Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trinacriabob

BILINGUAL ballot...

Do you have a bilingual ballot in your state and does it piss you off?   23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a bilingual ballot in your state and does it piss you off?

• Yes, it pisses me off
    • It is somewhat aggravating
    • Meh, I don't care much
    • No, it's a good thing
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

68 posts in this topic

I went to vote at about 7:40 this AM. Had to wait about 20 minutes. There was an obvious lesbian couple in front of me (in the conservative suburbs, no less) but we have Prop 8 on our ballot in CA. Guess what? They were NICE to me, believe it or not, and we conversed a little bit, but mostly about the economy and because one of them worked for a homebuilder....and I was dressed in a very conservative coat and tie, so what's that offputting vibe I give off?

They hand me my ballot and HALF of it was in Espanol. Thus, there were equal portions of English and Spanish.

I'm sorry, but part of being a U.S. citizen implies that you speak the language to some rudimentary degree. When my Mom votes, she gets no special ballot, so she studies it ahead of time and seeks the translation. So, considering none of the immigrants from a past era or those who are not represented in large numbers DO NOT get a ballot in their language, yet ARE citizens, then I don't think there should be a bilingual ballot at all. Most people who have pride DO NOT want to be spoon fed, anyway. If there is a country I like to travel to for VACATIONS, for God's sake, I make it a point to learn their language.

These people getting a bilingual ballot LIVE HERE ... day in and day out.

Edited by trinacriabob

Its required by law if a certain percent of voters in the district speak a language other than English. Missouri has a law on the ballot today to make English the official language of the state, I'm not sure if it extends to ballots, since I think they're covered by HAVA.

Uh, Bob?

Quante lingue parli?

Cuantas lenguas hablas?

Combien de des langues parlez-vous?

I could keep going...

... but you get the idea. Get over it.

I have just resolved myself to the fact that this country is becoming more and more Spanish-speaking. Nothing will be done.

And honestly, with something as important as electing the president, wouldn't you want to make sure that people understand EXACTLY what they're filling out?

EDIT: to correct my spelling.

Edited by Paolino

Where's the 'I live in Canada' option? :P

boo hoo. Being exposed to spanish for some reason is perceived as anti american. Give em a break learning a foreign language is hard, im trying to learn spanish right now.

regardless...no excuse...if u cant speak the language of a country well enough you shouldnt vote in that country

Paulie, I didn't even catch the irony of the guy who posts in foreign languages on here starting this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

boo hoo. Being exposed to spanish for some reason is perceived as anti american. Give em a break learning a foreign language is hard, im trying to learn spanish right now.

It's not easy... I took 4 years of Spanish in HS and college... but it was Spain Spanish, not Arizona Spanish. I want to learn French---want to spend at least a month in France in '10.

It must be a county by county thing. I know in some areas the ballots are in Spanish, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Chinese and Russian but usually they are separate ballots and not bilingual.

>>"And honestly, with something as important as electing the president, wouldn't you want to make sure that people understand EXACTLY what they're filling out?"<<

With something as important as being involved in the political process, wouldn't you want to make sure that people understood EXACTLY what their president was saying in State of the Union addresses & press conferences ? Or are they already always broadcast in Spanish ?

Communication does wonders for relationships, why is this opposed ? Declare a national language and get everyone on board with it already.

Paulie, I didn't even catch the irony of the guy who posts in foreign languages on here starting this thread.

C'mon, Satty, I'm surprised you find it ironic.

For me, languages are the ultimate hobby. As a kid, I was shuttled back and forth between the US and Europe and went to K-3 overseas in another language, so I would look at the encyclopedia and see how much of the globe we traveled from LA to the Mediterranean... and everything in between. I am a native of this country and very proud of being American, but have an awareness of my European roots...nothing more.

The post was based on the fact that a Greek, an Italian, an Arab, a Czech or a Norwegian immigrant 30, 40 or 50 years didn't get this "luxury." I'm sure the people who are not well represented resent this. This morning, as I voted, I thought about this.

Yeah, it's tough. But at least the alphabet's characters are the same as that of Spanish, whereas, for some languages, they are not.

Edited by trinacriabob

Vote Aqui! :smilewide:

Tu eres muy comico, tipo peludo. :lol:

Ridiculous. Mine was bilingual. We need an official language law, now.

For the record, I think learning more than one language is a great tool to have. For one thing, it makes you understand your own better. I've been brushing up on my Portuguese once again because we are off to Brazil for a few weeks in February.

I saw on the news last night that in New Mexico (a certain twisted irony in the name alone, I am sure) 40% of the registered voters are Hispanic. I am not against bilingualism on ballots, per se, but let us be clear on one issue: LANGUAGE IS MERELY THE FLASHPOINT TO THE MUCH GREATER ISSUE THAT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SPEAK OF.

You guys south of the border only need to look to your northern neighbors to see where your country will be in twenty years: hopelessly fractured and in a downward spiral. The English/French divide that Canada has suffered for 200 years has created a wedge issue whereby since no one culture can dominate (as is in our Constitution), then all cultures are equally valid. This is creating an increasingly untenable situation with respect to the Aboriginals (who above all others lay claim to everything in Canada) and now to newcomers as well. We cannot defend Canadian 'culture' because we cannot define it. If we try, automatically Quebec is offended, then the Aboriginals weigh in and the entire discussion degenerates into a racist shouting match.

Make no mistake, if the United States is not unified by one over-riding culture and sense of shared values, it will fall into the same trap that Belgium and now Canada are sinking into. Take a look at your population growth: in 25 years Hispanics will be nearly on par with the general 'Euro' population.

All of you should be learning Spanish. It will be your official language in 25 years. :mind-blowing:

All of you should be learning Spanish. It will be your official language in 25 years. :mind-blowing:

Biz,

I already speak it fluently. I took it in college (univ. in Canadian talk). I took it for an easy "A" and so I could use it on vacation in Spain and Argentina, not to have a discussion over a fender-bender with an illegal alien or order a BK Veggie without onions....this one squatty Mexican chick kept screwing up my order so I finally raised my voice and said "Sin cibolla, entiende?" She got it...ON HER TERMS.

Edited by trinacriabob

english is missouri's language now for all official political stoof.......starting next year i guess.

+1

My grandparents will likely never be able to read English, but they are Americans and their votes deserve to be counted nonetheless.

For the record, I think learning more than one language is a great tool to have. For one thing, it makes you understand your own better. I've been brushing up on my Portuguese once again because we are off to Brazil for a few weeks in February.

I saw on the news last night that in New Mexico (a certain twisted irony in the name alone, I am sure) 40% of the registered voters are Hispanic. I am not against bilingualism on ballots, per se, but let us be clear on one issue: LANGUAGE IS MERELY THE FLASHPOINT TO THE MUCH GREATER ISSUE THAT WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SPEAK OF.

You guys south of the border only need to look to your northern neighbors to see where your country will be in twenty years: hopelessly fractured and in a downward spiral. The English/French divide that Canada has suffered for 200 years has created a wedge issue whereby since no one culture can dominate (as is in our Constitution), then all cultures are equally valid. This is creating an increasingly untenable situation with respect to the Aboriginals (who above all others lay claim to everything in Canada) and now to newcomers as well. We cannot defend Canadian 'culture' because we cannot define it. If we try, automatically Quebec is offended, then the Aboriginals weigh in and the entire discussion degenerates into a racist shouting match.

Make no mistake, if the United States is not unified by one over-riding culture and sense of shared values, it will fall into the same trap that Belgium and now Canada are sinking into. Take a look at your population growth: in 25 years Hispanics will be nearly on par with the general 'Euro' population.

The population growth among Latinos will be from raising families, not new immigrants... and children of immigrants assimilate pretty much instantly in the US. From what I see, that generation shares the same culture and shared values as everybody else. This ain't Canada.

I found it ironic because on C&G, people can open a thread about cars and find a couple of members posting in foreign languages, taking away from the usefulness of the thread. Thats far more irritating than having two languages on a ballot you look at every four years.

Since the Latino vote went to Obama, I expect Republicans to try to make English the country's official language, which would be pretty un-American. Might as well take down the Statue of Liberty's tablet.

English should be our official language. Why does it even have to be said?

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...but only if they speak English

I dont think they can add that to the tablet.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...but only if they speak English

I dont think they can add that to the tablet.

Oh I don't know...I hear laser engraving is quite good these days.

Satty, what are you yammering about? I am talking about people who make NO EFFORT to assimilate into our culture by learning English and speaking it to do business. In my business, I run into this problem too often. The onus is on THEM to get up to speed, not on ME, a natural born citizen.