CNBC: Barack Obama on the Auto Industry

gmcbob

I don't feel overly comfortable getting into prolonged political discussions, but I honestly think that Barack Obama truly does want to help the Big 3 auto makers. I know he needs votes in key Midwestern states, but I also think he actually will try and do something about the predicament our auto industry is in if elected. (This particular discussion starts at around minute 2:20)

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV1Yq_KEAHQ

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel overly comfortable getting into prolonged political discussions, but I honestly think that Barack Obama truly does want to help the Big 3 auto makers. I know he needs votes in key Midwestern states, but I also think he actually will try and do something about the predicament our auto industry is in if elected. (This particular discussion starts at around minute 2:20)

Thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of Senator Obama, but I don't know what more he could possibly have said. He seems to understand legacy costs and the importance of the industry.

i think he is sincere in wanting to preserve the relevance of our AMERICAN companies in this industry.

Also, didn't he own a Chrysler 300?

I did read once that he owned a 300. I think he now drives an Escape Hybrid. I also heard McCain drives a CTS (or maybe it was a DTS).

Will loose any exciting cars left with Obama. McCain won't be alot better.

How do you figure? As long as there is consumer demand for exciting cars, they will remain available. They will just have to become more efficient. The true character of a sports car lies in its efficiency anyway, not its excess. Cars like the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang will have to change with the times. They will get smaller and lighter, which is a good thing.

Thoughts?

well it kind of goes with a lot of the things he said... he's a protectionist... he also is talking about making serious tax cuts for companies that create new american jobs, or retain american employees... so, i think hes on the side of the workers... he wants to make sure that they have a job every day, and i think he understands that if something is not done, the welfare of the majority of detroit could be at stake...

They will just have to become more efficient. The true character of a sports car lies in its efficiency anyway, not its excess. Cars like the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang will have to change with the times. They will get smaller and lighter, which is a good thing.

lets hope they do better than last time if they decide to do that

e2b5_1.JPG

7903_1.JPG

hehe 77 and 78 was not kind to the smaller more efficient mustangs :P

McCain has...

Cadillac CTS's ('04 and an '07)

Lincoln Town Car '00

Lexus RX (year not known)

Volkswagon Bug (year not known)

Toyota Prius (for Megan McCain year not known)

2007 Ford Pickup

I was just looking at your new sig and I realized something. If you photograph McCain from a low angle, it almost looks like he can wave normally..... almost. Heh. :tipsy:

Anybody know what all cars Obama and his wife owns? I am curious now.

I was just looking at your new sig and I realized something. If you photograph McCain from a low angle, it almost looks like he can wave normally..... almost. Heh. :tipsy:

Anybody know what all cars Obama and his wife owns? I am curious now.

Soon Obama and his family will be driving around in this gently used 2006 Cadillac!

2006-cadillac-dts-presidential-limo918.j

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

He will not spread the wealth in that direction. At this point he is telling eveyone what they want to hear to get elected. Fact of the matter is, Congress makes the laws. 80% of what Obama says, he will have no contol over.

Don't fall into his "marketing" propoganda. He reminds me of Toyota.

Keep in mind, Obama and the Dems are very pro-Union

Edited by BuddyP

Yet he's the candidate who understands what the "common man" is going through?

We got:

2004 Z85 silverado (dad)

2004 LS colorado (mine)

2001 s-10 blazer LT (mom)

1998 s-10 LS (sister)

1996 Buick century (back up)

1994 Z28 (dad)

1969 Impala (mine)

possibly a 1968 SS chevelle in the future (dad)

sounds kinda common to me.... but that may just be me....

We got:

2004 Z85 silverado (dad)

2004 LS colorado (mine)

2001 s-10 blazer LT (mom)

1998 s-10 LS (sister)

1996 Buick century (back up)

1994 Z28 (dad)

1969 Impala (mine)

possibly a 1968 SS chevelle in the future (dad)

sounds kinda common to me.... but that may just be me....

Yeah, I dont see any Cadillacs, Lexuses, Lincolns or hybrids on your list.

And Obama has an Escape hybrid.

He will not spread the wealth in that direction. At this point he is telling eveyone what they want to hear to get elected. Fact of the matter is, Congress makes the laws. 80% of what Obama says, he will have no contol over.

Don't fall into his "marketing" propoganda. He reminds me of Toyota.

Both sides actually. Toyota's Marketing Department could learn a lot from American politics in general. :unitedstates:

Are those 7 vehicles worth appx. $200,000+? Because estimating the cost of those cars (none more than 8 years old) bring me to about $220,000. How many "common men" have put nearly a quarter of a million dollars in their driveway(s) in less than a decade?

They are very pro any fringe group that gives them money.

If youi want change becareful of what you wish for as you might get it. Just ask a older Cuban or someone who voted for Hugo Chavez.

This problem is not something a president will settle it will take the treasury, Bankers and everyone in the Capital to find a way out.

I would give alittle nod to Mc cain on trying to save GM because he at least he drives GM cars. Other than that neither of these guys are spending any time worring about this right now.

Are those 7 vehicles worth appx. $200,000+? Because estimating the cost of those cars (none more than 8 years old) bring me to about $220,000. How many "common men" have put nearly a quarter of a million dollars in their driveway(s) in less than a decade?

had i their pay you better believe that cts-v would be in my yard. no doubt i would have a bidder's pass every january in arizona to boot. so obama has everyman cars... okay good but vehicles usually reflect income. one of my radiologist bought 2 mercedes because he couldnt decide on whether he liked black or white better. he also has a porsche cayenne or however you spell it. if you make the money buy wat you want. labeling someone because of their vehicle or how many they have? as baseless as the kill toyo drivers thread.

i'm not gunning after you satty i dont think we have ever crossed paths on here so dont think i am singling you out i just cant fathom the logic on that one.

I'm just wondering how a man with $200k+ invested in cars and millions invested in houses can be the "common man" candidate as others have called him. Common people have been struggling with making their mortgage payments (yes, its their own fault for getting those mortgages) and they dont have a vacation house in Coronado in case their vacation house in La Jolla gets foreclosed. McCain doesn't seem to understand the the price of milk, eggs, bread and condoms all went up when the price of gas went up, and thats what gave people who weren't having mortgage issues a big problem. I was just asking how John McCain understands what regular people are going through because it has been said by at least one member who has posted in this thread that he does.

BO made $4M last year. His sub-prime, backdoor deal McMansion also cost well over a million. His wife was pulling down $325+K in a PR position for a Chicago hospital. They're both lawyers. He's basically been walking on a crushed red carpet for the last 2 years, making pointless speeches as a U.S. presidential candidate in Germany as a "world citizen" and rubbing elbows for years with the radical A-list. This isn't the 'common man' experience, either.

Of course- no reporter has ever asked BO how many houses he owns or how many cars he owns (unless it was the reporters BO threw off his press junket Thursday because their papers endorsed JM- more squashing of the opposition voice- this guy is going to be GREAT at working against bipartisanship).

I'm just wondering how a man with $200k+ invested in cars and millions invested in houses can be the "common man" candidate as others have called him. Common people have been struggling with making their mortgage payments (yes, its their own fault for getting those mortgages) and they dont have a vacation house in Coronado in case their vacation house in La Jolla gets foreclosed. McCain doesn't seem to understand the the price of milk, eggs, bread and condoms all went up when the price of gas went up, and thats what gave people who weren't having mortgage issues a big problem. I was just asking how John McCain understands what regular people are going through because it has been said by at least one member who has posted in this thread that he does.

He has lived the "Common man" life throughout his life. He worked hard to get where he is now. I could not imagine going through what he did for 5 of those years in the service. What he has worked hard for his whole life, it was Obama wants to take away after doing all of that hard work. Obama has only done things for his own personal agenda throughout his career. I have reseached each candidate throuroghly and through the past record of each and that is why I chose who I chose to vote for. I'm not voting McCain because somebody told me to or because I'm a particular party member. I started out with this with a open mind to both candidates.

So the common man cheats on his disabled, disfigured wife with a millionaire beer heiress? I find it impossible to believe that anyone who is the son (and grandson) of an admiral has had a tough life. Especially compared to a guy raised by his mother and grandparents. Obama didn't have connections to get into Columbia or Harvard Law.

He has lived the "Common man" life throughout his life. He worked hard to get where he is now. I could not imagine going through what he did for 5 of those years in the service. What he has worked hard for his whole life, it was Obama wants to take away after doing all of that hard work. Obama has only done things for his own personal agenda throughout his career. I have reseached each candidate throuroghly and through the past record of each and that is why I chose who I chose to vote for. I'm not voting McCain because somebody told me to or because I'm a particular party member. I started out with this with a open mind to both candidates.

Reminds me of the hand-wringing amongst those earning under 200K when the cry to eliminate the "Death Tax" was echoing across the land not so long ago. The primary beneficiaries of the reduction of the Estate Tax were the top 1/2 of 1% of 'income earners', yet every Neo-Con 'joe the plumber' type felt invested in it's reduction. Rather like your hollow, lock-step dismissal of the next President of the United States, Barack Obama. The People's Choice.

It doesn't sound you've researched the past record of each candidate at all.

Edited by siegen

I think that in reality a candidate's commonness isn't much of a predictor of success. President Kennedy was far from a common background and by most accounts was an exceptional President (probably not quite as good as commonly thought of but still above average). President Nixon came from humble beginnings and did not finish his term.

As a point of truthfulness, I voted for neither Senators Obama nor McCain, however I do think a President Obama would do a better job than would a President McCain.

Edited by haypops

It doesn't sound you're researched the past record of each candidate at all.

apparently you haven't

Obama's is very shady (what little bit of it we know, still don't know why he's going to such lengths to keep the other half hidden)

To anyone who thinks all the men who has run for office has been a common man since Truman you have got to be kidding. Harry was one of the few who held the office who was what you could call common. Even Washington was a very wealthy man and was far from common.

The two we have before us are neither common or poor. At least one does not claim to be common or poor, besides it is his wifes money.

While I don't agree with Mccain on every thing Bama scares the hell out of me. He is great when he is on script in his delivery but once he is off he has whoppers and the real Bama comes out like with Joe the Plumber. It almost makes me wish Hillery was back and I can't stand her, she may be crooked but at least she some clue with out someones help.

Lets face it anyone who would want to be president has to have screw loose.

I know people want change but they better be carefull of what they wish for as they may just get it. Just ask the people who voted in Hugo Chavez in.

Edited by hyperv6

BO made $4M last year. His sub-prime, backdoor deal McMansion also cost well over a million. His wife was pulling down $325+K in a PR position for a Chicago hospital. They're both lawyers. He's basically been walking on a crushed red carpet for the last 2 years, making pointless speeches as a U.S. presidential candidate in Germany as a "world citizen" and rubbing elbows for years with the radical A-list. This isn't the 'common man' experience, either.

Of course- no reporter has ever asked BO how many houses he owns or how many cars he owns (unless it was the reporters BO threw off his press junket Thursday because their papers endorsed JM- more squashing of the opposition voice- this guy is going to be GREAT at working against bipartisanship).

But isn't that the point of the liberals in the first place?

The're supposed to be the 'tolerant' party, but they sure as hell can't stand conservatives (or anyone that disagrees with them, for that matter) Or so that seems to be the case now that we've heard them (through the media) bitch about "our horrible president" for 8 years instead of accepting defeat and unting to advance this country.

I find it very funny that people on here are referring to ANY politician as a common man. The politicians are the 'haves' and we the people are the 'have nots' and they'll make sure it stays that way.

That is the fundamental problem with this country and that is why nothing will get better. It's "every man for himself" and the politicians, liberal or conservative (as if there is even a huge difference now anyway) lost site of what the people needed a LONG time ago.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

So the common man cheats on his disabled, disfigured wife with a millionaire beer heiress? I find it impossible to believe that anyone who is the son (and grandson) of an admiral has had a tough life.

P.O.W. 'nuff said.

But then I wouldn't expect you to understand anyway.

And let's not go into the adultery game. Your boy Bill screwed around on Hilary with how many people? And then used his position as commander in chief to hide the truth and THEN lied to the american people in their own houses.

I think that in reality a candidate's commonness isn't much of a predictor of success.

I agree. And I really don't care too much how common they are either.

apparently you haven't

Obama's is very shady (what little bit of it we know, still don't know why he's going to such lengths to keep the other half hidden)

I have researched both, focusing mostly on their backgrounds and where they stand on issues. You assert that McCain worked harder to get where he is and is a "common man", and that we know little of Obama.

I will make the argument that Obama has worked significantly harder than McCain to get to where he is.

McCain was insubordinate in the Naval academy and graduated at the bottom of his class. He was a sub-par pilot, and crashed a total of 3 planes (plus 2 other planes that were not his fault). His father and grandpa having distinguished positions in the Navy undoubtedly helped him achieve his goals. After being captured in Hanoi, the only reason he received preferential and medical treatment, very possibly sparing his life, was because of his father's position in the Navy.

Don't get me wrong, when I first started researching the candidates, and having read about McCain and his time as a POW, I came away in awe, leaning towards voting for him and thinking of how honorable and respectable he was because of that. Seeing that photo of McCain being pulled out of his jet by hostiles certainly elicits strong emotions, as it must have in every American's heart. Here is a real war hero, honorable, who has seen the absolute worst, and came out fighting. Thankfully I am a very logical person and I don't let these strong patriotic emotions cloud my judgment. One thing I don't particularly like is how McCain brings up his time as POW, either directly or indirectly, and tries to use it to gain sympathy from listeners.

After the Navy, McCain's first job was provided to him by his wealthy father-in-law, and his successful run for US Senate in '82 is due in large part to financial backing from his wife's side of the family. Many political analysts believe McCain would not have been elected, at least in '82, without that financial backing. Today, McCain is one of the wealthiest senators due to his wife's stake in the family's Anheuser-Busch beer distributorship.

Speaking of "shady characters", you need look no further than McCain's marital status. You probably already read about it, McCain asked Cindy to marry him before he was legally divorced from Carol. And apparently McCain's first marriage children weren't too happy about it. I know Clinton's record, as FOG brought up, is absolutely no better, but he isn't running for President, and if he could I doubt he would win because of the controversy and the affair.

As far as Obama's life, which opponents like to think is shrouded in mystery. He was raised by his mom and grandparents, moved around a lot, including some time during his pre-teen years in Indonesia. He attended Occidental college and then Columbia University, majored in political science, graduating with a BA degree. For the next 8 years or so he had various jobs, including working at Business International Corp, working at the Public Interest Research Group in New York State, working as the director of Developing Communities Project, and working as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation.

In '88 he got into Harvard. He was selected at the end of his first year, based on his grades and a writing competition, as an editor of the Harvard Law Review, which is the oldest and one of the most cited law reviews in the United States. In his 2nd year, he was elected President of the the Law Review. During the summer of '89, he worked as an associate at the law firm of Sidley & Austin, one of the oldest law firms in the world and where he met his future wife who was also an associate. Obama graduated with a Juris Doctor "magna cum laude" from Harvard, and then was recruited by the University of Chicago Law School. There he taught and lectured in constitutional law for 12 years. Concurrently from 1993 to 2004 he worked with the Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland attorney law firm. Also during that time he served on the board of directors of a number of organizations.

Obama didn't have anyone pulling him along through his life, he didn't have a dad, or financial backing. Yet he has accomplished more in his life than many of us would ever dream of.

These are of course extremely summarized versions of McCain and Obama's biographies, but the information, plenty of it, is out there and very easy to find. Obama is not some unknown shady character who might turn out to be the anti-christ or a terrorist. This FUD that has been spread around about him is ridiculous.

I'm not sure how McCain's personal life has anything to do with past records. And if your basing his past marraige ordeal around all of that and it being immoral (yes I agree it was) then you should be horrified that Obama is pro-choice. I don't know what happened in his personall life then, nor do I care.

I see you left out many connections in Obama's past, yes many we've heard over and over about... and those have fully to do with his political career. Rezko hooked em up with a heck of a deal on a home and property. The fact that someone who's says they believe in this country and then listens to Rev. Wright for the past 20 years really has me scratching my head. But neither of those are even the reason's I'm not voting for him.

As far as the ani christ thing and Obama being a muslim, no I don't by any of that either.... even though Obama did say in a recent interview "my muslim faith", I'll go off on a limb and say he just slipped up.

The majority of what he says he's going to do, he has yet or never has explained how he was going to do that. Even in his 30 infomercial, there was nothing said in there that we didn't already know. Also his financial advisor was none other than Raines, CEO of Fannie May '99 to '04... who collected $$90M in the process of those 5 years. Bush warned of the economic turmoil possibilities back in '03, tried to do something about it and was stopped by the Dem's. McCain tried to do the same thing in '05, once again, stopped by the Dem's. Now Obama dares to sit and say it was failed Bush economics. BS! You can't even fully blame all of this on one party. Obama has got of his sheep following his lead.

The fact that most are so blind about all the actual facts of the current economical situation is what bothers me the most.

On a side note, why did the dem's put Biden in hiding????

Edited by BuddyP

On a side note, why did the dem's put Biden in hiding????

BOWLING GREEN, OH — In the final days of the race, where the candidates spend their time says a lot about their prorities.

With just two days to go, Obama is sending his top campaign asset - VP nominee Joe Biden - to the two states that have all but decided the last two presidential elections: Florida and Ohio.

Biden, who's been tasked with reaching out to white, blue collar workers, Catholics, and Jewish voters, will stump all day Sunday in North Florida - a region of the state that doesn't get as much attention as the I-4 corridor of Tampa and Orlando, or South Florida's Miami and West Palm Beach.

Then on Monday, he's back in working class Ohio, visiting the rust belt town of Akron. He'll wrap up the night with a rally in Philadephia, where Obama is heavily favored — but which is just minutes away from his home in Wilmington.

On Tuesday, he's expected to campaign in a swing state in the morning before joining Obama in Chicago for a huge election night rally.

full article