Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Satty

Oh the joys of parenthood

65 posts in this topic

Just this weekend:

$200 sunglasses-Lost (replacement cost: undetermined, but looking online I'm thinking $300ish)

$80 tube TV-destroyed (replacement cost: $900+ for a 26" LG LCD/DVD combo)

$20 dvd player-destroyed, in a separate incident (replacement cost: see above)

Cant wait to see what the rest of this week costs me.

My Dad still bitches at me occasionally about the time I was about 3-4, and I grabbed one of his screwdrivers out of an open toolbox and proceeded to partially dissemble his exercise bike. And then there was that time I took a novelty jumbo-sized magnet and discovered I could make cool rainbow colours on the TV screen with it.

Good times. 8)

Good to see someone (satty) is picking up the recent consumer spending slack. :wink:

The tv/dvd combo wasn't my idea, but I gave in cause I'm a wuss. The sunglasses are a weak spot of mine. The long lost pair was 3 years old, and I'll miss them, they fit my head perfectly.

The tv/dvd combo wasn't my idea, but I gave in cause I'm a wuss. The sunglasses are a weak spot of mine. The long lost pair was 3 years old, and I'll miss them, they fit my head perfectly.

It only gets worse as they get older, I know, I have a 16 year old.

Ouch. Feel you on losing $200 sunglasses. Not a happy feeling at all...

Well I don't want to feel you, but that's a LOT of moolah you're out, sir. Maybe you can put your son back where you got him?:huh:

Does it make you think back to your early days and remember some of the things you did to your parents?

Does it make you think back to your early days and remember some of the things you did to your parents?

Nope.....

Well I don't want to feel you, but that's a LOT of moolah you're out, sir. Maybe you can put your son back where you got him?:huh:

And speaking of shelling out $, I didn't even mention the new washing machine we had to get a few weeks ago. I knew that one was coming, but kept putting it off, then BAM! one day there was a big freaking puddle and a dead washing machine. The old dryer is going to die sometime soon, I just know it. I dont remember anyone telling me having a kid and a house would be so freaking expensive. <_<

Yeah, but if your friends break your &#036;h&#33;, you can beat them up and get the money back out of them. Cant do that with kids. Or dogs. Dont get me started on the state of my back yard.

Yeah, but if your friends break your &#036;h&#33;, you can beat them up and get the money back out of them. Cant do that with kids. Or dogs. Dont get me started on the state of my back yard.

Yep, pets have a knack for breaking things.

Paying $200 for sunglasses is an idiotic expenditure, well suited for the

likes of Paris Hilton and Briney Sears. I think you're loosing brain cells

driving that Toyopet with Volt-envy.

Unless your yearly income is more than the MSRP for a Porsche 911 Turbo.

I payed $200 for my daily driver Buick.

If I were working full-time instead of doing 25 hours/week and school, Jill and I would make close to six digits combined. That certainly wasn't the case when I bought the sunglasses, but they lasted 3 years. That works out to $70/year, which is the same as 7 $10 pairs of Wal-Mart sunglasses, which barely last a week. My Oakleys withstood everything I threw at the without breaking.

If I were working full-time instead of doing 25 hours/week and school, Jill and I would make close to six digits combined. That certainly wasn't the case when I bought the sunglasses, but they lasted 3 years. That works out to $70/year, which is the same as 7 $10 pairs of Wal-Mart sunglasses, which barely last a week. My Oakleys withstood everything I threw at the without breaking.

Yup, that's the lesson of paying more for something that will last then cheaping out and having it break soon after. Our recent issue witha Toilet seat backs up this theory.

My old glasses with were around $200 lasted me 6 years or so before breaking in half...that was a fun week while I had to wait for new ones.

Granted, those are prescriptions, and I probably wouldn't pay that for sunglasses either, because I rarely use them, and my next pair of glasses will be transitions...so no need, but they will cost around $200!.

If you've got the money for it then all the power to you.

Keep in mind, when I bought them, I was still delivering pizza, so I pretty much lived in sunglasses.

And speaking of prescription glasses, I've still got the pair I was forced to buy when I got habanero pepper in my eyes and couldn't wear my contacts and that was like 4 years ago. I had every intention of getting new glasses last time I went to the optometrist, but didn't bother since my prescription was the same and I only wear my glasses around the house. These were like $90 and they're still in great shape.

Edited by Satty

Paying $200 for sunglasses is an idiotic expenditure, well suited for the

likes of Paris Hilton and Briney Sears. I think you're loosing brain cells

driving that Toyopet with Volt-envy.

Unless your yearly income is more than the MSRP for a Porsche 911 Turbo.

I payed $200 for my daily driver Buick.

I paid over $300 for my prescription Ray Bans and over $300 for my prescription regular glasses... good glasses are expensive.

I paid over $300 for my prescription Ray Bans and over $300 for my prescription regular glasses... good glasses are expensive.

Yes they are.

That's a horse of a different color. My bad.

Original post said nothing of prescription... in which case $200 is probably more than reasonable.

I'm taking about, for example, the chicks who wear the giant, gaudy D&G glasses that,

along with the tramp-stamp, pretty much say white trash or ghetto trash... all while

costing more than many a necessity they go without.

That's a horse of a different color. My bad.

Original post said nothing of prescription... in which case $200 is probably more than reasonable.

I'm taking about, for example, the chicks who wear the giant, gaudy D&G glasses that,

along with the tramp-stamp, pretty much say white trash or ghetto trash... all while

costing more than many a necessity they go without.

Yeah, mine aren't blingy...some classy rectangular Ray Bans for the shades, and tiny ovalish polycarbonate rimless regular glasses w/ titanium temples (I get the smallest and lightest I can find because with my astigmatism and imbalance (right eye is much weaker than the left) they would be coke bottle thick if the lenses were large..

I kinda want to spend the 30 bucks to have the old glasses welded up so I have a "beater" pair I don't have to worry about scratching up when I do something that could cause that to happen.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0