Styling trends - short rear deck lids

Do you like/dislike short rear deck lids as a styling trend?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like/dislike short rear deck lids as a styling trend?

• Yes, they're fine
    • Eh, somewhat
    • Nah, mostly not
    • Not at all
    • Other - explain

As I see the new Lexus (help me out on the model number), the Maxima/Altima and now the 2010 LaCrosse, I think the short stubby rear deck lid is, for the most part, hideous. They are sedans, not fastbacks.

Not only that, it makes most of the trunk hidden, whereas with a "normally" proportioned rear trunk lid, you can actually look down at things from eye level and move them in, out or around. Maybe, in a rare instance, they might be ok, but mostly they are not ok in my book.

Your thoughts/vote?

I'm not really a fan, it depends on the car but generally I don't like them. I dislike the whole trend toward short decks and clown-car-like high beltlines and roofs. They make cars look awkward instead of graceful or athletic. Some of it is due to new safety regs, and the rest is due to the ridiculous "bigger is better" mentality that has morphed the Accord from a compact to a full-size car in a 20 year span.

As I see the new Lexus (help me out on the model number), the Maxima/Altima and now the 2010 LaCrosse, I think the short stubby rear deck lid is, for the most part, hideous. They are sedans, not fastbacks.

Your thoughts/vote?

Perhaps the Lexus GS? It has a really short tail. Very similar greenhouse and tail to the '10 LaCrosse.

I like the ultra short deck on the CTS coupe, since it's a fastback.. the short deck on the CTS sedan looks ok, IMHO.

What I don't like about so many of these designs, though, is the rear quarters end up very wedge-like with a tall, very short deck... it's amazing how tall some cars are from the top of the deck to the bottom of the fascia today..

One of the things I like about the Panthers is they are nicely balanced...longish hood, long decklid...that's an old-style proportion you don't see anymore... I always liked the proportions of the '90-97 Town Cars, perfect for a big American car, IMHO.

They look cooler but the smller opening limits the usefulness. Being as nearly all cars are designed this way today it alsmost forces you to get an SUV or a truck just to haul a box. Where a box fits in my 2 old ones. Yes you have to hook the trunklid when you do that but at least you can do it on those old B-bodies.