GM ends Buick sponsorship of Tiger Woods

Well given the fact that the typical Buick buyer vividly remembers a time when black people weren't allowed to play golf on the same courses as whites were and probably still wishes it was like that, it was kind of a f@#ked up and useless pairing from the beginning. No loss at all if you ask me.

Whatever happened to the good old days of Arnold Palmer selling Cadillac Eldorados?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26_4FjCYuFY

If the cars were that good would you have to rub Tiger all over them to get people to buy them?

The spokesman is a dying concept in todays maket. Image rules. The buyer wants to know what is this car going to do for me an how will it make me look when I pull up to the resturant door.

Edited by hyperv6

If the cars were that good would you have to rub Tiger all over them to get people to buy them?

The spokes man is a dying concet in todays maket. Image rules. The buyer wants to know what is this car going to do for me an how will it make me look when I pull up to the resturant door.

:yes:

Better money saved for the product....

I'm going out on a limb here and saying Tiger resulted in a total of ZERO sales. I'm pretty certain that Buick didn't sell a car because of Tiger and that if they had put a nobody in the commercials instead, they would have seen the same sales.

I think it's good that GM is going to save the money. I think they would be better off showing the product in the commercials. Err wait, I took a look at Buick's lineup and change my opinion. DO NOT show the product, instead hire the beer company marketing department to put a bunch of sexy young people in the cars having a party.

In all seriousness though. They just need to show the cars and tell them why they should be part of the Buick family. What kind of image you get when people see you in a Buick. Oh wait...

Ok, let's just put Buick in a pillow case and bury it out back by the oak tree.

Buick doesn't have product, besides the enclave worth showing. The Enclave overlaps the Acadia too much anyway and in this market people are going to save a couple of grand and get the SAME vehicle from GMC. I really think GM should not waste the marketing on Buick until their entire line is up to snuff and worth buying.

I find spokesmen are effective to draw attention in a well done comercial.

They are few but most recent the Sprint phone with Ozzy has been effective to get people to talk.

It may not sell phones but it did get people to talk.

lets face it people in suits don't buy M3's and M5's becsue many do track time. They do it because it make them feel "I am Bad, I am Cool I am the Breeze!"

Even every nerd has a inner image that he wants to be seen as Dirty Harry. Every CEO and Company President wants to be seen as important as he feels he needs to be. Image is power.

Just with what Buick has to offer it says I retired to Florida and can't afford a Benz or even a Caddy.

I never thought he was worth the extravagant price tag; IMO he came off as somewhat aloof and of questionable sincerity. I also never felt the connection. I also believe a marque should spread it's advertisment/endorsement buck around. I've seen numerous of his ads, too.

I'm the same.....I've never thought he was the type of demographic that Buick should be going towards......seems GM picked Tiger simply because he was, at the time, the biggest name in golf instead of picking a true golf professional that could accurately convey the type of consumer Buick was trying to attract.....(middle aged, successful, upscale, but not geriatric.)

This is a good idea, it saves them $7 million a year and they need to save wherever possible. I never liked the deal in the first place, and he made little or no impact on sales, since Buick sales have dropped every year since they signed him. They need to cut every celebrity endorsement, cut the private jets and cap executive pay if they want a bailout.