbed one of his screwdrivers out of an open toolbox and proceeded to partially dissemble his exercise bike. And then there was that time I took a novelty jumbo-sized magnet and discovered I could make cool rainbow colours on the TV screen with it.

Good times. 8)

Well I don't want to feel you, but that's a LOT of moolah you're out, sir. Maybe you can put your son back where you got him?:huh:

And speaking of shelling out $, I didn't even mention the new washing machine we had to get a few weeks ago. I knew that one was coming, but kept putting it off, then BAM! one day there was a big freaking puddle and a dead washing machine. The old dryer is going to die sometime soon, I just know it. I dont remember anyone telling me having a kid and a house would be so freaking expensive. <_<

Paying $200 for sunglasses is an idiotic expenditure, well suited for the

likes of Paris Hilton and Briney Sears. I think you're loosing brain cells

driving that Toyopet with Volt-envy.

Unless your yearly income is more than the MSRP for a Porsche 911 Turbo.

I payed $200 for my daily driver Buick.

If I were working full-time instead of doing 25 hours/week and school, Jill and I would make close to six digits combined. That certainly wasn't the case when I bought the sunglasses, but they lasted 3 years. That works out to $70/year, which is the same as 7 $10 pairs of Wal-Mart sunglasses, which barely last a week. My Oakleys withstood everything I threw at the without breaking.

If I were working full-time instead of doing 25 hours/week and school, Jill and I would make close to six digits combined. That certainly wasn't the case when I bought the sunglasses, but they lasted 3 years. That works out to $70/year, which is the same as 7 $10 pairs of Wal-Mart sunglasses, which barely last a week. My Oakleys withstood everything I threw at the without breaking.

Yup, that's the lesson of paying more for something that will last then cheaping out and having it break soon after. Our recent issue witha Toilet seat backs up this theory.

My old glasses with were around $200 lasted me 6 years or so before breaking in half...that was a fun week while I had to wait for new ones.

Granted, those are prescriptions, and I probably wouldn't pay that for sunglasses either, because I rarely use them, and my next pair of glasses will be transitions...so no need, but they will cost around $200!.

If you've got the money for it then all the power to you.

Keep in mind, when I bought them, I was still delivering pizza, so I pretty much lived in sunglasses.

And speaking of prescription glasses, I've still got the pair I was forced to buy when I got habanero pepper in my eyes and couldn't wear my contacts and that was like 4 years ago. I had every intention of getting new glasses last time I went to the optometrist, but didn't bother since my prescription was the same and I only wear my glasses around the house. These were like $90 and they're still in great shape.

Edited by Satty

likes of Paris Hilton and Briney Sears. I think you're loosing brain cells

I paid over $300 for my prescription Ray Bans and over $300 for my prescription regular glasses... good glasses are expensive.

I paid over $300 for my prescription Ray Bans and over $300 for my prescription regular glasses... good glasses are expensive.

That's a horse of a different color. My bad.

Original post said nothing of prescription... in which case $200 is probably more than reasonable.

I'm taking about, for example, the chicks who wear the giant, gaudy D&G glasses that,

along with the tramp-stamp, pretty much say white trash or ghetto trash... all while

costing more than many a necessity they go without.

That's a horse of a different color. My bad.

Original post said nothing of prescription... in which case $200 is probably more than reasonable.

I'm taking about, for example, the chicks who wear the giant, gaudy D&G glasses that,

along with the tramp-stamp, pretty much say white trash or ghetto trash... all while

costing more than many a necessity they go without.

Yeah, mine aren't blingy...some classy rectangular Ray Bans for the shades, and tiny ovalish polycarbonate rimless regular glasses w/ titanium temples (I get the smallest and lightest I can find because with my astigmatism and imbalance (right eye is much weaker than the left) they would be coke bottle thick if the lenses were large..

I kinda want to spend the 30 bucks to have the old glasses welded up so I have a "beater" pair I don't have to worry about scratching up when I do something that could cause that to happen.

Yes...I have 3 pair of old glasses (1 pr. of sunglasses, 2 pair of regular) that I've kept... still usable, had to wear one pair Saturday when a screw fell out of my regular glasses... I couldn't find the screw, had to wear my most recent pair until I could get to the glasses place and get the screw replaced...

I've tried contacts in the past, but ended up with an eye infection..I prefer glasses, but I'm pretty blind without them...

Yes...I have 3 pair of old glasses (1 pr. of sunglasses, 2 pair of regular) that I've kept... still usable, had to wear one pair Saturday when a screw fell out of my regular glasses... I couldn't find the screw, had to wear my most recent pair until I could get to the glasses place and get the screw replaced...

I've tried contacts in the past, but ended up with an eye infection..I prefer glasses, but I'm pretty blind without them...

Yeah I can't have contacts...I can't stand having something touching my eye.

Yeah I can't have contacts...I can't stand having something touching my eye.

Same here..my eyes watered horribly when I tried putting contacts in..I always have trouble with the eye exam, where they shoot air in your eye or photograph it up close..my eyes involuntarily close when something gets really close...

It's wierd, there are just some things I can't physically do, like snap my fingers, whistle, or swallow pills (have to grind them up).

Same here..my eyes watered horribly when I tried putting contacts in..I always have trouble with the eye exam, where they shoot air in your eye or photograph it up close..my eyes involuntarily close when something gets really close...

It's wierd, there are just some things I can't physically do, like snap my fingers, whistle, or swallow pills (have to grind them up).

I had such a hard time during the part of the exam where the doctor shined that super bright light into my eye...it was so hard to keep them open.

I can do the other things, although I'm not good at whistling.

Contacts are awesome, then again, I like having peripheral vision.

And I want to know when $200 became an obscene amount of money. Its not like I financed my sunglasses, I didn't pay 5.5% on them over 24 months. And they weren't big, gaudy D&G glasses, they were silver Oakleys that looked good, worked well, and would have lasted forever.

When I bought my mountain bike, someone told me that $700 was way too much because I could have gotten a Huffy at Wal-Mart for $90. I was well aware of that, I was also aware that if I was lucky, I could get one at Goodwill for $10. That didn't matter, because I was more than happy to pay extra for a quality bike. I guess I'm just weird, I'd rather get something that will last instead of getting some cheap, throw-away stuff that I'll be replacing in six months.

And I want to know when $200 became an obscene amount of money. Its not like I financed my sunglasses, I didn't pay 5.5% on them over 24 months. And they weren't big, gaudy D&G glasses, they were silver Oakleys that looked good, worked well, and would have lasted forever.

When I bought my mountain bike, someone told me that $700 was way too much because I could have gotten a Huffy at Wal-Mart for $90. I was well aware of that, I was also aware that if I was lucky, I could get one at Goodwill for $10. That didn't matter, because I was more than happy to pay extra for a quality bike. I guess I'm just weird, I'd rather get something that will last instead of getting some cheap, throw-away stuff that I'll be replacing in six months.

It's a matter of perspective and one's reality context...$200 isn't much to me, but for the po', it could be a big amount. Speaking of bikes, when I bought my mountain bike 10 years ago, it was $650 but was considered a relatively cheap model, I know plenty of people that spent $3500-4000 or more on a bike..

Not at all!

I'm the same way (with sunglasses and my bike)

With the sunglasses, I think it depends on how much you use them. Folks who don't use sunglasses that much can't/won't justify the expense. I have very sensitive eyes, so like you I'm always in sunglasses.

As far as the bike goes. Well, after a childhood of destroying crappy Wal-Mart bikes on trails and roads, I decided to buy a Trek and it has outlasted everything else I had combined.

EDIT: And BTW, thanks for reminding me that I never want kids. :)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Not at all!

I'm the same way (with sunglasses and my bike)

With the sunglasses, I think it depends on how much you use them. Folks who don't use sunglasses that much can't/won't justify the expense. I have very sensitive eyes, so like you I'm always in sunglasses.

As far as the bike goes. Well, after a childhood of destroying crappy Wal-Mart bikes on trails and roads, I decided to buy a Trek and it has outlasted everything else I had combined.

I use my sunglasses whenever I'm outside in the daylight..I am pretty light-sensitive, even driving on a cloudy day I prefer my sunglasses...and living in Co and Az, where it's very bright most of the time, they are a necessity, IMHO..

Treks are good..I had one years ago, it got stolen a couple months before I moved out of Michigan..I have a Specialized, haven't ridden it in a while, it was a lot of fun though.

I use my sunglasses whenever I'm outside in the daylight..I am pretty light-sensitive, even driving on a cloudy day I prefer my sunglasses...and living in Co and Az, where it's very bright most of the time, they are a necessity, IMHO..

Agreed (with all the recent pro sunglass comments). It wasn't until my first trip out to New Mexico that I realized it was so bright out that I needed sunglasses. Now, whether It's NM or So Cal, I wear them almost all the time! Sometimes even when driving... at night...

likes of Paris Hilton and Briney Sears.

Sorry 68, you must have misread whatever celebrity gossip blog you got your info from; those celebrities spend $2,000, not $200 on sunglasses.

I think you're loosing brain cells

That's pretty harsh.

Definitely nobody else's business.

Good for you. I bet Bob Barker just wet himself.

AGREED. I never wear prescription glasses. The night and day lenses are perfect; never have to worry about them.

Same here. I've never financed anything, and don't plan to. I don't have anything to prove, so I choose not to live beyond my means and risk bad debt. But $200 really isn't a lot of money at all. Seriously...that's the price of 4 video games. And if you take care of your things, like I do, they last and look great forever. I have 4 pairs of sunglasses, all ranging in price between $120 and $200, but I wear them all the time. All day, every day when I'm outside.

Oh yea, quality over value every day of the year, when the choices are mutually exclusive (hint: it is possible to get both sometimes). There's a big difference between finding a killer deal and buying things for cheap. Killer deals make you feel 10x better than the same item for retail price, while buying cheap is a serious mental downer. No one likes to own &#036;h&#33; that falls apart or breaks all the time.

Everyone I know with a Trek says they're fantastic. If and when I decide to replace my bike, I'll think about one, but I'll shop around more than I did last time.

Treks are pretty good. I liked mine.

Edited by Croc

When I bought mine, I went with a Gary Fisher because everyone I talked to that biked said it was a great bike for the price and what I'd be using it for. Its held up on roads and trails, and withstood some rather violent riding. I definitely dont regret it, it has proven to be a great investment.

I only had the one pair of sunglasses, which kinda sucked, because I always leave them in my car, so when I drive the other car, I have none, unless I actually remembered to grab them.

Try to stick with the USA-made Treks if possible. The drivetrain components on the made-in-China bottom feeders do leave a little to be desired in terms of reliability. I picked up a 1988 Trek 1200 for my sister (100% made in USA), and it's a very solid, well made bike that's as light as any $500-$1000 road bike I've seen. We got it in pretty rough condition, but after a new set of cables and tires, it runs like new.

Now that I learned how to service/replace bottom brackets, I've officially learned every aspect of bike maintenance, so I think from here on out it'll be custom builds for me - I enjoyed building up my Giant Yukon last year, and my restified Schwinn continues to defy the laws of physics.

*knock on wood and anything else worth luck* All that's been lost by my daughter has been one t-shirt, a watch, and a cheap pair of sunglasses (I normally wear mine all the time, and while I've had a good pair or two of Oakleys, right now I can't justify the expense considering that I've got a kid).

I bought one pair of sunglasses when I was about 12, haven't worn any since.

Yea that was me before moving to SoCal. Never needed them in Indiana, but MAN the sun's bright out west. After freshman year of college and wearing sunglasses every day, I NEED to now otherwise I just squint like crazy. My eyes just got really sensitive.

My eyes just got really sensitive.

Its more likely the oils in the skin below your eyes is reflective and it intensify the glare going into the eye. That's why football players have anti glare stuff below there eyes since they cant wear glasses on the field besides visors. When I was over seas in midlle east hell I wanted to use sun glasses but it wasnt allowed so we just used this sand colored make up foundation and it really does help. However, Sunglasses work better. Its glare its not your eyes.

Its more likely the oils in the skin below your eyes is reflective and it intensify the glare going into the eye. That's why football players have anti glare stuff below there eyes since they cant wear glasses on the field besides visors. When I was over seas in midlle east hell I wanted to use sun glasses but it wasnt allowed so we just used this sand colored make up foundation and it really does help. However, Sunglasses work better. Its glare its not your eyes.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I never felt like I needed to wear them until freshman year of college in Los Angeles. Now back in Indiana, I NEED to wear them even during cloudy weather. Yes, it's glare, but that and the skin oils don't really explain why I went 18 years never needing sunglasses in Indianapolis, to needing them every day after 9 months in SoCal.

First pair of sunglasses I got fell from the driver's visor of a '64 Merc Comet coupe in the junkyard- mirrored. I've bought similar style pairs ever since, last pair was $14. They last me about 2-3 years, but I'm hell on everything around me (clothes, shoes, sunglasses). I found out I cannot wear a wristwatch; apparently I move thru my surroundings with prohibitively close tolerances. I wear stuff until it's dead and then some.

Temporarily back in glasses after punching myself in the eye the other month (I kept getting on my nerves, so I had to put me in my place), but I've worn contacts for about 25 years now. I can also snap my fingers, whistle, wiggle my ears and cross my eyes independantly (all at once if I'm feeling particularly rambunctous) among numerous other feats of self control.

I cannot justify overpaying for something on the off chance it's 13 times better than a servicable alternative.... because that's a quality gap I've never, ever seen in actuality. On the other hand- I don't ever shop in WalMart, either.

This keeps getting better. We* have decided to go ahead and pay off the washer and tv instead of floating them on the credit card for a while, which means emptying my Jeep fund. :cry:

*We meaning I didn't put up a fight because I knew I was going to lose.

• 3 weeks later...

Not my son's fault (I assume) but my freaking computer took a massive dump today. My desktop is out of commission and I am freaking pissed. Windows wouldn't load, so I ran system restore, now Windows loads but I cant do a freaking thing, it tells me my desktop isn't accessible. I am about ten minutes away from buying an iMac.

Not my son's fault (I assume) but my freaking computer took a massive dump today. My desktop is out of commission and I am freaking pissed. Windows wouldn't load, so I ran system restore, now Windows loads but I cant do a freaking thing, it tells me my desktop isn't accessible. I am about ten minutes away from buying an iMac.

Ouch!